New stadium

The thing is, Corp conventiently ignores the fact that building a 16,000 seater does not guarantee us from eternity in the lower leagues. So, ambition is fine, but it achieves nought.

And the fact that buiding a 12k stadium with sustainability planned in could actually free up much needed funds for the playing side and give a chance of getting out of this god forsaken league.

Here's another prediction. No significant money for the playing squad will be forthcoming from anything built at Failsworth. Any 'sustainabilty' will go toward ensuring that the club ticks over at third or fourth division level.

Of course building a 16000 capacity stadium doesn't guarantee promotion. Nobody has tried to claim it does. It does reflect some kind of ambition to play at a higher level, however. A 12000 stadium indicates that any flirtation with the Championship will be brief and Scunthorpe-style (although that it more than we can realistically hope for when you consider that the quota of minnow clubs who achieve this has already probably been filled. OAFC is restyling itself as a minnow club in the vain hope that it can emulate historically smaller clubs who now look down on us. As is becoming the norm, Latics miss the boat yet again.)

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You point about getting out of this league in a 12k stadium which is sustainability planned is a very good point.

BUT (isnt there always :grin: )

Once in the Championship and you want to make the push towards the prem / just stay in the league...it is then you find that a 12k stadium comes back and bites you in the arse. No doubt you will say we will simply expand. So where do you find the millions needed for the expansion AND the money to bulk up the squad ?

We won't need to expand when the plan is to finish 19th or come straight back down. This is what minnow clubs, with stadiums as small as 12000 seats generally do. It will be sold to us as enormous success, along with some promises of doing better next time.

Forget expansion; it's a red herring.

Diego: From the Forum ( or as CJ prefers to call it, "A public meeting with ready-made answers to all the obvious questions was cobbled together before most people had had time to digest the news" on 10th August:

Interesting quote that:

1. I certaintly credit plenty of people who went with enough sense to think on their feet. It was not like it was announced at the meeting, it was weeks before. I credit CJ with the ability to think on his feet also.

2. CJ told he he foresaw this when the oringinal plans were announced, and also onumberous times after and prior to the meeting, he recalls that he was a lone visonary in this regard.

Has History been rewritten before our very eyes, just to make an argument seem more valid?

As I say to Leyland Latic, if you're bored you can loojk at my posting history.

And stop appealing to Wise Elders for support. Stand on your own two feet like a man.

From the Forum ( or as CJ prefers to call it, "A public meeting with ready-made answers to all the obvious questions was cobbled together before most people had had time to digest the news" on 10th August:

Since when did we have to automatically swallow something just because a club official serves it up.

As if Hardy would have said anything else under the circumstances.

I don't know. I haven't considered the possibility because it simply will not happen.

While I agree with the general flow of a lot you say... You simply can not dismiss such things as not being a possibility... Well you can...but its like arguing the sky is not blue...

Edited by oafc0000

Since when did we have to automatically swallow something just because a club official serves it up.

As if Hardy would have said anything else under the circumstances.

Now we reach the crux of the matter - some accept in good faith what they're told in public, others prefer to ignore that and operate on rumour and speculation.

Each to his own.

I don't know. I haven't considered the possibility because it simply will not happen.

So the owners will set the playing budget and appoint a manager specifically high and good enough to ensure that we remain in the lower two leagues? Neat trick.I suppose if they appoint some relatively unheard of young manager who punches well above the weight of the playing budget they would just call him into the office and ask him to calm it down a bit? You do spout some :censored:e at times.

While I agree with the general flow of a lot you say... You simply can not dismiss such things as not being a possibility... Well you can...but its like arguing the sky is not blue...

I don't believe that there's the slightest intention on the part of the club to get promoted in the forseeable.

Think about it-we failed three times with stronger squads than this one.

I don't believe that there's the slightest intention on the part of the club to get promoted in the forseeable.

Think about it-we failed three times with stronger squads than this one.

That might be true... That dose not mean it dose not remain a possibility... Pretty much everything is possible...

So the owners will set the playing budget and appoint a manager specifically high and good enough to ensure that we remain in the lower two leagues? Neat trick.I suppose if they appoint some relatively unheard of young manager who punches well above the weight of the playing budget they would just call him into the office and ask him to calm it down a bit? You do spout some :censored:e at times.

Both Penney and club officials have made it quite clear, if you read between the lines, that promotion is not expected. It isn't, after all, as if this hasn't received enough comment on here-satisfied with a mid-table finish, 'season of consolidation' etc. (Yawn.)

Both Penney and club officials have made it quite clear, if you read between the lines, that promotion is not expected. It isn't, after all, as if this hasn't received enough comment on here-satisfied with a mid-table finish, 'season of consolidation' etc. (Yawn.)

Several times recently our owners have planned a reduced budget yet ended up spending loads on loan players in a bid to win promotion, and I seem to recall get a couple in from a higher division just last week. Explain please?

That's pretty much exactly what happened season after season at Blackburn, pre-Walker.

Now we reach the crux of the matter - some accept in good faith what they're told in public, others prefer to ignore that and operate on rumour and speculation.

Each to his own.

I've accepted at face value, over the years, enough of what comes out of the club to have become extra-cautious. I'm not on my own, either. There's many an Oldhamer who remains so cautious that coming anywhere near Sheepfoiot Lane now brings them out in a cold sweat.

Several times recently our owners have planned a reduced budget yet ended up spending loads on loan players in a bid to win promotion, and I seem to recall get a couple in from a higher division just last week. Explain please?

As I say, it's all a matter of what you believe.

Put it this way-if we get promoted this season I'll donate £100 to a charity of your choice, if you'll do the same if I'm correct.

Others have bottled this challenge in the past.

I still can not understand where their heads where when they sacked Sheridan with 7 games to go...:censored:ing stupidity is the only thing I can think of...

Most the football leagues fans could not get their heads around it either... F**king laughing stock again... and a big reason why I cant be arsed any more...

Edited by oafc0000

As I say, it's all a matter of what you believe.

Put it this way-if we get promoted this season I'll donate £100 to a charity of your choice, if you'll do the same if I'm correct.

Others have bottled this challenge in the past.

Can you specify what will be the triggers for the bet being won or lost please?

I still can not understand where their heads where when they sacked Sheridan with 7 games to go...:censored:ing stupidity is the only thing I can think of...

Most the football leagues fans could not get there heads around it either... F**king laughing stock again... and a big reason why I cant be arsed any more...

Fine, you were against sacking Sheridan, as were a proportion (but I very much doubt a majority) of Oldham fans.

Many others were in favour, all be it with a heavy heart, because they could see Sheridan had completely lost it.

And although I remember a few conversations with other fans along the lines of "I thought you were doing ok", when I showed them our form and told them a few of the inside stories (those I believed, not the fanciful crap that filled this place at the time) they invariably understood the decision.

But all that has got absolutely feck all to do with where we are now and the subject of this thread.

As I say to Leyland Latic, if you're bored you can loojk at my posting history.

And stop appealing to Wise Elders for support. Stand on your own two feet like a man.

I was not appealig to Diego for support, merely quoting the releveant bit of text. It was the doubters within the wider readership of OWTB who I had in my sights.