Times Up its seems Penney.

Why would Keith Hill come here? This time next year there is a good chance Dale will be a league above us

Chance being the operative word. If he came here and believed enough in his ability to keep us up then that's all the motivation he needs. At this moment in time we're in a better position than Rochdale in pretty much every aspect. If Rochdale go up will they stay up? That's a critical question he'd have to answer. Where as if he came here and kept us up then he has a chance to build a new team. He can work on a budget and he's got a decent record when it comes to signings. Our fully fit team is more than capable of a mid table finish, we're not no hopers, he'd be taking on a team with some promising and established players, he'd have to weed out the deadwood.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chance being the operative word. If he came here and believed enough in his ability to keep us up then that's all the motivation he needs. At this moment in time we're in a better position than Rochdale in pretty much every aspect. If Rochdale go up will they stay up? That's a critical question he'd have to answer. Where as if he came here and kept us up then he has a chance to build a new team. He can work on a budget and he's got a decent record when it comes to signings. Our fully fit team is more than capable of a mid table finish, we're not no hopers, he'd be taking on a team with some promising and established players, he'd have to weed out the deadwood.

How are we better than Rochdale at the moment? Every aspect? You have to be kidding

You know, TTA have made some pretty bad decisions regarding managers, but whenever they have secured a new manager not one, and I mean not a single soul came on ranting and raving about it being the wrong choice. Not until hindsight has well and truly taken over.

They've tried everything, from cult heroes (Shez, BF Joe), managers with track records of promotions (Talbot, Moore) and now opting for a no-nonsense manager who knows the lower leagues (Penney). Whilst the jury is well and truly out with him, you have to admit that picking a manager to take us on and give us a team to be proud of hasn't been easy. In fact, if anything, they've pressed the trigger at the wrong times.

Partially agree

Talbot: Wrong appointment, and thought that at the time he was appointed. The only reason he had a record of promotions is because Rushden give him an open chequebook. Done buggar all here, at Oxford and with WBA where he had to work within a budget.

Moore: Agreed. At the time he was seen as a coup for us, and although not my fav manager, I think he deserved another year.

Shez: At the time I thought he was the cheap option. He was sacked at the wrong time in my opinion, and I also think it was pointless bringing Royle in for nine games. They could have brought in a manager who could have give his team 9 games to show that why they deserve to be here, and make his own judgement on the players we have as opposed to relying on somebody elses judgement

You know, TTA have made some pretty bad decisions regarding managers, but whenever they have secured a new manager not one, and I mean not a single soul came on ranting and raving about it being the wrong choice. Not until hindsight has well and truly taken over.

They've tried everything, from cult heroes (Shez, BF Joe), managers with track records of promotions (Talbot, Moore) and now opting for a no-nonsense manager who knows the lower leagues (Penney). Whilst the jury is well and truly out with him, you have to admit that picking a manager to take us on and give us a team to be proud of hasn't been easy. In fact, if anything, they've pressed the trigger at the wrong times.

I agree they have but penneys permanent signings have left a lot to be desired , apart from abbott,60,000 for colbeck what a waste of money , parker i,ve seen more commitment and passion in a corpse and the rest have either been injured or not played because of injuries which afew of them came with.

Partially agree

Talbot: Wrong appointment, and thought that at the time he was appointed. The only reason he had a record of promotions is because Rushden give him an open chequebook. Done buggar all here, at Oxford and with WBA where he had to work within a budget.

Moore: Agreed. At the time he was seen as a coup for us, and although not my fav manager, I think he deserved another year.

Shez: At the time I thought he was the cheap option. He was sacked at the wrong time in my opinion, and I also think it was pointless bringing Royle in for nine games. They could have brought in a manager who could have give his team 9 games to show that why they deserve to be here, and make his own judgement on the players we have as opposed to relying on somebody elses judgement

Spot on...

philishirk wud be first choice

Quick question:

Is our youth set-up really that great?

Getting a bit fed up of promising youngsters coming through and not quite making it.

(this is not an anti-TP post, but I don't seem to be seeing anything beyond ordinary).

Edited by opinions4u

I'd get rid now and bring Ferguson in.

It kind of summed up to me how good/influential Penney is on the calibre of loanees he can pull in, Shez used to be able to get players from premier league clubs, we get a player 'to rescue us' who can't get in a lowly placed Championship team!!

How are we better than Rochdale at the moment? Every aspect? You have to be kidding

Because we're still higher than them and we're not in a position where it's very likely we'll go down. They have a bigger fight to get promoted than we do to survive.

Look at the 07/08 season, we are pretty much in the same position now as were were then, and we finished 11th or something despite not really going on a run of form, we just managed a few more wins here and there (mainly at home).

It kind of summed up to me how good/influential Penney is on the calibre of loanees he can pull in, Shez used to be able to get players from premier league clubs, we get a player 'to rescue us' who can't get in a lowly placed Championship team!!

Bad argument mate.

Heff may or may not come good. But Shez's "Premier League" loanees certainly didn't.

:censored: and Blackman play for who exactly?

I don't think it would make much difference if we sacked Penney as we will still have the same squad, however if we are in the relegation places come the January window, TTA may have no choice. I think they would be loathe to give Penney more cash, especially with the standard of signings he has made to date!

Relegation would be a total disaster for this club and I think it would cement our status, new ground or not, as a permanent lower league outfit!!

We are almost halfway through the season and our record is absolutely diabolical!!!

P W D L F A G/D Pts

20 5 6 9 15 25 -10 21

We have to hope that when we get clear of injuries we will be able to climb the table, but on current form ( 6 points out of a possible 30 )we would be lucky to break the 40 point barrier which would make us certainties for the drop!!

Because we're still higher than them and we're not in a position where it's very likely we'll go down. They have a bigger fight to get promoted than we do to survive.

Look at the 07/08 season, we are pretty much in the same position now as were were then, and we finished 11th or something despite not really going on a run of form, we just managed a few more wins here and there (mainly at home).

If you think that's true you're kidding yourself. Rochdale are odds onto go up, and good luck to them. It certainly doesn';t address every aspect because apart from the 5 league posstions I can't think of any aspect in which we are bettter off than Dale.

:petesake:

Everyone is entitled to thier opinion. Except when it is as delusional as this.

Anyone who thinks that we have a sod in hell's chance of getting Ferguson should be put in a padded cell. Give it up.

Oldham must be one of the biggest managerial poison challices in the division. Poor team, Poor Budget, Owners that wants out, in freefall in the league.

The only thing that we can hope for is that Penney turns us round, because the only people that would want the latcs job are the desperate failure journeyman managers who couldnt get a job anywhere else.