TTA – Time To Abdicate?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea if they have put the feelers out to find a buyer in the right/wrong way. But when you look at the situations at Portsmouth or Notts County it's almost a relief that they haven't been successful.

In the long run, after we've been left with a small lego stadium in Failsworth and no hope or possibility of ever getting out of the lower divisions (if we've gone down to the fourth division there will be next to no chance of getting out of that), the result will be the same.

Corporal Jones; I've agreed with some of what you say, but you are the dullest man on this message board and your insistence of turning every post into a duplicate of the rest is really, really boring. That isn't happy clapping, just change the record for once eh?

As for the stadium debate (again), when are people going to realise that everything in this post is immaterial? Surely what is most at issue is that the club's support is declining? In a town that hasn't got an awful lot of economy to sustain it the recession has left us without a fanbase, coupled probably with tickets being too expensive.

If we were set up in a 12,000 seater stadium in Failsworth, filling it week in and week out then we would be in a much better position than we currently are. For the record I do not want to go there, and I oppose the idea of leaving BP's site, but what the hell are people on here actually saying? We go round and round the houses complaining about the team / club / owners without actually bothering to do anything about it. How many times do we have to hear about who has the least desire to go and watch their "beloved" OAFC?

Failsworth, we may have to realise, could be more a statement of our current level rather than a lack of ambission. We are losing money and have a :censored: ground and need at least two or three players of quality to turn a deeply average side into one that can start winning - the money for those guys is going to come from where exactly? The same owners we are currently bitching about?

12,000 paying customers sounds amazing to me right now, so is there any chance that this whining can be ditched unless there is a realistic alternative?

Corporal Jones; I've agreed with some of what you say, but you are the dullest man on this message board and your insistence of turning every post into a duplicate of the rest is really, really boring. That isn't happy clapping, just change the record for once eh?

For one thing, I am no more repetitive than most leading Happy Clappers, and for another, your opinion of whatever I write on here is completely irrelevant to me.

For one thing, I am no more repetitive than most leading Happy Clappers, and for another, your opinion of whatever I write on here is completely irrelevant to me.

To be honest chief I highly doubt that. I think that you spend so much time antagonising people with dull posts that you must get some naughty thrill from it, and that is why you leave no thread unturned in your search to tell everyone that we have declining attendances and a lack of ambition - easy to say on a faceless message board and a little bit boring.

Oh, and I happen to agree about the happy clappers - it is just as boring seeing someone who cannot spell or punctuate dive onto the board and breathlessly type that "we are going to change DP just needs time trust in the club unlucky blah blah blah keep the faith". That, however, does not excuse your dragging everyone down to the gutter with the normal drivel.

As for the stadium debate (again), when are people going to realise that everything in this post is immaterial? Surely what is most at issue is that the club's support is declining? In a town that hasn't got an awful lot of economy to sustain it the recession has left us without a fanbase, coupled probably with tickets being too expensive.

If we were set up in a 12,000 seater stadium in Failsworth, filling it week in and week out then we would be in a much better position than we currently are. For the record I do not want to go there, and I oppose the idea of leaving BP's site, but what the hell are people on here actually saying? We go round and round the houses complaining about the team / club / owners without actually bothering to do anything about it. How many times do we have to hear about who has the least desire to go and watch their "beloved" OAFC?

Failsworth, we may have to realise, could be more a statement of our current level rather than a lack of ambission. We are losing money and have a :censored: ground and need at least two or three players of quality to turn a deeply average side into one that can start winning - the money for those guys is going to come from where exactly? The same owners we are currently bitching about?

12,000 paying customers sounds amazing to me right now, so is there any chance that this whining can be ditched unless there is a realistic alternative?

We will not be filling the 12000 capacity stadium (the hastily-denied claims that it will be significantly smaller still in reality are probably close to the truth) week after week, because building a stadium incapable of holding as many people as we have on occasion still managed to attract to BP even in the recent abject period indicates only intentions to survive at this level, with anything else a bonus. This will not bring people flocking to Failsworth.

If you think that 'the recession has left the club without a fanbase', where do you think these 12000 supporters are going to come from? Are City and United fans suddenly going to embrace no-hope third and fourth division football?

How did it happen, by the way, that the recession abolished the club's fanbase? (And there was I, thinking the fanbase had been depleted by years of post-PL failure, hollow promises and false dawns.) If it did, it sounds like it's yet another historical first to add to the size of the bailouts and the scale of the various economic rescue packages.

How many times does it have to be restated that ground capacity is about ambition? It's about how many important games a club expects to be playing against big clubs in the future. A sub-12000 capacity suggest that the club no longer thinks that it's going to be playing that many.

The 'whining' comes precisely because we have been left with no alternative.

To be honest chief I highly doubt that. I think that you spend so much time antagonising people with dull posts that you must get some naughty thrill from it, and that is why you leave no thread unturned in your search to tell everyone that we have declining attendances and a lack of ambition - easy to say on a faceless message board and a little bit boring.

Oh, and I happen to agree about the happy clappers - it is just as boring seeing someone who cannot spell or punctuate dive onto the board and breathlessly type that "we are going to change DP just needs time trust in the club unlucky blah blah blah keep the faith". That, however, does not excuse your dragging everyone down to the gutter with the normal drivel.

I don't get any thrill from it. It's just that somebody has to get to the truth of the matter and counter the wishful thinking. There are plenty of others who've also glimpsed the truth about the club, even if most of them only appear occasionally. Far from taking up a lot of time on it, I'm rarely on here when I'm not paying attention to work and so on. Basically, I can do this with my eyes shut.

What are 'faceless message boards' when they're at home? What do you think the function of a board like this is?

Basically Mr Vega, you need to start thinking of me as a useful pre-empter of inevitable disappointment. A kind of Tony Robbins in reverse for fans of OAFC.

Or an alternative Barack Obama for Oldham. Altogether now: 'No we can't! No we can't"

Edited by Corporal_Jones

We will not be filling the 12000 capacity stadium (the hastily-denied claims that it will be significantly smaller still in reality are probably close to the truth) week after week, because building a stadium incapable of holding as many people as we have on occasion still managed to attract to BP even in the recent abject period indicates only intentions to survive at this level, with anything else a bonus. This will not bring people flocking to Failsworth.

If you think that 'the recession has left the club without a fanbase', where do you think these 12000 supporters are going to come from? Are City and United fans suddenly going to embrace no-hope third and fourth division football?

How did it happen, by the way, that the recession abolished the club's fanbase? (And there was I, thinking the fanbase had been depleted by years of post-PL failure, hollow promises and false dawns.) If it did, it sounds like it's yet another historical first to add to the size of the bailouts and the scale of the various economic rescue packages.

How many times does it have to be restated that ground capacity is about ambition? It's about how many important games a club expects to be playing against big clubs in the future. A sub-12000 capacity suggest that the club no longer thinks that it's going to be playing that many.

The 'whining' comes precisely because we have been left with no alternative.

Another masterpiece of deliberately misconstruing the point...

I did not think that we'd get 12,000 people - the point is that building a stadium vastly larger than our current attendances is not going to drive us down into the conference north. As for the abject period, can you hand on heart say this team is worse than some of the dross we saw when Ritchie was boss? Not his fault, because there was no money at the club, but these are almost man for man better players.

As for the recession damaging the fanbase, low income and uncertain tenure employment is always going to be at threat more than stable jobs. Oldham has a higher proportion of that sort of job amongst its residents, hence I would be very surprised if there were not a number of people who can no longer afford the regular £20 subscription. Post-PL failure? Don't make me laugh man you sound like you are actually saying that we are a Premier League stature side! Our post PL decline is to do with cold hard economics and a bit of poor management and ownership thrown in. As for hollow promises, who believes a football promise? There are no certainties so if someone gives you a hint as to what he intends - don't put the mortgage on it.

As for capacity versus ambition - nonsense fella. It is about a reality. A new ground could massively cut our expenditure on maintenance, and 12,000 fans would double our current footfall. If I was offered those numbers in any other walk of life then I'd take them in a second. Also, the idea that a brand new ground would be built without any capacity to expand is ridiculous.

The whining is not an inevitability; it is a bored, childish response to something that you don't like. Stop it, be a man.

Another masterpiece of deliberately misconstruing the point...

I did not think that we'd get 12,000 people - the point is that building a stadium vastly larger than our current attendances is not going to drive us down into the conference north. As for the abject period, can you hand on heart say this team is worse than some of the dross we saw when Ritchie was boss? Not his fault, because there was no money at the club, but these are almost man for man better players.

As for the recession damaging the fanbase, low income and uncertain tenure employment is always going to be at threat more than stable jobs. Oldham has a higher proportion of that sort of job amongst its residents, hence I would be very surprised if there were not a number of people who can no longer afford the regular £20 subscription. Post-PL failure? Don't make me laugh man you sound like you are actually saying that we are a Premier League stature side! Our post PL decline is to do with cold hard economics and a bit of poor management and ownership thrown in. As for hollow promises, who believes a football promise? There are no certainties so if someone gives you a hint as to what he intends - don't put the mortgage on it.

As for capacity versus ambition - nonsense fella. It is about a reality. A new ground could massively cut our expenditure on maintenance, and 12,000 fans would double our current footfall. If I was offered those numbers in any other walk of life then I'd take them in a second. Also, the idea that a brand new ground would be built without any capacity to expand is ridiculous.

The whining is not an inevitability; it is a bored, childish response to something that you don't like. Stop it, be a man.

The abject period I was referring to was the entire sixteen years since relegation from the PL, complete with Ritchie's early dross, false dawns, hollow promises etc. Post PL failure describes the failure to recover any of the lost ground and the continual decline which has resulted in the loss of what modest status the club previously held. Who would have thought, even five years ago, that we'd be looking at ourselves as playing catchup with the likes of Colchester and Scunthorpe? It was not a claim that the PL is our natural home. It is this period of decline that has eroded the fanbase. However, during this time we had, on occasion, attendances significantly bigger than the projected capacity for Failsworth of 12000 (or is it 10000?) This ought to tell you something.

The effect of the recession on professional football attendances is exaggerated by some, and used as yet another excuse for continual failure and decline at this club. For one thing, if you're in work, so far the recession has resulted in slightly more money in your pocket due to lower interst rates and so on. In any case the decline in attendances at BP was well underway before the recession was declared official. In actual fact it began while there was a so-called boom going on.

Most clubs doing well have been unaffected by the recession at the turnstiles.

You don't seem to realise that the relationship between a low capacity and low maintenance costs reflects precisely the prioritising of mere survival at the current level or below. Keep it small and we'll manage: that is clearly the conclusion the club has reached. However, traditionally, the capacities of most clubs' grounds have been well in excess of their average attendance at the time of building. There is the relationship between capacity and ambition: as I said, although I shouldn't need to due to how obvious it is-it is all about how many important games against big clubs you aim to be staging. 12000, or 10000, says everything we need to know.

There will be no ground extension. Ever. That's because mere survival at the lower end of football will never necessitate one. As SC apparently said (followed by another hasty denial), 'expansion will be difficult.' Although what he meant by that is open to speculation.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

How many times does it have to be restated that ground capacity is about ambition?

None. You've said it so many times, in spite of the Rule to the contrary, that there is not one member of OWTB who has not got your message. Your good point has been well made many times....end of!

None. You've said it so many times, in spite of the Rule to the contrary, that there is not one member of OWTB who has not got your message. Your good point has been well made many times....end of!

its making me chuckle how you have been banging on about the rule of repeating the same things, when all you have done lately is repeat what the rule is!

so really you are doing the thing me thinks . . are you not?

Apparently there's a subtle difference between the repetition of "opinions" and "facts".

In my "opinion" Diego's repeated hounding of the Corp is infinitely more boring than the Corp's brand of gritty realism, even if he does feel he has to repeat the same points in answer to those who believe everything in the garden is rosy. :wink:

its making me chuckle how you have been banging on about the rule of repeating the same things, when all you have done lately is repeat what the rule is!

Apparently there's a subtle difference between the repetition of "opinions" and "facts".

In my "opinion" Diego's repeated hounding of the Corp is infinitely more boring than the Corp's brand of gritty realism, even if he does feel he has to repeat the same points in answer to those who believe everything in the garden is rosy. :wink:

So it's not just me then.

It's the subtle difference mentioned by garcon that is covered by the Rules. If members adhered to the Rules it would comply with the spirit intended by those who introduced the Rules. I keep having to repeat the difference for those like creepy who think that my repetition is the same as C_J's.

C_J asked how many times did his opinion have to be restated? My answer was obvious to anyone who has read the Rules.

Weren't you one of his biggest detractors in the early days of your OWTB ? Apologies if I've got you mixed up with someone else....

Weren't you one of his biggest detractors in the early days of your OWTB ? Apologies if I've got you mixed up with someone else....

i was, i wasnt aware it went noticed

but i quite like jonesy now, i think he is spot on in most things he says about where we are going as a club (i think the same im not just agreeing with him)

this board needs jonesy i feel, to keep the nodders and clappers in check

bonus points for yard dog :lol:

i was, i wasnt aware it went noticed

No y'see, what you are supposed to do is go through life with one set of ideals and opinions and never, ever change them. :wink:

Keep those blinkers on, everything is going to be all right.

but i quite like jonesy now, i think he is spot on in most things he says about where we are going as a club (i think the same im not just agreeing with him)

Exactly.