Travel thread

I was there in the military coup in 05, Sat in bar just off the Ko Shan - George Bush was on talking about it and the pictures were pretty worrying, People were ringing home and taking calls boasting about how "crazy" (In annoying southern accents) it was. If I hadn't of seen it on the telly you wouldn't have even known there was an issue.

The more I travel the more I find that the scare stories you hear have little basis in fact. I felt safer in the Lebanon than I would in South London, that's for sure, despite passing various army unit checkpoints, Hezbollah guys, the lot. You can go one week to the next in Abu Dhabi without seeing a copper, to be honest I think most of the very small number of Brits who get in trouble over here have done the sort of things that they ought to be getting their arses kicked for in England as well (me included many times over of course). I remember when Sri Lanka was going off did time aroun the capital my dad was there. The BBC were saying that there were roadblocks on every corner and it was impossible to get through. My dad said that of course they opened the barrier and saluted when the saw a fat white bloke in a suit carrying a briefcase. The biggest danger of travelling I find is just people looking to fleece you for 5 times the normal cost of things.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but I'm as tight as cramp and it makes it cheaper :wink:

It's starting to become a bit of a trek most of the places Eastwards. I do fancy Goa but probably for more than a few days.

I have been to Goa on a few occasions. If you want any advice let me know

I have been to Goa on a few occasions. If you want any advice let me know

Nice one, will do. Probably looking at 3 months hence, unless that's a bad time to go. Just working out how flights work out for Amman (like whether there is any point being there all day Friday or if it shuts down), then London, England, then perhaps Goa. It's a hell of a perk travelling every month but you need it after living in a sandy convection oven the rest of the month!

The more I travel the more I find that the scare stories you hear have little basis in fact. I felt safer in the Lebanon than I would in South London, that's for sure, despite passing various army unit checkpoints, Hezbollah guys, the lot. You can go one week to the next in Abu Dhabi without seeing a copper, to be honest I think most of the very small number of Brits who get in trouble over here have done the sort of things that they ought to be getting their arses kicked for in England as well (me included many times over of course). I remember when Sri Lanka was going off did time aroun the capital my dad was there. The BBC were saying that there were roadblocks on every corner and it was impossible to get through. My dad said that of course they opened the barrier and saluted when the saw a fat white bloke in a suit carrying a briefcase. The biggest danger of travelling I find is just people looking to fleece you for 5 times the normal cost of things.

I went to Agra when I was in India and the kids round there are quality, They'll try and rip you off but if you have the banter and let them know you know they're on the takethen you know you'll be alright.

I dont mind people trying to make money out of 'rich westerners', I'd do exactly the same myself - As long as it's done fairly. Some people must pay it though

I went to Agra when I was in India and the kids round there are quality, They'll try and rip you off but if you have the banter and let them know you know they're on the takethen you know you'll be alright.

I dont mind people trying to make money out of 'rich westerners', I'd do exactly the same myself - As long as it's done fairly. Some people must pay it though

Oh, I don't mind paying 40p for something that a local would buy for 10p, it makes a difference to those guys and sod all to me. It isn't just the really poor places though. Only downside I found in the Lebanon is that they mix dollars and Lebanese pounds up so you haven't got a clue what's going on, except that you aren't likely to be the winner. I also got had by a taxi driver big style, heoffered to take me out for the day for $100 but when we got back it seemed that a little diversion had doubled the price. It was daylight robbery and he knew it, but he also banked that I wouldn't go all the way if he raised a scene, and he was right. But then taxi drivers the world over are liable to take the rings off your fingers (apologies to any Oldham taxi drivers)

Oh, I don't mind paying 40p for something that a local would buy for 10p, it makes a difference to those guys and sod all to me. It isn't just the really poor places though. Only downside I found in the Lebanon is that they mix dollars and Lebanese pounds up so you haven't got a clue what's going on, except that you aren't likely to be the winner. I also got had by a taxi driver big style, heoffered to take me out for the day for $100 but when we got back it seemed that a little diversion had doubled the price. It was daylight robbery and he knew it, but he also banked that I wouldn't go all the way if he raised a scene, and he was right. But then taxi drivers the world over are liable to take the rings off your fingers (apologies to any Oldham taxi drivers)

In Beijing a few years ago, my gf and I took a rickshaw from the Forbidden City to our hotel after haggling the price down to 40 Yuan. As we got to a quiet (For Beijing!) back street a few hundred yards from the hotel the guy stopped pedalling, turned round, and asked me for the payment.

I showed him the 50 Yuan note in my hand and said I'd pay him at the hotel, but he then said the deal was for 40 US Dollars. I told him I don't haggle in currency I don't carry, and let him know he'd just lost the 10 Yuan tip he was going to get, while I rooted in my wallet for two twenties.

The driver then said it was 40 Yuan per person, and got off the rickshaw. Sensing an intimidation ploy, I also got off and stood toe-to-toe with him - My 6'2 being quite obviously more intimidating than his 5'0.

Mr rickshawman then rolled his sleeve up and pointed to a tattoo on his arm and said "Triad!" so I pointed at the badge on my Latics shirt and said "Oldham! - that trumps you!" and shoved two twenties down the front of his shirt before walking away.

The 200 yard walk to the hotel was a tense one, and when we got back the concierge told us many people had been robbed or mugged in similar circumstances, but as the crime could carry a death penalty the driver probably didn't fancy drawing attention to himself by being kicked up and down a back street in the middle of the afternoon by an angry tourist in a bright green (Bovis) football shirt.

Booked for Athens next weekend (against better advise). I was all set for Jordan but figured there was no point with my main day being Friday when everything would be closed down. I will report back...

Andy have you been to Cyprus?

Good stopover from that part of the world (My dad was in Saudi Arabia at the time)

And Egypt too.

If you need anything on those, happy to oblige, though it was 20 years ago!

Mark

Andy have you been to Cyprus?

Good stopover from that part of the world (My dad was in Saudi Arabia at the time)

And Egypt too.

If you need anything on those, happy to oblige, though it was 20 years ago!

Mark

I'll go to Egypt for sure if I am here for long enough. Cyprus I did think of, I am greedy for Etihad air miles though and they don't go there :wink: I could probably do with a Mediterranean beer and sluts type trip though!

The dual pricing system in Thailand really annoys me. I have always refused to pay the "foreign" price for anything during the thirteen years I've been here. We don't have to pay different prices for petrol, or beer, or entry to the cinema so why should zoos, museums, tuk-tuks and taxis be any different? I wouldn't mind if it was means tested, there are a lot of very poor Thais but there are also a lot of very rich ones. It's racism, pure and simple. And they don't try and hide it. I get quite irrate when certain places try and charge me more simply because I'm a "Westerner". I usually find a few choice words in Thai does the trick. ;) It also helps that I can read the script, when the local prices are only displayed in Thai.

I guess it's no different to anywhere else but this is something you should be aware of if you plan to visit. But don't let it put you off. :)

My father in law is a taxi driver in Bangkok and he doesn't rip off anyone.

Edited by ThaiLatic

You could have told me that when I had to get a taxi to the Iraq game! :wink:

(and I've not forgotten that article I promised you)

"You could have told me that when I had to get a taxi to the Iraq game!"

What, and spoil your fun!!

In Beijing a few years ago, my gf and I took a rickshaw from the Forbidden City to our hotel after haggling the price down to 40 Yuan. As we got to a quiet (For Beijing!) back street a few hundred yards from the hotel the guy stopped pedalling, turned round, and asked me for the payment.

I showed him the 50 Yuan note in my hand and said I'd pay him at the hotel, but he then said the deal was for 40 US Dollars. I told him I don't haggle in currency I don't carry, and let him know he'd just lost the 10 Yuan tip he was going to get, while I rooted in my wallet for two twenties.

The driver then said it was 40 Yuan per person, and got off the rickshaw. Sensing an intimidation ploy, I also got off and stood toe-to-toe with him - My 6'2 being quite obviously more intimidating than his 5'0.

Mr rickshawman then rolled his sleeve up and pointed to a tattoo on his arm and said "Triad!" so I pointed at the badge on my Latics shirt and said "Oldham! - that trumps you!" and shoved two twenties down the front of his shirt before walking away.

The 200 yard walk to the hotel was a tense one, and when we got back the concierge told us many people had been robbed or mugged in similar circumstances, but as the crime could carry a death penalty the driver probably didn't fancy drawing attention to himself by being kicked up and down a back street in the middle of the afternoon by an angry tourist in a bright green (Bovis) football shirt.

:applause1:

I couldn't wait to get out of Athens. It's a dirty collection of junkies, thieves, conmen and worse. The Acropolis is spectacular but most of the other old stuff is just old rocks by now. There are a few nice areas in the old quarter but once you have seen one Taverna you've seen them all, and the same goes for the menus there (I could make better mousakka myself, and Lamb and Potatoes did exactly wht it said on the tin). There was an attempted scam whereby some bloke started talking to me in a bar, in the space of 5 minutes he had offered to buy me an ouso, two of his, "friends," (fairly fit birds) joined us, bloke vanished and the barman told me I had bought two bottles of Moet for the birds. I told him where to go of course, he threatened the Police so I said my cards were maxed out for the day and told him that if he gave me his email address I would arrange to send him the money, on my word as an Englishman. Or that was how it sounded, but when I think back I actually promised to go down the road to the fake football shirts shop and buy a Turkish one and a Greek one and wear the former whilst filming myself performing one or more revolting acts on the latter and send him that instead. Blokes, mind your money there. Girls, mind everything very carefully. Or just don't go.

I wouldnt have gone to Greece before, this just strengthens that even further. Hellhole of a country.

That said I'm off to Bulgaria next March, got a weeks skiing planned in Bansko. It's only over the border so I can't see the locals being much more pleasant.

I've heard nothing but good things about the islands, and several other bad things about Athens. I guess an island isn't a great place for the locals to commit crime. I reckon Bulgaria will be OK. Incidentally, the fitted girl I ever saw was Bulgarian, they aren;t all the shot putters you might imagine.

I've heard nothing but good things about the islands, and several other bad things about Athens. I guess an island isn't a great place for the locals to commit crime. I reckon Bulgaria will be OK. Incidentally, the fitted girl I ever saw was Bulgarian, they aren;t all the shot putters you might imagine.

I've been to several of the greek islands and only ever encountered kind hospitality and friendliness.

I imagine the big cities are a different kettle of fish though.

I've made some good greek friends and have returned to a genuine warm welcome many times.

The Acropolis is spectacular but most of the other old stuff is just old rocks by now.

:grin: Bloody Philistine! :grin:

Been to Athens 3 times, and I fully agree you have to be careful every minute of the day. It can be a fascinating city but it is also no better than a Sao Paolo shanty town in parts - and Piraeus is the worst port I've ever sailed out of.

One visit was made with two Corfiots to watch Panathanaikos versus AEK, and both the Greek islanders told me how much they hated their Capital, and how unsafe they felt when visiting, yet the islands are fantastic places that I'd recommend to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone here been to Colombia and/or Venezuela?

I'm going travelling through South America for about eight weeks in April/May/June and trying to work out where it's going to be possible to get to. As I will probably be flying to Buenos Aires and have heard that Rio is actually relatively expensive, I'm thinking of working my way up from BA, into Chile and then Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador and then to Bogota and perhaps Caracas (a final leg that may prove tricky since Colombia and Venezuela have cut off diplomatic ties in July). Obviously one main concern is safety, you see a lot of scare stories in the media (and on the FCO website!), but the couple of people I know who've been said it was perfectly fine, and I've heard good things through friends of friends etc...

Anyway, it's all a very loose plan, any tips/advice most welcome.

I've been to several of the greek islands and only ever encountered kind hospitality and friendliness.

I imagine the big cities are a different kettle of fish though.

I've made some good greek friends and have returned to a genuine warm welcome many times.

A definate + 2 from me and my gaffer for the comments above.

We try and go to a different island each year and like you say only ever encounter genuine warmth and hospitality from most whom we encounter and being as we stay away from your more 'lively' places, we tend to find the food, people and villages much more genuine and quality.

Has anyone here been to Colombia and/or Venezuela?

I'm going travelling through South America for about eight weeks in April/May/June and trying to work out where it's going to be possible to get to. As I will probably be flying to Buenos Aires and have heard that Rio is actually relatively expensive, I'm thinking of working my way up from BA, into Chile and then Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador and then to Bogota and perhaps Caracas (a final leg that may prove tricky since Colombia and Venezuela have cut off diplomatic ties in July). Obviously one main concern is safety, you see a lot of scare stories in the media (and on the FCO website!), but the couple of people I know who've been said it was perfectly fine, and I've heard good things through friends of friends etc...

Anyway, it's all a very loose plan, any tips/advice most welcome.

No idea myself but if you have questions about particular places then more than likely there is someone around who will be able to fill me in.

Ask Butter about his Bulgarian taxi episode.

For the record. I wouldnt recommend Bulgaria. It's nice and the nightlife is good (full of filthy foreigners) but the place is corrupt as f*ck and run by the mafia.