Visit to look at the accounts

Forgot to ask chaps, was there much on Failsworth on planned extra business, projections from 3g ptiches etc?

In a word, no. It was never really a core part of what was originally offered and given the uncertainty about where the scheme stands and with nothing sorted about the partners who may or may not come on board there wouldn't have been a lot to report back on, so we used the limited time to focus on current matters. Perhaps there may be an opportunity to talk about future plans when they are becoming clearer, but that's for the future.

We stayed on for a little while for an informal chat with Simon afterwards and Simon Blitz joined us for part. Without us having any numbers to hand they were optimistic that the reduced overheads and improved regular matchday facilities would go all or a fair part of the way towards putting the club on the level financially. They were also hopeful that Marketing Guy would help increase the revenue of the club in coming years through various initiatives. As I say we have no numbers to validate this specifically and I just report here on the discussions we had.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you will be aware from previous threads on here...

Thanks for going lads but, for me, there's been a distinct lack of scepticism in this thread.

To paraphrase a couple of lads who used to sit behind us in the Chaddy End: "You'll happy clap sh*t dry you lot"...

Thanks for going lads but, for me, there's been a distinct lack of scepticism in this thread.

To paraphrase a couple of lads who used to sit behind us in the Chaddy End: "You'll happy clap sh*t dry you lot"...

We expected far more scepticism to be honest. We left with the invitation to contact the club regarding areas where we would like further detail, so throw them out there! Obviously it would be maybe a weeks work for a couple of auditors to go from top to bottom, which we weren't able to do, but we (Mark especially) have an understanding of what will already have been independently audited at detail level.

Of course going over books is an historical study, and can't tell you what will happen in the future, I hope we haven't given any impression that we were saying any more than we were able to! We gave our understanding of the finances to date, it's for everyone to make of them what they will.

On the questions raised so far, here are a few brief responses:

I was particularly interested in wage bills - it would have been beneficial to have a seasonal breakdown, or some monthly figures, or a 2010 forecast though.

Shouldn't the highlighted bit have been 08/09? :unsure:

We didn't have access to a seasonal breakdown of wages but they appear to have been stable now for two and a half years so I doubt there would be much monthly variation.

Yes, the work on the Lookers would have been required in 08/09, not 09/10.

Do you know who actually owns the ground then? The owners or a holding company and did they say anything about why its not owned by OAFC 2004 Ltd?

I think this has already been answered, but this was not something we got into in our meeting. It is on public record, however, that the ground is owned by Brass Bank Ltd.

one point i did pick up on,is that at the time didnt they say they knocked down the broadway stand as it was costing 475k to maintain....or should they have said it was costing 475k to maintain the whole ground....as the figures you quoted are about 87k to maintain the one stand.

I don't know where the figure of £475 comes in but it can't relate to the maintenance of the one stand alone.

Could you ask Alan whether the player's salaries drop should the club be relegated, I would hope that the club would use commonsense and have a figure based on League One because you can bet your bottom dollar the players have an increase in the event of promotion!

I don't want to appear to be Mr Doom and Gloom, but surely with a playing wage bill of £1.6million we should be performing slightly better in the League table and would be doing if he was shown the door!

That's a good question regarding wages if we went down. I do not have an answer but I'm happy to follow it up. I would imagine that all contracts will include clauses reducing wages if we are playing in a lower division as I believe that this is usual practice at most clubs.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I assume that the figures for wages should include non-playing staff, reserves, management and other such?

The £1.6m relates to playing staff, including reserves (but excluding youth team), but doesn't relate to non-playing staff.

I hope this helps.

from my heart.

we're all on the same side.

we are latics fans though family, friend or stupidity.

but,we are together,as one.

we were here way before TTA turned up...some of us saw the crap in the 60's(thank buggery i was only 5 !!)

but i personally refuse to hear one side without any questions...WITH BACKED UP ANSWERS AND ACTIONS.

remember moore...no one questioned him then ....pop...or should that be POPX10000

if everyone is happy to nod their heads then great..but i won't...UNTIL i am 100 % satisfied.NO FU*KING WAY.

i may be awkward or whatever,but the feeling of me and many many others here meeting for the first time that :censored:ty sunday morning in the rain in serious situations,begging people to help,put in a poster in their window for the benifit game etc etc.. is'nt what i fancy all over again.

i may have been there,but this t-shirt is worn out.

hey ..i WANNA be wrong...oh yes i do..

but whatever TTA do regarding the club,now,today,tomorrow,whenever, affects us,and our kids.

it has to be 1000% right. for the club.for the town .for the future.

if i'm wrong,great stuff!!!you buggers who know me have a beer from me...

until then.

keep asking questions.

do NOT accept what you are told without being satisfied.

stay happy! B)

Its great what TTA have done but does everyone realise you can obtain a copy of every ltd company's accounts from companies house...sometimes there'll be creative accounting tho and it'd take a director to explain everything.

Due to the size of Oldham Athletic, it only files abbreviated accounts at Companies House. These, for example, include one number for turnover and one number for cost of sales. The benefit of the meeting on Tuesday was that we were provided with a detailed trading P&L, thus providing much more information on the actual income and expenditure of the club. We were also able to ask questions of not only the directors, but the club accountant, thus clearing up any lines that were not entirely clear (eg.the playing staff wage element of 'football costs'

Could you ask Alan whether the player's salaries drop should the club be relegated, I would hope that the club would use commonsense and have a figure based on League One because you can bet your bottom dollar the players have an increase in the event of promotion!

I don't want to appear to be Mr Doom and Gloom, but surely with a playing wage bill of £1.6million we should be performing slightly better in the League table and would be doing if he was shown the door!

I have just spoken to Alan and I can confirm that players contracts of more than 1 year all include a 25% wage reduction if the club is relegated. There is a 25% uplift if we went up.

a 25% wage reduction if the club is relegated.

You can just picture the players getting in their cars after the defeat that sends us down, and immediately ringing their agents; "Quick, put my name about - I don't fancy being here next season on 25% less"

We can't get the buggers to play for their money at the moment, God help us when we strip them of 25%.

Reason for edit: That's not how you spell 'ringing'

Edited by outoftheblue

I have just spoken to Alan and I can confirm that players contracts of more than 1 year all include a 25% wage reduction if the club is relegated. There is a 25% uplift if we went up.

Thank you for that. I don' think I have ever seen what the general level is.

I know there should be healthy sceptism, JP carry on,but the generosity of info should never be underestimated and helps significantly reduce the chance of a Moore. Never say never, but I urge us to accept that TTA are not made of the same cloth.

JP perhaps it is best explaine by you keeping an ever present and constant vigil rather than assuming the TTA are out to rip us off from the outset and at every opportunity.

You can just picture the players getting in their cars after the defeat that sends us down, and immediately ringing their agents; "Quick, put my name about - I don't fancy being here next season on 25% less"

We can't get the buggers to play for their money at the moment, God help us when we strip them of 25%.

Reason for edit: That's not how you spell 'ringing'

You'd have a problem with this lot leaving?

You'd have a problem with this lot leaving?

Christ, no.

Just pointing out that players these days don't give a toss about honouring their contracts. They'd jump ship at the drop of a hat.

This lot wouldn't get us back up if we got relegated, that's for sure. That's why relegation has to be avoided - we'd end up a mid-table league two outfit at best, with crowds around 2500.

The players’ wage bill in 2009 is in line with 2008, at approx £1.6m. The cost of loan players for the season, included within this figure, is approximately £150k plus significant costs of providing accommodation for them.

We didn't have access to a seasonal breakdown of wages but they appear to have been stable now for two and a half years so I doubt there would be much monthly variation.

Thanks Latics & England.

So, I wonder how long until boundaryblue80 next pops up and slams Shez for blowing all the cash during his first two seasons as manager, or whatever.

I don't suppose anybody ever made the counter-suggestion that Shez was actually a fairly astute squad builder and a bloody good Latics manager in terms of results and entertainment in relation to budget, did they?

If so, maybe they should, erm..............put some quotes in their signaure in an effort to.....belittle or indeed highlight how brilliant Gregan, Sheridan's marquee signing, still is. 'LOL'.

:laught16::laught16::laught16::laught16::laught16::laught16::laught16: :laught16:

:detectivegm0:

I don't suppose anybody ever made the counter-suggestion that Shez was actually a fairly astute squad builder and a bloody good Latics manager in terms of results and entertainment in relation to budget, did they?

We was not all for sacking shez... Well not with nine games to go anyway :)

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=232729

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=241433

I notice a few names people on that list who now say they where never for sacking shez :lol:

The two reasons to sack shez which where pushed was

1, to save the season - How many games did we win after shez went ?

2, to build for next season - What position are we in ?

Epic fail...

Come the summer I was prepared to review everything and was edging on the side of possibly saying we need a change but we should of took that time to reflect after he had been given a full season. Three promotions pushes should of earnt him that at least.

Some of the posters who would not give shez that are now saying DP deserves that while we face relegation in the face. It does go to show just how pointless the fans opinions are and how much they should be listened to. Generally speaking...

Edited by oafc0000

Well done guys much appreciated for giving up your time for the club and the fans!

Why are soo many people obssesed with the cartering costs? <_<

Did they say how much money would be made available to keep us in league one? And what it would be spent on?

from my heart.

we're all on the same side.

we are latics fans though family, friend or stupidity.

but,we are together,as one.

we were here way before TTA turned up...some of us saw the crap in the 60's(thank buggery i was only 5 !!)

but i personally refuse to hear one side without any questions...WITH BACKED UP ANSWERS AND ACTIONS.

remember moore...no one questioned him then ....pop...or should that be POPX10000

if everyone is happy to nod their heads then great..but i won't...UNTIL i am 100 % satisfied.NO FU*KING WAY.

i may be awkward or whatever,but the feeling of me and many many others here meeting for the first time that :censored:ty sunday morning in the rain in serious situations,begging people to help,put in a poster in their window for the benifit game etc etc.. is'nt what i fancy all over again.

i may have been there,but this t-shirt is worn out.

hey ..i WANNA be wrong...oh yes i do..

but whatever TTA do regarding the club,now,today,tomorrow,whenever, affects us,and our kids.

it has to be 1000% right. for the club.for the town .for the future.

if i'm wrong,great stuff!!!you buggers who know me have a beer from me...

until then.

keep asking questions.

do NOT accept what you are told without being satisfied.

stay happy! B)

In all fairness JP, the whole point of going in to read the books was to ask questions.

We was not all for sacking shez... Well not with nine games to go anyway :)

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=232729

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=241433

I notice a few names people on that list who now say they where never for sacking shez

Three promotions pushes should of earnt him that at least.

Three pushes, three fails.

And I'll bet he fizzles out with Chesterfield too.