Micah Richards Saga

Our owners have limited funds. We're in the midst of a recession. Other clubs who've over spent in the way you seem keen for us to do so are sweating like pigs as they bash away at their calculators trying to make the books balance.

(Is this really what you want for Oldham for the sake of a few seasons pretending to be a good Championship side?)

And aside from the fact that I haven't called on anybody to spend money they (allegedly) haven't got, I have to admire the ambition expressed here.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've already said on many occasions tht I don't really believe anything can be done unless we get seriously wealthy backers. Unfortunately, trying to reinvent the club as one of professional football's minnows will only drag it down further. We're already seeing how little the Oldham public is interested in a club going nowhere.

It doesn't matter how many times the point is made.

Sorry, so what's the alternative to this 'reinvention'?

Woof.

:blush:

Sorry, so what's the alternative to this 'reinvention'?

Woof.

How many times do I have to say that I don't think there is one apart from the unlikely arrival of seriously wealthy owners who have a genuine desire to take the club up the league?

The crucial matter is that the club has deteriorated to the extent that this has become the only option. Survival for the mere sake of survival is self-undermining. It will eventually lead to the demise of professional football in Oldham, as it simply isn't enough to sustain interest in the club.

...and speaking of Latics bullion - we spent £165,000 on Matty Rush when we were staring down the Div3 barrel.

Doesn't have any relevance to be honest, but just thought I throw that in there....

£750'000?? :shock: for Ian Olney.....

No wonder he ended up as an independant financial advisor :lol:

Edited by futchers briefs

:blush:

How many times do I have to say that I don't think there is one apart from the unlikely arrival of seriously wealthy owners who have a genuine desire to take the club up the league?

The crucial matter is that the club has deteriorated to the extent that this has become the only option. Survival for the mere sake of survival is self-undermining. It will eventually lead to the demise of professional football in Oldham, as it simply isn't enough to sustain interest in the club.

The club's deterioration over the last fifteen years or so is something we've all witnessed, not just you.

My problem is your incessant sniping about the capacity of the new ground. These men who own our club are trying to piece together something vaguely positive from the debris of what is (or was) Oldham Athletic AFC. I'm not happy either with a 12,000 capacity but the original Oldham Arena plans were made and released before the economic downturn. Please don't insult me and embarrass yourself by claiming this had no bearing on the decision to abort this plan.

An alternative plan has been made and is going ahead (with some unfortunate, recession-induced revisions, see: capacity) and I'm going to get behind it. We're not going to get any serious investment so by your logic: We move to Failsworth and die or stay at BP and die. Personally I'd rather take my chances in a brand new stadium with steady annual revenue streams.

Football at this level is bolloxed anyway, sticking another 4000 on the capacity will no more get Oldham into the Premier League as will waving my nutsack from my balcony.

Woof.

The club's deterioration over the last fifteen years or so is something we've all witnessed, not just you.

My problem is your incessant sniping about the capacity of the new ground. These men who own our club are trying to piece together something vaguely positive from the debris of what is (or was) Oldham Athletic AFC. I'm not happy either with a 12,000 capacity but the original Oldham Arena plans were made and released before the economic downturn. Please don't insult me and embarrass yourself by claiming this had no bearing on the decision to abort this plan.

An alternative plan has been made and is going ahead (with some unfortunate, recession-induced revisions, see: capacity) and I'm going to get behind it. We're not going to get any serious investment so by your logic: We move to Failsworth and die or stay at BP and die. Personally I'd rather take my chances in a brand new stadium with steady annual revenue streams.

Football at this level is bolloxed anyway, sticking another 4000 on the capacity will no more get Oldham into the Premier League as will waving my nutsack from my balcony.

Woof.

if this windfall did occur i would hope that they invested the 400k on the playing side,and the rest on running costs...

saying that this new stadium will never get expanded as corp has is in line with his cuurent views he expresses daily...

but i for one dont think its the case,maybe i am indeed deluded after all im supposed to be one of the numptys on here..

if this build goes ahead,and the income streams do in fact come to fruition which means the owners are not dipping into the personal cash all the time,and we do see an increase in more quality players and promotion is achieved,then sustain and maintain a position in championship before pushing on again...i dont think for one moment they wouldnt expand because that would mean they would be turning down extra cash.and i cant see them doing that.

if we build a four sided ground we could fill the corners in etc...this is of course totally different from the doom and gloom argument..but its got just as much chance as happening as has corps vision.

£750'000?? :shock: for Ian Olney.....

No wonder he ended up as an independant financial advisor :lol:

Olney scored 13 goals in a struggling team and that despite being played up front on his own for more than half a season, the bottom 14 teams in the Premiergreed would give their left bollock for that! He was a better striker than he was given credit for and he had the knack of scoring very important goals - especially the late brace v Leeds on his hiome debut, the late, late winner v Spurs, his brace in a minute v Liverpool and his goal which put us in front on the stroke of half-time v Southampton on the final day.

I sincerely hope Richards stays put until TTA have cleared out of Oldham.

I get the feeling that it won't matter much Steve TBH, if we owe a loan to them - won't Corney and his pals want that money anyhow, whether they're in the hot-seat or not?

I feel that there's still a lot untold in this story - plenty unsaid.

Perhaps Chris Moore did kill us off - but rather than being stabbed to death in an intimitate frenzy of greed, Latics will whither away slowly and painfully.

Latics has cancer.

Olney scored 13 goals in a struggling team and that despite being played up front on his own for more than half a season, the bottom 14 teams in the Premiergreed would give their left bollock for that! He was a better striker than he was given credit for and he had the knack of scoring very important goals - especially the late brace v Leeds on his hiome debut, the late, late winner v Spurs, his brace in a minute v Liverpool and his goal which put us in front on the stroke of half-time v Southampton on the final day.

His goals ratio was ok - albeit not many games over the time he was here 40odd or something, it just seemed a heck of a lot of money iirc at the time to gamble on 1 player.

His goals ratio was ok - albeit not many games over the time he was here 40odd or something, it just seemed a heck of a lot of money iirc at the time to gamble on 1 player.

He was THE up and coming forward in English football though (Alan Shearer apart) and played a big role in Villa's Championship challenge in 89/90. BUT we were also in for Tony Cottee and Nigel Jemson that same close season, instead we signed 'Rodders'. Shame his career was cut short through injury as him and Beckford looked to be forging a decent partnership at the back end of 92/93 and during pre-season 93/94. The fact both were injured for most of that season played a big part in our relegation, that and the fact Sharp took half a season to get fit after his back op and McCarthy was injured for 6 weeks so soon after his arrival and then struggled to adjust to top-flight football.

The treatment is in the hands of Oldhamers who, despite showing occasional concern, are witholding it in increasing numbers. :disappointed:

I see the fans as those holding bedside vigil, although aware of it's plight - ultimately powerless to change the course of the illness.

Woof.

I know it's the alternative plan, and I've criticised it on that basis.

Nobody claims that an extra 4000 seats will see us back in the PL, but 12000 (or is it 10000?) will see us stranded in your 'bolloxed' end of football for good. It's clearly the intention if you build a ground that can't even acommodate the kind of attendances we still managed on occasion until the Lookers' was demolished.

I see the fans as those holding bedside vigil, although aware of it's plight - ultimately powerless to change the course of the illness.

They stopped holding vigil years ag, and just make token gestures, thinking the patient will swallow their belief that it's the thought that counts.

if this windfall did occur i would hope that they invested the 400k on the playing side,and the rest on running costs...

saying that this new stadium will never get expanded as corp has is in line with his cuurent views he expresses daily hourly, on the hour in the mistaken belief we did not see it the first time, he thinks the club is wither don't you know...

but i for one dont think its the case,maybe i am indeed deluded after all im supposed to be one of the numptys on here..

if this build goes ahead,and the income streams do in fact come to fruition which means the owners are not dipping into the personal cash all the time,and we do see an increase in more quality players and promotion is achieved,then sustain and maintain a position in championship before pushing on again...i dont think for one moment they wouldnt expand because that would mean they would be turning down extra cash.and i cant see them doing that.

if we build a four sided ground we could fill the corners in etc...this is of course totally different from the doom and gloom argument..but its got just as much chance as happening as has corps vision.

Slight typo there ed, just doing my duty

Edited by singe

As mentioned earlier (although I cannot vouch for it's legitimacy) if the club owes Corney and Co. £3m, haven't we "benefitted" from this money already - in lieu of the anticipated Holy Grail that is the Micah's Millions?

Quite possibly. Does the 20% automatically now become the property of TTA, should it materialise?

Or will potential new owners take over this possible windfall as part of the contractual ownership (As TTA did)?

Either way, there is no guarantee it will enhance the team in any way.

By the time Failsworth comes along we will have been raped of every asset we have ever had, and left with a home that can only sustain itself if football can recover rapidly from its climatic demise.