New stadium

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expansion? Presumably if there is going to be the possibility for the future it would have to be from filling in corners, therefore it isn't planned to be a bowl design?

There will be no expansion. Ever. You don't need to expand when your crowds have dropped to 3000 because you're permanently struggling, with a constant turnover of jaded journeymen footballers, in the bottom third of the third division (or mid-table in the fourth.)

Edited by Corporal_Jones

There will be no expansion. Ever. You don't need to expand when your crowds have dropped to 3000 because you're permanently struggling, with a constant turnover of jaded journeymen footballers, in the bottom third of the third division (or mid-table in the fourth.)

:lol:

I love your consistency :)

Thanks for clarifying :chubb:

This list may illustrate Corps concern, with a 12,000 capacity stadium Latics would be an a par with Div 1 and 2 clubs.

Gound capacities

Edited by BP1960

We're going to have the same size ground as the mighty Gateshead. Yippee.

The moral of the tale: a 12000 ground means a 3000 crowd. The new Latics fans' mantra.

I like this one from the list;

Prenton Park 16,789 Tranmere Rovers League One. Looking to increase capacity to 30,000 should Tranmere get in to the Premiership. :grin:

To be fair didnt they say they would try to make it unique and I really hope that they somehow manage to build a 4 sided ground thats close to the pitch with no big gaping corners that is somehow unique and not like Shrewsbury and Colchester....

Simon Corney:

We want to build something that looks unique or at least has the potential to look unique, we will have parts of the new stadium that will not be seen commonly elsewhere.

Will they include amusement arcades to keep the kids amused? Smoking lounges? Reasonably priced bars? Real fast food (A La Arsenal)? Betting shops? Internet cafes? Adequate toilets? Video screen playbacks?

Or do they mean a 24-bay treatment room and dedicated early-exit gates?

This list may illustrate Corps concern, with a 12,000 capacity stadium Latics would be an a par with Div 1 and 2 clubs.

Gound capacities

But we are a division one club and have been so for 15 years. We didnt even get 3000 home fans in the ground on Saturday and didnt even manage 4800 home fans for our local derby.... I think 12000 is big enough for the time being, infact i think 8000 would be big enough :wink:

Someone I know who is well placed at the club has told me that the playing surface will be about 12feet below ground level. there's a retractable cover that will protect from flooding. Most importantly it means that the "single- storey" delivers more seats than might otherwise be imagined.

But we are a division one club and have been so for 15 years. We didnt even get 3000 home fans in the ground on Saturday and didnt even manage 4800 home fans for our local derby.... I think 12000 is big enough for the time being, infact i think 8000 would be big enough :wink:

Might as well have 8000 when the plan is to tread water in the lower divisions.

In fact why not reduce it to 5000 on the basis of our current home gates? After all, there's no basis for thinking things will get any better.

There is no 'for the time being,' by the way. Once it's built that's it.

Someone I know who is well placed at the club has told me that the playing surface will be about 12feet below ground level. there's a retractable cover that will protect from flooding. Most importantly it means that the "single- storey" delivers more seats than might otherwise be imagined.

12000 seats would seem to be 12000 seats however the ground is laid out. Would it not?

In fact why not reduce it to 5000 on the basis of our current home gates? After all, there's no basis for thinking things will get any better.

Well to be fair, until there are detailed plans we don't know that for a fact. We need to see plans to see if any future expansion is a possibilty.

Well to be fair, until there are detailed plans we don't know that for a fact. We need to see plans to see if any future expansion is a possibilty.

That it may be a possibility is not the issue. The issue is that limiting it to 12000 in the first place indicates that there are no plans to stage any games where more than 12000 are expected. When you consider that we had more than 12000 against Huddersfield in the cup less than a couple of years ago, that should tell you something.

No big games=no expansion even if there's technically room for it.

That it may be a possibility is not the issue. The issue is that limiting it to 12000 in the first place indicates that there are no plans to stage any games where more than 12000 are expected. When you consider that we had more than 12000 against Huddersfield in the cup less than a couple of years ago, that should tell you something.

No big games=no expansion even if there's technically room for it.

But with what I'll call the "sunken option" the cost of expansion is much lower and if there's evidence of demand then it can be done. And there's still the option of going bigger with additional planning permissions.

Simon is that you?

But with what I'll call the "sunken option" the cost of expansion is much lower and if there's evidence of demand then it can be done. And there's still the option of going bigger with additional planning permissions.

How many ways can it be said that placing a 12000 limit on capacity renders all talk of expansion redundant. As I've just said, when you consider that we got more than 12000 in the cup against Huddersfield less than a couple of years ago, the 12000 limit on capacity should tell you summat.

Carry on though, please do.

Edited by Corporal_Jones