Latest Stadium News

Good job we wasn't waiting for Ken Bates to do it. I had a chat with ex-Latic Eric McGee and he was telling me that back in the day ('67) Bates had a chat with him about developing BP. He was going to re-construct BP and build offices, flats and shops in the complex. Clearly it didn't happen, it did at Chelsea though....

Funny how 40 years on we're all talking about the same stuff.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job we wasn't waiting for Ken Bates to do it. I had a chat with ex-Latic Eric McGee and he was telling me that back in the day ('67) Bates had a chat with him about developing BP. He was going to re-construct BP and build offices, flats and shops in the complex. Clearly it didn't happen, it did at Chelsea though....

Funny how 40 years on we're all talking about the same stuff.

i heard a similar story regarding bates.

as much as he is disliked and mocked here,the fact that he was visionary for those times ,and what we missed out of (lucky/unlucky..delete as applicable!) shows how much we have fell behind.

we were one of the first teams to ever have a pre season tour abroad!

(though im still unsure as to why rhodesia (zimbabwe) ...but my guess is something very dodgy!)

i heard a similar story regarding bates.

as much as he is disliked and mocked here,the fact that he was visionary for those times ,and what we missed out of (lucky/unlucky..delete as applicable!) shows how much we have fell behind.

we were one of the first teams to ever have a pre season tour abroad!

(though im still unsure as to why rhodesia (zimbabwe) ...but my guess is something very dodgy!)

Some also may look at Cardiff's new stadium and say we were lucky/unlucky to miss out on Peter Ridsdale.

I think we were lucky in both cases.

I can be arsed because I’d rather rely on what we’ve been told from the horse’s mouth until it’s proved to be wrong, instead of the more enjoyable sport of criticising what is after all only speculation by putting two and two together and making five.

'The stadium will have a capacity of 12000.' (Translation: 'The stadium will have a capacity of less than 12000. We don't yet know just how small it will be.')

'There will definitely be scope for expansion.' (Translation: 'Expansion will be difficult.')

Have club officials been speculating too?

Thank you DS. The spread of surmise , interpretation, and wild conjecture has been a little like wildfire. I hoped that most, if not all, of those who have been so concerned will be at the meeting next week. I know of some who have chosen not to be.

Do you think that they're going to be writing things down on a 'This is What They Want' pad, or something?

'Lad in the corner in blue shirt wants Czech lager in the bars.' 'Man with beard in second row wants reassurances that expansion will definitely take place. Set date for building of extra tiers in morning.'

Do you really not understand by now that anything you're reassured about can be changed on a whim?

Incidentally, are you gonna be there? Just thought I'd ask while you're still visible standing there on the moral high ground.

Your attempt to suppress people from speculating is never going to win the day... Its totally natural to wonder about what future has in store... If you have a problem with speculation then maybe a public messageboard is not the place for you. Likewise any sort of national newspaper may upset you as well.

As if there isn't good reason to speculate after all the utter cobblers emanating from inside BP over the last fifteen years.

Do you think that they're going to be writing things down on a 'This is What They Want' pad, or something?

'Lad in the corner in blue shirt wants Czech lager in the bars.' 'Man with beard in second row wants reassurances that expansion will definitely take place. Set date for building of extra tiers in morning.'

Do you really not understand by now that anything you're reassured about can be changed on a whim?

Incidentally, are you gonna be there? Just thought I'd ask while you're still visible standing there on the moral high ground.

You're not going to be there are you Corp?

My guess is not, as most cyber ninja's are all talk on screen but meek little lambs in the flesh......

264.png

995.png

Edited by singe

You're not going to be there are you Corp?

My guess is not, as most cyber ninja's are all talk on screen but meek little lambs in the flesh......

I don't claim that there is anything particularly bold about writing things on websites. But I've explained elsewhere why I believe this pseudo-democratic 'consulting' of the fans is so much flannel.

Neither I, nor anybody else on here, are obliged to do or say anything in public. That's the beauty of the internet. So stop touching yourself while standing behind the big boys, eh?

I don't claim that there is anything particularly bold about writing things on websites. But I've explained elsewhere why I believe this pseudo-democratic 'consulting' of the fans is so much flannel.

Neither I, nor anybody else on here, are obliged to do or say anything in public. That's the beauty of the internet. So stop touching yourself while standing behind the big boys, eh?

Standing behind the big boys. Ha

I am not the one with the inferiority complex here.

Over 1,300 views of this thread now and still nobody has commented on Alan Hardy saying in writing:

"Obviously increased and better facilities for fans plus conferencing and banqueting will help us to bring in more off field revenue to invest into the team."

Latics fans never cease to surprise me!

Over 1,300 views of this thread now and still nobody has commented on Alan Hardy saying in writing:

"Obviously increased and better facilities for fans plus conferencing and banqueting will help us to bring in more off field revenue to invest into the team."

Latics fans never cease to surprise me!

Because we've heard similar before. As if people don't know that Alan Hardy, often perhaps due to circumstances beyond his control, has uttered lots of what turned out to be mere hot air.

The statement in itself is, in any case, meaningless. 'Investment in the team' in itself tells us nothing without an accompanying vision of where the club wants to go. Even standing still requires investment in a team. I remember, when Sports Park 2000 was announced, Ian Stott saying on GMR that it will enable the club to 'participate selectively in the transfer market.' Twelve years on here we are. And you wonder why some of us are cynical? You wonder why we're down to 3000 home fans?

Because we've heard similar before. As if people don't know that Alan Hardy, often perhaps due to circumstances beyond his control, has uttered lots of what turned out to be mere hot air.

The statement in itself is, in any case, meaningless. 'Investment in the team' in itself tells us nothing without an accompanying vision of where the club wants to go. Even standing still requires investment in a team. I remember, when Sports Park 2000 was announced, Ian Stott saying on GMR that it will enable the club to 'participate selectively in the transfer market.' Twelve years on here we are. And you wonder why some of us are cynical? You wonder why we're down to 3000 home fans?

Good speech corp...seriously

Are you saying she's not a lady Corp? Does she fart openly or do it with anyone after a couple of Breezers?

No-it just strikes me as a little antiquated to refer to her as such, as somebody did elsewhere on here (unless I imagined it.) I doubt if she's too impressed herself, to be honest,

(Not that it actually matters.)

So, at this stage pending us seeing the detaied plans, AH says we're to have:

Better facilities for fans;

Conferencing and banqueting to bring in mre off-field revenue;

Investment into the team.

If he had said none of these things were in the plans I could understand fans' concern.

Accepting that we've been told previously that the redevelopment of BP is no longer a viable option, and the capacity will be between 11,000 and 12,000 and based on a design capable of expansion, what else do you want to be told in advance of the meeting, other than whether fans can have Czech lager?

I think we should just give up.

Lets all stop going to the match thereby sending the club into liquidation, then TTA can sell all of BP without the inconvienience of having to sort a football club out and have done with it. From what is being said on here it seems this is inevitable, so lets not prolong the agony and have it all done and dusted by the summer.

Oh and lets not wait for the facts, they just get in the way of a good doom and gloom story.

Lose the faith!!!!!

Lets all stop going to the match thereby sending the club into liquidation, then TTA can sell all of BP without the inconvienience of having to sort a football club out and have done with it. From what is being said on here it seems this is inevitable, so lets not prolong the agony and have it all done and dusted by the summer.

Oh and lets not wait for the facts, they just get in the way of a good doom and gloom story.

Lose the faith!!!!!

In some ways it would be nice to draw a line under the whole sorry saga.

Lose the faith!!!!!

Too many have done all that already. Where there's life there's hope. :ktf: