Is the man for real?

Ah, the unmentioned happy to win games.

I'd take 4 points and be okay with it. But, carry on as it appears to be beating stick season and you can pick any.

It's only beating season if people are given sticks and reason to beat. You'd be happy with a draw in either of those home games given the run in we've got? More fool you...

Edited by Snookmeister

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God theres some wet end minges on this board...Penney plays down our chances every bloody game and it gets right on my teets. Has he ever put his neck on the line and said we should win a game this season?!?! It is always a 'team in form' or a team 'that should be doing better in the league...Stop sitting on the fence you clown, be a man and face facts demand some results!! Sure if you lot are happy with last day of the season being a must win until you pull out all the stops then fair enough. This is the exact attitude why we are so lack lustre, it smacks of the word 'gutless'.

People would have a lot more respect for the guy if he said we are going all out for a win to secure our safety as soon as possible. If we lose sure the odd person might be able to jump on his back and say he didnt deliver his promise but fu*k it at least its the right attitude to go into a football game wanting a positive result!!

God he grates on me... never has someone's comments at Oldham got under my skin so much....

Edited by Blue_Guru

God theres some wet end minges on this board...Penney plays down our chances every bloody game and it gets right on my teets. Has he ever put his neck on the line and said we should win a game this season?!?! It is always a 'team in form' or a team 'that should be doing better in the league...Stop sitting on the fence you clown, be a man and face facts demand some results!! Sure if you lot are happy with last day of the season being a must win until you pull out all the stops then fair enough. This is the exact attitude why we are so lack lustre, it smacks of the word 'gutless'.

People would have a lot more respect for the guy if he said we are going all out for a win to secure our safety as soon as possible. If we lose sure the odd person might be able to jump on his back and say he didnt deliver his promise but fu*k it at least its the right attitude to go into a football game wanting a positive result!!

God he grates on me... never has someone's comments at Oldham got under my skin so much....

Precisely. Call me Mr Demanding, but I'd rather we secured League One status before then.

I have enough grey hair as it is.

Would be happy with 4pts...so for me, a loss or draw tomoz night makes Saturday must win for me. You have to win these so you don't need a must win at the end of the season. Not saying that if we don't, I want him sacked as I've no agenda or desire to jump on the bandwagon that started the minute he got to BP. He could be more positive but then these comments are no different to the praise Shez used to lord over our next opponent. As some say, it's possibly as to not to put pressure on the players. But on the other hand, I'd suggest it's more a case of not writing the oppositions team talk for them!

Edited by boundaryblue80

something for penney to read and think about...

"Since I took the job our play has been marked by brave, attacking football.

Sometimes we've been bold and, occasionally, I think we've played audaciously.

It's a philosophy of football. Win or lose I want us to show who we are and what kind of football we believe in. I want my team to go out and be themselves.

Those of us lucky enough to work at this level in our profession must never forget that it's only a sport.

We live in a world where everything is spiralling in cost and many people need to make a big sacrifice in order to go and watch a game of football.

So for me it all makes sense, the effort, the work, the planning, the concentration and the discipline, if you do it for the people.

The manner in which we play is a demonstration of the respect we have for the people who pay for a ticket or pay money to watch matches on television."

Pep Guardiola

Edited by johnny punkster

Would be happy with 4pts...so for me, a loss or draw tomoz night makes Saturday must win for me. You have to win these so you don't need a must win at the end of the season. Not saying that if we don't, I want him sacked as I've no agenda or desire to jump on the bandwagon that started the minute he got to BP. He could be more positive but then these comments are no different to the praise Shez used to lord over our next opponent. As some say, it's possibly as to not to put pressure on the players. But on the other hand, I'd suggest it's more a case of not writing the oppositions team talk for them!

oh man come on take your Penney glasses off , the guy is a clown

'start planning for next season'

These games are must win Dave if you want to even remotely have a chance to still be in a job come may.

We will be planning for next season....but with Jim Gannon in charge, you won't be when we have 1000 season ticket holders come june.

BYE DAVE you prize A Prick!!

How he can't say they are must win games sums the guy up - in his own little Doncaster bubble. We want to get safe = need points = need wins = must win games.

I'm wasting my breath

Whatever Dave....................

What is with this fascination with Jim Gannon? I'll as far to say he'll never be in charge here.

Anyway, win these games in hand and then it looks like we've been in a situation similar to Brentford, in the sense they've never really been in much threat of going down.

And next year when Penney's had time to shape his squad more, got in a bloody second striker etc and then if he's doing just as bad as this year then we can fully judge him.

I'm still looking for the bit where he said he'd rather lose the matches ad get sacked. He made the correct point that they just aren't, "must win." The might be, "by God it would be good if we won." but that's not a good headline. Why put more pressure on the players?

becasue of the position we are in, Penney will never win.

I agree.

If he had said we must win both these game, and we did not (ie even a win and a draw, where does that leave him? Lots of fans piling in)

"I think if he had said my tactics will be to get all 6 points, but if we do not then it will pile more pressure on us" that would have been better.

But the simple truth is we can still stay up if we don;t win both game. It's just a hell of a lot harder.

It is obvious he is trying to take the pressure of his players, and hopefully lower the expectations of the fans.

The one thing I hope he has done is told the players these are must win games. I think what he is saying publicly will differ from private.

The fans are on the players back, and understandably so given our position, but support in the remaining game is crucial to instill beleive we can get to safety aSAP.

Reminds me of Martin O'Neill at Celtic when he arrived. He told his players I am going to tell one lie, I am going to tellt he fans it is impossible to win the title this season. But beleive me we will go all out to win the title and I willa ceept nothing less.

Not that I am comparing Penney to Martin O'Neill you must understand.

Edited by singe

becasue of the position we are in, Penney will never win.

I agree.

If he had said we must win both these game, and we did not (ie even a win and a draw, where does that leave him? Lots of fans piling in)

"I think if he had said my tactics will be to get all 6 points, but if we do not then it will pile more pressure on us" that would have been better.

But the simple truth is we can still stay up if we don;t win both game. It's just a hell of a lot harder.

It is obvious he is trying to take the pressure of his players, and hopefully lower the expectations of the fans.

The one thing I hope he has done is told the players these are must win games. I think what he is saying publicly will differ from private.

The fans are on the players back, and understandably so given our position, but support in the remaining game is crucial to instill beleive we can get to safety aSAP.

Reminds me of Martin O'Neill at Celtic when he arrived. He told his players I am going to tell one lie, I am going to tellt he fans it is impossible to win the title this season. But beleive me we will go all out to win the title and I willa ceept nothing less.

Not that I am comparing Penney to Martin O'Neill you must understand.

Here is the quote inth e Chron

Nowt wrong with that IMHO. I think he is exactly right.

“It is not a must-win — when you have one game left in the season and need three points, that is a must-win for me,” said Penney, who welcomes back Dale Stephens (hip and hamstring) and Kelvin Lomax (groin) into his squad after injury.

But it is important we do win and on Saturday as well to push us, with a game in hand, out of trouble and into mid-table."

Here is the quote inth e Chron

Nowt wrong with that IMHO. I think he is exactly right.

“It is not a must-win — when you have one game left in the season and need three points, that is a must-win for me,” said Penney, who welcomes back Dale Stephens (hip and hamstring) and Kelvin Lomax (groin) into his squad after injury.

But it is important we do win and on Saturday as well to push us, with a game in hand, out of trouble and into mid-table."

Oi !!

I've warned you before about posting facts that stop people from moaning!!

Now, where did I put my banning-stick? :wink:

The man is a looney. He's been at it all season and thats what results in the negative performances by the players. Saying it isn't a must win game sends the wrong message to them. I heard him on the radio a few weeks back before the Colchester game say it doesn't matter if we win today as long as the lads play okay and enjoy themselves and guess what the result was?

Can you imagine your gaffer saying it doesnt matter if you dont hit your sales targets this week as long as you have fun........ aint gonna happen is it?

And for all of you who would be happy with 4 points from the next 2 games, I can only think you are the ones who would be happy enough with league 2 football because thats where we will be heading unless we get 6 IMO.

We will get nowt or next to it after these 2 games.

Oh ye moaning groaning set of wilting wet whinnies - all the guy is trying to do is avoid piling on the pressure. All this disemination to the n'th degree is pointless. Anyway, shouldn't you be getting on with your work ?

What he should have said Is: ‘The next two games are vital to our survival. Because there is no way on earth we are going to go away to Huddersfield, Southampton and MK Dons and pick up points. Plus we’ve got Charlton last game of the season which we won’t win as they’ll need it to for their promotion hopes.’

‘o what me and the boys have agreed is – win the next two and we get a week at Pontin’s at the end of the season’.

Dave Penney - the most misunderstood man in Oldham! What amazes me is that there are some armchair wonderkids on this site who seem to actually believe that he is sat there under the impression that getting 2 points out of the next few games will be a good effort and it'll all work out in the end.

Time for some of the slack-jawed yokels on this site to try and think coherently for once.

Dave Penney is a man who has made his career in a cut-throat and results orientated business all his life - there is no possible way that he is under any illusions about the importance of the games coming up, but it does him no good to acknowledge it so why would he? To suggest that fans sat on the outside know more than him about it is frankly preposterous. I agree that this year has been a massive let down and that DP has to shoulder a large portion of the blame, but this is the most irrelevant and tenuous post since that gash about him "not giving a monkey's". He doesn't have to "handle" fans - judge results and not the rest of this crap.

Seriously, I swear the IQ of some of these posters must be in the low single figures...

Dave Penney - the most misunderstood man in Oldham! What amazes me is that there are some armchair wonderkids on this site who seem to actually believe that he is sat there under the impression that getting 2 points out of the next few games will be a good effort and it'll all work out in the end.

Time for some of the slack-jawed yokels on this site to try and think coherently for once.

Dave Penney is a man who has made his career in a cut-throat and results orientated business all his life - there is no possible way that he is under any illusions about the importance of the games coming up, but it does him no good to acknowledge it so why would he? To suggest that fans sat on the outside know more than him about it is frankly preposterous. I agree that this year has been a massive let down and that DP has to shoulder a large portion of the blame, but this is the most irrelevant and tenuous post since that gash about him "not giving a monkey's". He doesn't have to "handle" fans - judge results and not the rest of this crap.

Seriously, I swear the IQ of some of these posters must be in the low single figures...

Judge results?

Okay then,

Won 10, Drawn 10, Lost 16

Scored 30 and got a -13 goal difference

Feckin sh!te

Ok then. Let's judge the results..............................wait, hang on.........................this cannot be correct...............we're languishing at the foot of the table in serious danger of relegation.......................these can't surely be the results you're referring to, DLV????????

Oh, and disagree all you want. That's what this board is all about. But to suggest we're all "slack-jawed" etc because of a differing view?? Behave yourself.

You find the thread "irrelevant and tenuous"? Don't frickinwell read or comment then. Dead easy for an enlightened genius such as yourself.

Edited by Snookmeister

Is Saturday Must win yet, or do we have to wait?

I can say he is right. It is not a must win, but it is important that we do win.

However, not be able to gee the players up is going to me we are in the right do do.

Obviosuly , like most I ahve feared relegation for some time. Last night, after a bit of a rest, we have not been able to re-group, so I think we are likely to go down.

That said if we an scrape enough points to stay up, a reshuffle and see where we are by November.

There have been some mitigating factors in a god awful season.

I can say he is right. It is not a must win, but it is important that we do win.

However, not be able to gee the players up is going to me we are in the right do do.

Obviosuly , like most I ahve feared relegation for some time. Last night, after a bit of a rest, we have not been able to re-group, so I think we are likely to go down.

That said if we an scrape enough points to stay up, a reshuffle and see where we are by November.

There have been some mitigating factors in a god awful season.

lose on saturday and the 3 teams under us win thats it...were not going to get anything from huddersfield southampton or mk dons away,and i wouldnt fancy our chances at home on last day to charlton...

we lose on saturday thats it,were as good as down....if this happens then all those sitting on there hands hoping and praying can rightly have those calling for the managers head saying..we told you so

You know better than this Martin. To be openly worried about our fate this season, you are of low IQ and and spout drivel. Stop it immediatley and sit on your hands with your mouth shut.

True enough.

Remember it's only must win when we actually need three points to stay up. Forget the rest where you turn up and pay your money, they don't matter. Helps breed that winning mentality you see <_<