A breath of fresh air

Compare last pre-season to this and we'll see what difference a manager who has "been there" and "done that" at the highest level can do.

The contacts that PD and GT have generated over the years will pay dividends when compared with the limited budget that we have. Their passion and ambition will sell the club despite us having three sides to the ground and only fill 30% of our ground at matches.

It may well be "new player talk" but both signings have emphasised how much PD has sold the club, it's ambition and PD's own plans to deliver success on the pitch. To entice two players who had offers elsewhere and at a higher level must have took some convincing so PD must have confidence in what he's selling! Some are under-whelmed with Jones but remember he's played in an under-performing team last season. Bring him in alongside Stephens, Furman and whoever else comes in and I'm confident we'll see the Ritchie Jones who has the engine to play box to box, add creativity and provide great support to the attack.

The strong rumour that Jose Baxter will be signing when returns from Australia will be a clear sign of next season. If it's true then a Toffee-supporting mate reckons PD must have really convinced David Moyles because he's immensely protective of Baxter and Baxter's development. If PD has impressed Moyles with his plans for next season to the point of Baxter being loaned to a League One team then I'm really excited about how we're going to play next season and the team his building.

We still need a couple of centre backs and a winger or two but I'm sure that PD is already plotting to bring those in either through the trials or another loan deal or two from the contacts he's established in his or GT's lengthy careers.

I feel a little optimistic too mate. But then again I did last pre-season. Furman seemed like a quality signing, so did Abbott. Darlo fans raving about Purdie and it seemed like a clean slate after the team falling apart in Sheridans last season. For me we won't see the difference until 3 o'clock, Prenton park, 7th August.

lets keep our feet on the ground and keep our expectations in check, the guy needs time to prove what he can do.

All I want to see is young hungry lads playing some exciting football. Something PD can build on as he gains more experience. Anything else just has to be huge bonus.

Even after a few games last year people were talking about the togetherness of the team after the huddle's after winning matches, People saying it was an improvement on the season before.

When we signed Abbott it was met with a very warm reception aswell.

The contacts bit though with Dickov appears to be right, I'm not gonna jump on any bandwaggon though just yet. Decent start in terms of quality of signings Wsa always happy with the Dickov appointment and he's not done anything/said anything that I dont think is good..

Just there could be alot of people with egg on their face though if it becomes clear he aint manger material - To be fair though I haven't seen anything to suggest that's gonna be the case

lets keep our feet on the ground and keep our expectations in check, the guy needs time to prove what he can do.

Agreed

While their is nothing wrong with abit of preseason optimism I will be keeping my feet on the ground because by March the Dickov will sort them out he's achieved loads and all the players will want to play for him posts will be replaced by I'm not renewing unless that little scottish city ba :censored:gets out of our club.

We have signed 1 player so far who may turn out a gem or a flop lets face it we won't be paying him mega bucks so I won't be expecting him to tear up the division but he can still be a success. Thats on top of a team that finished 2 points above the relegation zone last season and we have replaced our management team with a new management team who are new to the club and taking their first steps in management. So far it seams that Dickov has made alot of positive moves but penney seemed to be aswell this time last season If anyone thinks all our problems have just been solved overnight then they are abit naive in my opinion.

As far as I'm concerned all I want from this season is somekind of improvment on the pitch it doesn't have to be drastic just enough to justify keeping faith with Dickov. Secondley and more importantly I want us to be far more stable financially If 12 months down the line we are looking forward with hope and not back at what might have been that will do for me.

Most positive thing to come out of latics in years:

Feeney:

"I have spoken to other clubs, but after I talked to Paul and Gerry (Taggart), there was only one winner. I want to play my football here," he said.

early days but keep up the good work paul

Midblues title header was written before last nights match and anyone who was there will endorse his comments.

Let's not get carried away, defensive frailties apart we looked just as hard-working last pre-season particularly in an impressive performance vs Middlesbrough. What's slightly different this time has been the tempo and our ability to keep the ball which is encouraging and despite the fact we played two different sides last night they played as a team in both halves. I hope Taylor and Smalley have similar attitudes as both may struggle with Dickov's work ethic.

Even Furman looked impressive (but he looked equally as good last pre-season)

Oh and Fleming's save shows why he should get a run this year. He let's in dodgy goals same as Brill but at least he has you on your feet with his reflexes and agility. I maintain i think he is still the best young shot-stopper I have seen since Goram.

Let's not get carried away, defensive frailties apart we looked just as hard-working last pre-season particularly in an impressive performance vs Middlesbrough. What's slightly different this time has been the tempo and our ability to keep the ball which is encouraging and despite the fact we played two different sides last night they played as a team in both halves. I hope Taylor and Smalley have similar attitudes as both may struggle with Dickov's work ethic.

Even Furman looked impressive (but he looked equally as good last pre-season)

Oh and Fleming's save shows why he should get a run this year. He let's in dodgy goals same as Brill but at least he has you on your feet with his reflexes and agility. I maintain i think he is still the best young shot-stopper I have seen since Goram.

Was actually going to start a thread about that save; best I think I’ll see all season because it was simply outstanding.

That for me sums up GF – yes he did used to have a tendency to rush off his line (he might still; he might not now??) but what he does give you is very; very good shot stopping ability. I can pretty much surmise that if Brill has been in net 2nd half; that would have been in the back of the net.

For me (and hopefully the management) Fleming has to be number 1 if it’s a straight choice between him & Brill.