Alan Groves article in this months 442

Alan was mates of everybodys dad, and thats no exageration.

he was a close friend of my cousin too , and his wife debbie was and still is a close friend of my cousin today and in fact it was grovesy and chappy (les chapman ) who started me off watching latics back in 1974 ,and i still have a blue and tangerine oldham scarf that grovesy gave me from his shop

For anyone thats interested theres an article about Alan Groves in 442 calling him the maddest (and possibly best) player you've never heard of.

Alan Groves was 15 out of 10 for entertainment. Hated him when he played for Bournemouth (before moving to Latics). Could not believe it when the Latics signed him, I was over the moon. Oh, for a player like that at BP again, and he was a third division player when we got him!

Alan Groves was 15 out of 10 for entertainment. Hated him when he played for Bournemouth (before moving to Latics). Could not believe it when the Latics signed him, I was over the moon. Oh, for a player like that at BP again, and he was a third division player when we got him!

Read an interview with Harry Redknapp in the Telegraph in which he says Alan Groves was the most skilful footballer he has ever worked with. Incredible to think now that this was a player playing 3rd Division football at the time. Makes you weep when you think our current wingers can barely trap a ball.

Alan was mates of everybodys dad, and thats no exageration.

Was about to type similar until I read yours!

My dad used to play squash with both Groves and Chapman at the now defunct hotel / squash club in Mooreside (can't remember what it was called); and they became pretty good mates over that time.

He has some right stories about them both; stuff that went on at this place in Mooreside and on night outs in Manchester……………only takes a few drinks to get them out of him!!!!

Would have loved to have seen him play if he was ½ the entertainer everyone says he was………..

I've posted this before in another long forgotten thread.

Groves was one of my first heroes at Latics as a young kid in the 70's, as already said he was a great entertainer and very skillful player.

My overriding memory of him is the mazey dribbling runs he used to go on, he was nigh on impossible to get the ball off when he was in the mood, not always a great end product but great entertainment for the fans, there were very few dull games when Groves was playing.

We will never see the likes of this type of player again sadly, Alan was a true entertainer. I swear some games he would go back and beat the full back again just for the hell of it. My father had a friend who had no interest in football but attended a game Grovesy was playing in.

He was so impressed by him he watched every home game after that but stopped going when Groves was sold.

My best memory of Alan Groves was on Saturday 26 Feb 1977 v Liverpool away in the FA Cup 5th round. He carved through the Liverpool defence to leave defenders such as Emlyn Hughes and Phil Thompson on the floor. A true legend who if playing today would have been a superstar. My all time favourite Latics player (as you can see by my avatar).

Probably one of the most funny things I've ever seen at a match

was Grovesey sitting on the ball pretending to tie his laces, this

was when the ball was still in play.

Also remember we were playing one of the south coast teams

away he absolutely murdered them, all they could do was try to

kick him out of the game but he just came back for more & more.

R.I.P Alan