Mobile Phones

You can't copy and paste without a third party app.

You cannot multi-task, at least not on current iPhones from out of the box. For example, if I wanna listen to music, while composing an email then half way through, open the web browser, check the BBC headlines, then quickly switch to my Blackberry Messenger send a message to a contact, then open up a game of poker, switch back to my music to change song, then swtich back to poker to realise the game has just folded me poker Kings 'cause I didn't respond in time, then switch back to blackberry messenger, reply to my conversation then go back to my original email and finish it as I left off completely in tact, the check Facebook whilst all that other stuff is running in the background, I can.

Multi-tasking is advantage of having a smartphone. Apple have only just announced an OS upgrade that will allow it.

In fact, it's all listed here: http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2010/02/why...iphone-for.html

You can copy and paste on the iPhone without any additional App and it's an incredibly intuitive system to do so.

I accept that the lack of a true multi-task feature is a downside.

However from your example above - I can do that on my iPhone with the exception of the Poker. If I part write an email and then close email to change my Facebook status then, upon returning to email, the part-composed email will still be there. As it would if I had gone and read the BBC website (the full website too, in crystal clear through an incredibly easy to use browser).

Further, on the iPhone you can use your handsfree microphone to control your music, including skipping, volume and more. You can also double tap the 'real' button which pops up a simple iPod menu allowing for control of your music without exiting the App you are currently using.

I'm not deluded. The iPhone has several weaknesses, only one of which you've actually listed, both to it's hardware, software and also the frustrating limitations of iTunes.

However the common complaints - such as a lack of basic 'multi-tasking' - and arguments that the Blackberry is a more 'business' orientated phone are simply unfair. Using email on iPhones, for example, is as simple as setting up your user name and password with the exchange server and then also with the webmail server. It takes even a technophobe all of 2 minutes to do, tops. Compare this with the hours I've spent dealing with Blackberry's and their cumbersome method for dealing with email and I know which I'd rather have!

It's all opinions and there's features both Blackberry's and Androids have that I'd love to see on the iPhone. I just find the blinded/resolute anti-iPhone stance a strange one.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what irritates most people about the iPhone is how much other people bang on about them. Of which I'm quite guilty of. Only because it's a brilliant gadget for my lifestyle, and always has the ability to surprise me even a year after I've owned it. Lately, the streetview function had me agog, I didn't know it had that on the maps app.

I suppose it's horses for courses. If you use a camera heavily, or are really arsed about a crystal clear reception when talking on the blower, you can pick out any number of weaknesses. But for the way it links into things like music (bluetooth streaming in the car, remote controlling my iTunes from downstairs, seemlessly linking into my wifi at home) I just don't think there's a better option. Yep, there's many an apple fanboy, but with pretty decent reasoning I reckon.

By the way, you could get started on the whole Jobs-against Flash and how Apple rip you off when you want an upgrade, but basically they're exploiting the rabid must-have-apple-everything crowd, which is fine by me. The patient among us, like me who waited until the handset was free with a reasonable tariff (£35 a month, reduced by a third thanks to O2 friends and family connections) don't seem to get as ripped off.

I think what irritates most people about the iPhone is how much other people bang on about them. Of which I'm quite guilty of. Only because it's a brilliant gadget for my lifestyle, and always has the ability to surprise me even a year after I've owned it. Lately, the streetview function had me agog, I didn't know it had that on the maps app.

I suppose it's horses for courses. If you use a camera heavily, or are really arsed about a crystal clear reception when talking on the blower, you can pick out any number of weaknesses. But for the way it links into things like music (bluetooth streaming in the car, remote controlling my iTunes from downstairs, seemlessly linking into my wifi at home) I just don't think there's a better option. Yep, there's many an apple fanboy, but with pretty decent reasoning I reckon.

By the way, you could get started on the whole Jobs-against Flash and how Apple rip you off when you want an upgrade, but basically they're exploiting the rabid must-have-apple-everything crowd, which is fine by me. The patient among us, like me who waited until the handset was free with a reasonable tariff (£35 a month, reduced by a third thanks to O2 friends and family connections) don't seem to get as ripped off.

I don't 'preach' iPhone to anyone - just geek-out when I'm with other mates who have one.

Also, if you check with O2 you might be able to reduce your price plan after about 6months I think it was... I'm now on unlimited texts and 100 minutes for £30 a month... less money and more stuff. Aces.

haha

As long as I'm looking at the screen I'm as fast as I ever was on my Nokia's... I will admit that the touch-screen's a bugger if you're trying to text and walk.

replace the L with an N and its a similar story ...

I think what irritates most people about the iPhone is how much other people bang on about them.

Thing is, it's easy to understand why people bang on about their iPhones - When you've spent £400+ on your handset you're hardly likely to go out and buy a rival phone to compare it against. Nor are you likely to admit to yourself that you may not have the best handset around.

I like the 3Gs iPhone a lot. I've had the chance to use one for a while and it does the job well. However, I think the HTC Desire is a much better phone, and has a lot more apps available - almost all of them free.

The original HTC Touch HD is still a tremendous phone and more compatible with pc software and pop3 emailing than any phone I've come across, so I'd expect the HD2 to be a cracking phone.

I'm currently trialling the Samsung i8910 HD, and despite not being a fan of Symbian operating systems I am starting to really like the phone. It has a brilliant 8mp camera, rapid internet access, superb HD media playback, is quite an easy phone to use, and has quite a lot of decent free apps available to it.

It's all about what you want from a phone I suppose, and everyones requirements are different, so the only thing you can do is read the reviews on all the phones and make your own mind up. I'm delighted to be able to load my (free) N-Drive satnav on to the Samsung, rather than go out and buy a TomTom, and the free jukebox app that allows me to access lyrics and album covers for all my tunes at no cost is way better than carrying my ipod around. I might even end up keeping the i8910HD, which isn't something I considered when I had the iPhone.

Unless of course the new 4g is much improved.

Buy what suits your needs. Not what everyone says is fashionable.

After having my HTC Desire for about a week and a half now I am still deep in smite. Fully customisable, sat nav by default through google maps, integrated my gmail, calendar, docs, dropbox, flickr, facebook, twitter - sync'd all my contacts with their social media pages, all the obligatory spirit level, unit conversion, london underground, urbanspoon, atm finder, barcode scanner, product finder, shazam, traintimes, weather and other apps you download when you get a smartphone. None of these have cost me a penny. The inbuilt media player does the job and there are others to download if I like. I currently have a 4gb sd card in but can upgrade to 32gb when I get round to buying a 32gb sd card, 64gb too as soon as the cards are available. 5 megapixel camera with flash/light, taken a couple of photos and they are more than good enough quality for my needs.

Not bad for £30 a month, the phone was free, I get 600 minutes which I will use about 10 of, 3000 txts - this is classed as unlimited and 500mb data via 3G. Considering I can access the wireless network at work and home I won't touch the sides of 500mb.

Plus I can plug it into any PC running windows, linux or OSx without worrying about wiping all the data on it, I can mount it as a usb device and transfer data/music where ever I want. So far I have yet to come across anything that even comes close to being a downside.

I don't particularly dislike the iPhone per se. I just don't see why it's so much better than alternatives such as the Blackberry and HTC.

And all those fanboys who just have to buy the latest iCrap because it's so kewel and excellent - is there a worse bunch of pointlessly smug geeky freaks on the planet? Get over it you morons - you just bought it, you didn't :censored: invent it!

I don't particularly dislike the iPhone per se. I just don't see why it's so much better than alternatives such as the Blackberry and HTC.

And all those fanboys who just have to buy the latest iCrap because it's so kewel and excellent - is there a worse bunch of pointlessly smug geeky freaks on the planet? Get over it you morons - you just bought it, you didn't :censored: invent it!

meow!

After having my HTC Desire for about a week and a half now I am still deep in smite. Fully customisable, sat nav by default through google maps, integrated my gmail, calendar, docs, dropbox, flickr, facebook, twitter - sync'd all my contacts with their social media pages, all the obligatory spirit level, unit conversion, london underground, urbanspoon, atm finder, barcode scanner, product finder, shazam, traintimes, weather and other apps you download when you get a smartphone. None of these have cost me a penny. The inbuilt media player does the job and there are others to download if I like. I currently have a 4gb sd card in but can upgrade to 32gb when I get round to buying a 32gb sd card, 64gb too as soon as the cards are available. 5 megapixel camera with flash/light, taken a couple of photos and they are more than good enough quality for my needs.

Not bad for £30 a month, the phone was free, I get 600 minutes which I will use about 10 of, 3000 txts - this is classed as unlimited and 500mb data via 3G. Considering I can access the wireless network at work and home I won't touch the sides of 500mb.

Plus I can plug it into any PC running windows, linux or OSx without worrying about wiping all the data on it, I can mount it as a usb device and transfer data/music where ever I want. So far I have yet to come across anything that even comes close to being a downside.

See this I can respect... you're telling me why your phone's good for you without directly trying to say it's better than an iPhone. That's fair enough.

From my point of view my iPhone can do all you've just listed and I prefer it. :)

See this I can respect... you're telling me why your phone's good for you without directly trying to say it's better than an iPhone. That's fair enough.

From my point of view my iPhone can do all you've just listed and I prefer it. :)

Aren't they tied into one pc like the ipod?

I didn't know that, thought the Nazpple corp had disabled this.

I've managed it a few times. It's not as userfriendly as a BB but it's effective.

Plus, to be honest, I have about 20 memory sticks and a gmail account so I don't really need it.

Aren't they tied into one pc like the ipod?

This has always been a bit of a misnomer. My understanding is that your iPod / iPhone is tied to your Apple ID. Essentially you are allowed to authorise your Apple ID on 3 computers. What this means is that all your purchases will be transferred between the two and older purchases (that you may have lost) will automatically be downloaded from iTunes store. I have used my iPod nano across 2 computers and am about to test if my iPhone will work on asecond PC when I have replaced my stolen MacBook with a shiny new MacBook Pro....

As a customer of Orange from their first day of trading, I get a fair amount of 'loyalty' bonuses, which means I got a free HTC Touch, unlimited calls to any network or landline, unlimited texts, unlimited mobile internet, phone insurance, and my home broadband package for £21.95 per month. I have also recently had 4 phones from Orange which I have trialled and sent back in anticipation of my next 18 month contract.

Orange aren't the best network, but the deal they give me is worth staying with them for. Anyone who is a longtime customer of any of the providers should be demanding similar deals - its all about speaking to the right people and letting them know who else is after your custom.

I've built a good relationship up with Orange, and now I just tell them I want to retain my package and ask what phones they can offer me free or cheap.

Ok haters, can u do this........... Iphone 3g, jailbroke. Downloaded MyWi from cydia or instalous, cant remember which, for free. I am now typing this on my laptop, in the car, using my phone as a dongle, for absochuffinlutely free. O2 contract gives me unlimited internet. Also means I am no longer constrained by the iPhone's lack of flash......

This is the best day of my life! Bit cramped in the car mind you......

Edited by BlueJazzer