Penney's Gone

If you look at it as a package how does Penney stand? In my opinion.

Results: Very poor, it is likely we will finish one point above relegation

Crowds: very poor, lowest in 20 years at one point.

Football: awful not attractive and hardly effective

Signings: Terrible.

Team morale: The team did look quite upbeat and it did not appear that Penney had lost the dressing room.

Development: A lot of youngsters who have looked promising recently have gone backwards this season.

1/6

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at it as a package how does Penney stand? In my opinion.

Results: Very poor, it is likely we will finish one point above relegation

Crowds: very poor, lowest in 20 years at one point.

Football: awful not attractive and hardly effective

Signings: Terrible.

Team morale: The team did look quite upbeat and it did not appear that Penney had lost the dressing room.

Development: A lot of youngsters who have looked promising recently have gone backwards this season.

1/6

Hmm:

Results: Good, kept us up. All you can ask a manager with little money.

Crowds: Very poor, due to next point so surely out of 5?

Football: Awful. Got better as players returned. He'd have played football and got leathered otherwise.

Signings: Some decent, some very poor. He signed the player of the season whether you want it or not.

Team morale: Some better than others. Attacking players, especially Taylor and Smalley looked downbeat.

Development: Not his job, but brought in a defender (alright Black had been in a bit before), striker and a midfielder in one season.

About half marks really.

Hmm:

Football: Awful. Got better as players returned. He'd have played football and got leathered otherwise.

Signings: Some decent, some very poor. He signed the player of the season whether you want it or not.

Team morale: Some better than others. Attacking players, especially Taylor and Smalley looked downbeat.

Development: Not his job, but brought in a defender (alright Black had been in a bit before), striker and a midfielder in one season.

About half marks really.

Results: Good, kept us up. All you can ask a manager with little money - I concur

Crowds: Low as expected. Recession, the "messiah" sacked, some unhappy at DP appointment followed with a League Two players budget, cancellations of games leaving times where 2 games came in a week (people choose 1 over other), many Tues night games on Champs League nights due to re-arranged games, poor weather, people choosing to go to away games over home ones as they prefer them etc. Many reasons for low crowds.

Football: Survival football. Agree with....Got better as players returned. He'd have played football and got leathered otherwise.

Signings: Some decent, some very poor. He signed the player of the season whether you want it or not - Spot on - Also signed 2nd player of the season Abbott too and arguably the catalyst for staying up, getting Guy in on loan.

Team morale: Was kept up throughout...the bottom could've fallen out of us but didn't and thus we stayed up

Development: Black much improved, Eaves, Stephens coming on. Found a way to make Lee function.

I'd say 3/5 personally.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Hmm:

About half marks really.

Gregan was the player of the season and he offered him a new contract if we're honest about it, rather than signed him. We got Gregan because he fell out with Dennis Wise so we should thank Wisey for that. Stephens won the other award and he was Sheridan's signing. The rest of them with the exeption of 14 goal main striker Abbott were awful.

I think we can expect more than to miss relegation by a point or at best four. There are teams with smaller budgets out there.

I wasn't a strong Penney outer but I think we all have to admit it wasn't good.

Bear in mind the injured players were often new signings with history's of injury problems/lack of assessments.

Obviously everyone knows the fact Penney has gone partly due to crowds.

What is less known is that we had the 5th worse drop before the Charlton game though, obviously.

Hereford..United........ Lge 2........ -36%

Darlington.................Lge 2........ -35%

Middlesbrough..........Champ......-30%

Stockport County.......Lge 1........ -30%

Oldham Athletic.........Lge 1........ -19%

Edited by singe

Obviously everyone knows the fact Penney has gone partly due to crowds.

What is less known is that we had the 5th worse drop before the Charlton game though, obviously.

Hereford..United........ Lge 2........ -36%

Darlington.................Lge 2........ -35%

Middlesbrough..........Champ......-30%

Stockport County.......Lge 1........ -30%

Oldham Athletic.........Lge 1........ -19%

We could start throwing in unemployment levels and alsorts in next...give a realtime picture on it all...yes, struggling has naturally decreased crowds but there are dozens of circumstances for it...on another post the other day I showed it was approx 600 we were down on last season. It's feasable that a good portion of those have simply lost the financial means.

Now Penney has gone, will Rob Purdie ever play for the club?

I'd hope so. Glowing reputation springs to mind.

Then again that depends on if you think Penney's signings were wank or decent.

He does have utility written all over him though. I just hope it's more the James Milner type rather than the Phil Neville type.

• 1 year later...