BUMP: Politics and Stadiums in Oldham

There's always an element who are cynical and who don't trust others.

Harry has proven his commitment to the club many times - and I don't mean on here. I doubt if he's losing much sleep over some of the doubters.

If the club benefits as a result of the commercial nous of others - good.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for clearing that up Harry.

Maybe the phrase 'Financial gain the size of harry's' was a little presumptious, and I apologise for intimating you were gaining far more than you actually are, but my point - like Garcon's - was that it's only fair that people should know your company's level of involvement with the project when you are offering a post that is leaning in favour of selling the land at BP. I stand by that part of my post.

Had I been financially involved in the land at failsworth I would have been on here pushing for the project to happen. Though I would also expect people to question my agenda if they knew my identity and involvement.

In your reply, I'd rather you had posted something along the lines of 'Yes, my company has an involvement with the project, but I've offered my personal opinion' rather than having to reveal your identity - that wasn't my intention.

Your commitment to the club and its future have never been in question, and your post eloquently states your passion for OAFC, and your desire to help where you are able, which are admirable, and we'd like more local businesses to show the same interest in the club. You also state that your company will make a profit from the project, which is really the only point I thought needed clarifying when I read your original piece. Sorry it went this far.

Right. It's time to (hopefully) kill stone dead a number of misconceptions that people may or may not have about me and my involvement.

Over the last few weeks, I have receieved various comments about this supposed "financial gain" that I am apparently making from my involvement, not least from some on here. The best one though came a week last Saturday when I was enjoying a quiet meal with my wife at a local pub/restaurant following the Millwall game. Obviously someone recognised me and decided I was fair game and claimed that it was common knowledge that I was making £1.7 million pounds out of this. I had to pick my Mrs, who is also a latics fanatic, up off the floor at that comment. She couldn't stop laughing and asking me why I hadn't told her.

If you want to know what we get out of this, then read the story very carefully from when the project was announced last September.

Plans announced

I thought the third paragraph was clear enough, but just in case I quote it below for clarity with the all important word highlighted.

"The joint venture has been put together by Managing Director Simon Corney, Club Director and Director of Ryder & Dutton Ian Hill and Holroy Developments Managing Director Paul Whitehead and is seen as the best way forward for developing the Boundary Park site to ensure that all the profits from the sale of the properties assists in the funding for the new stadium."

Yes our Company will take some money out of the project, but you have to make a profit or you make a loss and if you continue to make a loss you go out of business. At bthe end of the day, I have come up with a scheme that gives the club the best possible return and no one has bettered it.

Lets be frank. Since the crash in the housing market, how many posters on here have come up with a viable solution to the problems facing the club? It's not a critisism, but a genuine question. I chose not to sit on my backside and let others find that solution. I had an idea, approached the club with it and it turns out that it is so far the only viable solution on the table. If you have an alternative I'm sure that Messrs Blitz Gazal and Corney will be eager to hear it. If it beats what I have put forward; I'll gladly step aside. Until then.......................

People will think what they want to think. I can't stop or avoid that, but the simple fact is that I am a Latics fan and have been all my life. I want what is BEST for the club and it's future. Yes I "work" in the ticket office, but the word work suggests a payment is receieved for services rendered. You wouldn't believe how much it has been suggested I get paid and not once has anyone got it right. The truth is I have have worked there since October 1975 when I was 15. I love the buzz on a match day. It's brilliant and as I have gotten older it is in all honesty a break from the trials and tribulations of working life. It's my hobby. I've seen people on here have problems with tickets and other things and have where possibvle sorted them out, no fuss, no glory just pleasure in serving the club.

The same applies with the BP development. I approached the club with this idea in December 2008, way before Failsworth came on the scene, so to accuse me of doing this article as a way to line my pockets, is wide of the mark. I've done the article because I am sick and fed up with the Politics in this town ballsing up just about every major regeneration project. Latics have been on the end of it for 20 years now and they managed to kill off the egg chasers, something we should never forget. To me it looks like it may happen again thats why I am so passionate. I've shown that I won't sit on my hands when action is required and I won't do so now.

Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it. I respect those who oppose the move and understand why they do. If you ask me do I WANT to leave BP. then my answer would like 90% of other fans be a no. However, having been close to the project I have formed a different opinion and I think the move will give us a better future than staying at BP. That is my honest belief. I want my son to still be watching latics in 30 years even if I'm not around to do so. I want latics fans to stick together for the future of the club just like the summer of 2003 and the march in support of the planning in 2007.

There are quite a few on here who know me and who know how open I am about what I do. Those who do know me also know my dedication to the club. For those who doubt me, you can usually find me in the Grey Mare after a Saturday home game. If you want a chat and to know more call in and have a drink. I'll always chat anything Latics related.

Finally, for outoftheblue and the part of your post highlighted above, don't make comments that you can't prove and if you knew the facts you would prove to be blatantly wrong.

I hope I have answered the questions raised. I have never tried to hide who I am or what I do, but at the same time I've never publicised it because after all this is just a meassage board. If knowing what you now do, the majority don't think I should post then fair enough I'll stay off here. Until then, I'll keep giving my opinion.

Er, nearly forgot.

Cheers,

Harry

just for paddy sorry Lee Sinnott

So, let me get this right....

You're Ian Hill??

Cheers,

Lee

He has, but not that he is likely to enjoy "personal gain" (not that I would have any real grievances with that of course).

Garcon, Harry's Christian name has been bandied about on here a few times in the past.

Edited by oldham59

It is probably the worst run town in the north of england, in all honesty all a politician in this town has to say to get my vote is:

"I wont buy crap stuff and put your name on the bill, im not going to get involved in petty squabbles with other parties, I wont send you our 'newsletter' once a week which just states that the others are the devil, and I will use common sense in my decisions"

but then again can any politician in the world promise that?

I'd guess that he's either Ian Hill or Paul Whitehead, my money is on the latter. I can't see that any other builder would build on BP on a piecemeal basis without wanting hugely reduced land prices, and the builder is the key to the deal imho.

300 houses (eventually) on the BP site is gonna cost a lot to build (min £50k each?) and would likely have a land cost attached too (£50k each too?). That's a fair amount of money to invest wiht no return, I can't say I'd take that risk for no reward. Would any of us?

If it works for the club (first and foremost) and it works for you harry, then fair play. The only problem is the land issue at failsworth, although that would be a problem for both parties. And I'd also suggest that the FRAGs might have aproblem proving that the land IS a protected/whatever trust - the Charity commision say there's no proof it is, but no proof it's not, and as we all know, you cannot prove a negative; you can only prove what actually is.

give up mate, unless your willing to pour your entire lifes savings into a project, plus promise any future income to it, and state that you dont want a penny back then they will see you as evil and money grabbing,

too much paranoia in here that everyone in the club is trying to swindle money out of it

It is probably the worst run town in the north of england, in all honesty all a politician in this town has to say to get my vote is:

"I wont buy crap stuff and put your name on the bill, im not going to get involved in petty squabbles with other parties, I wont send you our 'newsletter' once a week which just states that the others are the devil, and I will use common sense in my decisions"but then again can any politician in the world promise that?

There's nothing common about common sense.

I love it when people come out with absolute subjective nonsense like "it is probably the worst run town in the north of England" when (presumably) their experience of living in other towns in the north of England is somewhat limited.

I think the worst thing to have blighted Oldham over the last four decades has been an apparent total absence of town planning - leading to the patchwork mess of a town centre we see today. Apart from that, I honestly doubt Oldham is much better or worse than any other similar town (in terms of size and wealth) you could mention. The council was among two or three in the north that were singled out for praise in how well they handled the recent cold weather, so they're clearly getting some things right.

I hope someone comes into politics completely free from the 3 dominant ones and says "i dont get involved with them lot, i just want to make oldham better" I can guarantee most will probably jump ship very quickly!

Just so long as you're not one of those who think Vance fecking Miller is that person... :blink::grin:

I mean just stuff like, its going to cost loads and not benefit anyone then dont do it, if it doesnt cost thatmuch and needs doing then do it

The problem is, how do you value what needs doing? It might be the most obvious thing in the world that they should support some centre that your family uses, or refuse planning permission on land near your house, but the same decisions might seriously affect other people's interests (ie a different centre might then be closed, or they don't get a flat on the land that hasn't been developed). Common sense only gets you so far, although it isn't a bad step.

I love it when people come out with absolute subjective nonsense like "it is probably the worst run town in the north of England" when (presumably) their experience of living in other towns in the north of England is somewhat limited.

I agree...

But having lived in Macclesfield, Bury, Oldham and Warrington I can defo say Oldham is by far the worse. It has next to nothing in the realm of commercial or leisure. It does still have a strong manual labour industrial presence in the form of mills offering work in fields such as picker packing and such like. It also has a reasonable retail offering with the spindles / town centre. And one of the best things about Oldham is the sixth form college (or at least is still was a few years back).

The biggest problem for Oldham is retaining talent within the town. I think my experience echos many. Grew up on a council estate, used his school and sixth form college to get to University and never came back (not totally true - was back for about two years in-between Macclesfield and Warrington)... Very little in the town to retain this sort of pool of people. Everyone wants out of dodge. There is hardly any commercial work in the town compared to other regions. It means Oldham retains its "working class" feel and not much more. Now I have nothing against the good honest hard working people or anything like that but if that is all you have you do have issues that go along side that. Every town need a mix, Oldham does not have it. Other towns I have lived in do have it. The best being Warrington who has an excellent mix of them all!

Edited by oafc0000

I was basing this on living in oldham but also keep up to date with ashton rochdale huddersfield sheffield york preston bolton andblackburn as i have friends their, thery always tell me about these great schemes that improve the area as a whole for example huddersfield run extra patrols of police on fridays and saturdays round local corner shops, this cracks down on local yobs getting drunk and also has reduced vandalism on the area, they also spent a lot of money on youth centres so they have somewhere to go and not roaming the streets,

we dont seem to be doing that here, we seem to get money and waste it on crap schemes that no one likes from the off except the councillors themselves

The problem is, how do you value what needs doing? It might be the most obvious thing in the world that they should support some centre that your family uses, or refuse planning permission on land near your house, but the same decisions might seriously affect other people's interests (ie a different centre might then be closed, or they don't get a flat on the land that hasn't been developed). Common sense only gets you so far, although it isn't a bad step.

yes but stuff like the waterfall in oldham centre which just gets vandalised and is an eye sore, the 250,000 no oldham logo which is a green O, it just strikes me that its too much money spent on things that dont seem to benefit anyone?

I agree though that while it may be great for some its not for others