Travel thread

Having replied to a post or two in the NHL thread(s) about travel plans. I thought it might be an idea to have a general thread where people who are going away can get ideas about what's worth seeing and what's not where they are going and any little tidbits that might be useful for Latics fans (like ex-player owning a bar in a certain area). Especially as its the summer holidays very shortly.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having replied to a post or two in the NHL thread(s) about travel plans. I thought it might be an idea to have a general thread where people who are going away can get ideas about what's worth seeing and what's not where they are going and any little tidbits that might be useful for Latics fans (like ex-player owning a bar in a certain area). Especially as its the summer holidays very shortly.

I've just got back from travelling across Cuba. I'd really recommend it. Stay away from the package deals and the all inclusives and get yourself out there.

World of advice though stay away from the trains they're a real 'experience' our 13 hour train journey tok 22.

Not an Irish bar, McDonalds or Coffee shop in sight ... Heaven.

I've just got back from travelling across Cuba. I'd really recommend it. Stay away from the package deals and the all inclusives and get yourself out there.

World of advice though stay away from the trains they're a real 'experience' our 13 hour train journey tok 22.

Not an Irish bar, McDonalds or Coffee shop in sight ... Heaven.

I would recommend Package Holidays in Cuba, personally. Depends what you're looking for to be honest. Travelling around is not my sort of thing. Lazing around a pool / on a beach with guarenteed hot and sunny weather (barring the tropical storms), the odd excursion to see more of the "real Cuba", and all you can eat and drink 24/7 is.

Myself and Jorvik, have been to an all inclusive resort for 3 years running, have loved every second, and are going back to the same place next June to get married.

Horses for courses......

I agree with Maddog, although I did a 3 day trip to Santa Clara and Havana which was an unreal experience.

We did Havana, Santiago De Cuba, Las Tunas, Santa Clara, Trinidad and Havana some more when we were there and a few smaller places inbetween. Spent a few days by the coast lazing on the beach. I get fidgety if I spend too much time sat still. The joys of ADHD.

Viva Fidel

As many know I've travelled on a backpackers budget for 10 months, so if anyone would like advice on that just post up your questions and I'll be happy to help where possible.

On that trip I covered:

China

-- North to South down the eastern side of the country.

Hong Kong

Thailand

-- Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Surat Thani, Ko Tao, Ko Phangan and Ko Samui

--- Be careful here, the political situation is unstable.

Malaysia

-- Alor Setar, Georgetown, Kota Bharu, the Perhenthian islands, Ipoh, the Cameron Highlands, Kuala Lumpur and Melaka

Singapore

Australia

-- North to South from Cairns to Melbourne

New Zealand

-- Both islands from top to bottom

Fiji

-- Suva, Coral Coast and the Yasawas islands

--- Be careful here, the political situation is unstable.

USA

-- LA/Hollywood, Anaheim, San Diego, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Washington DC

Canada

-- From East to West

That's it. Plans to travel Europe or South America are on hold for the moment but hopefully I'll get those done within the next 5 years.

As above - any questions (I may have missed some places 'in between' so please ask) about anywhere feel free to post them up and I'll do my best for you. Anyone lucky enough to be going to any of those places I'm very very jealous!

Berlin..10 of us..all blokes aged 48 - 60

3 days

need info on pubs, rock bar/club, decent food outlets, which football team to go and see?

much obliged

Few decent boozers around Kreuzberg. Around Berlin there are loads of Irish bars which look pretty much like all other Irish bars. One called ze Oscar Wilde Irish bar looked pretty Wilde!

Hertha are the big one

If you have an hour spare check out the eastside gallery. Loads of paintings along a stretch of the wall, which is pretty smart.

Some good parties go down in the East.

I took a quick trip to Beirut last month, it was awesome. Really laid back stylish city, amazing food, loads of little bars and cafe type places as well as the chains that I can't believe people eat at when they go away. You can get a taxi for the day and go out and see some seriously historic stuff, like Crusader castles, the ruins of Tyre (capital of the Med 4000 years ago), ancient hilltop settlements, or you could go over to Isreal or Syria if you fancied. And the Bekaa valley is said to be incredible.

Oh, and it has stunning beaches, and the hottest chicks in the world. All over the place.

I'm off to Krakov on a stag doo in October. Anyone been? Apparently were goin shooting on the first day, which should be good as the best I've ever shot is a paintball gun. Apparently u can buy a cow to shoot up, although I don't know if I could bring myself to do that.....

I've just got back from a few days in Valencia, it's a fantastic city, very modern yet very spanish at the same time. Some amazing buildings, arts by the old river bed if thats what you like, a beach by the port area, lots of small tapas bars. Not many english about either to say it's just up the coast from Gandia, Javea etc. It's a good central point if you want to explore further. Also you have the Valencia's Mestalla or a bit further out Levante CF if you fancy a game.

I'm off to Krakov on a stag doo in October. Anyone been? Apparently were goin shooting on the first day, which should be good as the best I've ever shot is a paintball gun. Apparently u can buy a cow to shoot up, although I don't know if I could bring myself to do that.....

I hear what you're saying, a goat would clearly be much better

Looks like my week and a half in London/home/York/Bruges this month is cancelled due to work :ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting: so I need to find somewhere closer to the UEA to get my passport stamped, so if anyone has any ideas...

Looks like my week and a half in London/home/York/Bruges this month is cancelled due to work :ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting: so I need to find somewhere closer to the UEA to get my passport stamped, so if anyone has any ideas...

Baghdad? I hear things are improving, too many yanks though.

Go to Abu Dhabi and find us a new chairman.

Baghdad? I hear things are improving, too many yanks though.

:lipsrsealed2: that for a game of insurgents. I can handle being a tourist where they see you as a walking dollar sign, but not where their way to get the dollar is to kidnap you for a couple of years and saw your head off if the bill isn't paid. Might try Istanbul or Athens, anyone been?

Go to Abu Dhabi and find us a new chairman.

It's Abu Dhabi I need to get out of before 1) going mad and 2) I become an illegal immigrant! I am keeping my eyes open for rich-ass dudes who want a toy, truth is that you meet very few locals over here though, they mostly sit at home looking at their money.

we, the darts team have done both Kracow and Valencia...both excellent venues...especially Valencia, a somewhat hidden gem.

Lisbon is also a cracking place to visit.

anymore info re Berlin much appreciated

we, the darts team have done both Kracow and Valencia...both excellent venues...especially Valencia, a somewhat hidden gem.

Lisbon is also a cracking place to visit.

anymore info re Berlin much appreciated

I did a trip to Berlin with the old man and his associates. Somewhat surprisingly the Eastern quarter seemed to be much better preserved, very nice to go for a stroll through all the old streets, obviously stopping for a beer every hundred yards or so. Think my brother and his missus went for lunch up the bloody great big tower thingy and enjoyed that, the Reichstag is a also well worth a look. I have to say that unless a big lump of pig is your idea of food heaven (and it is for my dad) then the cuisine has nothing to offer you.

Few decent boozers around Kreuzberg. Around Berlin there are loads of Irish bars which look pretty much like all other Irish bars. One called ze Oscar Wilde Irish bar looked pretty Wilde!

Hertha are the big one

If you have an hour spare check out the eastside gallery. Loads of paintings along a stretch of the wall, which is pretty smart.

Some good parties go down in the East.

Was looking for somewhere cheap in August to go to and Berlin has turned out very nicely. 4* hotel and easyjet flights for four nights £340 quid for me and the Mrs to be. A week later we head out on our not so cheap honeymoon to Rhodes.

Jordan? Friends who have been to Petra have said it's brilliant (it certainly looks remarkable). I'm sure Amman would be interesting enough too if you need to pad out some more time.