FAO Oldham Athletic Board and Simon Corney

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait to hear which manager you've been told is signing with the club to replace Penney!

Nothing to fear about Saturday, just a day like all the other six

I wonder if Mark Hughes fancies a 'Royle like' stint at the club until the end of the season? Or Gary Megson, Gareth Southgate?

Thinks to himself...if I started a rumour.... :petesake:

What has gone wrong at our club? How do we find ourselves in the bottom four of a terrible division? How can we go from challenging for promotion under Shez to the realistic possibility of dropping into League Two and obscurity?

It sickens me to see that the Lashers who were an equal if not lesser club to us three years ago challenging for the play-offs whilst we are infighting and bickering about survival in this woeful League.

The TTA have to shoulder some of the blame, other than Shez their managerial appointments have been awful, in fact I said after Shez got the bullet that it was a mistake and the appointment of Dave Penney still leaves me perplexed.

In the car back from last night’s abject performance, we got on to the subject of the disastrous managerial appointments made by our saviours, BRIAN TALBOT who was never going to succeed given his style of football and approach to the faithful was appointed after Steve McMahon didn’t leave the Lashers, Ronnie Moore enough said about him and more recently Talbot.

I understand that Penney is one of the top earners on the football side of the business at Boundary Park and I am sure it will cost a small fortune to get rid, but the TTA have to act NOW otherwise with all the will in the world we will go down and season ticket sales will be rock bottom, we are spiralling into oblivion and something needs to be done to stop the rot (a famous saying of yester year)

I know that Mr Corney regularly reads this forum and I would urge him to place Mr Penney and his coaching staff and dour tactics on gardening leave and bring in a young hungry manager who is desperate to succeed, I am sure Bill Urmson and co would jump at the chance to save this club from the drop.

Penney out

Jesus what a long post! ha

what are you on about?? im not saying i would rarther be 4th in league 2 im just pointing out what another good job he is doing... oh wait, read my post

Chesterfield have not been promoted yet.....

Would you say that if they were stuck in that division?

He's got a bigger budget than most in that Division too...

with penney as boss we are going down we need to bin this guy end off.

I fear saturday badly

How many points were you expecting/prepared to give Dave Penney for the follwoing games

Colchester

Leeds

Norwich

You know, the ones gunning for an autos spot.

I know that Mr Corney regularly reads this forum and I would urge him to place Mr Penney and his coaching staff and dour tactics on gardening leave and bring in a young hungry manager who is desperate to succeed, I am sure Bill Urmson and co would jump at the chance to save this club from the drop.

Penney out

Jesus what a long post! ha

Bill Urmson

young and hungry

:blink:

When are you lot going to wake up and smell the coffee? I dont fancy us in any of those games. Penney out now before its too late!

It's getting to the stage now where a new man wouldn't have time to change things around.I really do worry for us though under penney unless he changes the teams outlook, we need to pop our heads out of the trenches and have a bloody go!!

When are you lot going to wake up and smell the coffee? I dont fancy us in any of those games!

That's the worry for me; those who have said forget about these 3 games; its all about the next 5 games........

What exactly makes you think that with the way we play; the tactics and mentality set out by the manager and also the poor form of a large number of the players; that we are automatically going to get results from these games?

Orient, Brighton; hell even Exeter, Wycombe and Stockport will be looking at their upcoming fixtures; and they will be ear marking us as a game where they can pick up 3 points. From their poit of view we are a bottom 4 team who's tactics mean that if they go 1 up there is every chance they will get something.

Heart says (and wishes) that we can take 12-15 from the next 5 games and that'll see us right but the head says that with current form & attitudes; we'll be lucky to get 3 (stockport; surely??)

We're in the s^*t makes no bones about it and i don't see that with cuurent trends followed we'll get out of it.

Edited by slystallone

Unless we are top of the league and playing well no manager will get the time to do anything here from the fans. Shez did a great job here Moore wasn't far off. Talbot was shocking and Penney is going the same way.

For me it's unacceptable for a manager take us where we are right now. If we are still where we are now after the Brighton game Penney has to go. I didn't expect us to take much against Colchester, Leeds and Norwich. I at least expected a fight at all 3 though. Anything at Norwich will be a bonus.

After Norwich though Penney has 5 games against teams around us, if we can't get some wins out of them we have a nice 10 day gap to the next game to bring another manager in.

Sacking a manager who had us in the top 6 all season, and subsequently shipping out the divisions most talented striker, was an entirely different kettle of fish to the near emergency situation we now find ourselves in today.

Not too much. It just meant we couldn't go down as we'd accumilated enough points by the time of the sacking. What happened after was relegation form. Why would this time be any different.

I am not going to come on here and state what I want the owners to do or how I rate Dave Penney.

I will however just say this, the average number of league games each season that I attended over the past 5 years Home and away was 38.

This season I have been to 10! and it isn't because of the credit crunch!

That figure includes the JPT and one cup game and I don’t see it increasing.

I am no longer interested in offering my financial support or time to a club who’s main objectives and targets are set off the playing field and don’t concern footballing matters or an ‘on the pitch product‘.

The only passion shown in an around Oldham Athletic these days is aimed at the council and the residents of failsworth little attention in my opinion is being paid to the ‘crisis’ which is unravelling on the pitch and the obvious decisions that need to be made to rectify it.

Not too much. It just meant we couldn't go down as we'd accumilated enough points by the time of the sacking. What happened after was relegation form. Why would this time be any different.

I know from reading a large percentage of your 3000+ posts that you don't need me to explain that to you. ^_^

Maybe this time would just be the same, in terms of a turn-around in form? :lol:

Chesterfield have not been promoted yet.....

Would you say that if they were stuck in that division?

He's got a bigger budget than most in that Division too...

but there not fighting relegation are they??

all im saying is that sheridan was up there penny isnt..simple as that..the football is sh**

ooooo were going leeds were going to get beat we wasnt saying that the last couple of seasons when we had a good manager who played good football...f off penny your sh**

ppl say let him do it in the next 5games, i say lets do it all season just like shez did, were feared no one not even everton wolves leeds leicester even gave burnley a run for there money in the two cup games...the 3nil score doesnt reflect the way we played

We lost to one of the best teams in the league... :blink: . As a struggling league one team (which is what we are), the most we could have hoped for was a draw at a push tonight.

I take it you weren’t there mate!

We were awful. Leeds were poor, you can see why they had only won once in eight league games before last night.

We’re not expected to be able to beat teams like Leeds week in week out. All I ask for is that we try. Under Sheridan we went there and took the game to them. Last night we were time wasting after 9 minutes. We didn’t threaten them at all. We turned up hoping for a draw. We never moved the ball forward. The tactics seemed to be for us to try and be as compact as possible.

I’m really getting fed up of this. The Official site says we played well first half. We didn’t. Taylor had a few good runs early on and then got booked and didn’t want to know. Nothing got played down the other wing or through the middle. The strikers held the ball up okay but were too slow to do anything.

Dean Brill was appalling last night. I know people stick up for him but to see Gregan and Hazell play so well to be let down by a parry straight into the only area there were Leeds players from a very tame shot must be heartbreaking for them. Brill spilled a ball early on too from a shot that was straight at him that we were lucky not to concede from.

The players Penney has brought in are inferior to what we had before. The tactics are woeful. The excuses after every game are tiresome.

I see no light at the end of this tunnel. We’re a shadow of the team we were under Sheridan. I’d love to say that the wheels were coming off but they’ve never been on. My Leeds United following colleagues that were there last night couldn’t believe that we were the same team that has torn them apart the last two seasons at Elland Road.

I suppose it is a good result against the team in second in the league – bore off it was a :censored:e result and we thoroughly deserved it

get rid of penney, pay up his wage, get someone else in, he loses any matches at all then get rid of him pay up his wage, get someone else in, you dont do well within half a season and you should go? despite injuries, not much funds (yes same as shez funds but its a harder league) and a lot of unluckyness?

ye right lads

I know from reading a large percentage of your 3000+ posts that you don't need me to explain that to you. ^_^

Maybe this time would just be the same, in terms of a turn-around in form? :lol:

The one thing I am certain of, is that if we had kept Shez, he would have turfed out most of the team anyway.

We had to due to economic circumstances, but many of them let him down, the contracts were up, we were all clamouring to get rid of the deadwood.

Even he would have struggled this season, but would have had the benefit in reserve.

Dave Penney has not had that, built a team from scratch (we will nevner know but I am sure shez would have struggled too).

I am sure he knows who to replace come the summer.

He inevitably had some panic buys, some of the players he worked with in the past have not worked.

The time to really see would be December, though.

Saying all that, if we do go down it would be catastrophic. It seems that Penney would have to go, even my heart says that. But my head says Penney might be better placed to get us back up again-purely given his CV. Whether he can at Oldham is another matter.

...and it all makes for interesting debate. I'm not an advocate of switching managers after a short period of time so I won't hook on the Penney out bait.

Sheridan is a bloody good coach. Not the best manager in the business, nobody says that he is - but at Oldham we saw him orchestrate some really good football. The problems that happened in the background and behind the scenes in the latter stages of his reign I think can be attributed to poor management on Corney's behalf. He's the one who must sanction the requests of the manager, he's the one who ultimately managed Sheridan. If Corney had set his stall out and explained to Sheridan the as team Manager, he must re-inforce the standards expected as outlined by Corney himself, the team may well have been more motivated and manageable.

I got the impression that Corney turned a blind eye to the whole situation, a situation that got out of hand and Sheridan couldn't control. So what did Corney do? Well, instead of supporting the Team Manager and laying down the law he bowed to public pressure and took the path of least resistance, hoping to stay onside with the fans by appointing Royle within hours. Which was a master stroke for Corney's popularity when you look at the gate against Tranmere last season.

For me the problem lies much higher up in the structure.

Some good points there, forgive me if I don't blow smoke up your arse like some others have done!

I think the relationship between the two, as you've alluded to is vital. Especially as this was Shez's first proper job as a Manager. He still made some poor decisions but again seemed to improve. The big issue is choice of players and who had the final say on transfers, loans ins and outs etc.....

If we win our 3 games in hand we can go up to 13th, which is where shez led us to,

only he had a bad second half of the season as opposed to the first,

half a season is way too early for the axe to be swung around,

you want instant results? find a sheikh to take over the club and spend, only way its going to happen

As a latic fan just come back from the leeds game can you lot end this pain for oldham and please please sack Dave Penney and bring in a manager till the end of the season or get someone in to help clueless Penney.

I am upset tonight and this is the worst oldham side i have seen.

I went aswell, although i came away with a different attitude to you. What makes him clueless? The fact he saw that the game was gone.. so he thought he would rest his key men instead of letting them chase the ball on a heavy pitch for a lost cause? We got outplayed, thats not all Penney's fault, we dont have the same resources that Leeds have, they had Mcsheffrey, Gradel, Kilkenny, Johnson, Bromby on the bench.. all of whom would walk into our team but we cant afford them, let alone pay them to sit on the bench!! Were not a big club anymore, were a small club, with 3000 fans and a manager doing his best with what hes got, and if we got someone else in, he would have to do his best with what hes got, minus a big pay off for Penney. Maybe you should get your head around that, or maybe i should go and stand at the back and sing "you dont know what ur doin" everytime we make a substitution. Until one of us makes a change i dont think we will agree.

All the best x