stadium design

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel duty bound when my posts are answered with a misunderstanding or a misrepresention. However.

Well I for one do not misunderstand your posts, you are entitled to your opinion. It is a mostly valid opinion, but then like the high majority you rely on supposition and guesswork, which does dilute a strong point. I'm not suggesting your point is wrong, just you don't have all of the facts, which nobody does. That's what makes all of the threads about new Stadia etc. mundane.

Well I for one do not misunderstand your posts, you are entitled to your opinion. It is a mostly valid opinion, but then like the high majority you rely on supposition and guesswork, which does dilute a strong point. I'm not suggesting your point is wrong, just you don't have all of the facts, which nobody does. That's what makes all of the threads about new Stadia etc. mundane.

I've said not a few times, in this thread and similar ones, that I don't claim to have all the facts. And that I'm only speculating on what Failsworth means for the club on the basis of what we've so far been told and the record of the last fifteen years or so.

Maybe reading threads properly would make them less mundane for people?

I've said not a few times, in this thread and similar ones, that I don't claim to have all the facts. And that I'm only speculating on what Failsworth means for the club on the basis of what we've so far been told and the record of the last fifteen years or so.

Maybe reading threads properly would make them less mundane for people?

But for all of your speculation you do tend to ram home your speculative point as if it were fact. As for reading them properly, if they didn't contain the same point over and over and over.......they might be of more interest.

But for all of your speculation you do tend to ram home your speculative point as if it were fact. As for reading them properly, if they didn't contain the same point over and over and over.......they might be of more interest.

If a speculative point is worth making, it's worth hammering home like it was fact, though.

Sometimes there is only one point to make. Lost sight of it at your peril. I made a vow to be stoic in my self-appointed role as conscience of the Latics fan.

If a speculative point is worth making, it's worth hammering home like it was fact, though.

Sometimes there is only one point to make. Lost sight of it at your peril. I made a vow to be stoic in my self-appointed role as conscience of the Latics fan.

So where Barry is 'the voice', you are the conscience? Hmmmm I wonder if TTA would allow you on the board?

Yes, but even Rochdale and Oldham traditionally have more in common than Oldham has with 'Mancunian' Failsworth: Lancashire accents, mill town heritage, fewer pretensions as to their own importance than big city people, a certain parochialism (although people within big cities can also be parochial), etc etc.

Oh, I don't know. What about the pre-milltown trade of oldham? The Hat industry. Now, which bit of the borough retained that trade into and beyond the milltown days?

As for having mills meaning we have more in common with rochdale than manchester, wouldn't that tie us to bolton more than ashton (which wasn't ever much of a milltown), which wouldn't resonate with many.

ps. Flat mushrooms with garlic and cheese, cooked in the oven 'til the cheese is crunchy. YumYum :grin:

And everybody knows that during the sixties and seventies there was an enormous influx of people into Failsworth from places like Collyhurst, Miles Platting, Moston (the proper bit), Harpurhey, Ancoats etc etc.

Hang on, people from all over moved to failsworth, and yet none of them could get up past the roxy?

1. Making something up and saying "everybody knows" doesn't make it true (is it the new version of "Fact."?)

2. My dad moved from south manchester to moorside - how did that happen? Couldn't some of the mostonians and harpurheyians etc have moved INTO oldham? The truth is out there!

Hats will that be Failsworth Hats Ltd, PO Box 2, Crown Street, Manchester, M35 9BD founded 1903 long after mill industry got going.

No, Oldham was a centre of felt hat making long before cotton took over. The nickname of the town's rugby team originates from it.

Hang on, people from all over moved to failsworth, and yet none of them could get up past the roxy?

1. Making something up and saying "everybody knows" doesn't make it true (is it the new version of "Fact."?)

2. My dad moved from south manchester to moorside - how did that happen? Couldn't some of the mostonians and harpurheyians etc have moved INTO oldham? The truth is out there!

Exactly- during the 70s my parents moved to Oldham (Chadderton to be precise) from the Oxfordshire area with roots in the Rhondda and Surrey- as they got jobs- my Dad even became a Latics fan, Failsworth would have been more convienient for my Dad's work too.

As far as I'm concerned Failsworth is in Oldham but then again Oldham is in Manchester and sometimes that bit of Manchester becomes Lancashire. It won't change just because the postie seems to think Failsworth is in Manchester but still in Lancashire or some busybody decided it was one side of a slightly arbitary line in the 70s (probably based on some canal/river/road). It won't change because someone believes Failsworth has more cultural links with Manchester than Oldham- Wales is full of English people and has loads of cultural links to England (and since Wales was never overun with Italians, northern Germans, Vikings or Northern French is probably more English than England) doesn't make Wales part of Englamd now does it. Fact

So Failsworth doesnt change easily? Mmm..lol

We do have more in common with Bolton Wakes holidays for starters. Rochdale had different weeks.. NEXT.

Hats will that be Failsworth Hats Ltd, PO Box 2, Crown Street, Manchester, M35 9BD founded 1903 long after mill industry got going.

A POSTAL address is just an administrative device for the royal mail to use. It means very little. Apart from that the post for failsworth was sorted at a manchester sorting office some time ago. Oldham's probably is now (or soon will be).

Middleton has a "M" postcode but is in Rochdale borough; Denton has M and is in Tameside. Bacup has OL and miles north of Rochdale and is virtually in yorkshire.

Exactly- during the 70s my parents moved to Oldham (Chadderton to be precise) from the Oxfordshire area with roots in the Rhondda and Surrey- as they got jobs- my Dad even became a Latics fan, Failsworth would have been more convienient for my Dad's work too.

As far as I'm concerned Failsworth is in Oldham but then again Oldham is in Manchester and sometimes that bit of Manchester becomes Lancashire. It won't change just because the postie seems to think Failsworth is in Manchester but still in Lancashire or some busybody decided it was one side of a slightly arbitary line in the 70s (probably based on some canal/river/road). It won't change because someone believes Failsworth has more cultural links with Manchester than Oldham- Wales is full of English people and has loads of cultural links to England (and since Wales was never overun with Italians, northern Germans, Vikings or Northern French is probably more English than England) doesn't make Wales part of Englamd now does it. Fact

Well, that just proves that YOU have nothing in common with Oldhamers and Latics. Everybody knows that! Pah!

A POSTAL address is just an administrative device for the royal mail to use. It means very little. Apart from that the post for failsworth was sorted at a manchester sorting office some time ago. Oldham's probably is now (or soon will be).

Middleton has a "M" postcode but is in Rochdale borough; Denton has M and is in Tameside. Bacup has OL and miles north of Rochdale and is virtually in yorkshire.

Saddleworth is in Yorkshire too :wink:

well there we have it, different people class themselves as different areas, I think only the latics fans, roughyeds fans (all 3 of them) and there families are classing themselves as oldhamer/lancashire the rest think of themselves as from manchester, yorkshire, or in the case of the 13 year olds who sit at the back of the bus brooklyn-new york,

either way it doesnt really matter where you build the new stadium, were going to have people saying its not oldham, unless you build it under the sign that says "welcome to oldham"

we need to look at what will make usmoney, whether it be nou camp oldham version or a piece of dessolate land painted as a stadium, if it makes us money and helps us with survival then i class it as a step forward, from there we can start making demands, when we can afford it.

Anyway - back on topic. You know... the design of the stadium.

This could be interesting. Yesterday, Wakefield Trinity unveiled the plans for thier new 12,000 seater stadium... which has the capcity to be increased to 15,000 if needed...

Wakefields New Stadium Plans.

siteplan_page_2.jpg

siteplan_page_2.jpg

Looks 3-sided to me... defo room for expansion if needed!

Failsworth may be hostile territory but I'd wager there are more Oldham fans in Failsworth than many other mooted locations- heck I reckon half of Oldham's fans don't live in Oldham MBC but some people have this big hang up about keeping Oldham in Oldham.

For one, your wrong. Like Corp, I have no stats to back this up, but speaking from experience (went to school there, lot of mates down there, often drink down there) there just aren't that many Latics fans. At all.

For two, "some people have this big hang up about keeping Oldham in Oldham"....oh dear. I actually shook my head when I read that, and wondered if I had read it right. Of course people want to keep Oldham in Oldham....because it's Oldham ffs. I'm guessing you just don't get it.

(For the record, I do see Failsworth as being part of Oldham. But I also think it is a shockingly bad location for a new Oldham Athletic stadium. If it was the other end of Failsworth, near Hollinwood, that would be mile better, but this location seems like a bad idea.)

For one, your wrong. Like Corp, I have no stats to back this up, but speaking from experience (went to school there, lot of mates down there, often drink down there) there just aren't that many Latics fans. At all.

For two, "some people have this big hang up about keeping Oldham in Oldham"....oh dear. I actually shook my head when I read that, and wondered if I had read it right. Of course people want to keep Oldham in Oldham....because it's Oldham ffs. I'm guessing you just don't get it.

(For the record, I do see Failsworth as being part of Oldham. But I also think it is a shockingly bad location for a new Oldham Athletic stadium. If it was the other end of Failsworth, near Hollinwood, that would be mile better, but this location seems like a bad idea.)

fair enough but would you rather it be at boundary park and not makin money or a mile outside andmaking more of a profit?

Sorry Zorro, but sometimes the repetitive rantings of the ridiculous reduce us to childish attacks on those who frustrate us the most.

I can't be bothered typing it all again but in short. I'll be there. If u don't like it, don't go. U can't be that much of a diehard if u won't travel a couple if miles down the road and therefore won't be missed.

Any chance we can get back on subject?

I personally really want to see the 'buy a brick' scheme so my name can be in the new stadium forevermore. Wherever it may be built.

P.s. I only called him dribbly!