Oliver Norwood

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be very very wrong here, but when I worked at Somerfield in Royton about 2001, there was this old bloke who worked there, I remember someone telling me that he played for England and Bolton in goal, he also played for the stores 5 a-side team and was still very good despite his age apparently. I wonder if it was this bloke?(I'm sure his name was Eddie too)

That will be the same guy as he lived in Royton and frequented Royton Band Club on a regular basis.

I may be very very wrong here, but when I worked at Somerfield in Royton about 2001, there was this old bloke who worked there, I remember someone telling me that he played for England and Bolton in goal, he also played for the stores 5 a-side team and was still very good despite his age apparently. I wonder if it was this bloke?(I'm sure his name was Eddie too)

Sounds like the same guy, he went on to play for Bolton for years, he was 16 when he made his debut for Latics.

Bosh

Unfortunately I wasn't being sarcastic Razza! I always thought Paul Rickers was a decent player, made up for any other shortcomings by running his knackers off! Still got an old white away shirt with "7 - RICKERS" proudly displayed on the back....

Bosh on the other hand was gash!

Unfortunately I wasn't being sarcastic Razza! I always thought Paul Rickers was a decent player, made up for any other shortcomings by running his knackers off! Still got an old white away shirt with "7 - RICKERS" proudly displayed on the back....

:lol: thats blasphemous against Boshsteel

Boshell was a decent footballer but sadly had no heart or desire, when Ritchie's team stormed to the top of the league in 01/02 Bosh was a big influence, with countless assists.

But he was a tart!

Rickers I agree, countless vital goals from a lad who made his way back in '94 - his strikes at Bramall Lane and Scunthorpe were thunderbolts!

Saw SSN highlights last night a young lad scored 2 cracking free kicks in N Irelends last 2 Under 21s games , looks a cracking prospect and plays for United , anyone know anything else about him ?

Im sure there must be so many United and Citys players we could get if we just built up a relationship with them (on a business level not fan)

Corry Evans is another good player (jonny evans brother)

To answer the original poster;

I watched the entire match on sky and tbh i wasn't that impressed with the NI team. Considering that a large number of them in the squad are attached to Prem clubs; albeit with a splattering of Champ & L1 & L2 lads too (& 1 or 2 from the Irish leagues too) they weren't anything to shout about. I would say that when they were similar ages; 2 years ago ish, Taylor, Smalley & Eardley would have shown up as shinning lights in that bunch.

Norwood did nothing else other than the free-kick (which granted was a great strike). Evans was out-battled in the midfield by the Czech lads.

For me the only N.I player to come out the game with a decent performance was the inside left forward Kee; battled hard all game and showed so decent touches.

As for the United / City thing; i think we should look to expoloit the nearness of the clubs geographically; but IIRC Taggart once said he didn't think his youth lads were L1 level; he wanted them to go to Championship sides on loan (Gibson / Eagles / Simpson / Martin / Cleverley et all of recent seasons)

To answer the original poster;

I watched the entire match on sky and tbh i wasn't that impressed with the NI team. Considering that a large number of them in the squad are attached to Prem clubs; albeit with a splattering of Champ & L1 & L2 lads too (& 1 or 2 from the Irish leagues too) they weren't anything to shout about. I would say that when they were similar ages; 2 years ago ish, Taylor, Smalley & Eardley would have shown up as shinning lights in that bunch.

Norwood did nothing else other than the free-kick (which granted was a great strike). Evans was out-battled in the midfield by the Czech lads.

For me the only N.I player to come out the game with a decent performance was the inside left forward Kee; battled hard all game and showed so decent touches.

As for the United / City thing; i think we should look to expoloit the nearness of the clubs geographically; but IIRC Taggart once said he didn't think his youth lads were L1 level; he wanted them to go to Championship sides on loan (Gibson / Eagles / Simpson / Martin / Cleverley et all of recent seasons)

Thanks :) I thought my original post had got forgotton about as the topic went off in a tangent again !

Rochdale have signed Tom Heaton, a highly rated goalkeeper from Man Utd.

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/page/NewsDeta...1874531,00.html

He's one of the more senior reserve players, who impressed whilst on loan at Cardiff last season. If Man Utd are willing to let their more experienced reserves out on loan to League Two we should be right in there, I'd have personally preffered Heaton over Flahavan.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Rochdale have signed Tom Heaton, a highly rated goalkeeper from Man Utd.

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/page/NewsDeta...1874531,00.html

He's one of the more senior reserve players, who impressed whilst on loan at Cardiff last season. If Man Utd are willing to let their more experienced reserves out on loan to League Two we should be right in there, I'd have personally preffered Heaton over Flahavan.

I get the feeling with Flahavanavanan that we will be signing him come the end of his loan period.

Dale will certainly not be doing that (as he's signing for QPR in January by all reports, and Dale have their own keepers who are currently knackered).

That's not to say we shouldn't be upping relationships with this sort of team.

Not taking the piss here, but how many times have you seen each of them play to come to that judgement?

Flahavan's done very well, and from what I saw of Brill the other night and improvement may well be on the way, being dropped has been the kick up the arse he's needed to up his games.

Not taking the piss here, but how many times have you seen each of them play to come to that judgement?

I hear you, but Flahavan had played like 2 games in like a year and a half when we signed him. But Heaton's been on Man Utd's books since he was 16, he's now 23, there's not that many players who last that long in Man Utd reserves without either breaking through to the first team, or being released. He's also been on loan to Cardiff last season and broke into their first team keeping out Enckleman. Dave Jones rated him very highly. It's only through injury his spell there ended pre-maturely. If Man Utd still have him on the books they must see something to believe he's gonna be valuable to them, and if he's valuable to them then I'm sure he can do a grand job at this level, even at 23.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

I hear you, but Flahavan had played like 2 games in like a year and a half when we signed him. But Heaton's been on Man Utd's books since he was 16, he's now 23, there's not that many players who last that long in Man Utd reserves without either breaking through to the first team, or being released. He's also been on loan to Cardiff last season and broke into their first team keeping out Enckleman. Dave Jones rated him very highly. It's only through injury his spell there ended pre-maturely. If Man Utd still have him on the books they must see something to believe he's gonna be valuable to them, and if he's valuable to them then I'm sure he can do a grand job at this level, even at 23.

Flahavan has been kept out by Speroni at Palace - a colleague mine who (although a right cock) really really knows his football tells me that Speroni has played like a world class keeper, making half a dozen amazing saves each game, for a couple of seasons. And Jordan is raping the club for every penny before he sacks them off so they play their strongest team every game, so no chance for the stiffs to get a run out in easy cup games etc. He told me that Flahavan would have no bother getting into most Chamionship sides.

Flahavan has been kept out by Speroni at Palace - a colleague mine who (although a right cock) really really knows his football tells me that Speroni has played like a world class keeper, making half a dozen amazing saves each game, for a couple of seasons. And Jordan is raping the club for every penny before he sacks them off so they play their strongest team every game, so no chance for the stiffs to get a run out in easy cup games etc. He told me that Flahavan would have no bother getting into most Chamionship sides.

It's that missing Latics/Man United link again.

Flahaven seems ok so far though and hopefully he may turn out like Gary Kelly, who was one of the best of his size.

Edited by BP1960

It seems to have been missed by every other club between Cardiff and Rochdale as well. He might just not be all that...

I may be repeating myself, but he was on loan at QPR. The three months short term loan ran out. They are looking to sign him in January off what I've heard.

We, on the other side, are (I hope) looking for a permenant keeper, which I would think Daryll is.

I don't think it is anything to do with missing links on this occasion.

I may be repeating myself, but he was on loan at QPR. The three months short term loan ran out. They are looking to sign him in January off what I've heard.

We, on the other side, are (I hope) looking for a permenant keeper, which I would think Daryll is.

I don't think it is anything to do with missing links on this occasion.

The new Keiran Lee then possibly? :shock: Not saying he's :censored:e or anything, but pedigree can be over rated. TBH I'd be surprised if QPR would want him going out to Dale and risk injury again if they are happy to sign him off the back of a lifetime in the Redd Soxx Stiffs. There may be a cyber-bet to be had here.