We knocked back £700k for Porter, which can of goes against the theory that we take whatever we are offered. Agree I would have liked to keep Eardley on but we sold a player who wasn't going to sign another contract for what we could get. Seem to remember us doing OK out of Spencer and Philliskirk as well.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

niether me or anyone else would expect him at 17/18 to be the finished article but at that age i would expect him to be able to control a ball.

i didn,t mean my earlier comment to sound nasty but we have no money and if someone were to offer that much for eaves i,d take it

Exactly! People need to tell the difference between people saying he is crap, and people saying he is far from the finished article.

IMO he is (quite rightly for his age) at least a season of development away from the first team squad. Dave Penney inability to build a squad cappable of getting near the goal has meant he has been forced into the first team through necessity.

He shouldnt be near the first team yet, he isnt good enough. He may well we in time - however it is still a risk. As I have said, if anyone wants to offer a decent amount of money for one of our kids - Eaves, Black, Leto, Brooke etc. then I would take it, its how it works at this level.

People saying he should be playing every week, and that he should be in the first team next year are way off IMO. He could be great, but not yet.

That I agree with. It sounded to me like dkenyonqfc2 was writing him off completely (and thanks for clarifying that you weren't). I think he needs another season of sub starts, no-pressure cup game starts and maybe a loan spell in a lower division.

You could say that about pretty much every member of our squad this season. Eaves probably isn't really ready to be thrown into the first team at the moment, but the way Abbott's playing it can't do any harm. He looks like Bambi on the ice most of the time but at least he's keen.

yestarday abbotts first touch was appauling,and embarrassing for a pro footballer,least when eaves did come on he run abit and put in a bit of effort,didnt let that big defender have it all his own way

give him a start now for last two games,see what he can do,cant do any harm and if it turns out to be true hes wanted and he bags a goal or 2 it can only put £££ on his head...

yestarday abbotts first touch was appauling,and embarrassing for a pro footballer,least when eaves did come on he run abit and put in a bit of effort,didnt let that big defender have it all his own way

give him a start now for last two games,see what he can do,cant do any harm and if it turns out to be true hes wanted and he bags a goal or 2 it can only put £££ on his head...

We wont see Pawel again this season IMO (and maybe even Greegs too). Looking forward to the next two games. The kids can finally play without the stupid pressure of having to get this limping team over the line. Plus i'd imagine there will be one or two playing for contracts. These are exactly the type of games where we can see what they can do.

Should be fun. I'd also like to see Jigsaw given a game if he is actually fit. Millar, Eaves and Jigsaw could be interesting to see down at Yeovil - not exactly the most hostile place to play footie (and they are very lightweight) which should suit them.

Should play a stronger team against charlton then to try and finish the season on a high.

I doubt you'll see Gregan dropped/rested unless he is really hurt... he's on for playing every minute of every game this season (right?! Or am I losing it...) and at his age, in his position, in a team which has at times been woeful would be a magnificent achievement and one he would be rightly proud of.

The problem with us is that if we release these guys for £300k plus peanuts in add-ons then where are we going to find anyone to replace them? I agree that Eaves does not look anywhere near the finished article yet, and I also agree that we haven't done too badly out of sales recently (the crime that was Eardley aside), but if he has this potential then sooner or later we have to keep one of these lads for ourselves.

Look at Maynard at Crewe; talented young lad with loads of injuries, basically got to about 20 and was able to show flashes of his ability inbetween spells out and got snapped up for loads by Brizzle. Wasn't that about £2m? If we are going to move forward as a club then we need to give our lads the chance to be shooting stars rather than selling them at the promising stage.

As for our fans and their unrealistic expectations; I read somewhere that someone wanted Brooke out of the door already, but wanted to renew the contracts of Smalley and Alessandra - apparently Brooke hadn't "kicked on" and so should go! Like the esteemed bumlord Zorrro said; we have some poisonous followers, and they seem to have a manifest inability to think coherently about what they are saying...

The problem with us is that if we release these guys for £300k plus peanuts in add-ons then where are we going to find anyone to replace them? I agree that Eaves does not look anywhere near the finished article yet, and I also agree that we haven't done too badly out of sales recently (the crime that was Eardley aside), but if he has this potential then sooner or later we have to keep one of these lads for ourselves.

Look at Maynard at Crewe; talented young lad with loads of injuries, basically got to about 20 and was able to show flashes of his ability inbetween spells out and got snapped up for loads by Brizzle. Wasn't that about £2m? If we are going to move forward as a club then we need to give our lads the chance to be shooting stars rather than selling them at the promising stage.

As for our fans and their unrealistic expectations; I read somewhere that someone wanted Brooke out of the door already, but wanted to renew the contracts of Smalley and Alessandra - apparently Brooke hadn't "kicked on" and so should go! Like the esteemed bumlord Zorrro said; we have some poisonous followers, and they seem to have a manifest inability to think coherently about what they are saying...

I'll try and put it clearer for others my intelligent friend.

Most know feck all about the game really and spouting :censored:e is their favourite hobby!!

I'll try and put it clearer for others my intelligent friend.

Most know feck all about the game really and spouting :censored:e is their favourite hobby!!

You're still expecting a lot from them...

"FECKIN BOOO" = YOU ARE WRONG!

And Wigan can f**k right off. The 'other' Latics? You mean the original Latics, whose name, nickname and kit you copied because it wasn't worth coming up with anything original for a team no-one's going to watch,even in the Premier League?

As far as I'm concerned Rosa they can all get ter f***, he isn't the finished article & neither is Brooke, so we should be keep hold of em until they are.

Theres a clear differential in my mind. I put Smalley, Stephens, Jigsaw, Tayls (still, just), Lomax in a group who should be in the first team and progressing, season on season... They all should be proving themselves now, and if they arent, well they aint really going to make it.

... Eaves, Millar, Brooke, Black, Leta etc... anything we get out of these guys is more than a bonus. They are just kids, and all have a lot of developing as footballers to do. 2-3 years before we should be expecting anything consistent from them. In turn, if a 'bigger' team wants to offer us anything over £250k(ish) for them (with add-ons), then we should sell, and wish them well in thier careers.

I see what you are saying, some fans just lump them all together. My fellings towards the younger lot arent negative, they are so full of promise, it is just that we should have a squad that does not rely on them to be key players, especially during a relegation scrap.

Strange that as we looked infinately better first half than second half yesterday, we really missed Abbott second half yesterday and will no doubt miss him if he's not fit for the last 2 games.

Eaves is a raw youngster, if you think Abott's first touch was poor yesterday you can't have been impressed with Eaves's the ball was just cannoning off him to an opponent, he is a good prospect but certainly no more than that at this stage.

niether me or anyone else would expect him at 17/18 to be the finished article but at that age i would expect him to be able to control a ball.

i didn,t mean my earlier comment to sound nasty but we have no money and if someone were to offer that much for eaves i,d take it

Eaves has very good ball control, but is doing things a bit too hurriedly at the moment, he's the best prospect this club has had in years, give him a a couple of full games and this will bring him on tremendously.

Edited by BP1960

Eaves has very good ball control, but is doing things a bit too hurriedly at the moment, he's the best prospect this club has had in years, give him a a couple of full games and this will bring him on tremendously.

a loan spell where he could play week in week out would be best,a couple of games won,t have him ready for our first team but maybe 6 month out on loan would

He looked like he had a 50p for a foot (and a chest) yesterday. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade and I'm sure he'll get better, but that was a shocking 45 minutes and part of the reason we were so poor in the second half.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing that towering centre half he was up against in an Oldham shirt next season.

Highlight of the game for me (other than the goals) was when a group of around six Latics fans in the main stand paddock who had been abusing their whiny striker all game give him a standing ovation when he was substituted.

That and the youthful abuse from the Chaddy End that seemed to unsettle Mildenhall.

Edited by OAFCMIKE

He looked like he had a 50p for a foot (and a chest) yesterday. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade and I'm sure he'll get better, but that was a shocking 45 minutes and part of the reason we were so poor in the second half.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing that towering centre half he was up against in an Oldham shirt next season.

Highlight of the game for me (other than the goals) was when a group of around six Latics fans in the main stand paddock who had been abusing their whiny striker all game give him a standing ovation when he was substituted.

That and the youthful abuse from the Chaddy End that seemed to unsettle Mildenhall.

Indeed, that was the reason both Abbott and Eaves had quiet games. He even matched guy for peace too.

Eee, In’t Football great – so many people at the same match and so many wildly different opinions of what they saw.

I fail to see how anyone can pull Abbott for a poor first touch; but hey – we’re all entitled to an opinion I suppose. I personally put our poor 2nd half performance down to the fact that our key man was no longer on the pitch and we instead had a raw 17 year old up top in his place; but hey-ho.

M’Voto I thought was dire – just another pro player who has a career in the game due to their physical size and not any discernable ability. Could he head the ball? Yes. Could he run a bit? Yes. Does he have any semblance of technical ability on the ball or a footballing brain when in possession? Nah – he’s poo...

Back on topic with Eaves – it’s been said previously – if we had any form of ‘squad’ then TE would be nowhere near the 1st team. As it is; his performances; thrown in as he has, have shown me that he has something to be worked with and that he has a chance of becoming a decent player at our level (or above; maybe in time); but he is neither a star nor a doughnut; he’s just a 17 / 18 year old lad who has been trust into 1st team football a bit too soon and is trying too hard to make an impression. Lots to work with; away from the 1st team picture next season for the lad; IMO!!

I fail to see how anyone can pull Abbott for a poor first touch; but hey – we’re all entitled to an opinion I suppose. I personally put our poor 2nd half performance down to the fact that our key man was no longer on the pitch and we instead had a raw 17 year old up top in his place; but hey-ho.

Well put Sir - even on an off-day Abbott looked a class act above most of the other players out there. He went off at half time and we lost it.

Some of the Abbott criticism on these boards baffles me, he is quality at this level.

Well put Sir - even on an off-day Abbott looked a class act above most of the other players out there. He went off at half time and we lost it.

Some of the Abbott criticism on these boards baffles me, he is quality at this level.

+1 really pal; the lack of 'proper' football knowledge from some as you say baffles.....

+1 really pal; the lack of 'proper' football knowledge from some as you say baffles.....

I'll take that on too. Abbott has been a godsend this year; a real quality player who has done well without being fully fit for extended periods of time and without the team really playing to his strengths (i.e. having a foil for him - I don't count Parker).

I would say though that I don't have a problem with us thrusting youngsters up a bit sooner than they'd like. Shane Warne used to advocate it at cricket as being the making of some of the Aussie greats, and he knows what he is talking about in that sphere. Granted football is different, and there is more physical / less mental edge to the game in comparison, but lads like Fagan and Zamora have kicked on from being given chances when still very raw and so as reserves I don't see an issue. Pav and another first choice striker are needed, but if we can be getting Brooke and Eaves onto the pitch semi-regularly next year then I don't think it would be a disaster and could make us a bit of cash in the long-run and maybe a decent player in the short.

I'll take that on too. Abbott has been a godsend this year; a real quality player who has done well without being fully fit for extended periods of time and without the team really playing to his strengths (i.e. having a foil for him - I don't count Parker).

I would say though that I don't have a problem with us thrusting youngsters up a bit sooner than they'd like. Shane Warne used to advocate it at cricket as being the making of some of the Aussie greats, and he knows what he is talking about in that sphere. Granted football is different, and there is more physical / less mental edge to the game in comparison, but lads like Fagan and Zamora have kicked on from being given chances when still very raw and so as reserves I don't see an issue. Pav and another first choice striker are needed, but if we can be getting Brooke and Eaves onto the pitch semi-regularly next year then I don't think it would be a disaster and could make us a bit of cash in the long-run and maybe a decent player in the short.

Also as I told someone Saturday I still dont think we have seen a %100 fully fit abbot !

Edited by razza699