Taking pictures inside the ground

I took my camera to the ground today, obviously to take pictures however at half time on the concourse in the RRE I was approached by 2 stewards who told me that if I took any more pictures I would be ejected, reasons being pictures are copyrighted and the club are concerned that I may get a better picture than the official photographers.......I was told that it happens in the bigger grounds as it is harder to police.....seems a tad fickle by the stewards IMO.....thoughts please....have I breached any regulation?

Cheers

I took my camera to the ground today, obviously to take pictures however at half time on the concourse in the RRE I was approached by 2 stewards who told me that if I took any more pictures I would be ejected, reasons being pictures are copyrighted and the club are concerned that I may get a better picture than the official photographers.......I was told that it happens in the bigger grounds as it is harder to police.....seems a tad fickle by the stewards IMO.....thoughts please....have I breached any regulation?

Cheers

Take them with your mobile in the future can't do :censored: all then, jobsworth traffic warden wannebes look for cameras, mobile phone lookin' for a signal innit?

I believe you have, from what i remember from sitting in the lookers and there being a grounds regulations board up on the wall, im sure that was one of the rules and i dont think they've changed them. Obviously camera phones are harder to police so possibly use one of them if you have one or maybe if you took the pictures in your seat it would be harder for the stewards to notice?

Edited by Oafc88

Cheers

I think 'officially' the steward may have been right, however I personally think its a bit fickle, especially if they are only for personal use.

They are right. Your broke the rules...

BUT, they are just being typical jobworths exercising their two mins of power in there little lives... Lets face it, its only a problem to the club, FA, professional photographers if you decide to start selling your photos for £s... Tackling the day trippers with cams is everything to do with power trips than it is to do with enforcing ground regulations...

Now if you had a digital SLR with telescopic lens then I could see there point...

I have stood on the pitch taking photos of my nephew running out as team mascot... Pictures of him warming up with the players etc... Totally against the ground regulations with senior club officials stood behind me... So I ask you, jobsworth or did they have a point ? :lol:

Edited by oafc0000

I think it is on the terms and conditions of the ticket. Possibly tied up with money the club get from media outlets, I don't know. Agree that there is no harm in a fan taking the odd picture, but that's not the world we live in sadly... Some on here will know Sean, who used to have bother but came to arrangements with the club, maybe someone could put you in touch?

I think 'officially' the steward may have been right, however I personally think its a bit fickle, especially if they are only for personal use.

I thought the ruling was that you could take photo's, but distributing them (i.e. sticking them on any public forum) is a break of copyright. Could be wrong though.

I'd have a look at the ground rules if I were you to see the exact ruling.

16 No person (other than a person who holds an appropriate licence) may bring into the Ground or use within the Ground any equipment, which is capable of recording or transmitting (by digital or other means) any audio, visual or audio-visual material or any information or data in relation to the Match or the Ground. Copyright in any unauthorised recording or transmission is assigned (by way of present assignment of future copyright pursuant to section 91 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988) to the Club.

This is the only rule in the ground regulations...

I believe most places (e.g. the MEN Arena) have a common sense policy nowadays, whereby you can use a phone camera or small compact, but not a big jobbie with a telephoto lens (which might produce photographs which could be sold). No suprise to see our stewards not taking such an approach.

The woman today was funny. "Well don't sit down then, it makes no difference to me if you do or not!" :blink:

I thought the ruling was that you could take photo's, but distributing them (i.e. sticking them on any public forum) is a break of copyright. Could be wrong though.

I'd have a look at the ground rules if I were you to see the exact ruling.

Thats what I thought too. I can understand their issue if they are being distributed, but if they are for personal use, there shouldnt be a problem. However, I suppose they have to monitor it as anyone can say its for personal use if they have the intention of distributing just to get out of it.

ie for private use and not for use for profit

That is in relation to a mobile phone though and not a camera...

It all very ambiguous isn't it... Common sense should dictate that unless someone is sat there video taping the game or using a high powered camera and lens to take photos all game you just turn a blind eye...

People like their power though...

Tricky area.

My kids have been mascots, a couple of mates kids have been mascots. The club were happy to relax the rules and allow me to video them for a personal record.

However, I agreed that I would not video anything after the mascot left the pitch, and I fulfilled that agreement.

TGD, you say you took a camera in "obviously to take photos" - on that basis, you have breached the rules. people can't xpect the club to let people take a multitude of pictures (whilst the club has various agreements for the press/tv) and do nothing.

I think the club often take a very sensible approach, especially when given prioir notice, but they do have a duty to act if their commercial interest might be affetcted.

The owners really need to sort our stewards out. Were attracting 3400 home fans to a boring League 1 November game and these ejits are threatening to eject a fan for taking photo's?! Ok so it's to stop the copyright etc..who in the world would buy photo's of that match yesterday? I used to love Sean's fans view photos on the old message board and then they stopped him taking them aswel - and you wonder why people are getting sick of going. This is just another little story along with the others that really makes you think why pay £20 to get treated like a thug/hooligan when all you want to do is enjoy the game without any hassle then go home happy.

For the Leeds game I'm taking my camera and taking lots and lots of photo's. I think everyone should do it just to make a point that were sick of being treated like muppets.

Whilst working as a steward in the past the basic rule was if its a naff camera leave them be but if its a good camera which looks professional-ish have a word. I know my brother was asked about his camera in the past at other events (it looks quite professional but he'd make a naff sports photographer he takes too bloody long). If your child is mascot of course there is a need to take some pic/video to commemorate the special day- last time I checked the club don't do it- perhaps there's a thought for Lisa. Its a bit weird taking your camera to a game though IMHO (I can understand it a little), especially if its just some random league 1 game with 3,400 home fans, you see it all the time at Premiergreed teams and it just makes me think they aren't regulars.

I would also say it depends on the steward though as some will have some common sense and let it go but others will be tight on it because they have been told to by their boss (in my experience the Oldham ones are quite relaxed the people we get in from other companies are the jobsworths). I also think that although the cameras have become everywhere- the worry over abuse is just as bad (5 years ago You tube wasn't really in existence) and a lot of the paedophile stuff hadn't crossed people's minds.