Oldham Shirts.

Do you buy a Shirt either Home or Away  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy a Shirt either Home or Away

• Yes
    • No
    • I would do if they were cheaper or if they were on offer.

I'll only buy a kit at full price if the kit looks nice and not likely to fall apart.

Like everything latics, looking to spend as little as possible on everything no matter what the product ends up like.

was going to buy the current home shirt and the tangerine an blue away untill i saw the sponser bit was jus one of those stickers they use for the numbers that wear away an crack up. as has been mentioned if it wasnt all cheap crap i would buy more

i generally buy a shirt a season to simply help (?) the club ... the current away one is the best quality one for a long time in my opinion, decent material and colours etc aren't too bad!

but at £40 a pop they ARE a waste of money cause i will only wear it on match day .. i wouldn't be seen dead in a footy shirt outside of the house otherwise (that chav look gets on my tits!)

so assuming the colours designs are ok i'll continue ('steward' yellow remained on the shelf BTW!) buying every season!

The only thing worse than a grown man in a football shirt is a grown man in a ftooball shirt with a name/number on the back.

I reckon I'm like something out of shameless.

Not only do I wear football shirts (generally foreign) in public. But I crack rugby shirts on too.

St Georges day wearing this:

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/sports/7...up-england.html

was fantastico.

Yeah there is. The reason is the cut of the cloth or nylon or whatever they're made of.

The shirts make me look fat because the design is no good.

They stick to every bit of skin don't they.

horrible fabric.

Regarding manufacturers - my thoughts:

Umbro - used to do decent shirts, but they seemed to slip into experimenting with some odd designs for a few seasons and to be honest at the time I was glad to get rid of them.

Pony - I don't recall being that bothered by the quality, but that Red and Blue hooped abomination left a very bitter taste behind. Thought the Slumberland sponsored home shirt circ Steve Whitehall era was ok.

Sparta - now THAT was the worst quality kit we have had in my time. Felt and looked like the £150 for a kids 11 a side type thing. Also responsible for the retro-ish kit with a totally white back IIRC.

Carlotti - pretty decent I thought. Especially liked the embroided sponsors logo, looked more substantial.

Carbrini - again decent I thought, though the sponsor sticker lets it down in terms of quality.

IMO Bigger names tend to have more identikit designs for the lower league teams - and I know that the Carllotti/Carbrini do the same, but because they shift less, then seem a bit more exclusive than the Nike shirts which seem to be the same everywhere (inc International sides as well).

For me, the thing I am more conerned with is that we do not have a definite identity with our kit anymore. Look at the historic pages and we have had periods of having a design (like the one rumoured to be here on Sat) that is unique, but we give it away too often.

In my time (25 yrs) we have had all blue shirts, blue and white shirts, white and blue shirts, blue and red shirts. We have had blue shorts, white shorts, blue socks, white socks, blue and red socks etc etc.

You'd have thought a new away shirt EVERY year was enough opportunity to prat around with quirky designs, and just have a classic strip for home that never really changes in terms of the basics.

We will never stick to a design long enough to get a genuine identity. And that is a shame.

Current England home shirt is very nice - almost a t-shirt type feel.

A return to Umbro, with an all blue version and a consistent colour of shorts/socks, and stick to that premise for the next 25 seasons = happy for me.

My interpretation of things

Umbro - Regarding shirt quality, head and shoulders above any manufacturer we have had since then. I really liked the design of the 1995/1996 shirt, that is still to date my all time favourite shirt design. I would also like to note that the shirt sponsor was also a sticker like the current kit, but this shirt I have kept and still have it today, and at the time I wore it every saturday, and it has still withstood the test of time.

Pony - I was one of the few who actually liked the red and blue hooped shirt as a stand alone shirt, but it didnt feel like a latics shirt. No issues re quality apart from the sponsor on the shirt really prone to attracting dust and got dirty very easilly. Really liked the all blue slumberland kit too, again no issues with quality.

Sparta - would agree and disagree with scapegoat here. The white and blue, whilst not my favourite latics kit by a long way, was a nice change from an all blue. Under Sparta we seen some of the most popular (eg burgundy away kit, which was kept for three seasons) and least popular shirts (that horrible yellow away kit). Quality of the material was ok but the printing for the shirt sponsor had a tendency to crack and peel off pretty quickly

Carlotti - Best shirt manufacturer of recent times in my opinion, I really liked the embroided sponsors logo, and I thought the 2007/2008 shirt looked really really smart, and we at least looked like a higher division outfit.

Carbrini - Oh dear oh dear. Say no more. Very plain, very basic, smacks of lower division all over, prone to pulls, and the cheapest of cheap iron on sponsor sticker (and the carbrini logos on the sleeves of the away shirt).

Also disagree with having consistent colours etc. We have stuck with blue shirt white trim/blue shorts/white socks since 2004, and theres only so many times you can variate that. Subtle changes now and again whist maintaining the clubs colours and identity, give fans more of a reason to part with their £40.

I don't necessarily think having a nike/adidas kit is the answer, however the sooner we get rid of carbrini as shirt manufacturer the better in my opinion

£40 for a poor quality shirt is annoying as most fans are going to buy it anyway, its taking advantage of supporters. Wouldn't mind if the shirt was of decent quality and im sure they would sell a hell of a lot more.

Bristol R made quite a lot off shirt sales simply for having the record company SKINT sponsor them when they were flat broke if i remember correctly.