Screw it all, lets enjoy ourselves

Been thinking this for a while, today's developments have made me post it.

Last season, a group of fans decided to make Norwich away into something a bit more than a usual away trip.

With a clutch of balloons and a smile on our faces, a cringeworthy performance on the pitch (except the emergence of Dale Stephens, butn I digress) was put to one side as we had a laugh and came up with some funny chants, and re-used older ones. And while I thought it was going to be a bit cheesy, throwing those balloons in the air when the players came out created a great visual.

It didn't go unnoticed. Walking back to the train station I overheard Norwich fans saying what great fans we were, and one or two letters appeared in the local paper praising us afterwards.

I say we take this a step further somehow, starting with the first game of the season, Tranmere away.

Perhaps a little group of fans could get together and come up with ideas, decide which away games to have these "events" at, club together to buy balloons/anything else we can think of, and spread the word about making following Latics across the country that much more special.

Many have commented that the buzz around supporting Oldham wasn't there last season, maybe this is one way to get that back. While we may not have the best team in the league this season, we can certainly try and have the best fans.

Last season, a group of fans decided to make Norwich away into something a bit more than a usual away trip.

With a clutch of balloons and a smile on our faces, a cringeworthy performance on the pitch (except the emergence of Dale Stephens, butn I digress) was put to one side as we had a laugh and came up with some funny chants, and re-used older ones. And while I thought it was going to be a bit cheesy, throwing those balloons in the air when the players came out created a great visual.

It didn't go unnoticed. Walking back to the train station I overheard Norwich fans saying what great fans we were, and one or two letters appeared in the local paper praising us afterwards.

I say we take this a step further somehow, starting with the first game of the season, Tranmere away.

Perhaps a little group of fans could get together and come up with ideas, decide which away games to have these "events" at, club together to buy balloons/anything else we can think of, and spread the word about making following Latics across the country that much more special.

Many have commented that the buzz around supporting Oldham wasn't there last season, maybe this is one way to get that back. While we may not have the best team in the league this season, we can certainly try and have the best fans.

I'll be cheering on from Turkey, good idea though...

Anything that lifts us out of this doom and gloom mode we seem to be trapped in is a goer for me.

its a good idea i think, i was at norwich and it was brilliant, id like to see it more than once this season, one rule at norwich was too not boo at any time and do nothing but get behind the team, okay we played crap but the result didnt matter so much, following latics (especially away) for me is more than the result its about having a good day, last season we didnt do that, the fans should definately organise something. i think i could stretch to a few baloons

To be honest, all i want to see at games, is the atmosphere rise & good performances. It's dissapointing going game in game out with hardly anyone getting behind the team. So a little more atmosphere would be nice.

Indeed! I didn't get to as many away last season as I'd liked to but that and Colchester away were probably about the highlights for me...both defeats, but both thoroughly good days out. Was like in the late 90's when we were :censored: and you knew it but went and made it fun. We'd do that most games back then...sadly, ten years on, it was more important for some to go to Tranmere and be singing Penney out chants within 20 minutes of kick off. It's all in the mindset really...

This season we'll benefit at Tranmere from a manager change...however although we've no Norwich away to go to, whatever the equivalent is (Sheff Weds perhaps on a cold, wet Tuesday night) I hope we do the same as Norwich and the worm hasn't turned once again...

I heard we didn't get behind the team at Norwich. All had a good time but support for the team was lacking, as it has been for the last couple of seasons.

If you can do whats been posted AND get behind the team at the same time through thick and thin then I'm all for it. Sadly it's deemed cooler to mock Oldham.

I heard we didn't get behind the team at Norwich. All had a good time but support for the team was lacking, as it has been for the last couple of seasons.

If you can do whats been posted AND get behind the team at the same time through thick and thin then I'm all for it. Sadly it's deemed cooler to mock Oldham.

What?! We were singing about how we were going to win the league...:wink:

With a clutch of balloons and a smile on our faces.........

You mean you went and enjoyed an Oldham match?

Let's get this straight, you and several others, went to a game, had a laugh, didn't boo or moan, spent some time away from the missus and just generally let off a bit of steam away from the drudgery of the working week?

It'll never catch on. Sheer bloody pipedream.

It fustrated me towards the end of last season. All i heard 'PENNEY OUT' dont get me wrong, i was all for that but we could of still got behind the team? Just little things like that do my head in. Hope the atmosphere improves this season but thats unlikely.

Let's get this straight, you and several others, went to a game, had a laugh, didn't boo or moan, spent some time away from the missus and just generally let off a bit of steam away from the drudgery of the working week?

Typical OASIS day out :dntknw:

I took the missus with me. Absolutely loved it she did.

She's not coming again like, but there you go.