Giver Upper

You tell me - I've already said that banging on about it on here won't change anything and there is enough evidence to suggest I'm right on that one.

Really not sure what you want folk to say Dave?

I'm with you, Derk, LeeS etc, can't be @rsed with it any more. But I'm not on here demanding for other mere mortal fans to do something about it. If you wanna do sommat about it then do it.

Like Derk, I'll just pick and choose my matches until interest is null. At that point I'll hang me scarf up for good.

Years ago i was with you with STR, then Trust Oldham came, I've given many hours of my time to try and improve the future of the club. Now I just haven't the interest in me any more.

Sounds like you can see the end in sight but you can't stomach it. Either finish it or do sommat about it.

E4e

SIMPL

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iv just been doin some random number crunching and research. just looked into peterboroughs newest stand. If youve been you know the one i mean.

http://www.theposh.com/page/LondonRoad/0,,10427,00.html

although it was built in 96 it still has the require facilities. And with the building trade abit on the slow side still if the club tendered the contract right they should b able 2 keep the cost down.

Peterboroughs cost £1.4m with 900k bein given in grants.

with further facilities and inflation i reckon we could build the broadway stand for £3m-ish. If the club work properly with naming rights and such and build around bp with plans they origionally had then atleast theres progress there. And if city sell richards they av virtually all the cash there. Then just build 2 stands similar 2 the rre and they av a stadium with all the required amenaties at half the cost of the proposed failsworth site and the capacity should b bout 18000 so no need to expand in the future althou there would be the option to add the corners if ever needed.

Like Derk, I'll just pick and choose my matches until interest is null. At that point I'll hang me scarf up for good.

So you're saying this, even considering there might be a change of form on the pitch?

I can't believe those that say things like this would not be tempted back should the team ever mount a promotion charge again.

It seems like nose cutting to spite face - after all the years of support you've put in, you deserve to leave the possibility of a return open.

So you're saying this, even considering there might be a change of form on the pitch?

I can't believe those that say things like this would not be tempted back should the team ever mount a promotion charge again.

It seems like nose cutting to spite face - after all the years of support you've put in, you deserve to leave the possibility of a return open.

Who knows?

Last season I missed a handful of games home and away. This season I've been to less than half the home games and not been to any away, for various reasons. When I aint there I don't miss it in the slightest. Don't need to be Vorderman to do the math, with a ST I'm paying for games I aint going to.

All I'm saying is next year I probably won't get a ST (1st time since 86) therefore picking and choosing my games. And when it gets to that point, with the money in my pocket, will there be more enjoyable things to spend my money and weekends on? Going off the past 2 (3, 4..) years it's a resounding yes.

Never thought I'd say this but the feeling has gone. I sat in front of andrewoafc (jklatics stalwart) for many a year, right up until his very last game. Every passing week his interest visibly drained. It was a habit that became a chore. One day he said he was offskis, I thought he was crazy and 'not a proper fan'. He's been back since to a freeby which we won and I thought we played OK; he thought we were gash. I'm now completely with him.

For so many reasons (see this thread) it's just not the same any more. Maybe that's not just Latics, it's football and me getting older. But as Rafa says, it's a fact. The whole aura around all things OAFC is at an all time low and the future doesn't look any better. And it's a cold hard sorry reality check when loyal fans who wouldn't dream of missing a single game in previous seasons feel the same.

E4e

BLEAK

No offence Ed but do you think you are qualified enough to really say what big business would do and would not do with a spare £60 / £70 million. I don't think I am to be frank so I am not going to rule stuff out like this. I do know property deals of this sort happen all the time and its only during the current recession things have dried up. That will not be the case forever.

I think what is happening is TTA want to move on and Failsworth will allow that. Is that the best for us ? I find it hard to believe...

none taken

i been doing some digging around and i managed to find out that the club had already had a deal in place with a top notch hotel chain to the tune of 10 million....then they also had 99% tied up a deal with a very big(at the time) leasure chain to take over the gym part of the deal in the chaddy end with underground swiiming pool!!! to a very similar figure,but the club was wholey dissapointed that the council,and the hospital wouldnt take up there offer of office space,thats when they put a brochure together and touted it round buisnesses but again with no take up..

however if you look at it,20 million in place for the hotel n gym,tta's were willing or are willing to invest 20 mill in a new ground,now the council is backing them it might be worth trying to broker a deal again as were only talking finding 40 mill of investment,im guessing building costs are going to be down greatly on first quotations,so maybe 40 mill isnt needed after all,and the club could if they wanted to to try and win back support from fans and stayaways alike reconsider building the oldham arena project.

Who knows?

Last season I missed a handful of games home and away. This season I've been to less than half the home games and not been to any away, for various reasons. When I aint there I don't miss it in the slightest. Don't need to be Vorderman to do the math, with a ST I'm paying for games I aint going to.

All I'm saying is next year I probably won't get a ST (1st time since 86) therefore picking and choosing my games. And when it gets to that point, with the money in my pocket, will there be more enjoyable things to spend my money and weekends on? Going off the past 2 (3, 4..) years it's a resounding yes.

Never thought I'd say this but the feeling has gone. I sat in front of andrewoafc (jklatics stalwart) for many a year, right up until his very last game. Every passing week his interest visibly drained. It was a habit that became a chore. One day he said he was offskis, I thought he was crazy and 'not a proper fan'. He's been back since to a freeby which we won and I thought we played OK; he thought we were gash. I'm now completely with him.

For so many reasons (see this thread) it's just not the same any more. Maybe that's not just Latics, it's football and me getting older. But as Rafa says, it's a fact. The whole aura around all things OAFC is at an all time low and the future doesn't look any better. And it's a cold hard sorry reality check when loyal fans who wouldn't dream of missing a single game in previous seasons feel the same.

E4e

BLEAK

I think there's a pretty hefty element of the current fan base that probably started supporting Latics on the back of the late 80s/early 90s and are probably of an age where higher priorities in life are coming to light (or they're 6 foot under!). Attendances might be dropping because these fans have never been replaced. So maybe the decrease in fanbase it natural?

If this is the case, there might be nothing we can do to get them back. The club will have to think of some way to entice future generations to come along, which is a different matter.

I understand there are other points as to why people don't want to go anymore, but they seem to be matters of behind the scenes politics, rather than to do with the team. We've been unwatchable before and we'll be unwatchable again. Basically people are using these factors as a tool to hit the football side of the club with when it's down. At the end of the day, it's the football team we support, not TTA, some miserable tw@t who moans all game or some stadium in Failsworth.

All the people making "hanging my scarf up" statements seem to be what I would consider the hardcore and have probably never uttered such thing before, but is there no way to look past the politics and, well, Keep the Faith?

Edited by JoeP

I think there's a pretty hefty element of the current fan base that probably started supporting Latics on the back of the late 80s/early 90s and are probably of an age where higher priorities in life are coming to light (or they're 6 foot under!). Attendances might be dropping because these fans have never been replaced. So maybe the decrease in fanbase it natural?

If this is the case, there might be nothing we can do to get them back. The club will have to think of some way to entice future generations to come along, which is a different matter.

I understand there are other points as to why people don't want to go anymore, but they seem to be matters of behind the scenes politics, rather than to do with the team. We've been unwatchable before and we'll be unwatchable again. Basically people are using these factors as a tool to hit the football side of the club with when it's down. At the end of the day, it's the football team we support, not TTA, some miserable tw@t who moans all game or some stadium in Failsworth.

All the people making "hanging my scarf up" statements seem to be what I would consider the hardcore and have probably never uttered such thing before, but is there no way to look past the politics and, well, Keep the Faith?

Basically, we started to sink at exactly the wrong time and got left behind by developments in football.

It could prove fatal, as nobody seems able or willing to fund the way back.

Basically, we started to sink at exactly the wrong time and got left behind by developments in football.

It could prove fatal, as nobody seems able or willing to fund the way back.

I agree we started to sink at exactly the wrong time.

The post was intended to try to work out why even the hardcore fans are losing interest in the football side of things. We haven't really ever had funds before, and it never put the true faithful off.

The majority of my beef at the moment is towards the team and management, not the politics side of things which I'll leave to other people. I just can't associate with the team any more, I have no clue what the manager sounds like, and most importantly it's absolute dross to watch. Granted that all stems from the top and the politics.

I'm actually a fan of TTA and (perhaps I'm being naive here...) I do believe they've got the best interests of the club at heart. But I'm afraid the buck stops at them with the current woefully inept performances dished up week in week out in a 3 sided absolute s**thole. Add all that to the politics and behind the scenes stuff and no wonder there's so much apathy amongst the fans. I've certainly got better things to do with my time thesedays.

I've no affinity to Oldham the town and am actually up for a move to Failsworth but I can't help feeling that's further proof of how much I'm bothered with OAFC and BP at the moment. If I was as passionate as I was a few years back perhaps I'd be chaining myself to the floodlights?

E4e

ASSOA

Not a regular poster on here, and expect to get slaughtered for my post but here goes...

Derek's post sums up exactly how I feel at the moment, and as a saeson ticket holder of nealy 25 years I'm not proud to admit it.

I was actually glad when the Boxing day game was called off.

I think what's doing for me is that I see that without the money there is only one way the club is going.

All I see is continuous loan signings to try and boost the squad and players who are simply not good enough, and by far worse, play without an ounce of passion.

Lets just hope City sell Richards and we can add a touch of quality with the money.

Me too - and normally (for the last 8 years) I would have been gutted if I came over at Xmas and New Year and not got in at least 2 matches...

Crewe away was great last Boxing Day and Hudders away in New Year as well so don't start telling me Ronnie Moore was right about us living in the Prem past. :grin:

Edit: I started supporting, well going to, Latics in 1977. I just read the post suggesting that the disillusioned fans may be the ones who started following us in the late 80s / early 90s

Edited by martjs

none taken

i been doing some digging around and i managed to find out that the club had already had a deal in place with a top notch hotel chain to the tune of 10 million....then they also had 99% tied up a deal with a very big(at the time) leasure chain to take over the gym part of the deal in the chaddy end with underground swiiming pool!!! to a very similar figure,but the club was wholey dissapointed that the council,and the hospital wouldnt take up there offer of office space,thats when they put a brochure together and touted it round buisnesses but again with no take up..

however if you look at it,20 million in place for the hotel n gym,tta's were willing or are willing to invest 20 mill in a new ground,now the council is backing them it might be worth trying to broker a deal again as were only talking finding 40 mill of investment,im guessing building costs are going to be down greatly on first quotations,so maybe 40 mill isnt needed after all,and the club could if they wanted to to try and win back support from fans and stayaways alike reconsider building the oldham arena project.

I am hoping and praying that when we see the Failsworth plans they look more like Oldham Arena instead of this community rubbish being suggested.

I am hoping and praying that when we see the Failsworth plans they look more like Oldham Arena instead of this community rubbish being suggested.

Theoretically the stadium could look even better than oldham arena, there were some cracking small stadiums posted in another thread. Sadly though they were all built abroad :( I really really hope it won't happen but I am pretty sure it will look like colchesters or shrewsburys. The only positive from that is that even though they are not great they are a million timed better than BP.

Theoretically the stadium could look even better than oldham arena, there were some cracking small stadiums posted in another thread. Sadly though they were all built abroad :( I really really hope it won't happen but I am pretty sure it will look like colchesters or shrewsburys. The only positive from that is that even though they are not great they are a million timed better than BP.

What it looks like is of little concern to me. What is in it / around it... and who owns what... and how much debt is involved etc etc is far more interesting / worrying....