Signings who never played for the club...

Assuming Purdie leaves without a first team appearance....any others?

possibly Brendan O'Callaghan in the days before time. Joe paid £55kish to Stoke I reckon and i don't remember seeing him before his career was over. A mate of mine who worked at the club at the time reckoned Joe and Willie decided that they needed a 6 foot plus centre half who could also play up front and spent one afternoon looking through Rothmans to see who fitted the bill before thy came up with him.

Edited by astottie

Ian Thompstone

A few that barely played

Tony Ellis

Wayne Heseltine

Derek Brazil

Mike Fillery

John Gannon

John Morrow

John Keeley

Matthew Rush

I saw everyone of them play for Latics and reckon Ellis and Rush got into double figures. Saw Fillerys debut at Hull stood behind the Co - op (me not him)

Ian Thompstone

A few that barely played

Tony Ellis - 5 league starts

Wayne Heseltine -

Derek Brazil

Mike Fillery - 2 appearances, 14 mins of his debut and his comeback at Notts County

John Gannon - 6 appearances

John Morrow - 1 start at Crystal Palace

John Keeley - 4 starts (in 3 comps)

Matthew Rush - 18 starts

possibly Brendan O'Callaghan in the days before time. Joe paid £55kish to Stoke I reckon and i don't remember seeing him before his career was over. A mate of mine who worked at the club at the time reckoned Joe and Willie decided that they needed a 6 foot plus centre half who could also play up front and spent one afternoon looking through Rothmans to see who fitted the bill before thy came up with him.

He def played. Good player as well.

I'm sure I saw Beavers play up front with Agogo in an August game at Brentford!

You're right they did - we lost 2-0. Beavers came on as sub at Stockport in the league cup, sadly his Latics career was over by August bank holiday! (Same with Agogo - another one who was turd but scored loads elsewhere!)

Edited by oafcprozac

My memery has never bee prozac-esque, so no chance of remembering who has not played for us, but a few of the ones that played a handful of games but more was expected, that stick in the mind.

Bruce Grobelaar was one

Asa Hartford

Orpheo Kaiserweed, of course

John Morrow

Tore Pedersen, though he got into double figures.

Neil tolson seemed to be around more than he was

Martin Buchan made a few, but I was very disappointed at the time he played less than 30 games.

Tony hately too

Of the loanees

Derek Brazil hardly played

Marlon Beresford

We have a bit of history of trying to get the odd star our way, but normally well past their sell by date!

Edited by singe

My memery has never bee prozac-esque, so no chance of remembering who has not played for us, but a few of the ones that played a handful of games but more was expected, that stick in the mind.

Bruce Grobelaar was one

Asa Hartford

Orpheo Kaiserweed, of course

John Morrow

Tore Pedersen, though he got into double figures.

Neil tolson seemed to be around more than he was

Martin Buchan made a few, but I was very disappointed at the time he played less than 30 games.

Tony hately too

Of the loanees

Derek Brazil hardly played

Marlon Beresford

We have a bit of history of trying to get the odd star our way, but normally well past their sell by date!

Players who didnt play much in recent times:

Rob Lee

Wayne Gill

David Knight ( I think it was hime got sent off on debut whilst on loan from Boro)

Players who didnt play much in recent times:

Rob Lee

Wayne Gill

David Knight ( I think it was hime got sent off on debut whilst on loan from Boro)

Chris Howarth - Saved a pen v Swansea then injured next game

Adam Legzdins

Thomas Cwyka

Neil Wood

Anthony Grant

Lance Cronin

Michael Poke

Andy Dibble - signed, trained then recalled by lunch-time!

Darren Lonergan

Lee Hardy

Lee Clitheroe

Lance Key (played twice, then recalled)

Andy Gray

Steve Cherry

Danny Walsh

John McGinlay

Keith Gumbs (played a few ressie games etc.. but not allowed to sign!)

Mikka Juntanen (Finnish player we signed then changed our mids in late 80s)

Nick Papsilvilou (Cypriot had on trial for months didn't sign)

Ole Bjorn Sundgot (3 separate trials and still didn't sign!)

I dont think the young forward Dowie got from non league played think his name was Wes Wilkinson.

wasn't Dowie, Shez brought him in on trial before Talbot took over - who signed him. Played a few games including destroying Bristol City at Ashton Gate providing two assists, before being nobbled. Never hit those heights again as he was a bit of a good time guy who didn't take a possible career in football too seriously (the knob!) last seen back at woodley Sports, could have been a cracker but preferred being on the piss and faking injury!