Signings who never played for the club...

Johnny Divers, sometime in the '40's or '50's. Depending on which legend you believe, he either lasted for about two minutes before getting injured and being carried off, never to be seen again. Or, fell down the steps on his way on to the pitch for his debut and was taken to hospital without even having kicked a ball!

possibly Brendan O'Callaghan in the days before time. Joe paid £55kish to Stoke I reckon and i don't remember seeing him before his career was over. A mate of mine who worked at the club at the time reckoned Joe and Willie decided that they needed a 6 foot plus centre half who could also play up front and spent one afternoon looking through Rothmans to see who fitted the bill before thy came up with him.

Brendon did play a couple of games - Stoke away in 85 - 86 rings a bell.

Remember the player Smith we signed from Burnley on loan. Fell down a man hole and broke his leg so never played for us.

Was the kid called Fabiano who could play either wing that Shez had from Chelsea?

Paul Smith played in a couple of games, including the debacle at Rotherham - he was also credited with our consolation v Cambridge the week before. The manhole injury cut-short his loan spell, shame as he looked decent.

Chris Lightfoot

Alex Kiratzoglou

The canadian lad, Ben Watson???

A few more that spring to mind

Edited by oafcprozac

Remember the player Smith we signed from Burnley on loan. Fell down a man hole and broke his leg so never played for us.

Was the kid called Fabiano who could play either wing that Shez had from Chelsea?

The Chelsea kid had an entertaining cameo at Cheltenham when Whitaker bagged a last second equaliser - he was pretty poor! (Fabio Ferriera)

Edited by oafcprozac

Tony Hateley played 5 mins first team football as a sub at Brighton....scored too. at the end of the day that goal won us the league.

Strange but true

Was that before or after he warmed up as a sub at BP by running forwards then backwards and then falling a*se over t*t over a ballboy in front of the main stand?

Players who didnt play much in recent times:

Rob Lee

Wayne Gill

David Knight ( I think it was hime got sent off on debut whilst on loan from Boro)

Cant think of his name centre half from Coventry debut played about half a game then sent off and sent back to coventry. :shock:

Mark Foran,centre half.Can`t remember if he started & got subbed or came on as a sub then got subbed.I remember it was a nasty injury,got stretchered off after being on the pitch for no more than half an hour and never to feature for us again.

The Beast of Budapest went off similarly,think he might`ve played twice though.

My memery has never bee prozac-esque, so no chance of remembering who has not played for us, but a few of the ones that played a handful of games but more was expected, that stick in the mind.

Bruce Grobelaar was one

Asa Hartford

Orpheo Kaiserweed, of course

John Morrow

Tore Pedersen, though he got into double figures.

Neil tolson seemed to be around more than he was

Martin Buchan made a few, but I was very disappointed at the time he played less than 30 games.

Tony hately too

Of the loanees

Derek Brazil hardly played

Marlon Beresford

We have a bit of history of trying to get the odd star our way, but normally well past their sell by date!

did he actually sign for us? thought it was a short term loan?

Mark Foran,centre half.Can`t remember if he started & got subbed or came on as a sub then got subbed.I remember it was a nasty injury,got stretchered off after being on the pitch for no more than half an hour and never to feature for us again.

The Beast of Budapest went off similarly,think he might`ve played twice though.

i thought it was graeme sharp who agreed with ian stott that he would sort out a contract and sign him whilst sharp was on holiday

he didnt!

i thought it was graeme sharp who agreed with ian stott that he would sort out a contract and sign him whilst sharp was on holiday

he didnt!

Clouded memory here, but Hypia had a couple of outstanding reserve matches, Sharp wanted him but was told at half time by Stott "no deal on the table" during Hypia's 3rd game so he packed up and drove off into the night.

Clouded memory here, but Hypia had a couple of outstanding reserve matches, Sharp wanted him but was told at half time by Stott "no deal on the table" during Hypia's 3rd game so he packed up and drove off into the night.

Lourenco - 1 overhead kick