League One assists

Not a Latics player in sight, but look at Sheehan.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/topassi...e=4&cc=5739

And guess who's top in League 2.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/topassi...e=1&cc=5739

Sheehan was the last player (of many) to wear a latics shirt to put in a decent cross.Leaving Gregan aside my Player of The Season, thats how bad the rest of them are including the dejuvenated Pav.

and it's I think it's only though injuries to other midfielders he got his chance.

I must admit that I was a little cynical to those who said "give Stephens and Lee a chance" .... I think Stephens has got it. Lee probably has it, but could we risk both in central midfield?

I must admit that I was a little cynical to those who said "give Stephens and Lee a chance" .... I think Stephens has got it. Lee probably has it, but could we risk both in central midfield?

yes i think we could,cant be much worse than saturday and if the fullbacks cant push on lee is wasted,he clearly has more to offer as an attacking threat

:censored: at right back and Lee right side of midfield might be a decent option.

:censored: at right back and Lee right side of midfield might be a decent option.

I think you might just be right in terms of Lee - the 'new' one who showed up against Orient and Wycombe would be infinitely better than Whittaker further forward on the right, but then who replaces him at fullback? I'd be happy with :censored: there but I want to see him in the midfield dominating with Stephens. It's a shame we haven't two Marrows, why he is left out is absolutely beyond me.

When's Goodwin back? Millar?

I think you might just be right in terms of Lee - the 'new' one who showed up against Orient and Wycombe would be infinitely better than Whittaker further forward on the right, but then who replaces him at fullback? I'd be happy with :censored: there but I want to see him in the midfield dominating with Stephens. It's a shame we haven't two Marrows, why he is left out is absolutely beyond me.

I think whatever problem penney has with :censored: personally shouldn't affect team selection and the side should be picked on merit.

With some of the inept performances we've witnessed lately, to leave :censored: out is baffling.

Joint 15th.

Yay!

Well worth bringing to our attention , thanks.

And, as someone suggested, 3 of his 7 assists were at latics. So only 4 more since then. (click on his name to get the breakdown)

And, as someone suggested, 3 of his 7 assists were at latics. So only 4 more since then. (click on his name to get the breakdown)

And those assists here have been badly missed, it also shows DP can find some good ones.

I see no one has the heart to comment on the Div 2 top assister. :blush:

Edited by BP1960

And those assists here have been badly missed, it also shows DP can find some good ones.

Div2 is Div2. Different defenders, different outcomes.

Plenty thought o'grady couldn't cut it. I'd suspect you'd find a good few who now praise him, who once decried him on here.

Lee would be better through the centre in my opinion. You could see the difference he made on Saturday when he finally got moved in there, playing the ball and then making runs to give an attacking option, very refreshing. Stephens and Lee would be fine in midfield together, Lee is a little lightweight but neither of them are scared to put tackles in, they'd be fine and the football would be far better. If we need a little more strength in there we could always throw :censored: in as well. DP won't be thinking about this sort of thing though, just watering at the mouth over how defensively solid Furman and Worthy will be as a pairing.

11 assists and 20 goals. So that's 31 goals he's had a direct hand in - one more than our entire team. I'm thrilled to ribbons we got rid of him.

Lee would be better through the centre in my opinion. You could see the difference he made on Saturday when he finally got moved in there, playing the ball and then making runs to give an attacking option, very refreshing. Stephens and Lee would be fine in midfield together, Lee is a little lightweight but neither of them are scared to put tackles in, they'd be fine and the football would be far better. If we need a little more strength in there we could always throw :censored: in as well. DP won't be thinking about this sort of thing though, just watering at the mouth over how defensively solid Furman and Worthy will be as a pairing.

100% agree

The depressing thing is I don't think the 2 defensive midfielders and non overlapping full backs system will change.

It appears the managements main priority is about not conceding goals.

Edited by BP1960

We cant play Lee on the right, he drifts inside as soon as he gets the ball, and Taylor's already doing that on the left! It will be like playing 4 CM's.

That’s how I see it too – if you want Lee in the midfield then it has to be at CM; as if you put him at RM; then he’ll end up in the centre anyway.

Playing people out of position doesn’t help anyone. Danny Whitts is not a RM; and playing him there when; at your disposal, you have 3 players who are RM / RW by trade is just baffling.

With who is currently fit and available; It is tricky but I personally would be starting :censored: in the CM and asking him to do the ‘box to box’ job he did earlier in the season (where he scored our first goal of the season by breaking beyond the ST’s and finding the finish). Lee would unfortunately have to remain at RB due to a lack of options in that area & in fairness he’s been more than adequate; which leaves who partners :censored: in the Centre – if he recovers from his knock; then for me it has to be Dale Stephens – I think those 2 could well be a decent partnership. If he isn’t fit enough; then out of the rest I’d go for Worthy over Furman and Whitts; as he is better than Furman IMO at doing the ‘nasty’ stuff; allowing :censored: to push on.

On the :censored: front; if his absence is down to personal reasons rather than football reasons; then in our current predicament surely Penney has to be the bigger man and put aside whatever has gone on and stick Alex back into the side. Whilst sometimes I would say the game passed him by for 5-10 minute patches somewhat; he was one of a better performers earlier in the season – and with his physicality; wholeheartedness and work-rate; I’d say he is exactly the type of player you’d want in your side in a relegation scrap??

In the centre; Dale Stephens has found himself in a rather enviable position of ‘having to start’; because we look out of sorts without him playing – and this coming from a player who I am convinced was nowhere near Penney’s 1st team plans until injuries forced his hand.

Midfield has been one of the major problems all season; and it shows no signs of improvement or being sorted out with 10 games remaining.