Get Some In

Knowing the terrible weather forecast for the next few days coupled with latics' poor recent form and colchester hardly being a game to get the fans flocking to BP, Should this not have been a game to offer discounted admission?

As it stands i can see us struggling to hit 4000, Surely would have been better to try to get more in and create some kind of atmosphere, having said that, even dropping prices may not be enough to attract people at the moment until the product on the pitch improves drastically........Would have been worth a try though imo.

The weather will be awful, the game is likely to be be :censored:. Come on in folks, see what Latics is all about!!! Really, why not try and show a good side of ourselves, like the spare seats against the decent sides?

Very true but we've been :censored:e in all games ( mk excepted ) so far at BP this season. I see your point though.

Very true but we've been :censored:e in all games ( mk excepted ) so far at BP this season. I see your point though.

It's a bugbear of mine. Why show us to potential new customers at our worst? It would be nice to give the pay on the dayers something for these matches to keep them there though when morale is low. I don't know the right mechanism for it - long term, maybe get a free/half price pre-Christmas game if you make a certain number of other games? Dunno.

It's a bugbear of mine. Why show us to potential new customers at our worst? It would be nice to give the pay on the dayers something for these matches to keep them there though when morale is low. I don't know the right mechanism for it - long term, maybe get a free/half price pre-Christmas game if you make a certain number of other games? Dunno.

Yeah something along those lines could work. The main thing is the team need to hit some form and provide some entertainment.

Penney's reluctance to bring a striker in is grating on some people ( myself included ) A number of lads i work with are really brassed off about this and are baffled by this seemingly act of stubborness when it's plainly obvious what we need. Their attitude is why should i bother if the club don't.

OK....The club don't seem to want to reduce the matchday price and the product on the pitch seems to get worse by the week.

The new marketing man's remit by his own admissions is to increase the matchday attendance.

If we don't improve the playing squad and continue to serve up boring dross on the field, how on earth is he going to succeed.

I think he's on a hiding to nothing!!!!!

This is what is all about! A soaking wet BP, players sliding around, ball boys falling over, hopefully a lino will take a tumble, getting a drip of water that hits your neck and runs down your back, cars splashing your legs as you trudge back over the car park.

I couldn't make the Leeds game and have missed BP so tomorrow can't come soon enough.

Here's a strategy to get more people into the ground: build a good team, capable of getting in the Championship and staying there. Stop swapping one bunch of mediocre journeymen for another bunch of mediocre journeymen every couple of years. Speculate to accumulate, and if you can't-stand aside and appeal for somebody to come in who will. (Hey-sounds familiar!)

Watch the punters drift back at a gradually accelerating pace.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Here's a strategy to get more people into the ground: build a good team, capable of getting in the Championship and staying there. Stop swapping one bunch of mediocre journeymen for another bunch of mediocre journeymen every couple of years. Speculate to accumulate, and if you can't-stand aside and appeal for somebody to come in who will. (Hey-sounds familiar!)

That is a very sound plan. I do agree with your sentiments 100%., and I think most people agree sucess on the pitch is the only realistic chance we have.

Without spending to much time on looking back it is obvious the TTA tried this and got many players who Shez, Moore and Talbot wanted.

Easy in hindsight, but managers went too early, that is documented and admitted, and good players (on paper) were signed to a lot of apprecaition at the time of signing, but failed to live up to their billing. Clearly we are paying for that now

So which players do you suggest we get?

I am not having a dig, I think this is a topic for a non conforntational healthy and enjoyable debate and discussion.

Taking as read naming players that want to comeand paly at Oldham.

Would it be fringe of Championship players or youths from Prem, or just good lower league? Or amaixture.

Edited by singe

That is a very sound plan. I do agree with your sentiments 100%., and I think most people agree sucess on the pitch is the only realistic chance we have.

Without spending to much time on looking back it is obvious the TTA tried this and got many players who Shez, Moore and Talbot wanted.

Easy in hindsight, but managers went too early, that is documented and admitted, and good players (on paper) were signed to a lot of apprecaition at the time of signing, but failed to live up to their billing. Clearly we are paying for that now

So which players do you suggest we get?

I am not having a dig, I think this is a topic for a non conforntational healthy and enjoyable debate and discussion.

Taking as read naming players that want to comeand paly at Oldham.

Would it be fringe of Championship players or youths from Prem, or just good lower league? Or amaixture.

Although I can't see progress being made (and attendances significantly increasing as a result) without the kind of thing I outline above coming to pass, I don't think for one minute that there's the slightest chance that it will happen.

As it seems I keep having to re-emphasise, I believe the club passed the point of no return some time ago. Too long bogged down at the wrong end of the Football League when all the money was going elsewhere. Now it seems some of the most committed fans have started going elsewhere too-always a very ominous development. It explains the current lack of direction. It explains why a stadium with a typically lower division capacity is being planned.

It would take a miracle to save us from a permanently lower divison (and eventually semi-professional) fate. And that's a crying shame. For all of us.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Build a team by buying (not loaning) in the main good prospects - that's how Big Joe did it.

It can be done cheaply too as the talent has been and always will be out there if the scouts can spot them.

Build a team by buying (not loaning) in the main good prospects - that's how Big Joe did it.

It can be done cheaply too as the talent has been and always will be out there if the scouts can spot them.

How cheaply can it really be done these days though? Didn't Peterborough amongst others pay 6 figures for the better none-League talent out there?

How cheaply can it really be done these days though? Didn't Peterborough amongst others pay 6 figures for the better none-League talent out there?

Most of those players were playing in non league for a long time before Peterborough moved in, they deliberated too long and thus paid well over the odds.

The time to strike is when a player first emerges, for example why didn't Preston sign Trotman when he left Burnley instead of paying £500,000 ?

Latics got that one right. :)

Edited by BP1960

Most of those players were playing in non league for a long time before Peterborough moved in, they deliberated too long and thus paid well over the odds.

The time to strike is when a player first emerges, for example why didn't Preston sign Trotman when he left Burnley instead of paying £500,000 ?

Latics got that one right. :)

True, but we would have to sign an awful lot of duffers before we got another Trotman! And we were bloody lucky with him TBH - he was out for about a year before he really came through wasn't he, and has been injured ever since we sold him.

True, but we would have to sign an awful lot of duffers before we got another Trotman! And we were bloody lucky with him TBH - he was out for about a year before he really came through wasn't he, and has been injured ever since we sold him.

Depends how good the scouts, coaches and managers are, even top flight clubs sign a few duffers, some you win some you lose, the art is to limit the duffers. :)

We spent around 80k on colbeck, wasted money, in the current economic climate, non league clubs need they money more than ever to survive, you will be able to get much lower deals than the 6 figure sums fergie junior spent at posh

We spent around 80k on colbeck, wasted money, in the current economic climate, non league clubs need they money more than ever to survive, you will be able to get much lower deals than the 6 figure sums fergie junior spent at posh

In what way have non-league clubs been affected by the economic downturn?

I would suggest that with a support concentrated on hard core fans, fairly low financial commitments and the fact that relatively small amounts of cash (low level advertising - more local etc) making a bigger proportionate difference, that smaller clubs will be less affected than bigger clubs.

Hence they have no greater need to sell now than before.