1st Player has signed

OK, maybe not slagging HIM off, but is this a positive reaction?

I'm not even sure he's better than what we've already got.

There's another one similar to this somewhere, but I can't manage to get two quotes into one post.

*Slopes off to learn more about the intricacies of above*

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So who are we still expecting?

Andy Butler

Robbie Williams

Adebayo Akinfenwa

Jason Jarrett

...and our elusive assistant manager, I assume.

All worth a shout IMO and would love to see him knocking a few CBs around

Ritchie Jones, eh.

There is certainly some talent there, though perhaps there is just a tad less than his agent would have people believe. We were also told that we fought off "a number of clubs" for his signature. Chuffed we was.

He scored on his debut and looked to have a few tricks, but lacked a bit of consistency. His best game came against the best team he played against: West Ham in the FA Cup. I've said before that if he could have produced 80% of that performance in 80% of his games he'd have been a great player for us. His inconsistency led to another spell on the bench last season and he looked to have finally cracked it when he produced a superb cameo against Leeds followed by an excellent two-goal performance against Carlisle. I said at the time let's get this lad a new contract and see if we can sort him out. There is talent there but he shows it with baffling infrequency. Unfortunately he reverted to type and his performance at Yeovil (when he was subbed at half-time and couldn't have complained had he been hooked half an hour earlier) had to be seen to be believed! He started just once more and it was no real surprise when he was released. Good luck with him. There is some raw material to work with, but god he was frustrating.

OK, maybe not slagging HIM off, but is this a positive reaction?

There's another one similar to this somewhere, but I can't manage to get two quotes into one post.

*Slopes off to learn more about the intricacies of above*

But the poster isnt sure he's better than what we've got because he hasn't seen him. I don't see the problem with that post.

Ritchie Jones, eh.

There is certainly some talent there, though perhaps there is just a tad less than his agent would have people believe. We were also told that we fought off "a number of clubs" for his signature. Chuffed we was.

He scored on his debut and looked to have a few tricks, but lacked a bit of consistency. His best game came against the best team he played against: West Ham in the FA Cup. I've said before that if he could have produced 80% of that performance in 80% of his games he'd have been a great player for us. His inconsistency led to another spell on the bench last season and he looked to have finally cracked it when he produced a superb cameo against Leeds followed by an excellent two-goal performance against Carlisle. I said at the time let's get this lad a new contract and see if we can sort him out. There is talent there but he shows it with baffling infrequency. Unfortunately he reverted to type and his performance at Yeovil (when he was subbed at half-time and couldn't have complained had he been hooked half an hour earlier) had to be seen to be believed! He started just once more and it was no real surprise when he was released. Good luck with him. There is some raw material to work with, but god he was frustrating.

Just the job for PD & the lesser spotted GT to work with.

He could be a very good player for us, I can't remember who it was that bossed the game for the second half when we drew 3-3 with Hartlepool in september 08, but I think it may have been him. He could be like Danny Whits but Danny Whits when on form and played in his proper position wasn't that bad a player. The fact he has a left foot is good- as maybe we don't need to play Taylor wide left if necessary. I'm unsure if he can play with Stephens/Lee in central midfield (as part of a 4) as they might be a bit lightweight but if he gets into the team in front of Stephens then he is going to be very good at this level. I'm going to await seeing him play for a reasonable number of games when fully fit before I make any judgements.

Given that a championship club was trying to sign him tends to suggest he might have something about him, even if that Championship club is Millwall- they still have a decent midfield.

But the poster isnt sure he's better than what we've got because he hasn't seen him. I don't see the problem with that post.

Fair enough, maybe I just want to see a bit more enthusiasm shown by a few more people when moves are made to try to strengthen the team. At a time when the club I have loved and supported for 6 decades needs all the support it can get, it just gets me down when I see any sign of negativity. Am I just a super-sensitive soul?

Given that a championship club was trying to sign him tends to suggest he might have something about him, even if that Championship club is Millwall- they still have a decent midfield.

I suspect we have to take that comment with a big pinch of smelly stuff.

Off what I've heard, he sounds just like Danny Whitaker. One game in ten, other than that a luxury.

Like others, give him the benefit of seeing him more than just twice a season before writing him off or building him up, but I'm not going to get overly excited about signing a Hartlepool reject. After all the last two we did that with were Betsy* and Parker.

*Alright 'reject' is pushing it with him.

I'm not going to get overly excited about signing a Hartlepool reject. After all the last two we did that with were Betsy* and Parker **.

*Alright 'reject' is pushing it with him.

** and him!

We only had Parker on loan. But you are right - we sure as hell rejected him!

Ritchie Jones, eh.

This is why he's playing in the third division.

Just been told he's been training with us...not been reading rumours on here so hadn't realised. It was Jarrett that I was told about...came in same text I got about Jones signing. Not sure what people will make about it if it's true...all I can say is he'll be cheap and exactly the sort we can afford. If he gets fit and has the right attitude (last chance saloon) then he'll do a job.

Took this from the 'Chron messages on the Richie Jones article...

A good signing, with another Seb Hines from Middlesborough about to be announced and hopefully Baxter and Butler on route too. Another goalie and striker will suit me fine. Roll on the next season

What about the youngster Jose Baxter, anyone heard whether there is any truth in that rumour?

a mate of mine goes to Goodison and rates this guy very highly. Said that he wishes he got more chances in the first team there. Got three winners in three games against Liverpool Reserves last season. Apparently very talented.

This is why he's playing in the third division.

More accurately, Johnny, that's why he's been benching in the third division. When I talk about his inconsistency I am comparing him to the rest of the squad. One good game in four or five doesn't get you a guaranteed shirt at any level. He's a long way from being crap, and a number of fans were disappointed (though not surprised) to see him released considering his age and the glimpses of good play we had seen. But he just wasn't quite good enough often enough.

I won't talk about some of the odder things I've heard. This is not the time for the rice story or the kittens story. :grin:

Best of luck...

More accurately, Johnny, that's why he's been benching in the third division. When I talk about his inconsistency I am comparing him to the rest of the squad. One good game in four or five doesn't get you a guaranteed shirt at any level. He's a long way from being crap, and a number of fans were disappointed (though not surprised) to see him released considering his age and the glimpses of good play we had seen. But he just wasn't quite good enough often enough.

I won't talk about some of the odder things I've heard. This is not the time for the rice story or the kittens story. :grin:

Best of luck...

Does he shop at Tescos int he afdternoon?

Has he every had bother with ginger Strawberry blond players?

If he does, that'll really mark him down as the new boo boy.

I like how Dickov sounds very positive about Jones, knows how Jones plays and what he can bring to the team. Sounds like he's very persuasive/passionate also, first to get the job here and now on this signing.

With the potential signings being made we'll have a squad pushing 30 players. Who is on their way out?

The problem was Jones was played on the right by Turner and played there even though he wasnt comfy with it, he is a central midfielder and that is his natural position!

And also Turner was an arse with him, that is one of the reasons he was on the bench, and sometimes completely left out!

The problem was Jones was played on the right by Turner and played there even though he wasnt comfy with it, he is a central midfielder and that is his natural position!

And also Turner was an arse with him, that is one of the reasons he was on the bench, and sometimes completely left out!

Jones was signed by Danny Wilson and made his debut on the right wing. It wasn't just Turner who used him there. Personally I thought he was probably a little better suited to a central role, but he was inconsistent in both positions which suggests that "out of position" is an excuse as much as anything.

The main reason he was on the bench was unreliable form.

Had to love the quote from Paul Dickov: "Ritchie Jones has been Hartlepool's best player for the last two seasons".

Really? I wish someone had told us! :huh:

I like how Dickov sounds very positive about Jones, knows how Jones plays and what he can bring to the team. Sounds like he's very persuasive/passionate also, first to get the job here and now on this signing.With the potential signings being made we'll have a squad pushing 30 players. Who is on their way out?

A good read on the official and replicated on SSN pages.

Dickov comes out of it sounding really good IMO – enthusiastic, big plans for the future etc etc. I know it’s the time of the year where managers and players ‘talk the talk’ in interviews; but I look to the positives of this signing:

- I’ve seen him play 3 times against us; and he looked more than OK on all 3 occasions

- If it means Worthy is further away from the starting team then happy days for me (!!!)

- We beat competition to sign him; really didn’t think would be possible this summer

- We have signed a player from our league; I fully expected the players coming in (if any) to be from L2 or below

- Dickov (& whisper it; Taggert) sound like an upbeat & positive duo who hopefully will rub off on the club as a whole

Whilst not a world beater; I think it’s a realistic & positive signing all told. Welcome to BP Richie; enjoy!!