BUMP: Politics and Stadiums in Oldham

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes but stuff like the waterfall in oldham centre which just gets vandalised and is an eye sore, the 250,000 no oldham logo which is a green O, it just strikes me that its too much money spent on things that dont seem to benefit anyone?

Two perfect examples of harebrained Labour schemes that the Lib Dems would gladly have scrapped last May if it would have saved them any money (i.e. Labour had already committed to the spend with contractors etc).

I can't recall the details, but there have been various schemes aimed at making Friday nights safer (not all successful but at least the intention is there).

Encouraging the kind of inward commercial development that would make Oldham a nicer place for residents and visitors alike always seems to have been something the council has struggled with (whoever's in power). One can't help being envious of the kind of redevelopment Bury town centre has seen, for example (and that's just my impression driving through). It's incredibly frustrating that one of the most prime development sites in the Borough - the M60 junction 'Oldham Gateway' site at Hollinwood - is still largely empty and/or derelict with no imminent sign of any planning applications let alone work starting.

It's incredibly frustrating that one of the most prime development sites in the Borough - the M60 junction 'Oldham Gateway' site at Hollinwood - is still largely empty and/or derelict with no imminent sign of any planning applications let alone work starting.

:ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

As someone who grew up attending the Roxy it annoys the feck out of me... Wasn't the vision for that area a huge business park ? The sort I was saying above we need so much ?

Edited by oafc0000

Yep. The recession scuppered the latest possible plans, but it'd already been a site of near total desolation for too long by then. If everyone involved had got their arses in gear as soon as the M60 detail plans were available (like they did at Ashton Moss) it could have been alot different.

Edited by garcon

• 11 months later...
I think this thread may be relevant again, some good comments worthy of re-digesting….

Is it time we inform the council that come the next election we'll be putting a candidate forward? I've mentioned this before, not got a clue about politics but I'd be willing to be involved. It's time we said enough is enough, the council's not totally to blame for the Oldham Arena or Ferney Fields messes but…

Alexandra Retail Park cock-up

The Railway warehouse eyesore

Budgets spunked on insignificant sculptures in the town centre

The old town hall

The state of the town centre

Yorkshire Street being a modern day dodge city at Weekends

Sportspark 2000

The Rugby Club and Greyhound track

Ikea

M & S

Throwing out and delaying the Odham arena (terminally)

The Failsworth cock up

Vance Millar

Spending millions removing perfectly good bridges and infrastructure at Mumps when the rail line simply needed upgrading for metro-link

Super Market overkill in the town

Weak leadership

Weak due process

Failing the Oldham public for decades

Edited by oafcprozac

Is it time we inform the council that come the next election we'll be putting a candidate forward? I've mentioned this before, not got a clue about politics but I'd be willing to be involved. It's time we said enough is enough, the council's not totally to blame for the Oldham Arena or Ferney Fields messes but…

Alexandra Retail Park cock-up

The Railway warehouse eyesore

Budgets spunked on insignificant sculptures in the town centre

The old town hall

The state of the town centre

Yorkshire Street being a modern day dodge city at Weekends

Sportspark 2000

The Rugby Club and Greyhound track

Ikea

M & S

Throwing out and playing the OLdham arena

The Failsworth cock up

Vance Millar

Spending millions removing perfectly good bridges and infrastructure at Mumps when the rail line simply needed upgrading for metro-link

Super Market overkill in the town

Weak leadership

Weak due process

Failing the Oldham public for decades

well summed up

Council has failed the town for about 17 years IMO...

I would suggest we need more people like you prozac who have "not got a clue about politics" but care deeply about the town standing and being elected...

Charlton did it, Brighton I believe rocked the boat big-time and Bournemouth too. Sitting on a messageboard moaning and feeling hard done by will not change things. As I've said before direct action is the way forward. This time I fear protests will have minimal effect. Time to disrupt the gravy train and hit the self-gratifying dinosaurs where it hurts the most...

Charlton did it, Brighton I believe rocked the boat big-time and Bournemouth too. Sitting on a messageboard moaning and feeling hard done by will not change things. As I've said before direct action is the way forward. This time I fear protests will have minimal effect. Time to disrupt the gravy train and hit the self-gratifying dinosaurs where it hurts the most...

I agree... but to have a real impact you need to get quite a number elected in various seats...

I know exactly what you mean about putting a candidate forward, and I don't want to appear to be pouring cold water on the suggestion.

In reality though, if this proposal was successful, the independent councillor would not be appointed to the Cabinet, which would be made up of the controlling political group with the odd opposition councillor from the other main party appointed as a gesture.

Gone are the days when the Council was run by a series of committees, made up of councillors appointed in proportion to the political parties' success at the polls. Occasionally, if some councillors were absent, the remainder could take decisions against the will of the controlling group. Now, whichever party has control, it can fill the Cabinet with its councillors and take all decisions, leaving the remainder of the councillors frustrated.

I wonder if this is the kind of democracy for which Egypt is crying out. :unsure:

I have some experience in this regard. I hate politics, but do take a curious interest. Recently plans were unveiled to build 600 homes in the village/town where I live, which would be about 20% expansion with lots of infreastructure problems already.

So I have set up a campaign, highlighted meetings and attending local council meetings and a couple of town council meetings.

My experience is that the councillors whilst well meanging leave it all to a small band of "professional" councillors who are probably retired and have more time to get into the nitty gritty.

Basically, of 30 councillors (town and local) 2 had read all the plans. the rest have one aspect they are intersted in, and ignore everything else of just vote with the party/most vocal councillor.

The most shocking is how many sit there and say nothing for several months of council meetings.

I know exactly what you mean about putting a candidate forward, and I don't want to appear to be pouring cold water on the suggestion.

In reality though, if this proposal was successful, the independent councillor would not be appointed to the Cabinet, which would be made up of the controlling political group with the odd opposition councillor from the other main party appointed as a gesture.

Gone are the days when the Council was run by a series of committees, made up of councillors appointed in proportion to the political parties' success at the polls. Occasionally, if some councillors were absent, the remainder could take decisions against the will of the controlling group. Now, whichever party has control, it can fill the Cabinet with its councillors and take all decisions, leaving the remainder of the councillors frustrated.

I wonder if this is the kind of democracy for which Egypt is crying out. :unsure:

I posted about much the same thing at the same time

In my case, in Tunbridge wells, the Executive Committee has just been disbanded as they voted out the Chairman/Leader. It's all been political infighting and no action for some time. THe Executive ruled everything in Tunbridge Wells till the Councillors rebelled. I think the councillors were the Egyptians in this case, it was middle class peaceful protest!

An interesting thread to resurrect, if only to make me wish Harry posted a bit more.

The candidate idea was discussed a while back. Oldham desperately needs something new to stop the cycle of rot.

Lots of very important considerations to make, not least in which ward should the candidate stand, is it an opportunity to make voices heard during campaigning or a genuine bid to elect a councillor, is there a declared affilliation with Latics or is it a new and unattached Oldham Independent movement, what are the core values, how is this different to the succession of other nutters that manage about 50 votes, what are the first three simple, practical things the candidate would call for to improve the lives of the people in their ward....???

An interesting thread to resurrect, if only to make me wish Harry posted a bit more.

The candidate idea was discussed a while back. Oldham desperately needs something new to stop the cycle of rot.

Lots of very important considerations to make, not least in which ward should the candidate stand, is it an opportunity to make voices heard during campaigning or a genuine bid to elect a councillor, is there a declared affilliation with Latics or is it a new and unattached Oldham Independent movement, what are the core values, how is this different to the succession of other nutters that manage about 50 votes, what are the first three simple, practical things the candidate would call for to improve the lives of the people in their ward....???

What about a candidate in each ward? Call ourselves something like OLdham Regeneration or the Oldham Together Group, something to galvanise the majority of townspeople who want better for the borough...

Your joking I assume.

After the cr*p I took for putting this thread together in the 1st place, I have vowed only to comment on football issues.

I set this thread up because this town has a huge history of b*llsing major developments up be it the Rugby, Westood Park now B&Q) Claytons, BP and now unfortunately I fear Failsworth. In fact see Prozacs post above for a more definitive list of c*ck ups.

Anyway, as I said until this whole sorry saga is resolved, it's footabll only posts.

Out of interest, and apologies if any1 else has already answered this, but whats happening with those houses being "built" behind the Chaddy? nothing seems to have happened for months and there is a sign advertising 5/6? a side football, but with no phone numbers or details where it is, (granted i haven't fully studied the board on my way to getting a pie) .

I set this thread up because this town has a huge history of b*llsing major developments up be it the Rugby, Westood Park now B&Q) Claytons, BP and now unfortunately I fear Failsworth. In fact see Prozacs post above for a more definitive list of c*ck ups.

As I said, Oldham M.B.C. (Major Balls-up Council). :disappointed:

Your joking I assume.

Honestly, no. Old stuff now, but the "outing" of your interests at the start of this thread genuinely wasn't malevolent. In fact I'm sure quite a few people would welcome you posting what you can about the wider, non-football issues.

Honestly, no. Old stuff now, but the "outing" of your interests at the start of this thread genuinely wasn't malevolent. In fact I'm sure quite a few people would welcome you posting what you can about the wider, non-football issues.

Point accepted.

I'll think carefully about this over the next day or so and in view of this weeks events may reconsider my stance. If I do re-post, it won't be pretty I'm afraid.

Point accepted.

I'll think carefully about this over the next day or so and in view of this weeks events may reconsider my stance. If I do re-post, it won't be pretty I'm afraid.

could we not as a collective (owtb members) group of like minded people,take issue and sue oldham council for failing in almost everything they do....in particular the many plans to redevelop bp and generate a town to be proud of....missapropriation of funding or mismanagement....???

could we not as a collective (owtb members) group of like minded people,take issue and sue oldham council for failing in almost everything they do....in particular the many plans to redevelop bp and generate a town to be proud of....missapropriation of funding or mismanagement....???

Is there an echo in here?