The Insurmountable Problem?

Here it is folks. The problem as I see it.

I consider myself a dedicated Latics fan. I will admit I'm not a season ticket holder. I've not been one since I became a student. However, I was brought up a Latics fan and I know no other love in football than Latics.

However tonight I chose a highly enjoyable evening in a Didsbury pub over Latics.

I spent less than the £20 ticket price on travel, beer and food. I got drunk to a light-hearted extent, I enjoyed a game of football between two of the best teams in Europe (although Porto's defenders did their best to disprove this) and then came second in a pub quiz in which I frankly think we were robbed! All for less than the aforementioned £20.

As an alternate I could have sat outside in the cold watching Latics beat Leyton Orient in a relegation dog fight at the bottom of England's third tier of football.

I love Latics, I really, really do. However until the sport (and this is distinctly addressed at the sport and not Latics) finds a way to address the gross unbalance between the have's and have-not's I don't see how our beloved game can survive.

I post this simply to highlight what I see as the most significant threat to the English game, perhaps the only real threat this sport has ever known, and to encourage debate on the matter.

That's it. I hope we see a solution before there's no problem left to solve, as I fear we're closing in on a time when (like the leagues on the continent) there will be a very limited two-tier structure to the English leagues.

That's it. A diatribe to some, I'm sure. Hopefully a call to arms for others.

G'night. Keep The Faith.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider myself a dedicated Latics fan. I will admit I'm not a season ticket holder. I've not been one since I became a student. However, I was brought up a Latics fan and I know no other love in football than Latics.

However tonight I chose a highly enjoyable evening in a Didsbury pub over Latics.

I spent less than the £20 ticket price on travel, beer and food. I got drunk to a light-hearted extent, I enjoyed a game of football between two of the best teams in Europe (although Porto's defenders did their best to disprove this) and then came second in a pub quiz in which I frankly think we were robbed! All for less than the aforementioned £20.

As an alternate I could have sat outside in the cold watching Latics beat Leyton Orient in a relegation dog fight at the bottom of England's third tier of football.

I love Latics, I really, really do. However until the sport (and this is distinctly addressed at the sport and not Latics) finds a way to address the gross unbalance between the have's and have-not's I don't see how our beloved game can survive.

I post this simply to highlight what I see as the most significant threat to the English game, perhaps the only real threat this sport has ever known, and to encourage debate on the matter.

That's it. I hope we see a solution before there's no problem left to solve, as I fear we're closing in on a time when (like the leagues on the continent) there will be a very limited two-tier structure to the English leagues.

G'night. Keep The Faith.

Should have been at BP with me and my 10 year old Ackey you'd have loved it! (Slight exaggeration here)

Got to agree with you on the have and have nots front though as me and my girl were up for the cottage Pie toinight and they had none! Gutted. Bet they had it in Didsbury though possibly 'Shepherds 'there or 'Casserole Provence'

Ackey, it will turn around, Get there on Saturday. KTF

G'night. Keep The Faith.

by heck your 20 went a long way!!

Ackey, it will turn around, Get there on Saturday. KTF

That's the problem. It's not a matter of faith to me. I love Latics. It's simply that a more fun alternate was available at a better price... which leads nicely on to...

by heck your 20 went a long way!!

£1.20 there and back on the bus from the city centre and £2.15 a pint in the pub... give or take that's 8 pints, Champions League football and a bus ride about the same as the one to BP.

I know I'm leaving myself open to the 'a real fan would...' argument, but I'm simply trying to highlight the problem. No matter what people think of my decision making or actions, I hope people see the greater argument.

yea we all know its overpriced and if i couldnt afford to go i wouldnt but i wouldnt choose to instead spend my dosh on the day of a match day going to watch one of the "haves" on tv. each to their own but surely peopling staying away from their local clubs to instead go out and watch the big clubs mean that they can demand so much money from tv rights etc and in turn causes lower league clubs to slowly but consitantly rise the prices. It's a vicious cycle.

I think in the future there will be a reduction of professional clubs maybe to two pro leagues and i intend to make the most of OAFC while its here and although its as expensive as ever and we dont play anywhere like the kind of football Arsenal and the like do id much rather spend my £20 getting into BP then watching the PL giants in the pub on matchday

Following Latics cannot be explained within any inteligent breakdown of reason. Actually going along season after season would dumb found the greatest of the great formula discoverers of our time. Simply don't look anywhere but in one's own heart.

That's the problem. It's not a matter of faith to me. I love Latics. It's simply that a more fun alternate was available at a better price... which leads nicely on to...

£1.20 there and back on the bus from the city centre and £2.15 a pint in the pub... give or take that's 8 pints, Champions League football and a bus ride about the same as the one to BP.

I know I'm leaving myself open to the 'a real fan would...' argument, but I'm simply trying to highlight the problem. No matter what people think of my decision making or actions, I hope people see the greater argument.

£2.15 for a pint in didsbury??? That all???

G'night. Keep The Faith.

As has been pointed out already - last night could have cost you a mere £10 - and then the same for two further home games.

That aside - your argument is one that merits discussion and ultimately is the reason that many choose not to go. We have a lot to learn from German football about value for money.

But.. the real, die-hard supporter would have been there no matter what - the win was very welcome - the performance long overdue.

As has been pointed out already - last night could have cost you a mere £10 - and then the same for two further home games.

That aside - your argument is one that merits discussion and ultimately is the reason that many choose not to go. We have a lot to learn from German football about value for money.

But.. the real, die-hard supporter would have been there no matter what - the win was very welcome - the performance long overdue.

Indeed.

The issue I'm attempting to bring into the debate is not that of the die-hards.

I think Lags hits it on the head though, with his 'inexplicable loyalty' point. Perhaps it's that simple and any/all attempts to change that in people are always going to be going against the wind, so to speak.

And, Carl - if you know what you're doing you can always get a cheap pint mate!

For adults £20 (plus extra expenses like travel, food and drink, programmes etc.) is an expensive way to spend some free time and many adults will always have other things to do than watch football live- even if its only watching football in a pub and many of those will be cheaper than watching Latics. £20 is a lot of money to watch 3rd tier football but so is £40 to watch Premiership (and more). However, compared to some other clubs in our league £20 is fairly cheap especially considering our ground is all seater and its all covered, and if you know what you are doing you can get in for £18, nevermind how cheap it is for season ticket holders.

However, £3 for under 12s is very cheap in my opinion, especially considering the price it is to go the cinema these days. In other threads people often moan about how few entertainment options there are in Oldham. I think we could capitalise on this and this is one of the reasons why knocking down the Lookers, with its juniors lounge, was probably not the best idea.

For adults £20 (plus extra expenses like travel, food and drink, programmes etc.) is an expensive way to spend some free time and many adults will always have other things to do than watch football live- even if its only watching football in a pub and many of those will be cheaper than watching Latics. £20 is a lot of money to watch 3rd tier football but so is £40 to watch Premiership (and more). However, compared to some other clubs in our league £20 is fairly cheap especially considering our ground is all seater and its all covered, and if you know what you are doing you can get in for £18, nevermind how cheap it is for season ticket holders.

However, £3 for under 12s is very cheap in my opinion, especially considering the price it is to go the cinema these days. In other threads people often moan about how few entertainment options there are in Oldham. I think we could capitalise on this and this is one of the reasons why knocking down the Lookers, with its juniors lounge, was probably not the best idea.

Ticket £20

Food £5

Drink £6

Travel £12 ( I suppose most don't face this much travel cost though)

Total £43

And that's if I don't bring the young un...

Its not exactly value for money is it...

Edited by oafc0000

I think its a fair discussion and I think its more about value over price. I think a lot of people (myself included) are not seeing any value in that matchday price at the moment. Prevously, if was able to get to a Latics game I would go without a second thought whereas now I just dont see it as an enjoyable experiance. I personally dont enjoy a matchday as much as I once did. I dont feel any less love for Latics as I once did and the current position in the league doesnt put me off going, i'm just dont feel any value in it any more.

For me the two main reasons are the loss of the Lookers stand (It just doesnt feel right sitting in any other stand) and the style of play. I think previously when we were more of an attacking side I would enjoy the game win, lose or draw where as now the enjoyment seems to only come when we win.

I think its a fair discussion and I think its more about value over price. I think a lot of people (myself included) are not seeing any value in that matchday price at the moment. Prevously, if was able to get to a Latics game I would go without a second thought whereas now I just dont see it as an enjoyable experiance. I personally dont enjoy a matchday as much as I once did. I dont feel any less love for Latics as I once did and the current position in the league doesnt put me off going, i'm just dont feel any value in it any more.

For me the two main reasons are the loss of the Lookers stand (It just doesnt feel right sitting in any other stand) and the style of play. I think previously when we were more of an attacking side I would enjoy the game win, lose or draw where as now the enjoyment seems to only come when we win.

You are 100% correct...

Even with all the :censored: that is going on at the moment the majority of stay aways could still afford to come. They aren't coming because its an awful day out, IMO. Some of the reasons are out of the clubs control as well. Just take a look at the "moaning / booing" thread. The fans want it like a day out at the cinema... When my dad brought me to the football all those years ago, it wasn't the football that got me hooked.

Edited by oafc0000

Ticket £20

Food £5

Drink £6

Travel £12 ( I suppose most don't face this much travel cost though)

Total £43

And that's if I don't bring the young un...

Its not exactly value for money is it...

i paid £20 last night,couldnt take advantage of the 3 for £30 offer as i work silly shifts.

took my son and my daughter last night,her first football game,spent £4 on way to ground on drinks n sweets,so i reckon it was just over £30 for me.

you can make it as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be..you dont have to spend £5 on food,and you dont have to spend £6 on drink,and i would of thought if you use public transport like buses n that you would already own a weekly or even a monthly ticket,so it saves on the £12 travel.

i know some people use the above reasons as excuses and also the product on the pitch etc..but if you truly want to go you go...if you dont you dont or find excuses...

i do think imho it is very over priced,but thats the going rate in this day and age....plus i got to see us win score 2 goals and play some very decent stuff....live football will always win the day over watching on tv or a pub...

you can make it as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be..you dont have to spend £5 on food,and you dont have to spend £6 on drink,and i would of thought if you use public transport like buses n that you would already own a weekly or even a monthly ticket,so it saves on the £12 travel.

The £12 was based on Trains and Busses... I don't drive...

If you take away the £5 food and the £6 beer... Do you know what I am left with... £20 for 90 mins of the most dire football in the most dire settings...

The £12 was based on Trains and Busses... I don't drive...

If you take away the £5 food and the £6 beer... Do you know what I am left with... £20 for 90 mins of the most dire football in the most dire settings...

thats fine then

you have already nailed ya flag to to the flag pole.

but last night wasnt dire...the surroundings i will give you,in need of a spruce up all round...like i said i paid £20 and was more than happy...

Yes and I reckon its not worth it. So I don't bother. The whole of football is overpriced for what it is and what you get out of it..

ohhhhhhhhh...bit of you time...able to vent ya spleen at thr ref n linesmen for making :censored: decisions....having a laff n joke with ya mates whilst at the game....if we win you get that good feeling inside knowing your team played well and the points were won and earned.....

ohhhhhhhhh...bit of you time...able to vent ya spleen at thr ref n linesmen for making :censored: decisions....having a laff n joke with ya mates whilst at the game....if we win you get that good feeling inside knowing your team played well and the points were won and earned.....

Suppose that is one of the problems for me... None of my mates want to go anymore...

No offence fella but a Third Division game involving two poor teams like us and Orient can only be dire... Your standards may of dropped...

you wasnt there so you wouldnt know

we played some decent stuff at times...some really good attacking flowing football with players over lapping putting in the effort backing each other up.

there was some dodgy moments as always...but thats part n parcel of the game and the team....we cant play like a premier league team for 90 mins every game....

and thats part of the problem,too many people expecting premier league standards instead of accepting it for what it is....