Yoofs 4 Stalyvegas 1

Decent performance from the young lads against a useful if a little light-weight Stalyvegas side. Stand-outs were Eaves, with a super strike and he made one for Kirk Millar. Youing Tom has got bigger since the last time I saw him last season. There was a good show at right-back from James Tarkowski who also scored with a far-post header and winger Millar had a good game and popped up with a goal too. The keeper looks ok, always on his toes, good handling and decent kicking.

Stand-out for Stalyvegas was Bembo-Leta's half-brother, a lot stockier than Djemy, scored a great goal, full of running and worked his arse off if a tad greedy at times. Worth a trial or at least another look imo.

As for our Bembo-Leta heard great things about him but was poor for the most part.

Bring on the Mighty Dale on Monday Night!

PS Is Eaves ready for the first-team squad? Well he's raw but he's bloody big for his age and I reckon he'll grow, he's a handful, wins most of his headers, decent on the deck and likes to shoot on sight. A few cameos here and there would do him no harm imo, reminds me a lot of Scott Vernon who eventually filled out in his early twenties, Eaves is as big as Scott Vernon is now at only 17, I think he'll end up in similar to build and height to Ben Burgess.

Edited by oafcprozac

Decent performance from the young lads against a useful if a little lightweight Stalyvegas side. Stand-outs were Eaves, with a super strike and he made one. Got bigger since last time I saw him last season, a good show at right-back from James Tarkowski who also scored with a far-post header and the winger Millar had a good game and popped up with a goal too. The keeper looks ok, always on his toes, good handling and decent kicking.

Stand-out for Vegas was Bembo Leta's half-brother, a lot stocky than Djemy, scored a great goal, full of running and worked his arse off if a tad greedy at times. Worth a trial or at least another look imo.

As for our Bembo-Leta heard great things about him but was poor for the most part.

Bring on the Mighty Dale on Monday Night!

Thanks for the report Prozac. Nice to here about this seasons prospects.

Cheers,

Harry

You could argue there is nothing to lose by playing Eaves and Brooke up front fr the next few games...could hardly score less than we have done recently now could we? Be very interesting as well

Worth a gamble, but then I've always been in favour of throwing the kids in - sink or swim, that's what Royle used to do = particularly with keepers, Goram, Gorton and Gerrard.

I thought we'd had Joel Bembo and let him go and kept Djeny on. Not 100% on that though.

For me Eaves is progressing nicely, especially from the few outings I saw last year. I wouldn't throw him in just yet. I've heard people writing Brooke off already and he's had 5 sub appearances and less than 90 minutes in total for us. Giving Eaves a debut in a side struggling for goals and saying here, you're not even on a professional yet, lets see if our fans can ruin you before you start wouldn't be fair for me.

If Penney has cocked up by bringing in players like Parker who isn't a striker and has known Abbott has been injured for sometime then that's his problem. I think throwing Eaves in would be the wrong choice at the moment.

The game against Rochdale should be a better test against a side who I'd expect to be as physically strong as us.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

When Chris Moore left us in the lurch, I remember with more than fondness, the yoofs who played their hearts out for us. It was some of the best football Ihave ever sen at BP from the point of watching total commitment and sheer passion.

Play Eaves - let him sample 20 minutes every match. He will soon adapt and have no fear.

When Chris Moore left us in the lurch, I remember with more than fondness, the yoofs who played their hearts out for us. It was some of the best football Ihave ever sen at BP from the point of watching total commitment and sheer passion.

Play Eaves - let him sample 20 minutes every match. He will soon adapt and have no fear.

I agree, he's big enough to look after himself and cameos will do him no harm in his development.

I thought we'd had Joel Bembo and let him go and kept Djeny on. Not 100% on that though.

For me Eaves is progressing nicely, especially from the few outings I saw last year. I wouldn't throw him in just yet. I've heard people writing Brooke off already and he's had 5 sub appearances and less than 90 minutes in total for us. Giving Eaves a debut in a side struggling for goals and saying here, you're not even on a professional yet, lets see if our fans can ruin you before you start wouldn't be fair for me.

If Penney has cocked up by bringing in players like Parker who isn't a striker and has known Abbott has been injured for sometime then that's his problem. I think throwing Eaves in would be the wrong choice at the moment.

The game against Rochdale should be a better test against a side who I'd expect to be as physically strong as us.

4-1 was a bit flattering I thought as Stalybridge gave a good account of themselves and had several goalscoring opportunities themselves.

As mentioned, Eaves was the stand out player, his shielding of the ball was excellent, he knows where the goal is and has a fair turn of pace for someone of 6' 4".

Expect to see a flock of scouts running the rule over him when Latics youth face Rochdale at BP next Monday.

Joel Bembo-Leta (big quick and strong) did very well for Stalybridge as did the midfielder number 10 Chadwick.

I thought Brooke looked lively against Leeds when he hadnt done so well previously this season. Definitely need to give the young lads a chance when they come in instead of writing them off if they dont perform straight away.

I'm all for that, there are no other options without splashing the cash.

My cousin who had been at Latics for 3 years untill he was released last month due to injuries told me we had all 3 of them on the books a few years ago untill United came and took one off us and we released the other. Not sure which one we released and they stole of us though. He really rates Djemy aswell.

4-1 was a bit flattering I thought as Stalybridge gave a good account of themselves and had several goalscoring opportunities themselves.

As mentioned, Eaves was the stand out player, his shielding of the ball was excellent, he knows where the goal is and has a fair turn of pace for someone of 6' 4".

Expect to see a flock of scouts running the rule over him when Latics youth face Rochdale at BP next Monday.

Joel Bembo-Leta (big quick and strong) did very well for Stalybridge as did the midfielder number 10 Chadwick.

See fishul report

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1873474,00.html

Love the bit about the 'large contingent of visiting fans' :grin:

My cousin who had been at Latics for 3 years untill he was released last month due to injuries told me we had all 3 of them on the books a few years ago untill United came and took one off us and we released the other. Not sure which one we released and they stole of us though. He really rates Djemy aswell.

I hear rmours United where looking at one of them. How did the other ex Latics youths do for Staly.

I used to be a big fan of throwing the kids in and giving them a chance, but in recent times I've gone off it big time.

When I think back I feel we have ruined a number of promising youngsters by throwing them into poor sides, their heads have dropped and they never seem to fulfill their true potential. The other thing they have to contend with is massive hype (like Ryan Brooke after his goal at Walsall) and when they have a bad game, which happens with young players the next thing is the boo boys start and it goes down hill.

Lets save Brooke and Eaves, let them continue to feature and trin with the first team, give them a few cameo roles and have a look if they are aready in 12 -18 months time.

Quite Alec, but BP was a vastly diffferent place back then. There was a seige mentality and everyone expected us to be fighting relegation anyway. Now it would only take one bad game for youngsters to be written off as not good enough like some have already been doing with Ryan Brooke.

Eaves is a very promising young talent, and as somebody else has said, it's novel that we've got a 'bigger one' still with us as they usually get snapped up by the big boys, but I'd keep him clear of the first team just yet.

See fishul report

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1873474,00.html

Love the bit about the 'large contingent of visiting fans' :grin:

There was quite a large percentage of the crowd from Staly.

Regarding Eaves, the lad is defo coming on nicely. If he contuinues to grow he'll be a big lad and as filled out considerably since last season even. I'd give him first team experience on the bench and perhaps give him some cameo's when (a big if) and if we are comfortably in charge of a game. Brooke is rightly in front of Eaves currently in the pecking order and if was Lewi i'd be looking over my shoulder and finally knuckling down.

Eaves was the stand out player for Latics, followed by James Tarkowski and Kirk Millar. Mathew Carr also is getting a tallish lad in the centre of the park and providing he continues to improve may also get a look in. Chadwick and Joel Bembo-Leta did well for Staly though the latter was at times greedy.

Edited by Lags

There was quite a large percentage of the crowd from Staly.

Regarding Eaves, the lad is defo coming on nicely. If he contuinues to grow he'll be a big lad and as filled out considerably since last season even. I'd give him first team experience on the bench and perhaps give him some cameo's when (a big if) and if we are comfortably in charge of a game. Brooke is rightly in front of Eaves currently in the pecking order and if was Lewi i'd be looking over my shoulder and finally knuckling down.

Eaves was the stand out player for Latics, followed by James Tarkowski and Kirk Millar. Mathew Carr also is getting a tallish lad in the centre of the park and providing he continues to improve may also get a look in. Chadwick and Joel Bembo-Leta did well for Staly thopugh the later was at times greedy.

Was Carr the tall ginger kid @ number 6? If so, I thought he did ok, but would have liked him to impose himself a bit more late in the game. Sure that will come with experience mind.

Was Carr the tall ginger kid @ number 6? If so, I thought he did ok, but would have liked him to impose himself a bit more late in the game. Sure that will come with experience mind.

Yes thats Carr. How late in the game Dan? as he went off!

Yes thats Carr. How late in the game Dan? as he went off!

I suppose after their goal Lags (which felt a bit later than 70 mins). I just thought they got about us a bit (after not really showing much). Didn't he go off very late on? Bembo-Leta went off for the other Matthew Carr didn't he a little while after their goal.

Thought it was a good showing though, nice to see lads playing with genuine enthusiasm.

I suppose after their goal Lags (which felt a bit later than 70 mins). I just thought they got about us a bit (after not really showing much). Didn't he go off very late on? Bembo-Leta went off for the other Matthew Carr didn't he a little while after their goal.

Thought it was a good showing though, nice to see lads playing with genuine enthusiasm.

Yeah, might even have a walk over to Chapel Road on Saturday morning. I'm drooling over Eaves, handled correctly he good have a big future in all senses of the word as long as a bigger club doesn't get their grubby mits on him before we've had chance to reap any sort of benefit.

Eaves looked to be about 6ft+ when I saw him in the youth cup tie roughly this time of year- so if he's grown then all well and good. I thought he might have been worth a place on then bench with a view to playing him at the end of last year- but we did that with Brooke instead. He'd be in my match day squads for the aways with no Pawel (get him used to spending bogging ages on a coach and a bit of the banter too). I'd be highly surprised that if Blackman goes back- Eaves gets a few sub appearances under his belt. I was very impressed with him against the Geordies- he scored an absolute screamer one of the best goals I've seen live for a good few years.