what is wrong with the people of oldham and the surrounding areas?

I really don't get what goes on in some small minded peoples minds.(blunt i know)

How many times have latics (and now roughyeds) put forward plans to regenerate the town? Everytime (with help of local press) there has been massive opposition. Whether it's local residents or charities or just general busy bodies, there's always somebody to oppose it. Now i'm not a rugby fan by any stretch of the imagination but i think it's time latics, rugby and ombc actually joined forces to create someting that after decades of failed promises from all parties, oldham can finally be proud of.

Whether that's at the failsworth site, bp or another site something needs to be done. Oldham on the whole is a sh!thole and needs some modern leisure facilities such as other simiar towns have done. I'm no ecinomical expert but i'm sure huddersfield is a nicer place to be than oldham and the galpharm and the surrounding facilities play a big part in that.

SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE. N ot only for the sake of the football club, or the rugby club but the borough as a whole!!!!!!!!!!!!

apologies for mis-type in title. lol :grin:

Edited by c.hill12

I really don't get what goes on in some small minded peoples minds.(blunt i know)

How many times have latics (and now roughyeds) put forward plans to regenerate the town? Everytime (with help of local press) there has been massive opposition. Whether it's local residents or charities or just general busy bodies, there's always somebody to oppose it. Now i'm not a rugby fan by any stretch of the imagination but i think it's time latics, rugby and ombc actually joined forces to create someting that after decades of failed promises from all parties, oldham can finally be proud of.

Whether that's at the failsworth site, bp or another site something needs to be done. Oldham on the whole is a sh!thole and needs some modern leisure facilities such as other simiar towns have done. I'm no ecinomical expert but i'm sure huddersfield is a nicer place to be than oldham and the galpharm and the surrounding facilities play a big part in that.

SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE. N ot only for the sake of the football club, or the rugby club but the borough as a whole!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree totally.

Some people would love us to stay in the dark ages.......it's getting pathetic now.

We need to move forward and provide some proper facilities for the people of oldham and surrounding areas to enjoy.

Lets look after the majority of folk for a change instead of these little pockets of small minded resistants.

Some people would love us to stay in the dark ages.......it's getting pathetic now.

We need to move forward and provide some proper facilities for the people of oldham and surrounding areas to enjoy.

Lets look after the majority of folk for a change instead of these little pockets of small minded resistants.

the council will soon be standing dead people up in bus shelters with bingo tickets in their hands.

exactly!!!!! let's move forward as a town. If than means get rugby on board to add weight to the argument then so be it but we have to act and we have to do it before both clubs die a very painstaking death. Surely the council has learned from the old oldham bears fiasco! we'd be improving the town for them aswell

exactly!!!!! let's move forward as a town. If than means get rugby on board to add weight to the argument then so be it but we have to act and we have to do it before both clubs die a very painstaking death. Surely the council has learned from the old oldham bears fiasco! we'd be improving the town for them aswell

the council need to back which ever scheme is put forward and back it 100%,and put positive spin on everything to do with it.nobody wants a sports club on its doorstep,but if it is done in a sympathetic design and low impact on locality residents it shouldnt be a problem.

if the council turned round and said to those residents directly involved in it,once its built we will knock £200 a year off ya council tax they would be cock-a-hoop and snatch there hands off.

it really is pathetic that if you want to watch a film you have to trek to pilsworth,rochdale,ashton,mcr or belle view,likewise with ten pin bowling and the like.

i walked round spindles centre today and half the shops are empty,i walked down the main street and you either have cheap pound shops empty shops,travel agents and mcdonalds....plus ruddy big holes everywhere where the gas board have dug up....the town is a complete disgrace from top to bottom

There is always opposition to every single new development, housing or leisure. What happens here is that the local media ramp it up and the local oiks are more educated and have access to the internet to drum up opposition.

What would be ideal would be if we have really talented councillors, coupled with good quality officers and they had a vision of a sports park on waste ground say, on the ex-BAe site, or Beal Lane or Fernet Fields etc. and then develop a multi-purpose stadium/s complex.

Why not stick it on Tommyfield and link it to the swimming stadium? It would breath new life into the town centre.

But we have fourth rate uneducated elected officials and officers who are not interested.

There is always opposition to every single new development, housing or leisure. What happens here is that the local media ramp it up and the local oiks are more educated and have access to the internet to drum up opposition.

What would be ideal would be if we have really talented councillors, coupled with good quality officers and they had a vision of a sports park on waste ground say, on the ex-BAe site, or Beal Lane or Fernet Fields etc. and then develop a multi-purpose stadium/s complex.

Why not stick it on Tommyfield and link it to the swimming stadium? It would breath new life into the town centre.

But we have fourth rate uneducated elected officials and officers who are not interested.

now that is a damn good idea! but is there enough land there? and would you get permission for a stadium in the town centre these days?

The 1 good thing is there would be no residents to please. But there would be businesses to relocate. and also the location for me would be perfect

Truth is, no matter what you propose someone somewhere will try and stop it, and as long as the council is involved with the plans, whoever the opposition is at the time will want to put a stop on it, purely because the other party backs it,

until we get decent leaders from councils who back regeneration instead of getting one up on each other were going to stay like we are

now that is a damn good idea! but is there enough land there? and would you get permission for a stadium in the town centre these days?

The 1 good thing is there would be no residents to please. But there would be businesses to relocate. and also the location for me would be perfect

Demolish the disgraceful Clegg Street warehouse and relocate Matalan and there would be plenty of land in a central position of the Borough for a new stadium, close to the Metrolink too.

Edited by BP1960

For a lot of people that live in the borough of Oldham the actual community doesn't exist anymore. Ok they go to the hospital,to school because they have to,given a choice of where to be entertained, relax,shop, watch sport and work it is just accepted that you have to go elsewhere. Sucessive councils have pandered to the whim of every grouping resulting in inertia and a slum. Latics and Roughyeds are just a by product of that malaise. There is a continual drift away, more and more residents with aspirations and desire for community spirit eventually move towards their jobs,shopping and entertainment leaving an ever increasing void. The council can't cope with one of the last bastions of such by gone spirit residing at the heart of the borough and so are shoving us in a corner near the Mancs.

One final point they have manged to achieve this and leave those remaining with the highest council tax in Greater Manchester.

What a joke,TTA must really enjoy a challenge.

For a lot of people that live in the borough of Oldham the actual community doesn't exist anymore. Ok they go to the hospital,to school because they have to,given a choice of where to be entertained, relax,shop, watch sport and work it is just accepted that you have to go elsewhere. Sucessive councils have pandered to the whim of every grouping resulting in inertia and a slum. Latics and Roughyeds are just a by product of that malaise. There is a continual drift away, more and more residents with aspirations and desire for community spirit eventually move towards their jobs,shopping and entertainment leaving an ever increasing void. The council can't cope with one of the last bastions of such by gone spirit residing at the heart of the borough and so are shoving us in a corner near the Mancs.

One final point they have manged to achieve this and leave those remaining with the highest council tax in Greater Manchester.

What a joke,TTA must really enjoy a challenge.

couldn't agree more, Oldham council are a joke.

Demolish the disgraceful Clegg Street warehouse and relocate Matalan and there would be plenty of land in a central position of the Borough for a new stadium, close to the Metrolink too.

this idea i touted about when the origonal plans to redevelope bp fell through. Was told it was to near to glodwick.

So we've moved from every man and his dog being convinced that whatever piece of farmland/wasteland/whatever meets their fancy is the ideal site, to imagining that we can knock down half of the town centre and stick a football ground there with no problems. Honestly.

So we've moved from every man and his dog being convinced that whatever piece of farmland/wasteland/whatever meets their fancy is the ideal site, to imagining that we can knock down half of the town centre and stick a football ground there with no problems. Honestly.

Warrington did it...

Ain't happening in Oldham though...

Warrington did it...

Ain't happening in Oldham though...

shame they have no vision at all really...the once proud and famous tommy field market is no more....the majority of stalls are asian fabric stalls or mobile phone accessories with the odd sock n undercrackers seller here and there....the indoor market is crap,full of tat and pretty much the same as outdoor market,but i doubt the area is big enough to build a stadium there,if the baths were relocated then maybe,that would be a hell of a piece of land,however i doubt it would get permission,would people really go to the centre on matchday with away fans milling around etc...

there was another piece of land in chadderton,on arkwright street,right next to werneth train station,but they have now built a new recycling centre there.

the only other piece of land decent sized other than the matalan site..is in chadderton where constellation luggage is,and the empty land behind the rifle range,but again the residents wouldnt be happy,but at least it would be in the shadow of bp

shame they have no vision at all really...the once proud and famous tommy field market is no more....the majority of stalls are asian fabric stalls or mobile phone accessories with the odd sock n undercrackers seller here and there....the indoor market is crap,full of tat and pretty much the same as outdoor market,but i doubt the area is big enough to build a stadium there,if the baths were relocated then maybe,that would be a hell of a piece of land,however i doubt it would get permission,would people really go to the centre on matchday with away fans milling around etc...

there was another piece of land in chadderton,on arkwright street,right next to werneth train station,but they have now built a new recycling centre there.

the only other piece of land decent sized other than the matalan site..is in chadderton where constellation luggage is,and the empty land behind the rifle range,but again the residents wouldnt be happy,but at least it would be in the shadow of bp

I'm not certain but I think it's fair to assume none of these areas come even vaguely close the the amount of land on offer at Failsworth...!?

i unfortunatly don't see failsworth coming off. I am in favour of the move. In an ideal world yes, bp would be redeveloped but we all know that can't happen now. I just hope if failsworth doesn't happen' something gets sorted. We need a new ground and facilities and FAST

can't see people being put off by couple of hundred southend and the like fans. And the big matches have always had away fans trapsing through the centre from mumps.