20 Years on from the 'Pinch Me Season'

As some of you know I've been looking into writing a book about Latics, I've moved away a little of my original idea and all will be revealed eventually! But anyhow, here's summat I've put together to try and raise spirits, yes it's :censored: at the moment but those aged late twenties up have fantastic memories that no amount of doom and gloom and board room apathy etc.. can destroy.

So it's Christmas! Let's indulge and for those of you too young to remember this lot...enjoy!

So at the moment we're that low that we feel we could easily parachute out of snake's arse, so here's my detailed memories of the 89/90 season...

Pre-season began with a friendly win at Northwich a couple of days after the final game of the season. A few days later Joe Royle announced his first signing in former Manchester United youngster Scott McGarvey who it was hoped would provide support for Andy Ritchie and Frank Bunn. From then on the close-season at Boundary Park was dominated by the story of the 'will he or won't he saga of Tommy Wright being out of contract, in the end he decided the grass was greener on the other side and this 12 year old from Fitton Hill was absolutely gutted when the Chron (no tinternet, or Sky Sport's News then my friends) announced that he had left for Leicester in a £300 odd grand transfer. Club captain John Kelly was also allowed to move on, as was Peter Skipper and both went to Walsall. Royle's thinking was that young midfielder Nicky Henry (who had made his breakthrough the previous season) would now get an extended run and Kelly's wages would be better spent elsewhere. Skipper's replacement was already at the club in the shape of combative leader and new club captain Andy 'The Enforcer' Holden. To compensate for Tommy Wright’s loss, Royle returned to his former club Everton to permanently sign the previous season's loanee Neil Adams, who had been instrumental in helping the team move up the table from February onwards. Adams cost less than a third of Wright's fee to Leicester.

A few days before the start of the season, Latics announced a public meeting at The Queen Elizabeth Hall, all Latics fans were urged to attend. Rumours were rife and speculation wild. In the end the meeting was merely to announce the launch of the 'Latics Starline' Lottery which was to help with team-building and went on to serve the club so well for nearly 14 years before its demise in the Summer of 2003. On the eve of the season, Joe Royle unveiled another signing, in Watford winger Rick Holden - a player who despite being only 25 had already played for a fair few clubs. However, he was well known to wider football fans - being instrumental in Watford's FA Cup run the previous season.

The season opened at bogey-ground Ewood Park with Joe Royle springing a surprise by leaving Ian Marshall and Roger Palmer on the bench (in truth this was the beginning of the end of Roger Palmer playing week in week out, instead he would earn his super-sub tag over the next 4 years!) Typically, Latics conceded an early goal to nemesis Simon Garner and that proved to be the only goal and Latics and their fans again left Ewood Park under a cloud. In truth the performance had been a lack-lustre one, and many wondered if we were again to spend the season entrenched in mid-table. Three days later the team were welcomed back to Boundary Park, new-signing Rick Holden made an immediate impact scoring the opening goal but a late Watford equaliser ensured the regulars again were presented with the familiar feeling of what might have been. The Oldham Chronicle’s reporter Bob Young’s headline was ‘Back to Life, Back to Reality' – referring to a line from Soul II Soul’s chart-topper of August ’89, but also to the fact that it was back to the life of the season and the reality of Latics’ poor defending again costing them points. The following Saturday Latics were soon 2-0 down to Swindon at Boundary Park, perennial bogey men Alan McLoughlin and Duncan Shearer inflicting the damage. In all honesty the team had been woeful, but as he had so often in the past, a late brace from Roger Palmer saved the day and an unlikely point. So three games in and there was clearly little to shout about.

The Swindon game saw an injury to influential captain Andy Holden, which would see the ‘Enforcer’ (as Joe Royle had nicknamed him) not return to action until the end of March. The armband passed to young midfielder Mike Milligan and the opening in the heart of defence saw youngster Paul Warhurst move in alongside Earl Barrett, (who himself had only recently converted from left-back) at the expense of Ian Marshall. However, the defence now had blistering pace and a willingness to bring the ball upfield rather than the no-nonense approach of the previous season’s defenders – Flynn, Marshall, Skipper and Holden. The obvious highlight of the opening month of the season was Rick Holden’s over head kick equaliser at St. James’ Park, Newcastle being fortunate to win the game with a disputed late winner from a Mick Quinn penalty, where Paul Warhurst had been harshly adjudged to have handled at point-blank range – Andy Rhodes who had been deputising for the injured Jon Hallworth since the beginning of the season got hands to it but the ball nestled in the corner. So four games in and Royle and his boys (and they were boys, the vast majority of the squad were under 25, with only Ritchie, Barlow, Donachie and the stricken Andy Holden over 25) were awaiting their first win. It finally came the week after, in typical Boundary Park fashion it was a topsy-turvy affair with Latics running out 3-2 winners over Plymouth Argyle in front of a paltry 4,940 spectators. Importantly, the win saw star striker Andy Ritchie register his first goal of the season. The season was off and running and the team quickly followed up with wins at Stoke, at home to West Brom and Leicester and winning both legs of a Littlewoods Cup tie with Leeds United 2-1. The only defeat in seven came at Bramall Lane, with Frankie Bunn finally getting off the mark with a late consolation in a 2-1 reverse.

October, continued in the same vein, the league form was continually impressive, Barnsley and Middlesbrough were despatched at Boundary Park, and although the team were soundly beaten at an Ian Bishop and Paul Moulden inspired Bournemouth, there were useful draws at Hull and Wolves, to add to another draw at home to Bradford. However, the highlight of October 1989 was the 3rd Round Littlewoods Cup encounter with Scarborough. Whilst Latics were beating Leeds 4-2 on aggregate in the previous round the Seadogs had been drawn against Chelsea – a side that had recently been promoted back to the top-flight after relegation in 1988. Chelsea won the first leg 2-0 and anticipated little problems in going to Seamer Road before a regulation passage into the third round round draw. Instead, Scarborough (only promoted to the football League under the tutelage of ex-manager Neil Warnock two years earlier) pulled off the shock of the round by winning the second leg 3-0. The cameras were live in the dressing room as the third round draw was made, with many of the Scarborough officials and players disappointed at drawing a tough-looking trip to Boundary Park.

So the game was scheduled for Wednesday 25th October 1989, with the TV cameras in attendance for that night’s ‘Midweek Sports Special’ highlights package – the tv companies were obviously expectant of a memorable evening. However, what ensued could not have been envisaged by the wildest imagination, the game opened dourly but by half-time Latics were amazingly 5-0 up, even more amazing was that a striker that had scored a mere 3 goals all season had bagged them all! In 45 short minutes he has equalled the league cup record of 5 goals in one match held by amongst others Cyrille Regis. Bunn’s goals were a master class in finishing; a tap-in, a header from a corner, a tidy finish with the keeper unsighted, an individual finish and finally sneaking in at the far-post and all five were scored at an ecstatic Chaddy End. Despite there being further chances, Scarborough tightened up in the second-half although Andy Ritchie smashed home a tremendous 30 yard volley, and Bunn came agonising close to the record as he slid with the goalkeeper the ensuing deflection saw the ball trickle a whisker wide! Bunn was not to be outdone though, in the last minute Andy Barlow scampered down the touchline and his cross was head up into the air, it landed perfectly for the Big Brummie to arrow a volley into the bottom corner – Bunn had done it, the record was his outright and more importantly saw a media frenzy at Boundary Park.

The draw for the next round was made that night and Latics were rewarded with plum-tie at home to Champions Arsenal. In the mean time though there was the business of the league campaign. The team were in a healthy fourth position in the second division and Sunderland were despatched 2-1 at Boundary Park, and an Andy Ritchie stunner saw off Oxford at the Manor Ground. The Saturday prior to the Arsenal game, a John Keeley inspired Brighton escaped Boundary Park with an unlikely draw keeping the Latics in fourth position and well-placed for an attack on the top two. So Arsenal rolled into town, many thought a replay would be an achievement with George Graham’s team notoriously difficult to break down, however Boundary Park was expectant, the year before Everton had escaped Boundary Park with a fortunate 2-0 win in a Littlewoods Cup Replay, where only Neville Southall stood between the Toffeemen and a real pasting – the difference being a brace in the last six minutes from British Football’s most expensive striker – Tony Cottee. January 1988 had also seen Latics push Tottenham all the way in an FA Cup 3rd Round tie, where only wayward finishing and a master class from Waddle and Ardiles had seen Spurs edge Athletic out 4-2.

So, George Graham was understandably cautious, after-all Latics were free-scoring at home and lost only once all calendar year (Gary Megson’s debut goal for Manchester City in January) and only failed to score once. Graham packed his midfield, playing with lone striker Alan Smith, who bore down on goal early on but failed to get a shot away. Joe Royle in seeing Arsenal's defensive formation had switched his team around; Neil Adams was dropped in favour of centre-half Ian Marshall playing in a three-pronged attack, supported by winger Rick Holden and the full backs pushing on. Still chances were few and far between and it was the tight-affair that had been predicted. On the stroke of half-time, Andy Barlow managed to deliver a cross, the defence allowed it to reach Andy Ritchie wide of goal, who chested the ball down and hit a ferocious volley into the far corner past a bemused John Lukic. Latics had got the goal, Boundary Park erupted and the team had the momentum right on half-time.

The second-half began with Arsenal upping the tempo, within fifteen minutes Andy Rhodes had earned legendary status; making a string of wonder saves from Alan Smith, Perry Groves and David Rocastle and all at an adoring Chaddy End. The game wore on at a frenetic pace, still Latics held their slender advantage – then the turning point. Arsenal were still pushing up, suddenly Mike Milligan scampered clear, he was approaching the edge of the box and David O’Leary wrestles him to the ground (an out and out red card these days but barely a booking in 1989) The free-kick was awarded by referee Mr. Gifford, Denis Irwin steps up, Kevin Richardson looks tentative, he’s already had one Irwin thunderbolt in the midriff tonight! Irwin’s blockbuster hits the wall, Arsenal frantically try to scramble the ball away. It break’s to young midfielder Nicky Henry, who takes a touch then unleashes a thunderous effort that is away from Lukic and into the bottom corner before the Arsenal keeper can get across. Amazingly, Latics are two nil up! Now the team has license to express themselves, Arsenal know the game is up, if they go all out Joe Royle’s pacy young team will pick them off at will and just a few minutes later Andy Ritchie starts a move in midfield, feeds the marauding Denis Irwin and meets the full-back’s cross with a stooping header, game over! The champions are beaten and Boundary Park shakes under a sea of delirium. Even though the Latics defence gives away its customorary late consolation, nothing ruins the party atmosphere.

Suddenly, everyone wanted a piece of the club from the old Industrial town. The team were celebrities, in newspapers, magazines and on tv programmes. Despite this new found fame, a storm was brewing that threatened to rip the heart out of the club. The following Saturday, Frank Yallop’s own goal helped Latics to a well-earned draw at Portman Road, but the main story was breaking in Moss Side. Manchester City had been promoted the previous May, but under Mel Machin they had made a less than auspicious start to life back in the top-flight after an absence of two years. The final straw came two days after City had managed a 1-1 draw at Charlton, Machin was sacked and yet again City began the search for a new manager. Locally Latics had a great reputation of flowing football that oozed quality and brought the ensuing goals to match. The wins over Scarborough and Arsenal coupled with the healthy league position the team was enjoying had helped the club to rise to national prominence, unfortunately this meant that the club's talented young manager was hardly going unnoticed in his efforts either. Royle was quickly installed as favourite for the Maine Road hot-seat, later that week Royle was invited to speak to Manchester City - Peter Swailes clearly wanted a quick appointment and someone he felt could turn the fortunes of the struggling giant. By Friday 1st December it was increasingly looking like that night’s match at Boundary Park may well be Joe Royle’s swansong.

The fans were fantastic, singing their hearts out, staging a whip-round for the now famous ‘Please, Joe Don’t Go’ message on the electronic scoreboard (installed the previous summer), and of course his free-flowing team did their bit as well with a 2-0 win. At the final whistle an emotional Royle waved to the crowd but was still keeping his cards close to his chest. Hours after the final whistle Royle left an empty Boundary Park, as he walked out into the freezing night, he was met by an almost ‘blue’ with cold Latics fan who wearing only a t-shirt begged through chattering teeth that Joe stayed with Latics. A couple of days later Royle either turned the job down or City changed focus as to all at Boundary Park’s relief, Howard Kendall ended his exile with Athletic Bibao and was named Manchester City’s new manager. In typical Latics style they celebrated by being 3-0 down after 30 minutes at Vicarage Road the following Saturday, following a master-class of counter-attacking from Watford!

Latics who had been drawn away for a new year Littlewoods Cup quarter-final at Southampton, returned to London the following week to Upton Park for a difficult looking clash against the recently relegated West Ham, two early girls from Mike Milligan and an own goal from the hapless Colin Foster saw Latics register a welcome and all too rare away win.

The town was beginning to sit up and take notice of their team, the word was spreading and although only 4,940 had seen the win against Plymouth – 11,274 packed into Boundary Park for the Boxing Day clash with Port Vale another win sent the hoards home happy, the team had caught the town’s imagination, the momentum had to be kept up. Four days later, and another Boundary Park game this time with Portsmouth the visitors and another large crowd just shy of 9,000. The team quickly saw themselves 2-0 down to ex-soldier inspired (Guy Whittingham) inspires Pompey yet despite bringing the game back to 2-2 through Milligan inevitably Palmer, Whittingham pounced to complete his hat-trick. A late equaliser from Mike Milligan saw the spoils shared and ensured that Latics ended the year as they had started it – with a draw. However, times had changed; the momentum that had quietly built ove rthe previous three or four years began hitting full-throttle.been The question on everyone's lips was that, ould the club that had failed at the final hurdle so often finally go on on to achieve. As the eighties drew to a close who knew what awaited at the dawn of the nineties.....?

To be continued....if people want me to! :grin:

Edited by oafcprozac

A couple of typos aside, it's a great read Paul. I hope you're typing up the second half of the season as we speak.

That reminds me, the double header with Watford and West Ham just before Christmas, I'd mithered my dad endlessly to go to them, as being a young lad, gripped with Latics fever previously I'd only gone to local-ish games like Stoke and Sheffield United. He eventually caved in, but said he'd only take me on Barlows to one of them.

No prizes for guessing which one I chose :disappointed:

A couple of typos aside, it's a great read Paul. I hope you're typing up the second half of the season as we speak.

That reminds me, the double header with Watford and West Ham just before Christmas, I'd mithered my dad endlessly to go to them, as being a young lad, gripped with Latics fever previously I'd only gone to local-ish games like Stoke and Sheffield United. He eventually caved in, but said he'd only take me on Barlows to one of them.

I know keyboard's bollocksed :wink: And to be honest as I'm only putting it on here for now not really proof read it!

3-0 down after half an hour! PMSL! Then we go and win at West Ham the week after!

Edited by oafcprozac

Done a quick edit, hope it reads better! That was pretty poor in parts!

3-0 down after half an hour! PMSL! Then we go and win at West Ham the week after!

Haha Aye. Gutted. I still enjoyed it as you do, it's amazing how the club on a crest of a wave can make the odd 0-3 reverse be met with a simple shrug of the shoulders. Was more gutted when we went 2-0 at West Ham and I was listening on GMR ("Yes! A Goal!" / "Oh No!").

One of those Watford goals was brilliant. Think it was Glyn Hodges, smashed a free kick from way out which zoomed straight into the stantion and got stuck. Andy Rhodes humblingly had to fish the ball out. World Cup draw for Italia '90 was on after the game too.

Haha Aye. Gutted. I still enjoyed it as you do, it's amazing how the club on a crest of a wave can make the odd 0-3 reverse be met with a simple shrug of the shoulders. Was more gutted when we went 2-0 at West Ham and I was listening on GMR ("Yes! A Goal!" / "Oh No!").

One of those Watford goals was brilliant. Think it was Glyn Hodges, smashed a free kick from way out which zoomed straight into the stantion and got stuck. Andy Rhodes humblingly had to fish the ball out. World Cup draw for Italia '90 was on after the game too.

"It's a goal!" and "Oh No!" were from Piccadilly Sport mate with James H. Reevepresenting! Many a time the "Oh No" was the sound of impending doom marching over the horizon as another disappointing away day unfolded, with me usually holed away in my bedroom with my little Transistor Radio. Then it was off to the paper shop on 'The Green' to wait for the 'Pink Final' to arrive! Happy Days...

"It's a goal!" and "Oh No!" were from Piccadilly Sport mate with James H. Reevepresenting! Many a time the "Oh No" was the sound of impending doom marching over the horizon as another disappointing away day unfolded, with me usually holed away in my bedroom with my little Transistor Radio. Then it was off to the paper shop on 'The Green' to wait for the 'Pink Final' to arrive! Happy Days...

oi get off!!! That is my childhood your nicking :wink:

Happy days :)

Yeah, I remember the OH NO really well, you'd always wish it was Bolton or Stockport, but alas it was often Latics. :disappointed:

Yeah, I remember the OH NO really well, you'd always wish it was Bolton or Stockport, but alas it was often Latics. :disappointed:

For me luckily it was mainly 'it's a goal!' remember listening to many games with Piccadilly. Great times. Remember listening to a game against Bournemouth when Paul Moulden went goal crazy, think he got a brace in as many minutes and someone else scoring in a massacre score.

On the Joe Royle going to City thing........ The late Peter Swailes was interviewed on Kick Off by Elton Welsby about the vacant managerial position at Maine Road, and was also asked about the number of Managers he'd gone through during his tenure. His reply was along the lines of "Managers are like Television sets, when you want a new one, you just go out and get one" I heard from somebody (a club sponser at the time) who was in the know at the club that it was these comments by Swailes that finally perseuded Joe to stay with the "family" club that was Latics.

... Hours after the final whistle Royle left an empty Boundary Park, as he walked out into the freezing night, he was met by an almost ‘blue’ with cold Latics fan who wearing only a t-shirt begged through chattering teeth that Joe stayed with Latics. A couple of days later Royle either turned the job down or City changed focus as to all at Boundary Park’s relief...

IIRC Joe said that the lone fan, covered in snow, waiting for him outside BP to beg him to stay, was what made him realise the time was not right for him to leave Latics.

Does anyone know who that fan was?

IIRC Joe said that the lone fan, covered in snow, waiting for him outside BP to beg him to stay, was what made him realise the time was not right for him to leave Latics.

Does anyone know who that fan was?

I've heard he now has a season ticket for City.

As some of you know I've been looking into writing a book about Latics, I've moved away a little of my original idea and all will be revealed eventually! But anyhow, here's summat I've put together to try and raise spirits, yes it's :censored: at the moment but those aged late twenties up have fantastic memories that no amount of doom and gloom and board room apathy etc.. can destroy.

So it's Christmas! Let's indulge and for those of you too young to remember this lot...enjoy!

So at the moment we're that low that we feel we could easily parachute out of snake's arse, so here's my detailed memories of the 89/90 season...

Pre-season began with a friendly win at Northwich a couple of days after the final game of the season. A few days later Joe Royle announced his first signing in former Manchester United youngster Scott McGarvey who it was hoped would provide support for Andy Ritchie and Frank Bunn. From then on the close-season at Boundary Park was dominated by the story of the 'will he or won't he saga of Tommy Wright being out of contract, in the end he decided the grass was greener on the other side and this 12 year old from Fitton Hill was absolutely gutted when the Chron (no tinternet, or Sky Sport's News then my friends) announced that he had left for Leicester in a £300 odd grand transfer. Club captain John Kelly was also allowed to move on, as was Peter Skipper and both went to Walsall. Royle's thinking was that young midfielder Nicky Henry (who had made his breakthrough the previous season) would now get an extended run and Kelly's wages would be better spent elsewhere. Skipper's replacement was already at the club in the shape of combative leader and new club captain Andy 'The Enforcer' Holden. To compensate for Tommy Wright’s loss, Royle returned to his former club Everton to permanently sign the previous season's loanee Neil Adams, who had been instrumental in helping the team move up the table from February onwards. Adams cost less than a third of Wright's fee to Leicester.

A few days before the start of the season, Latics announced a public meeting at The Queen Elizabeth Hall, all Latics fans were urged to attend. Rumours were rife and speculation wild. In the end the meeting was merely to announce the launch of the 'Latics Starline' Lottery which was to help with team-building and went on to serve the club so well for nearly 14 years before its demise in the Summer of 2003. On the eve of the season, Joe Royle unveiled another signing, in Watford winger Rick Holden - a player who despite being only 25 had already played for a fair few clubs. However, he was well known to wider football fans - being instrumental in Watford's FA Cup run the previous season.

The season opened at bogey-ground Ewood Park with Joe Royle springing a surprise by leaving Ian Marshall and Roger Palmer on the bench (in truth this was the beginning of the end of Roger Palmer playing week in week out, instead he would earn his super-sub tag over the next 4 years!) Typically, Latics conceded an early goal to nemesis Simon Garner and that proved to be the only goal and Latics and their fans again left Ewood Park under a cloud. In truth the performance had been a lack-lustre one, and many wondered if we were again to spend the season entrenched in mid-table. Three days later the team were welcomed back to Boundary Park, new-signing Rick Holden made an immediate impact scoring the opening goal but a late Watford equaliser ensured the regulars again were presented with the familiar feeling of what might have been. The Oldham Chronicle’s reporter Bob Young’s headline was ‘Back to Life, Back to Reality' – referring to a line from Soul II Soul’s chart-topper of August ’89, but also to the fact that it was back to the life of the season and the reality of Latics’ poor defending again costing them points. The following Saturday Latics were soon 2-0 down to Swindon at Boundary Park, perennial bogey men Alan McLoughlin and Duncan Shearer inflicting the damage. In all honesty the team had been woeful, but as he had so often in the past, a late brace from Roger Palmer saved the day and an unlikely point. So three games in and there was clearly little to shout about.

The Swindon game saw an injury to influential captain Andy Holden, which would see the ‘Enforcer’ (as Joe Royle had nicknamed him) not return to action until the end of March. The armband passed to young midfielder Mike Milligan and the opening in the heart of defence saw youngster Paul Warhurst move in alongside Earl Barrett, (who himself had only recently converted from left-back) at the expense of Ian Marshall. However, the defence now had blistering pace and a willingness to bring the ball upfield rather than the no-nonense approach of the previous season’s defenders – Flynn, Marshall, Skipper and Holden. The obvious highlight of the opening month of the season was Rick Holden’s over head kick equaliser at St. James’ Park, Newcastle being fortunate to win the game with a disputed late winner from a Mick Quinn penalty, where Paul Warhurst had been harshly adjudged to have handled at point-blank range – Andy Rhodes who had been deputising for the injured Jon Hallworth since the beginning of the season got hands to it but the ball nestled in the corner. So four games in and Royle and his boys (and they were boys, the vast majority of the squad were under 25, with only Ritchie, Barlow, Donachie and the stricken Andy Holden over 25) were awaiting their first win. It finally came the week after, in typical Boundary Park fashion it was a topsy-turvy affair with Latics running out 3-2 winners over Plymouth Argyle in front of a paltry 4,940 spectators. Importantly, the win saw star striker Andy Ritchie register his first goal of the season. The season was off and running and the team quickly followed up with wins at Stoke, at home to West Brom and Leicester and winning both legs of a Littlewoods Cup tie with Leeds United 2-1. The only defeat in seven came at Bramall Lane, with Frankie Bunn finally getting off the mark with a late consolation in a 2-1 reverse.

October, continued in the same vein, the league form was continually impressive, Barnsley and Middlesbrough were despatched at Boundary Park, and although the team were soundly beaten at an Ian Bishop and Paul Moulden inspired Bournemouth, there were useful draws at Hull and Wolves, to add to another draw at home to Bradford. However, the highlight of October 1989 was the 3rd Round Littlewoods Cup encounter with Scarborough. Whilst Latics were beating Leeds 4-2 on aggregate in the previous round the Seadogs had been drawn against Chelsea – a side that had recently been promoted back to the top-flight after relegation in 1988. Chelsea won the first leg 2-0 and anticipated little problems in going to Seamer Road before a regulation passage into the third round round draw. Instead, Scarborough (only promoted to the football League under the tutelage of ex-manager Neil Warnock two years earlier) pulled off the shock of the round by winning the second leg 3-0. The cameras were live in the dressing room as the third round draw was made, with many of the Scarborough officials and players disappointed at drawing a tough-looking trip to Boundary Park.

So the game was scheduled for Wednesday 25th October 1989, with the TV cameras in attendance for that night’s ‘Midweek Sports Special’ highlights package – the tv companies were obviously expectant of a memorable evening. However, what ensued could not have been envisaged by the wildest imagination, the game opened dourly but by half-time Latics were amazingly 5-0 up, even more amazing was that a striker that had scored a mere 3 goals all season had bagged them all! In 45 short minutes he has equalled the league cup record of 5 goals in one match held by amongst others Cyrille Regis. Bunn’s goals were a master class in finishing; a tap-in, a header from a corner, a tidy finish with the keeper unsighted, an individual finish and finally sneaking in at the far-post and all five were scored at an ecstatic Chaddy End. Despite there being further chances, Scarborough tightened up in the second-half although Andy Ritchie smashed home a tremendous 30 yard volley, and Bunn came agonising close to the record as he slid with the goalkeeper the ensuing deflection saw the ball trickle a whisker wide! Bunn was not to be outdone though, in the last minute Andy Barlow scampered down the touchline and his cross was head up into the air, it landed perfectly for the Big Brummie to arrow a volley into the bottom corner – Bunn had done it, the record was his outright and more importantly saw a media frenzy at Boundary Park.

The draw for the next round was made that night and Latics were rewarded with plum-tie at home to Champions Arsenal. In the mean time though there was the business of the league campaign. The team were in a healthy fourth position in the second division and Sunderland were despatched 2-1 at Boundary Park, and an Andy Ritchie stunner saw off Oxford at the Manor Ground. The Saturday prior to the Arsenal game, a John Keeley inspired Brighton escaped Boundary Park with an unlikely draw keeping the Latics in fourth position and well-placed for an attack on the top two. So Arsenal rolled into town, many thought a replay would be an achievement with George Graham’s team notoriously difficult to break down, however Boundary Park was expectant, the year before Everton had escaped Boundary Park with a fortunate 2-0 win in a Littlewoods Cup Replay, where only Neville Southall stood between the Toffeemen and a real pasting – the difference being a brace in the last six minutes from British Football’s most expensive striker – Tony Cottee. January 1988 had also seen Latics push Tottenham all the way in an FA Cup 3rd Round tie, where only wayward finishing and a master class from Waddle and Ardiles had seen Spurs edge Athletic out 4-2.

So, George Graham was understandably cautious, after-all Latics were free-scoring at home and lost only once all calendar year (Gary Megson’s debut goal for Manchester City in January) and only failed to score once. Graham packed his midfield, playing with lone striker Alan Smith, who bore down on goal early on but failed to get a shot away. Joe Royle in seeing Arsenal's defensive formation had switched his team around; Neil Adams was dropped in favour of centre-half Ian Marshall playing in a three-pronged attack, supported by winger Rick Holden and the full backs pushing on. Still chances were few and far between and it was the tight-affair that had been predicted. On the stroke of half-time, Andy Barlow managed to deliver a cross, the defence allowed it to reach Andy Ritchie wide of goal, who chested the ball down and hit a ferocious volley into the far corner past a bemused John Lukic. Latics had got the goal, Boundary Park erupted and the team had the momentum right on half-time.

The second-half began with Arsenal upping the tempo, within fifteen minutes Andy Rhodes had earned legendary status; making a string of wonder saves from Alan Smith, Perry Groves and David Rocastle and all at an adoring Chaddy End. The game wore on at a frenetic pace, still Latics held their slender advantage – then the turning point. Arsenal were still pushing up, suddenly Mike Milligan scampered clear, he was approaching the edge of the box and David O’Leary wrestles him to the ground (an out and out red card these days but barely a booking in 1989) The free-kick was awarded by referee Mr. Gifford, Denis Irwin steps up, Kevin Richardson looks tentative, he’s already had one Irwin thunderbolt in the midriff tonight! Irwin’s blockbuster hits the wall, Arsenal frantically try to scramble the ball away. It break’s to young midfielder Nicky Henry, who takes a touch then unleashes a thunderous effort that is away from Lukic and into the bottom corner before the Arsenal keeper can get across. Amazingly, Latics are two nil up! Now the team has license to express themselves, Arsenal know the game is up, if they go all out Joe Royle’s pacy young team will pick them off at will and just a few minutes later Andy Ritchie starts a move in midfield, feeds the marauding Denis Irwin and meets the full-back’s cross with a stooping header, game over! The champions are beaten and Boundary Park shakes under a sea of delirium. Even though the Latics defence gives away its customorary late consolation, nothing ruins the party atmosphere.

Suddenly, everyone wanted a piece of the club from the old Industrial town. The team were celebrities, in newspapers, magazines and on tv programmes. Despite this new found fame, a storm was brewing that threatened to rip the heart out of the club. The following Saturday, Frank Yallop’s own goal helped Latics to a well-earned draw at Portman Road, but the main story was breaking in Moss Side. Manchester City had been promoted the previous May, but under Mel Machin they had made a less than auspicious start to life back in the top-flight after an absence of two years. The final straw came two days after City had managed a 1-1 draw at Charlton, Machin was sacked and yet again City began the search for a new manager. Locally Latics had a great reputation of flowing football that oozed quality and brought the ensuing goals to match. The wins over Scarborough and Arsenal coupled with the healthy league position the team was enjoying had helped the club to rise to national prominence, unfortunately this meant that the club's talented young manager was hardly going unnoticed in his efforts either. Royle was quickly installed as favourite for the Maine Road hot-seat, later that week Royle was invited to speak to Manchester City - Peter Swailes clearly wanted a quick appointment and someone he felt could turn the fortunes of the struggling giant. By Friday 1st December it was increasingly looking like that night’s match at Boundary Park may well be Joe Royle’s swansong.

The fans were fantastic, singing their hearts out, staging a whip-round for the now famous ‘Please, Joe Don’t Go’ message on the electronic scoreboard (installed the previous summer), and of course his free-flowing team did their bit as well with a 2-0 win. At the final whistle an emotional Royle waved to the crowd but was still keeping his cards close to his chest. Hours after the final whistle Royle left an empty Boundary Park, as he walked out into the freezing night, he was met by an almost ‘blue’ with cold Latics fan who wearing only a t-shirt begged through chattering teeth that Joe stayed with Latics. A couple of days later Royle either turned the job down or City changed focus as to all at Boundary Park’s relief, Howard Kendall ended his exile with Athletic Bibao and was named Manchester City’s new manager. In typical Latics style they celebrated by being 3-0 down after 30 minutes at Vicarage Road the following Saturday, following a master-class of counter-attacking from Watford!

Latics who had been drawn away for a new year Littlewoods Cup quarter-final at Southampton, returned to London the following week to Upton Park for a difficult looking clash against the recently relegated West Ham, two early girls from Mike Milligan and an own goal from the hapless Colin Foster saw Latics register a welcome and all too rare away win.

The town was beginning to sit up and take notice of their team, the word was spreading and although only 4,940 had seen the win against Plymouth – 11,274 packed into Boundary Park for the Boxing Day clash with Port Vale another win sent the hoards home happy, the team had caught the town’s imagination, the momentum had to be kept up. Four days later, and another Boundary Park game this time with Portsmouth the visitors and another large crowd just shy of 9,000. The team quickly saw themselves 2-0 down to ex-soldier inspired (Guy Whittingham) inspires Pompey yet despite bringing the game back to 2-2 through Milligan inevitably Palmer, Whittingham pounced to complete his hat-trick. A late equaliser from Mike Milligan saw the spoils shared and ensured that Latics ended the year as they had started it – with a draw. However, times had changed; the momentum that had quietly built ove rthe previous three or four years began hitting full-throttle.been The question on everyone's lips was that, ould the club that had failed at the final hurdle so often finally go on on to achieve. As the eighties drew to a close who knew what awaited at the dawn of the nineties.....?

if you dont keep going, i will hunt you down. the 0-2 loss to everton in the littlewoods cup was my 1st latics experience..didnae stop me going back. its really nice to read these great tales of who we once were. pleeeeeeeeeeease finish yr book, im dying to read this baby. cheers mate.

if you dont keep going, i will hunt you down. the 0-2 loss to everton in the littlewoods cup was my 1st latics experience..didnae stop me going back. its really nice to read these great tales of who we once were. pleeeeeeeeeeease finish yr book, im dying to read this baby. cheers mate.

Part II is being written as I type, being compiled from my sickbed...in a sea of snot and aching!