Striker worth looking at ?

By the looks of him on SKY TV last night Coleraine striker Rory Patterson might be worth a look (17 goals this season), he wants to return to the mainland he says, he obviously knows where the net is as can be seen from this goals he scored when at FC United.

Rory Patterson special goal

Edited by BP1960

By the looks of him on SKY TV last night Coleraine, striker Rory Patterson might be worth a look (17 goals this season), he wants to return to the mainland he says, he obviously knows where the net is as can be seen from this goals he scored when at FC United.

Come on BP, we haven't even looked at Deegan from Ashton yet! Oh and Steve Jones (a mate of mine) played at Chadderton for a couple of years and ended up at Blackpool and Bury first! And we were in the bloody Championship at the time! Not sure what our scouts do tbh, I've always been able to spot a player - but and i'm not often wrong that they're good enough. I would have given the Hyde centre half a trial too this summer but alas. D'Laryea will be back in the league soon enough. The winger at Hyde was worth a trial too as was the lad at Ashton last year - really don't know what some of these so called 'experts' look for. Last decent scout we had was Urmson when he had time.

I too would like to know what scouting arrangements we have, how they would be developed if we had more money etc. It may be we do quite well at schoolboy level but not later. I really don't know. Nor do I know how our set-up compares with , for instance, Huddersfield or Stockport or Preston or Bury. Clubs quite local but of differing status/resources.

I do get frustrated at how there's an assumption that we're crap at everything. This lad from N Ireland as an instance. Presumably other clubs also have the opportunity to watch him? Are they all crap for not picking him up?

According to both OS and the Chron there seem to be a lot of triallists passing through the club, most of whom are not only looked at in training but also get Res outings.

I too would like to know what scouting arrangements we have, how they would be developed if we had more money etc. It may be we do quite well at schoolboy level but not later. I really don't know. Nor do I know how our set-up compares with , for instance, Huddersfield or Stockport or Preston or Bury. Clubs quite local but of differing status/resources.

In terms of scouting for actual games we're using some scouting firm. Don't know much about them. One concern I did have was that Penney stated in the interview after Brentford that he was surprised how they played. Brentford playing long ball should not be a surprise to anyone, least of all scouts and the manager of a League One club.

With regards to the Patterson strike, I remember mentioning it to my Dad as we sat waiting for the second half to start against Gillingham. I'd seen it on TV the day before. Little did I know Simon Charlton was to do something similar a few minutes later. Bizaare.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

Obviously no one has coached Patterson in scoring from the kick off, perhaps he an instinctive player and some coaches don't like that, prefering to always play in the text book style.

I am sick off seeing Latics (and most other teams) hoof the ball to the the far side touchline from the kick off, its so predictable.

Raw natural talent seems to be knocked out of kids now and most play to the coaching manual...these days a great dribbler of the ball like Alan Groves wouldn't be allowed to play the way he did..I'm just sorry there is no video footage available to show todays generation what I mean about Groves.

Maybe the website guy could put some fans questions to DP and stick it on the fishul. Maybe the first one being about what scouting is in place at Latics

You rang... :wink:

I asked for fans to put their questions to DP earlier this month and had a rather poor response, considering how many on here have very vocal opinions.

The article explaining what to do to submit a question is here: http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1841094,00.html

I asked for fans to put their questions to DP earlier this month and had a rather poor response, considering how many on here have very vocal opinions.

The article explaining what to do to submit a question is here: http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1841094,00.html

I proposed something that Brighton do on there message board where people can interact with those at the club, getting their questions answered and got no responses so I dont think its a surprise.

Maybe Dave Penney can log on here and interact with the fans :wink: Imagine the stick he would get! :shock:

I proposed something that Brighton do on there message board where people can interact with those at the club, getting their questions answered and got no responses so I dont think its a surprise.

Maybe Dave Penney can log on here and interact with the fans :wink: Imagine the stick he would get! :shock:

Perhaps he does anonymously :grin:

Cheers, must have missed that at the time

By the looks of him on SKY TV last night Coleraine striker Rory Patterson might be worth a look (17 goals this season), he wants to return to the mainland he says, he obviously knows where the net is as can be seen from this goals he scored when at FC United.

email your suggestions to AH, im sure he will pass on the player details to DP

Patterson was at Rochdale at the same time as Pat McCourt - now at Celtic.

The word was that he was talented but his attitude and commitment stunk - so he'd probably fit right in with our lot at the moment!

Wrong way round.

I'd say attitude and commitment are the 2 qualities that the squad ARE showing at the minute - it's the quality that needs a tad of work. :wink:

I support Coleraine and go to every game home and away if I'm not over in Oldham.

Rory would be worth taking a look at not to mention young Euan Okane (Ex Everton).

Both of these players are seeking a move back over to England, Rory's scoring speaks for itself and no harm he's twice the player than Peter Thompson. Young Okane was released by Everton in the summer my brother is good mates with him. Moyes told him the only reason he was being let go was becasue he was to small.

Rory scored 4 against the current Irish League Champions on their own patch last week. See link below.

http://www.forzatv.net/video_coleraine_071109.html

I was chatting to a member of the Coleraine board after the Glenavon game on Monday night and was told that a scout from Watford was at the game as they are keen on both Rory and Okane. As it would gut me if they left my local club, the blow wouldn't be as bad knowing they where going to sign for Oldham.

If we have any sort of scouting policy in place at latics, they should already know about him and his current form.

alas, i fear they don't.

Oh yes they do, I mentioned their names to Alan Hardy a few weeks ago.