• Philliskirk
    • Gannon
    • Butt
    • Magilton
    • Hill
    • Simpson
    • Speed
    • Other
  2. 2. Failing that, who would be your second choice?

• Gray
    • Duxbury
    • Gregan
    • Ritchie
    • Bunn
    • Philliskirk
    • Gannon
    • Butt
    • Magilton
    • Hill
    • Simpson
    • Speed
    • Other

John Barnes, he's managed internationally, has managed Celtic in the SPL. A bit unlucky with Tranmere this season, but overall a top manager who can attract good players and as a former England international legend and Liverpool legend he probably has a lot of contacts in the transfer market. I reckon we could get him too.

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Barnes, he's managed internationally, has managed Celtic in the SPL. A bit unlucky with Tranmere this season, but overall a top manager who can attract good players and as a former England international legend and Liverpool legend he probably has a lot of contacts in the transfer market. I reckon we could get him too.

DONT JOKE

Heard today that Gannon actually demands a fair bit in wages - wonder how true it is cause by the sounds of it we are shopping in poundland next season

Yeah, and he'd get them to hold and give,and do it at the right time.

Seriously, don't even joke about it.

Bunn, for me because he is Latics through and through!

That's what we need somebody who care's about the club like we do.

Like what they have at Leeds with Grayson.

Gannon would be my second choice based on his track record.

Anything is better than Dave (I am out a job, dont give a monkey's, with my bad signings) Penney! :ranting:

I cant see Richie coming back at alll. He made some comments mid week about hard the job was and the expectations of the fans (hasnt he said we are living in the past before now?). We see him as a hero and while he obviosuley enjoyed his time hear i dont think he feels that much affinity with the club and id be mega surprised if he came back

Im not sure on Gannon yeah he did a decent job with sod all at stockport but that's it - other than that i dont know too much about him except hes prone to the odd crazy comment with some of our over sensative fans not sure how that would go down.

0 chance of Hill no point putting him on there

Magilton - cant see him coing up north

Coleman possible - but would he be able to get another championship club? his form with coventry wasnt brilliant

Southgate - nah cant see it some lower league championship club will take him probably

Bunn - possible but id rather have an experienced 1st team manager with a track record of building a team - still Dowie hadnt much 1st team management experience and OK i know he had cash and harbin look what happened

Simpson - possible when did he last manage a team?

Dons tin hat

30th April 2010 - Shrewsbury! :wink:

The point ultimately remains though that we have had 'experienced' managers in Talbot, Penney and Moore, all with more than one promotion on their CV's, and all three of them failed miserably.

But at the end of the day we need to pick the best from those interested, my ultimate point is do not be afraid to take a punt on someone because of a lack of experience,you only have to look at Eddie Howe at Bournemouth to show that it can work.

And with Latics, it has worked alot more often than it hasnt, in fact I would say the only time giving the job to an inexperienced candidate hasnt worked is Sharp. Frizzell, Royle, Ritchie, Dowie and Shez were not exactly disasterous appointments were they.

The point ultimately remains though that we have had 'experienced' managers in Talbot, Penney and Moore, all with more than one promotion on their CV's, and all three of them failed miserably.

But at the end of the day we need to pick the best from those interested, my ultimate point is do not be afraid to take a punt on someone because of a lack of experience,you only have to look at Eddie Howe at Bournemouth to show that it can work.

And with Latics, it has worked alot more often than it hasnt, in fact I would say the only time giving the job to an inexperienced candidate hasnt worked is Sharp. Frizzell, Royle, Ritchie, Dowie and Shez were not exactly disasterous appointments were they.

One more season with moore at the helm & i think we would of gone up. Granted he didnt please the fans etc, but at least we scored goals and he by no means failed. Shez had alot of his moores squad and they got us up to the play-offs.

Talbot and penney - less said about either of them.

3 missing from the list who have applied (according to chief security fella in the paddock) Ince, Jewell and Coleman. Not saying they have or I want them but just more names to chuck into the hat!

worded that very badly and contradicted myself as I obviuosly was saying they have applied... Apparently! Can see wages and the budget being a problem if it's true though!

Thers should be an option 'It doesn't matter who gets it. They won't get given the time by either the fans or the board and will be gone in twelve months anyway unless they can lead us to promotion playing all out attacking, sexy football.'

Out of work for 2 years, only 45? might be first in q?

Did well at Bradford, superbly well at Wigan but was awful at Sheff Wed and Derby. That suggests he's better at smaller clubs but has always had decent budgets wherever he's been. Not sure what it is but summat tells me his appointment would be wrong.

gannon, failing that which we will then bunn :D

Paul Jewel now theres name. I hate him probably irrartionally and hated the way he got plastic latics promoted but he has done the business at this level. I wouldnt be too unhappy to see him here. I do wonder what this budgegt is going to leave us with tho. Having had such a crap season anyone who comes in should get a bit of a grace period I would hope.

Paul Jewel now theres name. I hate him probably irrartionally and hated the way he got plastic latics promoted but he has done the business at this level. I wouldnt be too unhappy to see him here. I do wonder what this budgegt is going to leave us with tho. Having had such a crap season anyone who comes in should get a bit of a grace period I would hope.

paul jewel would be good but we have to be realistic. we could never afford to appoint some like him. we will struggle to attract managers to us.

paul jewel would be good but we have to be realistic. we could never afford to appoint some like him. we will struggle to attract managers to us.

True but if there has been anywhere between 20-40 people enquiring about the post people must have some interest in taking over

True but if there has been anywhere between 20-40 people enquiring about the post people must have some interest in taking over

but who says there managers of real quailty ? there could be 15 - 20 of them conference managers hoping for a chance in the football league ?

I cant imagine the likes of Jewel to be made of money and he doesnt seem to have had a snif of a job in the past 18 months. Nobobody in the prem is going to touch him and i cant think of many teams in the Championship that would either apart from maybe the bottom end clubs.

There are a hell of a lot of managers out of work. People like Jewel, Coleman, Roeder, Southgate, Ince etc might have to start realising they have to lower there expectations and start building there reputations again with a smaller club. Simon Davey went to Darlington the other week and is now managing in the confrence, it was only 2 years ago he had barnsley in a FA cup semi final. Peter Taylor went to Stevenage last year to get himself in the shop window.

There are more managers out of work than there are league clubs. Only the top managers can be picky and they are the managers that wont need to apply for jobs.

This makes interesting reading.

In her new book 'Football Management', the university's Dr Sue Bridgewater relates results to average wage bills and calculates that the most consistent over-achiever in the five seasons up to 2008 was Pulis's final League position, for instance, was regularly between six and seven places higher than his team were in a league table based on wages (which cannot all be down to long throw-ins). It is the sort of comparison that tends to appeal to clubs of a certain level looking for a new manager. Chairmen should therefore note that Paul Jewell, unemployed for the past 16 months since leaving Derby County, is in the top six.

Now you are scaring me - I was just about to renew then you mention Paul Jewell who and not quite sure why I cannot abided....think he slagged us off years ago and I have never forgiven him. I think it should be someone who has some passion for the clb and not just looing for a wage.