Inception

Ackey

I have never, ever seen a film like it, I can't describe how good Inception is. I just can't...

Just wanted to echo these sentiments. Just incredible. Went on my own yesterday (the way I roll now I have a nipper!) and could barely talk to the wife for an hour after I was that shellshocked. Just incredible.

I never thought I would be blown away by a fim more that the Dark Knight. Nolan's done it again. I did feel in places he had just decided to combine Shutter Island with his Batman films - but that is absolutely fine with me!

Amazing. I honestly believe that anyone who doesnt think it is u to the hype is either trying to be a smartarse, or just didnt get it :wink:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also saw Inception last night (with what felt like half of South Manchester...Orange have changed the way this country goes to the cinema), and yep, brilliant. Nothing really to add to what's been said already!

Saw Toy Story 3 last week, was good. Amusing in places and a nice way to tie it all in. That was the first movie I'd seen in 3D though and felt very disappointed...sure it adds depth but I was expecting things to come flying at me etc and it didn't happen. The movie would have worked just as well in 2D.

I also saw Inception last night (with what felt like half of South Manchester...Orange have changed the way this country goes to the cinema), and yep, brilliant. Nothing really to add to what's been said already!

Saw Toy Story 3 last week, was good. Amusing in places and a nice way to tie it all in. That was the first movie I'd seen in 3D though and felt very disappointed...sure it adds depth but I was expecting things to come flying at me etc and it didn't happen. The movie would have worked just as well in 2D.

What you doing in my neck of the woods? Next time give me a nudge and I can give you that USA book!

Just wanted to echo these sentiments. Just incredible. Went on my own yesterday (the way I roll now I have a nipper!) and could barely talk to the wife for an hour after I was that shellshocked. Just incredible.

I never thought I would be blown away by a fim more that the Dark Knight. Nolan's done it again. I did feel in places he had just decided to combine Shutter Island with his Batman films - but that is absolutely fine with me!

Amazing. I honestly believe that anyone who doesnt think it is u to the hype is either trying to be a smartarse, or just didnt get it :wink:

Don't say that!!!

HarryBosch will get upset and shout at you! :lol:

Went to see Toy Story last night loved it. Like the idea of a bad toy. I know what people mean about the 3D hardly seem worth the extra money. The best bit was an advert before hand where Kaka kicked the ball at the screen and it came through it and nearly hit me.

There is also a rugby ball that comes into the audience on a sky sports advert.

Thinking of 3D sky. Has anyone watched anything live in 3D? Obviously when watching something in the cinema it has been mastered a few times but you can't do this with live TV so does it work?

PS best 3D I have ever seen was the start of the Nou Camp tour. Messi gliding past people in 3D was fantastic.

I'm quite surprised Inception seems to be so loved by so many.

In my opinion - it was good. Nothing more. Mainly because I just didn't care about the Characters enough. As an idea, as a premise - as a maze, moving from theme to theme its brilliant. How things come together is fantastic, but as a film I was just left feeling it lacked something.

I just didn't care about the characters enough for me to love it. None of the characters (apart from cobb) are explored.

Example:

Cillian murphy's character, his mental state is analysed, by people writing on a blackboard - you know his relationship with his father - but its like reading it in a text book. I just didn't care about him.

Im expecting for people to cut that to ribbons to be honest.

Maybe I have to see it again (and I will).

Edited by pukka

I'm quite surprised Inception seems to be so loved by so many.

In my opinion - it was good. Nothing more. Mainly because I just didn't care about the Characters enough. As an idea, as a premise - as a maze, moving from theme to theme its brilliant. How things come together is fantastic, but as a film I was just left feeling it lacked something.

I just didn't care about the characters enough for me to love it. None of the characters (apart from cobb) are explored.

Example:

Cillian murphy's character, his mental state is analysed, by people writing on a blackboard - you know his relationship with his father - but its like reading it in a text book. I just didn't care about him.

Im expecting for people to cut that to ribbons to be honest.

Maybe I have to see it again (and I will).

+1

For such a hullabaloo the stakes of the plot are astonishingly low. Will the corporation remain a single entity or will it break up? Who cares?

Who cares about little Leo's screwed up wife and bratty-looking kids?

Who cares whether or not that sort of thing really goes on behind the screen separating First Class passengers from the rest?

Oh yeah. Classic film cringing comes when the characters have to explain the parameters of the plot, then the new parameters, then the next lot. And you can keep the psychobabble, of which there is way too much. It's all cliche.

Two good jokes: when it rains because the guy needs a pee. And the businessman's subconscious represented as a remote concrete mountain fortress peopled by armed heavies.

For a better variation on the theme, see the Red Dwarf episode Better Than Life - and the book for that matter.

For a better variation on the theme, see the Red Dwarf episode Better Than Life - and the book for that matter.

Strangely throughout I was thinking of a red dwarf episode myself. Terrorform, where they go into Rimmers mind and fight his demons.

Strangely throughout I was thinking of a red dwarf episode myself. Terrorform, where they go into Rimmers mind and fight his demons.

Three hours of my life I can't get back. Shyte. No human touch, no plotline, no feeling for any of the characters.

Purely and simply a film for geeks. Fair play though - the audience they have aimed it a will probably go back and see it four times cos it beats sitting in front of a computer all day and talking to your imaginary friends.

Just finished watching "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" for the second time.... or as it could be referred to "Inception with emotion"

IMO a better film.

Edited by pukka

Just finished watching "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" for the second time.... or as it could be referred to "Inception with emotion"

IMO a better film.

Gondry has amazing vision, he also did some brilliant Demo's/Promo's for the Chemical Brothers, and Be Kind Rewind...

Playing catchup with Kermode's podcasts, and I've got up to the Inception reviews - and I agree with everything he says, Inception is a blockbuster that requires its audience to think about it - however that's not the interesting bit, Dreamscape is, or at least the parallels. He mentions Dreamscape with Dennis Quaid and Max von Sydow amongst others. For a film that's 26+ years old, it looks "watchable", I'll have to find it.

I suppose Inception is another one of those love it or hate it flicks, it doesn't matter really does it! Each to their own.

Gondry has amazing vision, he also did some brilliant Demo's/Promo's for the Chemical Brothers, and Be Kind Rewind...

Playing catchup with Kermode's podcasts, and I've got up to the Inception reviews - and I agree with everything he says, Inception is a blockbuster that requires its audience to think about it - however that's not the interesting bit, Dreamscape is, or at least the parallels. He mentions Dreamscape with Dennis Quaid and Max von Sydow amongst others. For a film that's 26+ years old, it looks "watchable", I'll have to find it.

I suppose Inception is another one of those love it or hate it flicks, it doesn't matter really does it! Each to their own.

+1

I find it amazing how those who hate it are being so perseverant in letting everyone know they hate it... and that they still hate it... and, oh by the way, they still really hate it! :lol:

I don't hate it.

It was a thread about the film - what should someone who didn't love it say? "I love it, I really do" or not comment? What would be the point if the only reviews any film got were good ones?

I'm going to see Toy Story on Thursday and Inception again on Sunday as long as the post game celebrations haven't given me the hangover from hell!

+1

I find it amazing how those who hate it are being so perseverant in letting everyone know they hate it... and that they still hate it... and, oh by the way, they still really hate it! :lol:

I didn't say I hated it, just that it was superficial, badly written, badly plotted, corny, turgid, artless, vapid...

You get the picture.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this film was utter genius!

The best film I have seen a long time. The fact that I didnt really have much of a clue what was going on until about an hour and a half the way through it.

Also, to summarize, what is everyone's opinion on the final scene. Do you think it's reality or that he's still in a dream. Initially, I though it was reality just because he brought himself to see his children's faces again and that children did age a bit and were (according to the costume director in the cast) wearing different clothes at the end.

However on second thoughts, I'm becoming more inclined into believing he was in a dream all thoughout the film and that Cobb was actually the focus of a plot to get him to rid himself of the guilt he had over Mal's possible suicide (Maybe she isnt actually dead)??

Any thoughts?

Edited by sjk2008

I saw it last night, not bad, much, much better than I was expecting but far from a lot of the gushing praise. An entertaining piece of hokum with good effects, humour and good pacing once it gets going but as has been said I didn't really care about the characters or whether they succeeded or failed. I bet Nolan is a fan of the game Fallout 3, the scenes of their collapsing city and the snow fortress are very reminiscent of the game.

As soon as the penny dropped that the old bloke Leo meets at the beginning is Saito it is pretty much game over and the rest of the film is just how it gets to that scene. The bit where they are being driven in the van had the feel of action for actions sake, to keep the adrenaline up. If Fischer hadn't had the "protection" it would have been a straight forward drive to the bridge.

As Peter Griffin would say "it insists upon itself", I enjoyed it and as the actress said to the bishop, I didn't really feel it's length although the numb bum was just starting to kick in towards the end.

I thought this film was utter genius!

The best film I have seen a long time. The fact that I didnt really have much of a clue what was going on until about an hour and a half the way through it.

Also, to summarize, what is everyone's opinion on the final scene. Do you think it's reality or that he's still in a dream. Initially, I though it was reality just because he brought himself to see his children's faces again and that children did age a bit and were (according to the costume director in the cast) wearing different clothes at the end.

However on second thoughts, I'm becoming more inclined into believing he was in a dream all thoughout the film and that Cobb was actually the focus of a plot to get him to rid himself of the guilt he had over Mal's possible suicide (Maybe she isnt actually dead)??

Any thoughts?

No.

Who cares if she is dead? Who cares if it's still a dream at the end?

My problem is that there's no 'Give a :censored:' factor. There's nothing I give a toss for in the plot. Inception is a profoundly boring film. Is Leo awake or asleep? Is his wife dead or alive? Are his kids real? Did the silver-spoon corporate heir break up the firm? Did his dad love him? Is First Class on the plane really that boring?

If you are interested in these questions, you need to get out more, but not, I suggest, to the cinema.

So because you have a difference in an opinion to mine and many others, you feel the need to add that petty little sentence at the end?

The film interested me greatly, as i'm sure it did others, just because you don't like the film doesn't mean I cant ask others for their thoughts.

I'll remember to only go the cinema in the future if it comes with your recommendation shall I? Idiot.

Edited by sjk2008

So because you have a difference in an opinion to mine and many others, you feel the need to add that petty little sentence at the end?

The film interested me greatly, as i'm sure it did others, just because you don't like the film doesn't mean I cant ask others for their thoughts.

I'll remember to only go the cinema in the future if it comes with your recommendation shall I? Idiot.

I with you man, it was my kind of film - I loved it. Other people don't, fair do's - we all can't like the same things and Will clearly doesn't like it. However he's clearly on a wind up, so don't rise to it.

It was a great film however mate, I only hope they don't spoil it with a franchise and create a sequel - law of diminishing returns and all that...

Yeah, i was discussing that with the missus after the film, I really hope they don't make a sequel, after all, as mentioned earlier, the Matrix sequels were appalling.

Inception is a definite 10/10 film for me

I am so, so sorry.

I was just saying, like. Seriously, the world is missing a great deal by your incarcerating yourself like that. When I just think of all those people to whose pointless existence you could bring meaning, I weep. They're waiting for you to enlighten them on corporate ethics, the difference between sleeping and waking, the various curiosities of dreaming, and your opinions of first class travel.

I said that you need to get out more not because you're seemingly obsessed about a vapid, meaningless and in many other ways fraudulent film, but because you have much to offer that the world is currently cruelly denied.

Are you going to take 'Muppet' back now I've cleared up that simple misunderstanding?

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill