Travel thread

Was looking for somewhere cheap in August to go to and Berlin has turned out very nicely. 4* hotel and easyjet flights for four nights £340 quid for me and the Mrs to be. A week later we head out on our not so cheap honeymoon to Rhodes.

Whereabouts on Rhodes are you staying?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lipsrsealed2: that for a game of insurgents. I can handle being a tourist where they see you as a walking dollar sign, but not where their way to get the dollar is to kidnap you for a couple of years and saw your head off if the bill isn't paid. Might try Istanbul or Athens, anyone been?

I've been to Athens- it wasn't great. Its probably the worse city I've been in for pollution (although this was before the 2004 Olympics- when I think they sorted some of that out). Obviously if you like your monuments there's quite a bit to see (but its the sort of place where loads of tourists are doing exactly the same thing). There ain't a lot of beaches though, and its been a bit dodgy with unrest recently.

Have you thought about Egypt/Maldives/Seychelles (although I think at least one of the last two are in the middle of the wet season). Bahrain is supposed to be the most liberal of the Middle eastern states, but it might be a bit too much like Abu Dhabi for what you want

Jordan? Friends who have been to Petra have said it's brilliant (it certainly looks remarkable). I'm sure Amman would be interesting enough too if you need to pad out some more time.

It's a thought, as is Syria. I work with some senior Jordanian colleagues so I am fluent in how to deal with a problem in the local dialogue (throw arms round in the air and shout gutteral noises at increasing volume). I do love all the old historical stuff and there's a load of it there.

I've been to Athens- it wasn't great. Its probably the worse city I've been in for pollution (although this was before the 2004 Olympics- when I think they sorted some of that out). Obviously if you like your monuments there's quite a bit to see (but its the sort of place where loads of tourists are doing exactly the same thing). There ain't a lot of beaches though, and its been a bit dodgy with unrest recently.

Have you thought about Egypt/Maldives/Seychelles (although I think at least one of the last two are in the middle of the wet season). Bahrain is supposed to be the most liberal of the Middle eastern states, but it might be a bit too much like Abu Dhabi for what you want

I am thinking that Athens in late June isn't ideal. As per above there would be no shortage of things for me to see there with the history and so on (especially as from my uni days I prefer my philosophy Greek Style) but the heat and smog would be a bit much, plus it will be heaving, as Northern Europeans go to hot cities at the time as sensible locals leave. Egypt is on the radar but again not at the moment. It's only a quick break on the excuse of having me visa renewed and I don't want to spend much money on them, and I'm not a beach holiday type of guy so the Maldives and Seychelles aren;t that appealling. Incidentally, I know what you mean about Barhain being liberal, but until they get here people don't ralise that Abu Dhabi and Dubai are like Sodom and Gommorah for the modern age.

It's a thought, as is Syria. I work with some senior Jordanian colleagues so I am fluent in how to deal with a problem in the local dialogue (throw arms round in the air and shout gutteral noises at increasing volume). I do love all the old historical stuff and there's a load of it there.

Plus you could always run around pretending you're Indiana Jones in the Last Crusade, which is always exciting.

All your suggestions have been heading West...is heading further East to Mumbai or elsewhere in India a possibility?

Not to mention ongoing strikes

Yeah, but I'm as tight as cramp and it makes it cheaper :wink:

Plus you could always run around pretending you're Indiana Jones in the Last Crusade, which is always exciting.

All your suggestions have been heading West...is heading further East to Mumbai or elsewhere in India a possibility?

It's starting to become a bit of a trek most of the places Eastwards. I do fancy Goa but probably for more than a few days.

Lindos - Had a lot of recommendations and a bit closer to home after heading to Oz last year.

Beautiful place. The recommendations thing suggests you haven't been before? It's worth the walk up to the Acropolis; I've never actually paid to get in, though (others I know have and said it's great - De_La_Vega for one, and I'm sure others on this board have also been). There are some excellent rooftop restaurants for those romantic evening meals.

If you're renting a car there's a lovely little village called Haraki about 15 mins away. The missus and I spent two weeks there a couple of years ago and we didn't want to come home.

Was looking for somewhere cheap in August to go to and Berlin has turned out very nicely. 4* hotel and easyjet flights for four nights £340 quid for me and the Mrs to be. A week later we head out on our not so cheap honeymoon to Rhodes.

Berlin as a city itself is really cheap. Some good places to visit too if you're into history. Even if you are not I would visit the Checkpoint Charlie museum to have a look at some of the contraptions people built to escape the east.

the Holocaust memorial is pretty spectacular and the museum underneath it is very moving (and free).

The Radio Tower is good for the view but expensive to go up and even pricier to eat/drink up the top.

I would recommend the Berlinerdom (cathedral) just up from it as a decent visit for the sole reason that you can climb up into the dome and as previously mentioned the East side Gallery at Kreuzberg (also free) has some amazing paintings. The Reichstag (also free) is a good tour with automated headphones directing you where to go (up).

If you want a wander out towards the zoo there is a good cafe with a boating lake, selling decent food called Cafe Am Neuen See.

Up towards the Brandenberg Gate are some big shops Aston Martin shops on the high street etc.

If all the above doesn't get the Mrs' juices flowing then take her here and she'll be the proverbial putty in your hands. http://www.fassbender-rausch.de/

For the man in you: You'll get to see guns, drink cheap good beer, see boobs on advertising boards, see some Hertha related stuff (they wear our colours).

Yeah, but I'm as tight as cramp and it makes it cheaper :wink:

It's starting to become a bit of a trek most of the places Eastwards. I do fancy Goa but probably for more than a few days.

Go to Sri Lanka.

If you wait a few months I'll see you in Vietnam.

F*ck it, let's go to Jamaica and get lean (bruv).

Beautiful place. The recommendations thing suggests you haven't been before? It's worth the walk up to the Acropolis; I've never actually paid to get in, though (others I know have and said it's great - De_La_Vega for one, and I'm sure others on this board have also been). There are some excellent rooftop restaurants for those romantic evening meals.

If you're renting a car there's a lovely little village called Haraki about 15 mins away. The missus and I spent two weeks there a couple of years ago and we didn't want to come home.

No I haven't but can't wait. I think I have head about Haraki before so will have to check it out. Already planning to go up the Acropolis early in the morning to avoid the August crowds. Cheers for the tips.

Berlin as a city itself is really cheap. Some good places to visit too if you're into history. Even if you are not I would visit the Checkpoint Charlie museum to have a look at some of the contraptions people built to escape the east.

the Holocaust memorial is pretty spectacular and the museum underneath it is very moving (and free).

The Radio Tower is good for the view but expensive to go up and even pricier to eat/drink up the top.

I would recommend the Berlinerdom (cathedral) just up from it as a decent visit for the sole reason that you can climb up into the dome and as previously mentioned the East side Gallery at Kreuzberg (also free) has some amazing paintings. The Reichstag (also free) is a good tour with automated headphones directing you where to go (up).

If you want a wander out towards the zoo there is a good cafe with a boating lake, selling decent food called Cafe Am Neuen See.

Up towards the Brandenberg Gate are some big shops Aston Martin shops on the high street etc.

If all the above doesn't get the Mrs' juices flowing then take her here and she'll be the proverbial putty in your hands. http://www.fassbender-rausch.de/

For the man in you: You'll get to see guns, drink cheap good beer, see boobs on advertising boards, see some Hertha related stuff (they wear our colours).

Cheers mate, I actually went on a history trip to Berlin when I was 17 and it really made me want to see the world. Can't wait to go back. The Mrs to be hasn't been but she's a history teacher so it's a cracking place to take her.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Cheers mate, I actually went on a history trip to Berlin when I was 17 and it really made me want to see the world. Can't wait to go back. The Mrs to be hasn't been but she's a history teacher so it's a cracking place to take her.

You'll love it then. I was going to suggest going to the Topogrophy of Terror (spelt wrong no doubt but you'll get the gist) but I thought I might be giving you a history overload.

That is really interesting it is just a load of open air boards on the old SS headquarters displaying information about the SS movements and going ons (again it is free).

The best thing about Berlin is how everything just works well. From the train between the airport and the centre to the restaurants.

If you go off the main streets you'll be able to get two good meals for well under 10 Euros.

I thought the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (or Unknown Rapist as the locals call it) in Berlin was really haunting, it's just a big bronze of a Russian soldier looking very much like he is about to kill someone, with a couple of fairly gay Soviet tanks either side. No exactly designed to make the Germans feel secure I felt

No I haven't but can't wait. I think I have head about Haraki before so will have to check it out. Already planning to go up the Acropolis early in the morning to avoid the August crowds. Cheers for the tips.

The Colussus of Rhodes is probably worth a trip (or is that what you mean by the Acropolis), given that it is one of the ancient wonders of the world (or the ruins thereof to be more precise). I don't remember much about it though.

We took a train when we went to Berlin, about 50 miles northwards, to visit an ex-concentration camp - Sachsenhausen (lots of movement between there and Auschwitz). It was an eerie and incredibly moving experience. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but to be honest, it wasn't mine either, until I got there. I'd definitely recommend anyone to visit if going to Berlin.

Oh, we also went to a club one night, but I can't remember much about it :grin:.

As many know I've travelled on a backpackers budget for 10 months, so if anyone would like advice on that just post up your questions and I'll be happy to help where possible.

On that trip I covered:

China

-- North to South down the eastern side of the country.

Hong Kong

Thailand

-- Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Surat Thani, Ko Tao, Ko Phangan and Ko Samui

--- Be careful here, the political situation is unstable.

Malaysia

-- Alor Setar, Georgetown, Kota Bharu, the Perhenthian islands, Ipoh, the Cameron Highlands, Kuala Lumpur and Melaka

Singapore

Australia

-- North to South from Cairns to Melbourne

New Zealand

-- Both islands from top to bottom

Fiji

-- Suva, Coral Coast and the Yasawas islands

--- Be careful here, the political situation is unstable.

USA

-- LA/Hollywood, Anaheim, San Diego, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Washington DC

Canada

-- From East to West

That's it. Plans to travel Europe or South America are on hold for the moment but hopefully I'll get those done within the next 5 years.

As above - any questions (I may have missed some places 'in between' so please ask) about anywhere feel free to post them up and I'll do my best for you. Anyone lucky enough to be going to any of those places I'm very very jealous!

Thailand is still one of the safest places on earth to visit. The Thais will welcome you with open arms. You'll be perfectly safe here as long as you don't walk around Udon Thani and Chiang Mai in "I Love The Democrats" t-shirts. :)

There is still a threat of trouble but no more so than anywhere else in the world. Please don't be put off by any negative publicity. It is highly unlikely that tourists will get caught up in any political unrest. The football season is also in full swing so, if you visit between now and October, you're guaranteed of catching a few games.

I'd also recommend trips to Cambodia and Singapore. Two countries that are extremely different but well worth visiting. Laos too should be on your list.

I have to say I was entirely unimpressed with the Berlin Holocaust memorial. It is simply a mish mash of purposely uneven, differently sized cuboids of concrete, supposed to symbolise chaos or something like that, though without being told that I'd say it's pretty impossible to deduce. There are no names, and IIRC there isn't even a plaque to show what it is commemorating.

I have to say I was entirely unimpressed with the Berlin Holocaust memorial. It is simply a mish mash of purposely uneven, differently sized cuboids of concrete, supposed to symbolise chaos or something like that, though without being told that I'd say it's pretty impossible to deduce. There are no names, and IIRC there isn't even a plaque to show what it is commemorating.

I thought that was a load of toss as well. Couldn't help but think that someone bought it out of an art catrlogue and then decided what it was meant to be about.

The Colussus of Rhodes is probably worth a trip (or is that what you mean by the Acropolis), given that it is one of the ancient wonders of the world (or the ruins thereof to be more precise). I don't remember much about it though.

He's on about the Acropolis in Lindos, where he's staying. The (site of) the Colossus is in Rhodes Town, by the harbour. Rhodes Town's definitely worth a trip if you have time. Lovely place.

Add to that who did the anti-vandalism covering and it's a belter.

And, oops, it's falling to bits in under five years.

I guess there isn't any plaque as they don't know what it is they are commemmorating. An attempted easing of German guilt? A tourist attraction?

I was genuinely moved when I saw the sign over the road with "Bar <----" written on it.

NB. Apparaently playing hide and seek is frowned upon.

Thailand is still one of the safest places on earth to visit. The Thais will welcome you with open arms. You'll be perfectly safe here as long as you don't walk around Udon Thani and Chiang Mai in "I Love The Democrats" t-shirts. :)

There is still a threat of trouble but no more so than anywhere else in the world. Please don't be put off by any negative publicity. It is highly unlikely that tourists will get caught up in any political unrest. The football season is also in full swing so, if you visit between now and October, you're guaranteed of catching a few games.

I'd also recommend trips to Cambodia and Singapore. Two countries that are extremely different but well worth visiting. Laos too should be on your list.

I was there in the military coup in 05, Sat in bar just off the Ko Shan - George Bush was on talking about it and the pictures were pretty worrying, People were ringing home and taking calls boasting about how "crazy" (In annoying southern accents) it was. If I hadn't of seen it on the telly you wouldn't have even known there was an issue.

Fair enough, I will add just don't try and take photos of anything. I tried to take one of the queen and a policeman/army officer threatened to shoot me.

Funny at the time, looking back perhaps his threat wasn't as baseless as I'd thought.

We took a train when we went to Berlin, about 50 miles northwards, to visit an ex-concentration camp - Sachsenhausen (lots of movement between there and Auschwitz). It was an eerie and incredibly moving experience. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but to be honest, it wasn't mine either, until I got there. I'd definitely recommend anyone to visit if going to Berlin.

Oh, we also went to a club one night, but I can't remember much about it :grin:.

I went there on my history trip when I when I was 17 very grim but a must see and will no doubt visit it when I go back. Is it easy to get to by train?

I went to Aushwitz in 2005 and again highly recommend it if you have a trip to Krakov.

I went there on my history trip when I when I was 17 very grim but a must see and will no doubt visit it when I go back. Is it easy to get to by train?

I went to Aushwitz in 2005 and again highly recommend it if you have a trip to Krakov.

I think it was about 50 minutes, then a bit of a walk.