Season Over - 7/11/09

So nobody is interested in seeing a manager construct a side that gradually improves, making changes as needed and, hopefully, turning it in to a force for potential promotion over the next couple of seasons?

Wonder if those with so little patience have problems with premature ejaculation?

Patience is a virtue, but it's the same thing season after season. No sustainable progress is ever made. In two years time we are guaranteed a new manager and an almost new squad-of average players due to lack of finance. And so it will start again.

"Land to the rear of 232 Nel Pan Lane, Leigh, WN7 5LA

freehold land approximately 1.33 hectares (0.54 acres) with residential planning consent for 8 dwellings

Bottom Guide £120,000 Top Guide £140,000"

So, roughly 8 dwellings on half an acre, that'd give 300 on 18 acres (well, less than 300 but let's dream the dream).

TTA have spent £6m buying the land from the council + £0.5m a year (this should be in the OAFC accounts - has anyone downloaded tham from companies house?) for 6 years- so that's £3m on top.

Total spent £9m.

Let's say the new ground (they have to buy the land and build a stadium and do all the planning bits and pieces) costs £9m (I think that's cheap, but I might be wrong). That's £18m.

So, then they want to "make a killing" - well, 6 years time, £6m up front (you'd want 5% per year back on that minimum - that's £1.8m to day (£6m x 5% x 6 years), then there's the £0.5m a year, let's average that at £1.5m over the 6 years for interest; £0.45m.

Ok, where are we at - £18m + £1.8m + £0.45m = £20.25m

Oh, hang on, all we've done is got 5% back on investment, that's not a "killing" - we'd need, well, what? 25% on top? More?

Ah, call it 25% on the £6m + £3m, another £2.25m.

Total = £22.5m

All they need to do from there is get £22.5m / 300 houses...

Oh, hang on £75,000 per plot before build costs and builders profit and before any planning spend requirements.

Anyone want to buy a semi for £225k at the moment? What's that...only £17,500 per plot in leigh?

Good point well made, but it won't convince the profits of doom.

Cheer yourselves up with this video of happier times.

Some fantasic memories there Diego :grin:

It's just such a pity that the majority of those at BP these days cannot remember these times, when we had such a proud, fantastic club to support.

On the tactical side, it's amazing to me how many of those goals were created from wing play and or dangerous crosses, something that seems to be missing from the modern game. Today everything is about defence, keeping bunched up in a tight unit and playing through the middle. Oh for a modern day Rick Holden or Neil Adams with a Denis Irwin or Andy Barlow bombing on from behind. Happy days :grin:

It's just such a pity that the majority of those at BP these days cannot remember these times, when we had such a proud, fantastic club to support.

On the tactical side, it's amazing to me how many of those goals were created from wing play and or dangerous crosses, something that seems to be missing from the modern game. Today everything is about defence, keeping bunched up in a tight unit and playing through the middle. Oh for a modern day Rick Holden or Neil Adams with a Denis Irwin or Andy Barlow bombing on from behind. Happy days :grin:

Brilliant , lifted the gloom a little , amazing how many goals we scored at Maine Road.

Also note for todays team , every time the ball was crossed there was a least 4 latics players in and around the six yard box looking to score , these days we are lucky to get 4 players in the 6 yard box all the game.

The experts rave about Beckham's right foot, but Rick Holden was the best crosser of a ball with either foot.

About 10 years ago in the Isle of Man, Mrs. S. and I were listening in the car to a tape of commentaries on our great Cup runs, as you do, while driving to Peel. As we turned into the football ground to watch our lads training, Rick was stood at the side of the pitch. He lived over there and was the player who brought great success to Peel FC, where he is now manager. We reminisced about those Cup games and he said it was impossible to bring together a group of players as good as that nowadays.

In the rarely wrong Chron last week Big Joe was saying the same thing.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...nt-happen-again

Can't get my head around how good we really were in the early nineties.

You look at today's set up and we are sadly light years away!!

It is really sad to see the demise of our club over the last 15 years and I think it is extremely difficult for some of our older supporters to get excited by the current crop and the main reason why we aren't attracting youngsters to come and watch and why crowds are falling away!

I will never forget that period in our history when we just played with so much freedom and attacked for the whole 90minutes, when you just couldn't wait for the next match to come along but unfortunately it raised the bar of expectation at the club and we have genuinely suffered as a result!

It is really sad to see the demise of our club over the last 15 years and I think it is extremely difficult for some of our older supporters to get excited by the current crop and the main reason why we aren't attracting youngsters to come and watch and why crowds are falling away!

I will never forget that period in our history when we just played with so much freedom and attacked for the whole 90minutes, when you just couldn't wait for the next match to come along but unfortunately it raised the bar of expectation at the club and we have genuinely suffered as a result!

Precisely. And it's difficult to raise any enthusiasm when plans to build a 12000 capacity stadium send us a clear indication that barely any pretence will be made towards trying to recreate days like the early nineties.

Survival at lower league level is the aim. And it won't work Because, as we are already seeing, not enough people are interested in it.

I recollected the good old days to cheer up people, but I appreciate that it may have just made things even more gloomy. The comparison isn't fair, because in the early nineties we weren't a Third Division Club. The difficult thing to do is compare today's set up with that at the average Third Division club in the nineties.

Rick Holden scores at St. James' Park, Newcastle.

You know what else is making me a bit sad here is how my support and perhaps love for the club has changed........ I was at all these games that Diego has posted highlights from and can remember them like they were yesterday........ and I couldn't even tell you much about the Stockport game in August.

But enough of the doom and gloom, I think the thing we need to think about is how to break this cycle as fans. We can all accept that a new stadium etc etc is needed to get the club moving forward in one way...... but on a more simple level, how can we as supporters make some changes like creating a good atmosphere or whatever. As I say, we've seen some dire times right before the pinch me years, but it was still fun to follow our team. How are we going to get back to those days?

You know what else is making me a bit sad here is how my support and perhaps love for the club has changed........ I was at all these games that Diego has posted highlights from and can remember them like they were yesterday........ and I couldn't even tell you much about the Stockport game in August.

As I say, we've seen some dire times right before the pinch me years, but it was still fun to follow our team. How are we going to get back to those days?

The differences between now and then have to do with both the wider game and what's happened to the club itself. It didn't cost a club anywhere near as much to compete effectively in those days. It was, as we saw at Latics, almost as much to do with the skills of a manager and the squad he asembled as to money. Good competitive sides were created on modest budgets even at the highest level. This is much rarer nowadays.

As far as Latics goes, we were arguably punching above our weight from 1974 and this, along with the previously undreamt of cup runs and Premier League campaigns, saw a generation of Latics fans grow up with raised expectations. Fifteen years of uninterrupted decline has eaten into that support, and memories of the so-called pinch-me years and our long period in the second tier explainswhy there is probably a lot more gloom around BP than you'd find at Rochdale or Bury. Or Wycombe or Shrewsbury. Or almost any minnow club alongside whom we are set to take our place in terms of status within the game. The fans of that era have, as is often reflected on this board, been in some part replaced by those who came along in the period of decline. The newer fans, inevitably and understandably, have much reduced expectations, and this explains the loss of ambition at the club.

The differences between now and then have to do with both the wider game and what's happened to the club itself. It didn't cost a club anywhere near as much to compete effectively in those days. It was, as we saw at Latics, almost as much to do with the skills of a manager and the squad he asembled as to money. Good competitive sides were created on modest budgets even at the highest level. This is much rarer nowadays.

As far as Latics goes, we were arguably punching above our weight from 1974 and this, along with the previously undreamt of cup runs and Premier League campaigns, saw a generation of Latics fans grow up with raised expectations. Fifteen years of uninterrupted decline has eaten into that support, and memories of the so-called pinch-me years and our long period in the second tier explainswhy there is probably a lot more gloom around BP than you'd find at Rochdale or Bury. Or Wycombe or Shrewsbury. Or almost any minnow club alongside whom we are set to take our place in terms of status within the game. The fans of that era have, as is often reflected on this board, been in some part replaced by those who came along in the period of decline. The newer fans, inevitably and understandably, have much reduced expectations, and this explains the loss of ambition at the club.

I don't disagree with what you say here Corp and it does make me feel sad about Latics and profeesional football in general.

Maybe I'm being a bit of a dreamer, but I wonder if there isn't something that us fans can do (after all we will be the ones that will still care long after TTA, Dave Penney or the current crop of players etc) to buck this downwards spiral? We are fairly powerless in terms of pumping money in, our having the skills to change things on the pitch but I wonder what part can we play in terms of halting the slide and turning it around?

In other words do we accept what has happened and is happening, or do we give up? I know what I think we should do.

I don't disagree with what you say here Corp and it does make me feel sad about Latics and profeesional football in general.

Maybe I'm being a bit of a dreamer, but I wonder if there isn't something that us fans can do (after all we will be the ones that will still care long after TTA, Dave Penney or the current crop of players etc) to buck this downwards spiral? We are fairly powerless in terms of pumping money in, our having the skills to change things on the pitch but I wonder what part can we play in terms of halting the slide and turning it around?

In other words do we accept what has happened and is happening, or do we give up? I know what I think we should do.

There will always be an hardcore who will never give up. But cheering louder, singing campaigns, clearing snow off the pitch, shaking buckets or any other kind of voluntarism will not halt the slide towards our becoming another Rochdale-in-a-modern-(small)-stadium (ie towards oblivion). Only very serious investment can do that in today's game.

That's what's known as.........er............thingymajig.........er...... what's it called.......er............that's it......

dementia.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns