Fans love a good scapegoat...

I agree Furman has been poor, but much of it imo is down to the manager's approach. In pre-season he looked very much the attacking midfielder so it may be he's gone into his shell, he may be missing the insurance of Worthy alongside him or as I say the manager's tactics are stifling him. Having said that the manager's tactics are not stifling young Dale too much. Perhaps League One is a step too far for Dean who knows? What I do know is that there is a tidy footballer in there who can keep the ball and spot a pass - he just needs to play 30 yards further forward.

Jury's out for me but I'm not writing him off yet, a lot of influential people in the game rated him. Rangers were gutted to lose him and one of the best midfielders in the 80s/90s Stuart McCall was gutted to miss out on him permanently. However, Stephens has showed him the way and should keep the shirt, purely for his energy and his set-piece delivery and the fact he attempts to get forward.

I've only just read this after responding to a poster above, I've got a mate who eats, sleeps and breathes Rangers and he said that he just disappeared out on loan.......to Bradford, found his level in that imo, so we have a midfielder on a 6 months into a 3 year contract.......who isn't getting regular 1st team placements but will be happy as a pig in :censored: because all he has to do is keep himself fit for the next 2 1/2 years and he might get a chance, so wrong!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on! You know i'm on about May '98-May '01. (Ritchie's last season was cut short in October 2001) Chris Moore bought the club in May'01 and spent very little of Moore's budget before he was sacked in October 2001, Wadsworth was the one who went loopy with the 'budget!

Ritchie in his time here (5 months apart) never had a pot to piss in! And it was strange that Holden, Mini-Shez, Eyre, Armstrong, Eyres and Carss (all Ritchie signings) were such an integral part of Dowie's play-off season - only two cost fees but Ritchie only spent on one of them)

His signings with the Moore money were Balmer, Eyre, Mini-Shez and the young winger from Blackburn (Lee Hardy?). Later he paid money for Armstrong and signed Dean Holden on loan and paid £70,000 for Wayne Gill.

Before Warnock was sacked in 1998, the club triumphantly announced it had taken on 15 trainees full-time and they would form the nucleus of the squad for the next couple of years and by Christ the club was right. I stick by my original point, Stitch had about 20% of what Penney and Shez had last season and yet we still stayed in the division ('99 apart), very comfortably and ruffled a few feathers along the way. As Wozzer says it was often awful but they played to their abilities and because so many were kids that's where the inconsistency came from. We could be fabulous or we could be dire but it was never for the want of trying and some of the football from let's be honest Conference standard players was sublime! (The winner at home to Cambridge stands out as does a back to front goal v Chesterfield - home and away!)

The issue we have now is that fleeting glimpses and two battling performances apart we do not know what this team is capable of because the manager has stifled all attacking threat and virtually guarantees the biggest underachievers in the squad their places every week - come what may! (Smalley and Whitaker)

I can handle being :censored:e, I'm a Latics fan! What I can't handle is the pisspoor unimaginative tactics and players who do not put a shift in.

Well that is what I have seen with my own eyes the figure for that season that was published prior to the chris moore arriving was £2million club wage bill (its a legal requirement to publish these figures correctly if we did not we would be breaking the law and would have resulted in prosecution of David Brierley and his fellow owners at the time) We have same kind of budget as we did then and we have the same kind of problems you may or may not believe me on that but thats what I have seen.

I do agree though with your assesment of the current poor performances under Penney though I wouldn't have been disappointed on thursday morning to find out he had recieved his P45 Ritchie did try to play football and he did do ok with what he had ok nothing brilliant I just can't see that period of time with him at the helm as being a particulalrly good time to be an Oldham Fan. The difference now is that then Brierley and co never promised anything the hope associated with TTA's arrival has sadly evaporated in the last 12 months for various reasons lets say.

I am told Penney has the same budget as Shez had (it might be lie / it might be true...how would I know)

Simon Corney in todays MEN

"I can categorically say that, given the money we've spent on players this season, it's higher. There are teams with bigger budgets in the division, but it's certainly not a bottom-four budget."

If this does not put to bed the 'Penney had a smaller budget' myth to bed I don't know what will.

I dont think any Latics fan with an adequate number of brain cells expected us to go up this season. However, with the budget we have, I do not think it is too much to expect that the manager assembles a squad with enough about it to keep well away from trouble. Its not like we are in a situation like Hereford were, punching well above their weight on a 800k a yr wage bill, and we are not experiencing financial problems to the extent that administration severely limits who we can sign.

If we go down, it will be as a result of gross mismanagement both on and off the field.

I don't doubt it's not a bottom 4 budget...it's not a top 10 one either. But we knew that. Find it very, very hard to believe it's higher than last season...altho if it is, it'll only be higher than Shez's low 3rd season one (where he also went looking lower down...O'Grady, Stephens etc.)...there's no way it's anything like what each manager under TTA have had in their 1st season! So doesn't change much on the view that he's got :censored:loads...simply...he hasn't! Corney just talking a "good one"

Edited by boundaryblue80

I don't doubt it's not a bottom 4 budget...it's not a top 10 one either. But we knew that. Find it very, very hard to believe it's higher than last season...altho if it is, it'll only be higher than Shez's low 3rd season one (where he also went looking lower down...O'Grady, Stephens etc.)...there's no way it's anything like what each manager under TTA have had in their 1st season! So doesn't change much on the view that he's got :censored:loads...simply...he hasn't! Corney just talking a "good one"

TTA talking up how much they're shelling out on the club? Surely not!

There's no way as much has been spent on this team than on any under Sheridan, Moore or Talbot.

TTA talking up how much they're shelling out on the club? Surely not!

There's no way as much has been spent on this team than on any under Sheridan, Moore or Talbot.

:censored: knows who to believe... Sack the board... Sack the trust... And sack the manager... All useless...

O deary me, im the biggest happy clapper of them all! and yet i still wonder whats going to happen to us, i thought penney was being very clever bringing these players in, he obviously knows something about these players no-one else does, to me they looked like decent league 2, below than average league 1 players, and it turns out they are just that, im waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel but its getting smaller and smaller,

and I know whats going to be said by penny, we're going to get better, we're showing promise, the players are going better, and before each match the excuses seem to be already made up,

i hope im wrong i really do but i cant see what to do or where we can go from here

O deary me, im the biggest happy clapper of them all! and yet i still wonder whats going to happen to us, i thought penney was being very clever bringing these players in, he obviously knows something about these players no-one else does, to me they looked like decent league 2, below than average league 1 players, and it turns out they are just that, im waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel but its getting smaller and smaller,

and I know whats going to be said by penny, we're going to get better, we're showing promise, the players are going better, and before each match the excuses seem to be already made up,

i hope im wrong i really do but i cant see what to do or where we can go from here

I agree mate. Wanted him to have a season at least before I made my mind up but never been more convinced that we are going down. We are :censored:, but I believe we have the players to turn it round.............. although we need a change in tactics and unfortunately that means bye bye. I am disappointed with the signings because anyone can say its bad luck but he has signed so many injury prone players its untrue and that isn't a coincidence, its bad planning and therefore bad management. Lets face it...... I work in sales. There is aproximately 30 of us in my team at work.................. if my gaffer brought in 7 or 8 new bods in the summer who didnt work til now and no sign of when they will make a difference she would be up :censored: creak without a paddle!

And all the talk of budgets is rubbish, he had good money and spent it on Colbeck who he then doesn't fancy! Seriously I believe we could have Rooney and Torres upfront but would still struggle because he is too negative! I would rather lose 2 or 3 nil every week and at least have a go to win!

Penney out for me!