New stadium

How many ways can it be said that placing a 12000 limit on capacity renders all talk of expansion redundant. As I've just said, when you consider that we got more than 12000 in the cup against Huddersfield less than a couple of years ago, the 12000 limit on capacity should tell you summat.

Carry on though, please do.

I've counted one, so far. Sadly this way doesn't convince me that the proposition is anything more than conjecture and suposition based on assumptions that don't carry any factual weight.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many ways can it be said that placing a 12000 limit on capacity renders all talk of expansion redundant. As I've just said, when you consider that we got more than 12000 in the cup against Huddersfield less than a couple of years ago, the 12000 limit on capacity should tell you summat.

Has that actually been stated Corp? (genuine question)

Whilst the attendence was over 12k that did include 4500 visitors. The fact was that we still couldnt sell all our tickets against our local rivals in the 4th round of the FA cup. 8200 home fans after the euphoria of beating Everton and Leeds in the same week... It was the same in the playoffs against QPR and Blackpool when we also couldnt see all our tickets for these games either

Edited by NIKI1234

Whilst the attendence was over 12k that did include 4500 visitors. The fact was that we still couldnt sell all our tickets against our local rivals in the 4th round of the FA cup. 8200 home fans after the euphoria of beating Everton and Leeds in the same week... It was the same in the playoffs against QPR and Blackpool when we also couldnt see all our tickets for these games either

Its kind of besides the point... Any attendance is made up of home and away fans...

Someone I know who is well placed at the club has told me that the playing surface will be about 12feet below ground level. there's a retractable cover that will protect from flooding. Most importantly it means that the "single- storey" delivers more seats than might otherwise be imagined.

Thanks Pete, it might confirm to some though the club really is sinking :wink:

Has that actually been stated Corp? (genuine question)

No-as is well known, the opposite has been stated. As I've said before, 'there is room for expansion,' coming at the same time as a stadium with a 12000 limit on it is proposed, and all the implications of that, is possibly the most disingenuous statement ever uttered by anybody connected with the club.

Its kind of besides the point... Any attendance is made up of home and away fans...

Yes-the point being that the club plans to neither enthuse any more than the 4000 hardcore supporters who'll put up with anything, nor expects to play any more big clubs with large away followings.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Thats correct but bearing in mind that we offer one of the biggest away allocations in the country (more than nearly all Premier and championship clubs) that were completly sold out and yet we still cant sell out the home ends for our 3 biggest games in the past 15 years. It just shows how average the actual home gates were for these games..... Hence my belief is that 12K (with a view to expand) is still enough

Edited by NIKI1234

No-as is well known, the opposite has been stated. As I've said before, 'there is room for expansion,' coming at the same time as a stadium with a 12000 limit on it is proposed, and all the implications of that, is possibly the most disingenuous statement ever uttered by anybody connected with the club.

It isn't a 12,000 limit if there is room for expansion. It is merely 12,000 initially.

So what. Should everything be based on the fact that the latent support in the town has been so demoralised by the fiasco of the last fifteen years that many still wouldn't turn out for those games?

More relevant is the fact that we averaged 13000 in the season we won the old Division 2, and had 18-19000 in the ground for some games around that time. What clearer statement that the club has given up even paying lip-service to one day recapturing those days than putting a 12000 limit on capacity?

Fortunately for the club, some people (although nowhere near enough) will still swallow it as ambition; some people drink Carling and enjoy listening to Oasis, however.

Thats correct but bearing in mind that we offer one of the biggest away allocations in the country (more than nearly all Premier and championship clubs) that were completly sold out and yet we still cant sell out the home ends for our 3 biggest games in the past 15 years. It just shows how average the actual home gates were for these games..... Hence my belief is that 12K (with a view to expand) is still enough

Fair enough but I personally think 16,000 would be a much better proposal with the Championship in mind...

So what. Should everything be based on the fact that the latent support in the town has been so demoralised by the fiasco of the last fifteen years that many still wouldn't turn out for those games?

More relevant is the fact that we averaged 13000 in the season we won the old Division 2, and had 18-19000 in the ground for some games around that time. What clearer statement that the club has given up even paying lip-service to one day recapturing those days than putting a 12000 limit on capacity?

Fortunately for the club, some people (although nowhere near enough) will still swallow it as ambition; some people drink Carling and enjoy listening to Oasis, however.

In 1930 we had an attendance of over 47,500. Should we be building at least a 50,000 seater?

If only I could think of an example of a club that has got promotion to the Championship with a ground capacity of 12,000 or less. You know, like Scunthorpe or Blackpool. I just can't.

Any chance of either pushing on ?

Scunthorpe 19th and heading back down more than likely... Fair play to Blackpool but I doubt glory is on its way...