one very angry fan !

Yeah, agree with most of that but it doesn't stop me, or many others being totally against going to Failsworth. We've all got great memories - I don't count mine being more important than yours and vice versa. And we all know you did 6 months working there.................speaking of which I think you meant born and bred?

:lol:

A magnificent put-down my friend.

I wasn't trying to use my working for Latics as some sort of 'I know more than you' - apologies if that's how it came across - simply that from the inside, day in day out, you develop an appreciation for just how awful it is.

As part of the 92IB trip last year we, somewhat obviously, visited every ground and I'd place BP in the bottom 5 of the 92 League Clubs.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever else you said is totally undermined by the crap you spout.

Go do some research. Most of the calories in beer are from ALCOHOL. which is hardly surprising. A small amount are other carbs. Virtually none are fat. You must have missed that bit of medical training (although it was all in O level Biology) - are you actually qualified in any way?

Your post just goes to show how much crap is spouted on message boards by people who are all too willing to claim they know something about something when in fact they know jack all.

Judging by the time you posted this I would think you may have had one too many beers. What is alcohol? How is it stored in the body? OK so I'm technically wrong in that alcohol is the source of the calories and it is not fat but considering non-alcoholic beer has the same number of calories as alcoholic beer and vodka has 20-25% the number of calories of beer- the calories in beer don't come from the alcohol alone. I'm not qualified (yet) I have never claimed to be qualified (my user name is because a big Latics supporting mate of mine keeps introducing me to his mates as Dr (my first name), so some people can put 2 and 2 together and work out the connection- although in practice this doesn't actually happen). If you have gotten beyond GCSE biology you might know that alcohol is unusable calories (especially when consumed late at night) and when calories aren't useable as such they get stored in the body as fat via a highly complex process.

Also alcohol, which can't be stored in the body for energy, gets oxidised and a by-product of this oxidisation (NADH) then gets used in the synthesis of various fatty acids and lipid chains. These fatty acids and lipid chains competively inhibit the metabolism of other fats (i.e. the ones you eat), other by-products of this metabolic process include lactic acid (the stuff which makes your legs very wobbly when you hit the wall in marathon running) which is not a good thing to have running around in your body if you want to be healthy, especially if you are a professional athlete. Most of this process occurs in the liver and when excess lipids are produced in the liver the liver pushes some off into the bloodstream causing atherosclerosis (clogging up of the arteries) which has its own consequences.

So well done you managed to prove things are not that simple and that a load of stuff taught at GCSE (or O-level if you are around 38 or over) is much more complex than the basic level you get then. I'm not a physiologist, I'm a medic which means I've done a bit of physiology (and that was a while ago- so cheers you made me go look something up which I might need when I do my finals in a couple of months). I'm a big picture kind of person and do detail when it matters so yes the calories (which is nothing more than a unit of energy) in beer are from alcohol, not fat, I'll remember that minute detail now; but when it comes down to it in the body in terms of energy alcohol is fat. My post may show just how much crap is spouted on internet message boards (I'll be the first to admit I often post some nonsense) but your post shows how a little knowledge or the basic retention of a pub quiz fact can cause people to think they know a lot when they know very little.

:lol:

A magnificent put-down my friend.

I wasn't trying to use my working for Latics as some sort of 'I know more than you' - apologies if that's how it came across - simply that from the inside, day in day out, you develop an appreciation for just how awful it is.

As part of the 92IB trip last year we, somewhat obviously, visited every ground and I'd place BP in the bottom 5 of the 92 League Clubs.

I agree - it's a mess, and the ultimate decision of Failsworth or nowt is not one I want to comtemplate (got a feeling fate will intervene)

Speaking of the trip, and the photo, I presume the people on the pic are all contributors on here? Faces to names?

I agree - it's a mess, and the ultimate decision of Failsworth or nowt is not one I want to comtemplate (got a feeling fate will intervene)

Speaking of the trip, and the photo, I presume the people on the pic are all contributors on here? Faces to names?

Wardlelatic, Ackey, Tracy, Paul, Beardy, MarkOASIS, pdw, Simon

Tracy, Paul and Simon may have usernames on here - but I don't know them if they do.

The main difference between Failsworth & Saddleworth is the accent/culture. Failsworth is full of Mancs, your home grown Saddleworthonian talks like most from Oldham ( Buzz for Bus, Lurry for Lorry etc) and doesn't say Hiyoh (for Hiya) or keckle etc.

I know I'm being a bit facecious but does not having an Oldham accent mean you can't support Oldham? I don't have an Oldham accent, I don't have a Mancunian accent, many of the things I say have a distinctive Southern edge to them (my grass rhymes more with arse than ass), living amongst the North Easterners doesn't help me retain the weird accent I had at 17 (probably the same for a lot of the exiles) and I don't have a clue what a keckle is.

I'm still unsure what all the fuss is about the location of Failsworth and whether it has more links to Oldham, especially if you compare it to some other boundary parts of Oldham e.g. Saddleworth, or whether it has more links to Manchester. This is probably because I don't class myself as ever having really come from Oldham. The powers that be have decided that its in the best interests of the football club to move to Failsworth, I'm not particularly for or against the move to Failsworth I want what's best for the club.

All this talk of I'm not going to Failsworth because it is in Manchester or it isn't in Oldham, strikes me a bit like this is a local club for local people we'll have none of your kind here. Its just a :censored: pity then than very few of the local people actually bother supporting their local team and would much rather support the team a couple of miles down the road who are much bigger. The owners are from London, they don't care whether Failsworth is in Manchester or Oldham the same way that we don't care that Chelsea's ground is in Fulham and Fulham's ground is in Putney, they want what is best for a combination of themselves and the club.

My brother came to the Walsall game the other week. I made some comment about it being a bit of a comedown for him after years of having a season ticket for Anfield. His back-handed compliment of a reply was "No, i really like coming to your ground, it reminds me of when i was a kid and my dad used to take me to non-league games." :(

We've all got happy memories of Boundary Park, and Failsworth isn't anyone's first choice location for the new ground, but what's the alternative? Wait indefinitely for the property market to recover enough for the redevelopment of BP to become viable, or for another location to become available,while the attendances keep falling through the floor? I honestly think that once we've been at the new ground for a couple of years, no-one will care what the postcode is, or whether some of the locals consider themselves to be mancs (let's face it, a fair few people in Oldham - not just Failsworth - call themselves that).

but what's the alternative?

Maybe Oldham Arena was just a dream... You are all being micro managed and controlled by a combination of aggression and half truths (talk about the economy + comments about BP being beyond salvation).... By the time the legal battles have ended over Failsworth I would be surprised if the land at BP is not heading back to its original value...

I am for Failsworth now but there is always another path....

Edited by oafc0000

Also alcohol, which can't be stored in the body for energy, gets oxidised and a by-product of this oxidisation (NADH) then gets used in the synthesis of various fatty acids and lipid chains. These fatty acids and lipid chains competively inhibit the metabolism of other fats (i.e. the ones you eat), other by-products of this metabolic process include lactic acid (the stuff which makes your legs very wobbly when you hit the wall in marathon running) which is not a good thing to have running around in your body if you want to be healthy, especially if you are a professional athlete.

Wrong again Doc! :wink:

Maybe Oldham Arena was just a dream... You are all being micro managed and controlled by a combination of aggression and half truths (talk about the economy + comments about BP being beyond salvation).... By the time the legal battles have ended over Failsworth I would be surprised if the land at BP is not heading back to its original value...

I am for Failsworth now but there is always another path....

If the BP land recovers it's 'value' anytime soon it will be merely the result of inflation.

Wrong again Doc! :wink:

Yeah, I've always been told the build up of lactic is what gives you the "pump up" on your muscles when on the weights. Well, that what happens to me anyroad. The muscle soreness happens after the acid is dissispated after training, that's when I take a shake or some cherryactive. I might be wrong, but that's what I've been told.

Yeah, I've always been told the build up of lactic is what gives you the "pump up" on your muscles when on the weights. Well, that what happens to me anyroad. The muscle soreness happens after the acid is dissispated after training, that's when I take a shake or some cherryactive. I might be wrong, but that's what I've been told.

It's 10 years since I did it at A-level P.E but, as far as I can recall, all excercise related muscle pain is due to damaged muscle fibres. As muscles develop on the basis of being damaged and repairing this explains the saying 'no pain no gain'. Whilst lactate (not lactic acid) does build up this is actually beneficial and doesn't cause the pain.

The only reason I (sort of) remember this is because the lactic acid explanation is such a popular and common misconception.

Edit: Lactic Link

Edited by Stitch_KTF

It's 10 years since I did it at A-level P.E but, as far as I can recall, all excercise related muscle pain is due to damaged muscle fibres. As muscles develop on the basis of being damaged and repairing this explains the saying 'no pain no gain'. Whilst lactate (not lactic acid) does build up this is actually beneficial and doesn't cause the pain.

The only reason I (sort of) remember this is because the lactic acid explanation is such a popular and common misconception.

Edit: Lactic Link

Well there you go, cheers for that. I'm not too well up on terminology, I feel a physical reaction during or after a session and I get advised to take such-and-such for it. It works for me! :grin:

Well there you go, cheers for that. I'm not too well up on terminology, I feel a physical reaction during or after a session and I get advised to take such-and-such for it. It works for me! :grin:

Fair enough - just be aware that that final, near impossible repetition is probably worth as much as all the ones that came before it. This is why I always ensure that my gritty determination comes to the fore for press-up number 10. :lol:

Fair enough - just be aware that that final, near impossible repetition is probably worth as much as all the ones that came before it. This is why I always ensure that my gritty determination comes to the fore for press-up number 10. :lol:

Push for the "Last Rep Depth"...

I know I'm being a bit facecious but does not having an Oldham accent mean you can't support Oldham? I don't have an Oldham accent, I don't have a Mancunian accent, many of the things I say have a distinctive Southern edge to them (my grass rhymes more with arse than ass), living amongst the North Easterners doesn't help me retain the weird accent I had at 17 (probably the same for a lot of the exiles) and I don't have a clue what a keckle is.

I'm still unsure what all the fuss is about the location of Failsworth and whether it has more links to Oldham, especially if you compare it to some other boundary parts of Oldham e.g. Saddleworth, or whether it has more links to Manchester. This is probably because I don't class myself as ever having really come from Oldham. The powers that be have decided that its in the best interests of the football club to move to Failsworth, I'm not particularly for or against the move to Failsworth I want what's best for the club.

All this talk of I'm not going to Failsworth because it is in Manchester or it isn't in Oldham, strikes me a bit like this is a local club for local people we'll have none of your kind here. Its just a :censored: pity then than very few of the local people actually bother supporting their local team and would much rather support the team a couple of miles down the road who are much bigger. The owners are from London, they don't care whether Failsworth is in Manchester or Oldham the same way that we don't care that Chelsea's ground is in Fulham and Fulham's ground is in Putney, they want what is best for a combination of themselves and the club.

+1 - Good Post

Some fair points well put - but I haven't tried to say anything apart from that in my opinion Latics in Failsworth doesn't feel right, it's full of Mancs. As I've also said if it's Failsworth or nothing then that really is a tough one, I really do think fate will intervene, again.

You're right about the combination of themselves & the club, but what is the %age??

OLDHAM isn't in LANCASHIRE any longer as the boundries changed....................It's in GREATER MANCHESTER and has been for a good while!

That put aside I think the club should stay at Boundary Park no matter what and redevelope it as and when the funds become available or when a new investor is found, The main reason for this is OAFC belongs there and everything the club stands for including all those glory days have been played out on the hallowed land.

As some have said it's no use having a fancy stadium if its bad on the pitch, better to put that right first then by getting the right players in to get the desired results even if its not that pretty, then the town will be more inclined to back the club and pay their hard earned every Home game which will increase the coffers.

Looking at this season its crucial the club stay in League 1 and that's the first priority, dropping down to League 2 would be disasterous and could even spell the total end of everything!

OLDHAM isn't in LANCASHIRE any longer as the boundries changed....................It's in GREATER MANCHESTER and has been for a good while!

I think it's actually in both - Greater Manchester and Lancashire aren't direct equivalents. Diego will surely come along and explain. Not that it matters of course. :)

Now, the main reason for my response. Where can I find that hilarious picture that you used to have as your avatar?

I think it's actually in both - Greater Manchester and Lancashire aren't direct equivalents. Diego will surely come along and explain. Not that it matters of course. :)

Now, the main reason for my response. Where can I find that hilarious picture that you used to have as your avatar?

I have this with my dad who lives in Littlemoor, He insists it's Lancashire on any mail sent to him and asks that I address it this way but I always get the same remarks aimed at me every time I hand it over to the post master. asking WHY? I have put Oldham in the county of Lancashire :lol:

As for the avatar its a club one but I should use an old crusty version of my own I guess because it was in 1974 when I got my first taste of OAFC, How it's changed but it will always stay with me that my home town club brought me many happy times and will do as long as it remains alive.

I have this with my dad who lives in Littlemoor, He insists it's Lancashire on any mail sent to him and asks that I address it this way but I always get the same remarks aimed at me every time I hand it over to the post master. asking WHY? I have put Oldham in the county of Lancashire :lol:

As for the avatar its a club one but I should use an old crusty version of my own I guess because it was in 1974 when I got my first taste of OAFC, How it's changed but it will always stay with me that my home town club brought me many happy times and will do as long as it remains alive.

What on earth is a 'post master'? :unsure:

I meant your old avatar mate - weren't you the one with the photo of the 2 scruffy lads with no teeth and what not? Used to make me chuckle...

Some fair points well put - but I haven't tried to say anything apart from that in my opinion Latics in Failsworth doesn't feel right, it's full of Mancs. As I've also said if it's Failsworth or nothing then that really is a tough one, I really do think fate will intervene, again.

You're right about the combination of themselves & the club, but what is the %age??

I live near to the centre of Oldham and that is also full of mancs aswell though!

I live near to the centre of Oldham and that is also full of mancs aswell though!

I know, its not good lol. I worked there for 5 years some time ago, I like the place, my best man came from Gorton, I shop and sometimes drink/eat in the city , great place. I enjoy the banter etc

However............ I'd like my team, OAFC to be in Oldham, an Oldham that feels like Oldham. it's a personal thing that obviously means more to some than others. There's no right & wrong, think I've said enough.

Why do we have to keep going over this?

Oldham MBC is in the historical county of Lancashire.

In 1974, for local government admin purposes, it was placed in Greater Manchester County. It was still in the historic county of Lancs. GM Council no longer exists.

Failsworth Urban District Council, like Crompton, Royton, Lees, Chadderton UDCs were also in Lancashire historic county and remain so. In 1974 these towns became part of Oldham MBC. Until then they were never part of Oldham.

Edited by LaticsPete

My name is Sean, it can also be spelled Shaun Shawn Shaune Shauwn and Fred,

My point is I dont care about technicalities, the important thing is they are talking to me,

Again if you look thjrough books, documentation, cook books whatever, each will argue a case of where failsworth is, but as long as its a new stadium shouldnt that be all that matters?