Latics 1sts

first team to play an away fixture at home?

blackburn rovers at christmas in the 80's

I remember that - it turned out to be a great idea, didn't it? Doh!

First team to have a "greyhound night" players & fans event turn into a punch-up AKA "Dog-gate"

First team to have a player leave by announcing it in a national newspaper column AKA "Blog-gate"

First team to broadcast their commentator's half-time toilet habits over the internet AKA "Log-gate"

:lol:

Edited by martjs

First team to have a matched scheduled to be screened on Sky postponed due to frostbound pitch ( I think. please correct if I am wrong)

League fixture against Everton

Liverpool weren't it? Boxing Day '92 or was it the first re-arranged game March '93 - actually played May 93 as part of the Great Escape trilogy...

First team to have a matched scheduled to be screened on Sky postponed due to frostbound pitch ( I think. please correct if I am wrong)

League fixture against Everton

werent we also the first team to have a tv game postponed due to a ww2 bomb v sheff utd away early 90s

Another Latics 1st, thank you Diego.

Latics and Kettering,, known as ‘The Poppies’ because their ground was built on a poppy field, were the first to do that on 11th November 2006. It was appropriate that year because the match was played on the day that commemorated the 88th anniversary of the guns falling silent on Armistice Day.The profits from the auctioned shirts went to the Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal.

Since then they haven’t played on the 11th of the 11th month, so to do it on the nearest match day would not have the same special significance, although other clubs have done it to be seen to be doing it.

Gregan has only scored for us when wearing a poppy on his shirt. Perhaps he could pin one to his captain's armband. :wink:

probably the first and only team to replace a perfectly fine undersoil heating system and replace it with a plastic pitch which lasted around 2-4yrs?

David Ashworth the first manager to watch the game while standing on the roof of the old broadway stand?

Former Latics player Sam Wynne was the first player to ever die during a match in 1927 i think he was playing for bury though.

Frankie Bunn the first player to score 6 goals in a League cup fixture.