TTA – Time To Abdicate?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Or if they did, so did another band.

Power and the passion by Midnight Oil?

People, wasting away in paradise

Going backward, once in a while

Moving ahead, falling behind

What do you believe, what do you believe

What do you believe is true

Nothing they say makes a difference this way

Nothing they say will do

You take all the trouble that you can afford

At least you won't have time to be bored

Oh the power and the passion, oh the temper of the time

Oh the power and the passion

Sometimes you've got to take the hardest line

Sunburnt faces around, with skin so brown

Smiling zinc cream and crowds, Sundays the beach never a cloud

Breathing eucalypt, pushing panel vans

Stuff and munch junk food

Laughing at the truth, cos Gough was tough til he hit the rough

Uncle Sam and John were quite enough

Too much of sunshine too much of sky

It's just enough to make you want to cry

I see buildings, clothing the sky, in paradise

Sydney, nights are warm

Daytime telly, blue rinse dawn

Dad's so bad he lives in the pub, it's a underarms and football clubs

Flat chat, Pine Gap, in every home a Big Mac

And no one goes outback, that's that

You take what you get and get what you please

It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees

Edited by oafc1955

There is nothing whatsoever abusive about T.O. I.'s article, nor has anybody said anything abusive in reply to it. I can't even remember a time when any direct abuse has been directed at the current club owners on here. Criticism is not abuse.

Few club owners walk away when they stand to make some money, abuse or not.

I never said or implied there was any abuse in the post. I implied there was madness in the suggestion that they should abdicate because when someone abdicates there is always an obvious successor. There isn't one here.

I never said or implied there was any abuse in the post. I implied there was madness in the suggestion that they should abdicate because when someone abdicates there is always an obvious successor. There isn't one here.

Why raise the subject of abuse and bricks through windows then?

Perhaps you're right about the title, but I don't see how anybody could claim that the content of the article isn't spot on.

Power and the passion by Midnight Oil?

People, wasting away in paradise

Going backward, once in a while

Moving ahead, falling behind

What do you believe, what do you believe

What do you believe is true

Nothing they say makes a difference this way

Nothing they say will do

You take all the trouble that you can afford

Sunburnt faces around, with skin so brown

Smiling zinc cream and crowds, Sundays the beach never a cloud

Breathing eucalypt, pushing panel vans

Stuff and munch junk food

Laughing at the truth, cos Gough was tough til he hit the rough

Uncle Sam and John were quite enough

Too much of sunshine too much of sky

I see buildings, clothing the sky, in paradise

Sydney, nights are warm

Daytime telly, blue rinse dawn

Dad's so bad he lives in the pub, it's a underarms and football clubs

Flat chat, Pine Gap, in every home a Big Mac

And no one goes outback, that's that

You take what you get and get what you please

Good song but still not the one I had in mind.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Why raise the subject of abuse and bricks through windows then?

Perhaps you're right about the title, but I don't see how anybody could claim that the content of the article isn't spot on.

I claimed no such thing. Most of the article is factual. This really isn;t complex. They tried, they made mistakes and they failed on the five year plan but suggesting they should just pass it on to next in line makes no sense because there ain't no queue.

Re bricks through windows - we know that sort of thing happens. If I was a Director of a club and it happened to me once, just once, I would walk.

I claimed no such thing. Most of the article is factual. This really isn;t complex. They tried, they made mistakes and they failed on the five year plan but suggesting they should just pass it on to next in line makes no sense because there ain't no queue.

Re bricks through windows - we know that sort of thing happens. If I was a Director of a club and it happened to me once, just once, I would walk.

I'm not saying you claimed anything.

Maybe bricks through windows do happen, but again, it's got absolutely nothing to do with anything expressed in this thread.

I'm not saying you claimed anything.

Maybe bricks through windows do happen, but again, it's got absolutely nothing to do with anything expressed in this thread.

That's a bit rich - it's not like you've ever hijacked a thread!! Night night.

The legacy of Chris Moore is the creation of a menatlity among many Latics fans that sees them frightened of their own shadows.

Not wishing to make it personal, but there are some that would suggest that you are a sanctimonious old git.

I, of course, whould never suggest such a thing. I don't know your age.

Sometimes the prophets of doom have a point, although a tendancy to overstate it doesn't always help.

I fear little. I would like TTA to sell up and move on - but only to an owner that has the means and staying power to improve the current situation. Until such an owner is found I really don't think a "get the owners out" campaign (organised, or otherwise) helps the football club or the fans.

Given that a football club owner can always call in the debt the club has to them and effectively cause the business to enter administration or worse.

Then again, last week of the season, 13 points and a superior goal difference from the drop zone, no chance of the play-offs and new owners on the horizon .... a great time to enter administration!

Edited by opinions4u

Oh......my......goodness.

The greatest post I have ever read.

Pity you didn't also read O4U's post (No 7 I believe) regarding quoting the full article :grin:

Reason for edit: Ah! I see you have done now!

Edited by outoftheblue

My gut feeling at the moment " No three Amigos - No Football Club"

+ 1

can you actually see in this recession anyone else taking on a lowly football club with debts and no proper ways of supporting itself?

or for that matter can you see anyone else putting the money in to keep us afloat?

with all the billionaires going round using football clubs as something to gloat about to their mates I think were pretty lucky, because at the end of the day when theres a new 'in' thing for these billionaires these football clubs would be got rid of, except the few that are actually making them a profit,

they dont care about the fans the history or the game, half couldnt even tell you a brief 10 year history of the club!

we have ones that are actually looking for ways to make the club make its own money rather than pour millions into a short term fix then bugger off, they are looking for ways to make us self sufficient and to ensure a long term profit,

it will benefit them too of course but so what? are we so selfish that we want these people who saved our club, stuck with us through hard times and continued to pay off debts to go home empty handed after making us a profit? thats what people seem to be worried about TTA getting money, as long as the club are getting money there should be no quarrels with them pocketing something for themselves

TTA – Time To Abdicate?

If the plan to relocate Athletic to Failsworth is completed, and TTA then walk off into the sunset, which they have as good as said will indeed happen, then where does that leave the club? Where is the value to draw in the next benefactor? What it boils down to is a question of whether it is better for the club’s long term future to move. If the club were to find itself in a position of not being able to attract ongoing investment, the answer to that has to be no.

Five years: five managers; no promotions; no relegations; no new stadium.

It leaves the club with a new stadium, better facilities and more chance of making a profit,

the value to draw the next benefactor is a club with more ways of funding itself! wheres the value to the next benefactor at the moment?

come take over our club with no money, poor attendences, nothing to generate income and fans who no matter what you do to save their club, will turn on you the moment you make yourself a bit of money

TTA arent doing this to piss everyone off im sure of it or they wouldnt have bothered in the first place, they are looking to make the club self sufficient, theres no sense in them leaving after doing that for us, they will stand every chance of attracting investment when the club has something to attract them with, at the moment while we have nothing were going to get laughed away!

the question is, if you were in charge what would you do with your money? how would youmake the club self sufficient? remember that there are laws and people opposing your plans and doing everything in their power to stop it

the question is, if you were in charge what would you do with your money? how would youmake the club self sufficient?

1. I'd spend it on building a team capable of getting into and sustaining itself in the Championship.

2. I'd realise that it's nigh on impossible for a football team to be self-sufficient.

TTA arent doing this to piss everyone off im sure of it or they wouldnt have bothered in the first place, they are looking to make the club self sufficient,

Or maybe this has now become a damage limitation exercise after failure to achieve any of their objectives, and they would like to depart with as little financial loss as possible.

:lol:

I understand he was Divinely appointed recently when the Heavens opened and a great beam of light shone down upon him whilst a choir of Angels sang his praises. He was anointed with Holy Oils and the Voice of God spake onto the worshipping mortals who prostrated themselves before him, telling them that Barry was their Leader, and probably a handy bloke to know if you got a speeding ticket.

Typo corrected.

+ 1

can you actually see in this recession anyone else taking on a lowly football club with debts and no proper ways of supporting itself?

or for that matter can you see anyone else putting the money in to keep us afloat?

with all the billionaires going round using football clubs as something to gloat about to their mates I think were pretty lucky, because at the end of the day when theres a new 'in' thing for these billionaires these football clubs would be got rid of, except the few that are actually making them a profit,

they dont care about the fans the history or the game, half couldnt even tell you a brief 10 year history of the club!

Quite right. The debacle at Notts County is the flip side of it, and I'm glad we're not going through that. No sign of investment there and they'll be down the pan quicker than you can say "lack of ambition".

It's a fair question to TTA though. Is it the right thing for them to do? Yep, we probably will be a lower league club for a good while to come, but give me that over trying to throw money at it blindly, when we missed the boat ages ago, any day of the week.

I'm pretty bored of all these TTA out/Stadium winges posts anyway, I've been for quite a while. I've missed football over this frozen period.

The legacy of Chris Moore is the creation of a menatlity among many Latics fans that sees them frightened of their own shadows.

It could have something to do with their memories looming large with the stark reality of the club being only 24 hours away from liquidation, when it looked like Latics would go out of business and have to resurface as a non-league Club. It's so easy now to say they were worrying unnecessarily, because it would never have happened. It's also easy to say that, in spite of TTA coming to the rescue, that's how the Club will end up anyway due to their lack of resources/ambition and eagerness to walk away with money in their pockets.

The OS reported that at the second Forum at Radclyffe School, Simon Corney said “We’re not looking to get up and leave or to not see through on the mission.. …we would never put the Club into administration or anything like that. I think that people are upset that we’ve been down this road before”.

He also said “A financial genius could not get out of this deal level. I don’t ever see us taking money out of the Club. The Club doesn’t have a burden of debt, it’s all personal and that’s a pretty good safeguard to have.

Without making this a sob story - we are never going to get our money back. It’s bizarre how anyone can come up with figures to suggest we can make money. The only way to break even would be to sell Boundary Park and go back to America. We stay because we like it. If we wanted to we could walk away, sell boundary Park and there’s nothing could be done to stop us and if we’re supposedly trying to make money from this why would we not do that now and walk away?"

Where there's life there's hope, even if the hope proves to be forlorn. Better to be frightened of shadows and living in hope than to conclude that doom is the only future. Nothing to do with being happy and clapping, although a bit of clapping and singing wouldn't go amiss when the team is playing, but even going to watch the team and getting behind it is now scoffed at.

Those who still support the team can empathise with TTA when SC said "We know it’s an emotional thing for many people. We’ve fallen for the place. It’s where we started."

It appears to have become fashionable to deride everything to do with the Club, and undermine it to the extent of willing it to fail. Only time will tell whether TTA have been true to their word. In the absence of anyone prepared to buy them out, their statements of intent are all we have until we see how the plans materialise.

The OS sets out the consultation process:

Phase One: Key stakeholder consultation including speaking with:

Oldham council and Council Officers;

Members of Parliament;

OAFC Supporters (the second Forum and survey of fans at BP) and Community Trust;

Residents, Sports Clubs and Community Groups;

Commercial partners;

Statutory consultees.

Phase Two: Widespread public consultation on a preliminary plan.

Phase Three: Detailed consultation on master plan proposal,

Phase Four: Submission of planning application.

At the second Forum SC also said “Any doubts you have I welcome. But for the majority of people here we know by now, I welcome those with the more difficult questions to come here and ask them. But they’re not here tonight, I read the message boards because they have lots of constructive stuff on and we welcome constructive comments.

When Phase Two commences, hopefully this month, it is up to everyone to take the opportunity to have their say on the preliminary plan, before it becomes the master plan, or forever hold their peace.

All this consultation is likely to delay the start of the development, but better that than not doing the job thoroughly.

What was said at the second Forum:

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...1900398,00.html

At the second Forum SC also said “Any doubts you have I welcome. But for the majority of people here we know by now, I welcome those with the more difficult questions to come here and ask them. But they’re not here tonight, I read the message boards because they have lots of constructive stuff on and we welcome constructive comments.

I would love to see SC come on here and clear a number of things out (although you have to question why Barry is not doing that - although I have given up any hope of the trust / Barry doing anything like this now)... I have a :censored: load of concerns but I am more than prepared for those concerns to put at rest...

If they read the boards why not respond to some comments... Not everyone can make these meetings....

Edited by oafc0000

Superb post! Pretty much says it all.

I have criticised some on here in the past for negative veiws of TTA namely oafc0000 and the Corp and for that I deeply apologise chaps becuase I am converted........!

It seems you were right all along and unfortunately we are going nowhere......... and it will only get worse when they sell our land and bail out! IMO