Penney's Gone

Yet another mistake from the powers that be because no mater who comes in they won't be everyones choice, they'll get the usual two months before the usual claptrap starts up about 'not having passion' and 'no plan B'. How will we cope when Gannon turns on the main stand mob? When Butt loses his first 3 games?

The circle starts again.

Not for you though, you have only been to 1 game havn't you? :lol:

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I've waded through 20 pages of this before I've stuck me two pennorth in. Opinion is divided, naturally. There was always going to be Penney In on one side and Penney out on the other, and we're all entitled to our own opinions. What really gets up my rather considerable bugle is those who have already written off next season before this one is over and we don't even know who the new manager is yet. It'll be bad enough when he does arrive and those who don't want him here will make it known, but the poor sod hasn't a chance already with some.

With Penney's total lack of an attacking mindset, defending 0-0s from the start (even defending 1-0 and 2-1 defeats in some cases), increasingly baffling substitutions and no apparent enthusiasm, it simply rubbed off on the players resulting in bloody awful football which a great many found too much to stomach. Not too surprisingly, they voted with their feet.

I think TTA timed his departure about right. With just one game to go, we've nowt to lose. We might just entice back some of those lost fans; look at how many on here are renewing STs the minute DP is on his bike. If plenty do come back on Saturday, it gives us a positive end to the season with renewed hope for the next one. Had TTA left it until after Saturday, it would have taken just one more typical DP performance to lose even more fans and faith, which could have been even harder to overcome with no footy to judge it on for the next 3 months.

I've said elsewhere that we probably have the makings of a decent squad with the right man in charge, who can motivate and show passion with more than a teeny weeny bit of attacking know how. Yes, we've got some pretty poor acquisitions who need to find new clubs, but a new broom with the right mentality could, and should, get more out of what we've got. Add 3 new faces in the right positions and who knows.

We all have our favourites for the job, but for God's sake, whoever it is, get behind him and give him a chance. We did with Penney at first and, let's be honest, most (I think) thought it was a good appointment. Most forgave him for poor results when we had virtually a full team injured. The tide only turned when it was becoming more and more obvious that we were going nowhere fast, and that tide gathered momentum the worse it got.

Whether it's Gannon, Butt, Mancini or Father Christmas, don't write him or the club off until you have cause to. Everyone deserves a chance to shine, but they have to be given the opportunity first.

OK, I've waded through 20 pages of this before I've stuck me two pennorth in. Opinion is divided, naturally. There was always going to be Penney In on one side and Penney out on the other, and we're all entitled to our own opinions. What really gets up my rather considerable bugle is those who have already written off next season before this one is over and we don't even know who the new manager is yet. It'll be bad enough when he does arrive and those who don't want him here will make it known, but the poor sod hasn't a chance already with some.

With Penney's total lack of an attacking mindset, defending 0-0s from the start (even defending 1-0 and 2-1 defeats in some cases), increasingly baffling substitutions and no apparent enthusiasm, it simply rubbed off on the players resulting in bloody awful football which a great many found too much to stomach. Not too surprisingly, they voted with their feet.

I think TTA timed his departure about right. With just one game to go, we've nowt to lose. We might just entice back some of those lost fans; look at how many on here are renewing STs the minute DP is on his bike. If plenty do come back on Saturday, it gives us a positive end to the season with renewed hope for the next one. Had TTA left it until after Saturday, it would have taken just one more typical DP performance to lose even more fans and faith, which could have been even harder to overcome with no footy to judge it on for the next 3 months.

I've said elsewhere that we probably have the makings of a decent squad with the right man in charge, who can motivate and show passion with more than a teeny weeny bit of attacking know how. Yes, we've got some pretty poor acquisitions who need to find new clubs, but a new broom with the right mentality could, and should, get more out of what we've got. Add 3 new faces in the right positions and who knows.

We all have our favourites for the job, but for God's sake, whoever it is, get behind him and give him a chance. We did with Penney at first and, let's be honest, most (I think) thought it was a good appointment. Most forgave him for poor results when we had virtually a full team injured. The tide only turned when it was becoming more and more obvious that we were going nowhere fast, and that tide gathered momentum the worse it got.

Whether it's Gannon, Butt, Mancini or Father Christmas, don't write him or the club off until you have cause to. Everyone deserves a chance to shine, but they have to be given the opportunity first.

Bang on the money for me! Well said.

With Penney's total lack of an attacking mindset, defending 0-0s from the start (even defending 1-0 and 2-1 defeats in some cases),

<snip>

with Penney at first and, let's be honest, most (I think) thought it was a good appointment. Most forgave him for poor results when we had virtually a full team injured. The tide only turned when it was becoming more and more obvious that we were going nowhere fast, and that tide gathered momentum the worse it got.

See this is the problem outers won't accept. It became SURVIVAL football after October. Few was complaining about it in the 1st two months. But as you rightly point out, other circumstances came into play. TEN!!! Yes, TEN potential 1st teamers injured. Then we couldn't get a game on the pitch. There's umpteen factors that led to us being stuck in a battle with 4 games in hand of everyone else and having to resort to survival tactics...and they worked! Not pretty but thank god we stayed up...

People don't want this to get in the way of a good old witchhunt though! Most worryingly this time, over the Moore saga, the most vocal seemed to be those who don't go anyway and were repeating the stuff of others. Quite pathetic.

Edited by boundaryblue80

The correct decision has been made in my eyes. The man produced the worst football I have seen in my time supporting Latics, even the team of Salt, Innnes and Rickers was much more entertaining that the :censored: we have had to endure this season. Add to the fact that this is the poorest standard league 1 since we came down in 97 it didn't bode well for the man.

I wanted him out since Wycombe away when his negativity cost us the 3 points. He had plenty of times to get the fans on his side with the amount of teams who were there for the taking but time and time again he would take a forward off and tell the players to head for the corner flag with 10 minutes to go, in some cases being 2 goals clear aswell. Stockport away was probably the worst performance I have ever witnessed in my time supporting Latics he refused to take the game to a team, who quite frankly, are a mess. We should of been soundly beaten had it not been for 3 or 4 class saves from Flahavan.

Yeovil was the last straw for me he sent a team out there to get a 0-0 and then at 1-0 down was quite happy to defend it. Never mind that half the players didn't give a toss about the game and were probably already looking forward to their hols etc.

He made some terrible signings Brill, Goodwin Colbeck and Furman to name some and the last 2 having cost a combined £100k!! I think only really Abbott and :censored: ( and he ended up dropping :censored: over a stupid xmas fight) were a success, although I did like the look of Holdsworth before he got injured and Guy did well and scored a few vital goals. But on the whole his signings were very poor.

Defensivly we were sound enough but we should be when we always had 6 men back. I can appreciate the art of defending but I would also appreciate seeng the art of attacking every now and again, I dont expect us to be world beaters but as a force going forward this season we have been emmbarrasing to say the least.

Saying that I was expecting to have to put up with him next season (to start with at least) so I applaud the owners for taking this decision.

whoever it is . . . give him some decent cash to spend please :wink:

Aint gonna happen buddy. Not unless we sell sh*t loads of season tickets which wont happen.

As a big time Penney outer I am not naive enough to think that a new manager will get us in the play offs straight away or even make us promotion candidates. What I would be more than happy with though is seeing someone play some bloody football even if we are mid table.

Dont expect loads of cash though!

See this is the problem outers won't accept. It became SURVIVAL football after October. Nobody was complaining about it in the 1st two months. But as you rightly point out, other circumstances came into play. TEN!!! Yes, TEN potential 1st teamers injured. Then we couldn't get a game on the pitch. There's umpteen factors that led to us being stuck in a battle with 4 games in hand of everyone else and having to resort to survival tactics...and they worked! Not pretty but thank god we stayed up...

People don't want this to get in the way of a good old witchhunt though! Most worryingly this time, over the Moore saga, the most vocal seemed to be those who don't go anyway and were repeating the stuff of others. Quite pathetic.

Absolute rubbish. No mention of all his poor signings. I'm a long time Penney outer and will give the new manager plenty of time as long as he plays 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or even 5-4-1............. not 6-3-1 like Penney was often operating. It was crap football and crap signings which nearly relegated us.

Unfortunately so. :(

I'm actually so sick of the idea of us rebuilding yet again that I think the new manager should be given minimal (or no) flexibility in regards to players he brings in and has to work with the squad that's already in place. Rather than him ripping up this squad, bringing in his own with his own philosophy, failing within a year and leaving us in the same situation as now (or worse) with less money.

Ditto but with all the crap we accumulated in the summer and the :censored: we're left with from past seasons I'm glad we're going to be rebuilding. On the other side of it we seemingly have feck all money to rebuild with.

See this is the problem outers won't accept. It became SURVIVAL football after October. Few was complaining about it in the 1st two months. But as you rightly point out, other circumstances came into play. TEN!!! Yes, TEN potential 1st teamers injured. Then we couldn't get a game on the pitch. There's umpteen factors that led to us being stuck in a battle with 4 games in hand of everyone else and having to resort to survival tactics...and they worked! Not pretty but thank god we stayed up...

It started before October. First game of the season against what has proved to be a pi** poor stockport side we couldnt score. Brentford away was poor, drew with a great goal but other than that didnt have a sniff. Swindon at home we got lucky with a last minute flucky crossfrom Lee and Bristol rovers away was garbage and fans were already shouting at Penny who was stood 20 yards up the touchline, oh and yeovil at home..

Guest FyldeBlue

Typical comments from this poster, likes to repeat what he said 8 months ago, then of course he says many things and perhaps others have noticed he sits on the middle of the fence, swinging both ways.

Always the same old drivel, always the super journo .... in his mind !...and no one else's, whatever decision made by the TTA would be totally the wrong one in his eyes,and yes this is the very same guy who openly accused Sean Jarvis ( who was one of the best in my opinion and I genuinely believe many others agreed) ...yet BB80 still insists that Sean took money from the club under whatever circumstances he likes to dig up from his own murky depths.

For the record Sean Jarvis and Neil Joy did in fact actually pay Chris Moore a real £1 coin for the rights to the club and of course it's debts and the mysterious 'black hole'....which Sean Jarvis in his capacity of P.R.M with the club had absolutely no access to under any circumstances.

Edited by FyldeBlue

with 4 games in hand of everyone else and having to resort to survival tactics

With 4 games in hand we had ample opportunity to make up the ground with some decent football instead of "rabbits in the headlights stuff".

We blew it, plain & simple and THEN had to resort to survival tactics. That's how I saw it anyway.

With 4 games in hand we had ample opportunity to make up the ground with some decent football instead of "rabbits in the headlights stuff".

We blew it, plain & simple and THEN had to resort to survival tactics. That's how I saw it anyway.

With 4 games in hand we then started to face teams in February like Norwich, Leeds and Colchester...in March, with 4 games in hand, we "THEN had to resort to survival tactics."

Typical comments from this poster, likes to repeat what he said 8 months ago, then of course he says many things and perhaps others have noticed he sits on the middle of the fence, swinging both ways.

Always the same old drivel, always the super journo .... in his mind !...and no one else's, whatever decision made by the TTA would be totally the wrong one in his eyes,and yes this is the very same guy who openly accused Sean Jarvis ( who was one of the best in my opinion and I genuinely believe many others agreed) ...yet BB80 still insists that Sean took money from the club under whatever circumstances he likes to dig up from his own murky depths.

For the record Sean Jarvis and Neil Joy did in fact actually pay Chris Moore a real £1 coin for the rights to the club and of course it's debts and the mysterious 'black hole'....which Sean Jarvis in his capacity of P.R.M with the club had absolutely no access to under any circumstances.

That is the last thing I would accuse him of. Being wrong, hey we all are. But he stood up, nigh on on his own with the Ronnie situation - hardly what you are accusing him of. Again right or wrong is opinion, but nigh on on his own.

The Jarvis and Joy :censored:, i know nothing of so won't comment.

Just a thought on the paying Penney off scenario - is it just a coincidence that he's just clocked up a calendar year?

I'm thinking along the lines of him being guaranteed a year but with a performance target that enables his dismissal - without compensation - after that?

The point being that his salary may not be a big hole in next years budget after all.

Just thought I'd a add bit more conjecture as there's not enough on here. :blind:

"likes to repeat what he said 8 months ago"

"swinging both ways"

Nowt like contradicting yourself in the same sentence.

That SJ thing really bothers you, doesn't it. TTA were right to offload him. Wrong not to replace him though...but hey, that's the wrong topic. Have you come on this topic to actually discuss it...or carry on with this rather childish tripe you roll out? Grow up little man!

I'm joining the 'can't be bothered to read through the rest of the thread' brigade. Therefore, don't know if anyone has already mentioned this - but do you think the decision to publicly not play Eaves due to his contract negotiations may have added to the club parting company with him? I only say this because Eaves has now signed a 5-year contract...? Just a thought and probably way off the mark!

Cant even get the v sign right....

v sign????

He's indicating the maximum goals they're allowed to score in any given game....

I don't want us to be starting from scratch every year, i don't want us to have a revolving door policy with the manager....but not wanting to sack the manager every year shouldn't be an excuse for keeping on a manager who isn't showing any sign of being able to put a decent team together. The final straw for me was the Millwall game, with his "excellent performance,we really set the standard today" comments after the game. We couldn't pass it forward, never mind create any kind of chance in the final third, and he seemed to think that was something to aim for.another season of that and God knows how low the attendances would have been. As for giving him time....time to do what? Spend some more money on 4th division rejects like Colbeck? Stifle whatever talent's coming through from the youth team with his negativity? I've not seen any signs whatsoever of his supposed genius for finding talent in the lower leagues. When you look at the players who've done well this season, it's usually in spite of, rather than because of, his management. He initially released Gregan (thank Christ no-one came in for him or we'd be down now);Stephens only got thrown into the first team because of injuries;you can't help wondering whether his stroppy handling of the Eaves situation was the final straw.

Fingers crossed it's well-timed, and there's a surge in season ticket sales over the weekend. And good luck to whoever takes over.

He's indicating the maximum goals they're allowed to score in any given game....

I don't want us to be starting from scratch every year, i don't want us to have a revolving door policy with the manager....but not wanting to sack the manager every year shouldn't be an excuse for keeping on a manager who isn't showing any sign of being able to put a decent team together. The final straw for me was the Millwall game, with his "excellent performance,we really set the standard today" comments after the game. We couldn't pass it forward, never mind create any kind of chance in the final third, and he seemed to think that was something to aim for.another season of that and God knows how low the attendances would have been. As for giving him time....time to do what? Spend some more money on 4th division rejects like Colbeck? Stifle whatever talent's coming through from the youth team with his negativity? I've not seen any signs whatsoever of his supposed genius for finding talent in the lower leagues. When you look at the players who've done well this season, it's usually in spite of, rather than because of, his management. He initially released Gregan (thank Christ no-one came in for him or we'd be down now);Stephens only got thrown into the first team because of injuries;you can't help wondering whether his stroppy handling of the Eaves situation was the final straw.

Fingers crossed it's well-timed, and there's a surge in season ticket sales over the weekend. And good luck to whoever takes over.

Bang on the money

I've tried to read everything on this but dunno if it has been mentioned...

As per last year, I'm wondering if the 'timing' has happened to give the future manager a match at the end of the season to see his new charges in action. I'd keep your eyes peeled in the main stand, i wouldnt be surprised if the new manager was sat there watching...

One things for sure - if we get a game like Walsall last year i'll be very happy! (not that i'm not rather please anyway!)

Spot on. Especially the highlighted bit.

TATEMENT REGARDING DAVE PENNEY

The League Managers Association (LMA) can confirm that Dave Penney and Oldham Athletic Football Club have parted company.

The vastly experienced Penney has managed over 400 games in professional football and enjoyed great success at Doncaster Rovers and Darlington before joining Oldham in April 2009.

Towards the end of what has proved to be a very competitive season in the Coca-Cola League One, Penney was shortlisted for the manager of the month award for April.

Prior to his appointment at Oldham, it was as manager of Doncaster that Penney really earned his reputation whilst guiding the club from non-league football through two successive promotions and firmly establishing the club in the Football League where they are now a Championship club. Penney is also a holder of the highest technical qualification, the UEFA Pro License.

Penney stated: "It is obviously very frustrating to be leaving Oldham but I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with the club. I would like to offer my sincere thanks to each of the players and my staff, all of whom have been 100% behind me. Finally, I would like to wish the club every success in the future."

Commenting on Penney's departure, LMA Chief Executive, Richard Bevan, said; "It is disappointing that Dave Penney and Oldham have parted ways after only one season. Dave is an experienced manager, particularly in the Football League, and I would expect that a manager of his standing will return to management in the not too distant future."