Gary Hoolickin

I had a good chat with the above the other day whilst he was fitting the old man's new kitchen. Plenty of old times memories and stories mere fans never tend to hear from within clubs had a hour and half pass in what seemed minutes.

Anyway, anyone remember the interview with Kenny Clements, jack held and wrote up on JKLatics? would any Mod or poster on here not want to try and do likewise? am sure Gary would oblige over a pint or two.

I had a good chat with the above the other day whilst he was fitting the old man's new kitchen. Plenty of old times memories and stories mere fans never tend to hear from within clubs had a hour and half pass in what seemed minutes.

Anyway, anyone remember the interview with Kenny Clements, jack held and wrote up on JKLatics? would any Mod or poster on here not want to try and do likewise? am sure Gary would oblige over a pint or two.

Gary was one of the most underrated players to serve the Latics.

Edited by BP1960

You write it - we'll host it. :)

Gary was one of the most underrated players to serve the Latics.

He always gave 100%. Not the most naturally gifted player to ever grace the hallowed turf of Boundary Park, but what would you give now for someone with his commitment?

He always gave 100%. Not the most naturally gifted player to ever grace the hallowed turf of Boundary Park, but what would you give now for someone with his commitment?

One look at his knee these days tells you about his commitment. Like he says, the young boy (forget his name) who played one reserve game at OT who got injured in that game recieved nigh on 4 million comp and Gary got a fat zero back in the day. He told me the tale of when visiting the PFA headquarters and on seeing the Lowry Gordon Taylor had bought as a investment adorning the wall, how he went bollistic and the said Lowry entered the safe there on in!!

One look at his knee these days tells you about his commitment. Like he says, the young boy (forget his name) who played one reserve game at OT who got injured in that game recieved nigh on 4 million comp and Gary got a fat zero back in the day. He told me the tale of when visiting the PFA headquarters and on seeing the Lowry Gordon Taylor had bought as a investment adorning the wall, how he went bollistic and the said Lowry entered the safe there on in!!

Neil Woods? Late 80s From Oldham as well wasn't he? (Not to be confused with the fleeting Neil Wood we had here a couple of years back)

Edited by oafcprozac

Another pearler Gary talked about which proves how in grained the narrow minded and non ambitious with money club directors were back then. The Latics were playing a long night southern away game and just boarded the bus when a dirtector (Schofield I think it was) called Gary off the bus. Gary being the elder statesman at the time was handed a crisp £5 note and was told to tell the lads they were being treated to Fish & Chips all round. Gary said the Director really thought he was being very generous as this wasn't a regular occurance and how they all laughed at the Chippy when money needed to be added to pay for it all. He added they were a tight bunch.

Another pearler Gary talked about which proves how in grained the narrow minded and non ambitious with money club directors were back then. The Latics were playing a long night southern away game and just boarded the bus when a dirtector (Schofield I think it was) called Gary off the bus. Gary being the elder statesman at the time was handed a crisp £5 note and was told to tell the lads they were being treated to Fish & Chips all round. Gary said the Director really thought he was being very generous as this wasn't a regular occurance and how they all laughed at the Chippy when money needed to be added to pay for it all. He added they were a tight bunch.

Will barely buy Fish, Chips and peas these days that mate. Having said that I bet it would have bought barely the Keeper and defence's tea back then an' all!

Gordon Taylor is a tool. Smug little git

My one and only meeting with Gary was as a 15 year old at the tube station after we'd just lost 1-0 to Forest in the League Cup final. My dad recognised him - I didn't really know him - and he was a real gent. Put a few things into perspective (particularly for me - at 15 I tended to have unrealistic expectations of us) and gave us a bit of an insight into how a real footballer saw the game. I'm glad to hear that you found him to be just as genuine. If he does end up doing an interview, I'll read with interest.

I'm not old enough to remember him playing for Latics but his lad was a couple of years below me at my (non-state) school, some time after he was no longer playing for Latics (roughly 1995), so he can't have been that badly off. I'm not saying anything about his commitment but I would take any story about a professional footballer from the 80s and later being that badly off with a pinch of salt. Plus didn't that reserve lad get a big pay-out because he was due to earn £10k/week for 15 years if you've only got 1 or 2 years left of your career anyway your payout for injury is never going to be that high.

I'm not old enough to remember him playing for Latics but his lad was a couple of years below me at my (non-state) school, some time after he was no longer playing for Latics (roughly 1995), so he can't have been that badly off. I'm not saying anything about his commitment but I would take any story about a professional footballer from the 80s and later being that badly off with a pinch of salt. Plus didn't that reserve lad get a big pay-out because he was due to earn £10k/week for 15 years if you've only got 1 or 2 years left of your career anyway your payout for injury is never going to be that high.

Thats the sad thing...Bacon face Taggart gets involved and they jump handing out a huge amount of cash for a lad who may not have made it.

The game is sick.....greedy bastards. On a personal note I hope the Sky 4 England team crash and burn in SA....FINISH BOTTOM OF GROUP WITH NO POINTS

Does anybody else remember Gary getting "Shed"loads of stick from the Chelsea fans at Stamford Bridge in 83/84? They started to pick on him because of his ginger hair. As we were absolutely outclassed on the day, you had to laugh and Gary took it all in good humour. He even ended up getting a round of applause from them as he obliged with a wave after chants of, "Ginger, Ginger give us a wave."

Yeah he was a good honest pro who is now still having to graft to get by, like plenty on here. Reflection of the money in some parts of the game, then and now. Makes me laugh listening to GMR with experts Alan Gowling (2nd rate top flight) and Fred Eyre (3rd rate nobody on the pitch) as they're not exactly bursting with knowledge or style as analysts.

Not sure Gary would be suited to the media though, those stories are hardly after dinner class are they. Still each to their own.

Yeah he was a good honest pro who is now still having to graft to get by, like plenty on here. Reflection of the money in some parts of the game, then and now. Makes me laugh listening to GMR with experts Alan Gowling (2nd rate top flight) and Fred Eyre (3rd rate nobody on the pitch) as they're not exactly bursting with knowledge or style as analysts.

Not sure Gary would be suited to the media though, those stories are hardly after dinner class are they. Still each to their own.

OK how about Andy Gorton taking some muscle into the pub during a post match pint drink to batter Joe Royle? would that tale interest ya?

Or maybe you just had to be there with tales that perhaps I feel wouldn't be best imparted on an internet site. I mean you never know even ickle Oldham could have been implicated in 'bung gate' just like Harry? notice I said could amd maybe. So maybe not also.

Edited by Lags

Or maybe you just had to be there with tales that perhaps I feel wouldn't be best imparted on an internet site. I mean you never know even ickle Oldham could have been implicated in 'bung gate' just like Harry? notice I said could amd maybe. So maybe not also.

It was only a nod towards the irony of a tale of Andy Gorton going in a pub being better suited to 'The Andy Gorton Tap Room' than 'The Terraces'. :)