Sir David of Pennyshire

Now over the season even after the second game i've been one of his biggest critics and only three weeks ago i wanted him out, but over the last month he's started to make me think again.

We've won at home a fair amount in recent times, beating Bristol Rovers, Gillingham & Orient in key clashes, while also winning "must" win games at Stockport and Tranmere efficiently.

Tonight it felt as though the "old" Oldham was back with the way we played, and after a decent performance at Huddersfield it's made me think in a way he perhaps can take us forward.

I still don't like his lack of passion and what was suppose to have happened at Exeter, but with the stick he received it could be seen as understandable. If he can get a bit more passion into the players and himself then he perhaps could be worth another season.

Obviously we need to score more, but it seems to have improved over the last month, he needs to make signings in key areas, and work on scoring, more attacking football, which he does have a history for.

Now depending on how we finish this season he could be worth another season despite all the hate.

Unlucky not to win tonight, created a few decent chances, and on another night could have easily taken the points.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now over the season even after the second game i've been one of his biggest critics and only three weeks ago i wanted him out, but over the last month he's started to make me think again.

We've won at home a fair amount in recent times, beating Bristol Rovers, Gillingham & Orient in key clashes, while also winning "must" win games at Stockport and Tranmere efficiently.

Tonight it felt as though the "old" Oldham was back with the way we played, and after a decent performance at Huddersfield it's made me think in a way he perhaps can take us forward.

I still don't like his lack of passion and what was suppose to have happened at Exeter, but with the stick he received it could be seen as understandable. If he can get a bit more passion into the players and himself then he perhaps could be worth another season.

Obviously we need to score more, but it seems to have improved over the last month, he needs to make signings in key areas, and work on scoring, more attacking football, which he does have a history for.

Now depending on how we finish this season he could be worth another season despite all the hate.

Unlucky not to win tonight, created a few decent chances, and on another night could have easily taken the points.

funnily enough i was just thinkin along the same lines. results and more importantly performances have improved. interestingly the improvement started after the bollocking he got off corney after the brighton match. not saying he has won me over but is there anyone out there starting to change there mind about him?

What was meant to have happened at Exeter?

Is that your first ever sensible post?

A sensible post; I think Penny will be here next season but please not another season like this one. It has been the least enjoyable one I can ever remember. As I’ve said in a previous post, I do feel as if we have turned a corner. “The darkest hour is the one before the dawn”.

A sensible post; I think Penny will be here next season but please not another season like this one. It has been the least enjoyable one I can ever remember. As I’ve said in a previous post, I do feel as if we have turned a corner. “The darkest hour is the one before the dawn”.

i was one of those who whilst not utterly impressed by his appointment,was quietly confident he would do ok....

as the season has progressed and the way we have played has gone from bad to worse..i too am guilty of calling for his head..and a change in managment..

nothing has really changed except he now seems to be picking his team according to opponants...and as a result there has been an upturn in our fortunes..how much of that is down to dp we will never know....i think greegs has helped massively this season in guiding the players through....

at this stage we still need points to secure our safety,once that is achieved who knows...should he be given until christmas next season???? should he be told thanks but no thanks at end of season???

i think...with a 100%fit taylor...and maybe 3 or 4 decent hardworking players added to the squad we wont be far off....

i was one of those who whilst not utterly impressed by his appointment,was quietly confident he would do ok....

as the season has progressed and the way we have played has gone from bad to worse..i too am guilty of calling for his head..and a change in managment..

nothing has really changed except he now seems to be picking his team according to opponants...and as a result there has been an upturn in our fortunes..how much of that is down to dp we will never know....i think greegs has helped massively this season in guiding the players through....

at this stage we still need points to secure our safety,once that is achieved who knows...should he be given until christmas next season???? should he be told thanks but no thanks at end of season???

i think...with a 100%fit taylor...and maybe 3 or 4 decent hardworking players added to the squad we wont be far off....

We will always be a distance away until we find two decent goalscorers - as well as we played at both Huddersfield and MK Dons, we simply miss too many chances. We don't need hardworking players - we need good confident players who can find the back of the onion bag - oh if only a certain Mr Hughes was still .... nah :huh:

Actually said same on chat last night. I was delighted when he signed as thought he was a hard working bloke with decent relationship with support. Have been despondant at times this season and a month ago would have driven him back to Castleford. Really unhappy with tics.

BUT I was wrong, look past the injuries, and signs of progress, defence far more solid, clean sheets etc. ONLY goals fail to have us in much better position. Young lads making in roads to team. Stephens, Lee finally getting going. We need a goalscorer to make the difference. Try to keep :censored:, Flav. Purdie IF fit will be a good extra, Lewis ? Brooke, Eaves, Millar etc not all doom.

Pav needs cover, support. Keep Guy only 24 quick. At least DP should get to Christmas as a minimum to see if further progress.

Gregan imense...but can he be expected to do it again next year.

Good question - Aljofree apart (and I doubt he will be here next season), we need cover at centre back - and decent cover at that. Oh and a goalscorer too please. :wink:

Edited by TheBigDog

I think hes doing alright, will need to improve a bit more to the squad, like i said earlier ive gone from loving him, to hating him to unsure,

he seems to be a bit distant from the fans at the club, if he can gain there trust, and show he cares for the club i think things will start to turn around, the fans will back him more, it will create a better atmosphere for the players and, with a well thought out transfer window we could see us lifted a lot higher next season,

we should be ok next season, given that we were up against some clubs this season who could afford players of a lot higher calibre and had players on their bench who where probably earning more money than our highest earners, we should see 3 of these big money clubs leave this division next season and it seems the ones coming down to this division we have a shot at beating. also we have had a lot of bad luck with injuries to some decent players, hopefully we should have a fully fit and better taylor next season aswell as purdie who was a sensation at darlington, these are 2 improvements straight away

have to agree blue pizza and mr penney also clapped the travelling support last night.Very comfy seats at mk last night quality stadium

Do you have proof of this????? I will not believe it until I see it. I almost did not believe it when he removed his hand from a pocket last sat and starting pointing out on to the pitch. Myself and Bristol latic were in shock.

:grin:

Have never been bowled over by Dave Penny since he arrived, but have been a supporter of the 'give him time' mentality throughout the season and am pleased to see that we look like we will secure League One football next season.

I think there has been signs of improvement since February (though often followed by a poor performance after) and I am happy to renew my ST and see what DP does with the team for next season. As long as we are no routed in the bottom 4, I'd give him the entire season and see how we finish - I do not expect to turn into promotion candidates straight away but I'd hope we finish higher (13th-8th would be OK for slow and steady improvement).

The jury is still out for me on Penney. He is a good manager no doubts and he certainly can talk the talk but could he deliver? This season minus a few promising blips has been a real safety first approach. The football has been dire. Don't mind defending well if we can give it a go at the other end as well which has been lacking.

The squad is far from being good enough for a promotion charge, not enough quality there. Changes need to be made. Should Penney manage to keep us up and it's looking likely now then I'll be happy for him to stay over the summer and try to correct the mistakes he's made this season.

If he is allowed some money in the summer I think he should concentrate in bringing in a goalscorer of the Beckett/Hughes mould. Someone who can score a goal from nothing.

Cant believe this thread and all the new pro-Penney brigade. Worst football I have seen this season in 30+ years as a season ticket holder. Nowt to do with having 2 great strikers or anything........ The manager has the most negative style of football I have ever witnessed.

Has everyone forgot 80-90% of the crowd singing boring boring Oldham when 1 nil up at Stockport?

I wont be renuing my Season Ticket of 20 odd years if Penney is in charge, I would take my chance with anyone else and I think plenty others feel the same.

Cant believe this thread and all the new pro-Penney brigade. Worst football I have seen this season in 30+ years as a season ticket holder. Nowt to do with having 2 great strikers or anything........ The manager has the most negative style of football I have ever witnessed.

Has everyone forgot 80-90% of the crowd singing boring boring Oldham when 1 nil up at Stockport?

I wont be renuing my Season Ticket of 20 odd years if Penney is in charge, I would take my chance with anyone else and I think plenty others feel the same.

I can understand, i hated the guy with a passion, dont get me wrong the sh*t this season has taken my passion away, and up until last month i'd enjoyed about 2 and a bit games, however these last 2 away games, and few home games have improved drastically. I feel like basing my opinion on how we finish this season, which could be difficult as we and the other teams are playing for nothing, has to keep the level of MK & Huddersfield up now though, and not go back to his hands in the pocket boring Dave approach, otherwise he has to go, as said before, not putting up with what has happened the majority of the season again.

Even given the dross that we have had to watch this season, I would never give up my seat and season ticket because of one man - he will not be around much longer if he continues the negative tactics - but on the other hand if he starts to encourage more adventurous play then we (theoretically) will do better and confidence will return and then would you still feel the same about DP?

I agree about the negative play (and I do believe that DP is a cautious manager by nature) but the performances have improved of late and who knows - maybe Penney has what it takes to change and improve our fortunes on the pitch.

Either way - I will be renewing my season ticket and I think plenty others feel the same.

btw. 30+ years or 20 odd years? :grin:

I wondered why so many had suddenly changed opinion but I havent bee to the last 2 games so cant comment!

It's probably due to the sense of relief at being "almost" safe from relegation. One defeat in how many matches? Shows how fickle we all are! :lol: