Abbott to Charlton for £75k

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this was the pre-op Abbott we were talking about I would be angry. Angry and tired.

However, from what I've seen of him since the op and in particular, this pre-season, £75k is a very good amount for someone who came on a free.

I'm not one for the 'players should run around for 90 minutes like Warney' bandwagon, but after watching the forwards tenaciously close down Bolton in the 85th minute of a friendly match that was well and truly in the bag, I've got to say, Pav's a square Pole for a round hole.

May I just add, this must be a pretty appealing move for him too, so good luck to the lad.

I’d have to say that I’d take a Pawel over Tom, Ryan, Lewis and the new lad Dean. Just because he doesn’t “do a Warne” doesn’t make him a lazy striker. The fact that he managed to get 13 goals in the awful side that was ours last season speaks volumes of him IMO. He is a cracking link striker; who is IMO our most technically gifted player.

BUT; if he’s not in PD’s plans, PD doesn’t rate / like him or it has come from above PD that Pawel’s wages are needed to be freed up – then it makes sense for him to move on. I’d be spitting feathers if he goes to nothing; but if a decent fee * is received then that at least softens the blow of losing our best striker somewhat.

I thought the Bolton game showed where Abbott is in PD’s plans – Brooke & Feeney starting; Eaves coming on to replace Feeney and Dickov himself replacing Brooke late on. Now whether it’s PD’s own choice or whether he’s been told to plan without Abbott for financial reason; I guess that wont necessarily come out will it?

* Is £75K a decent fee for PA? I’d say that’s £25K short of what I’d value him at.

Now whether it’s PD’s own choice or whether he’s been told to plan without Abbott for financial reason; I guess that wont necessarily come out will it?

I would like to think that Corney sets the budget and Dickov makes the playing decisions to fit with that budget.

Although there is often the suggestion that somebody above team manager is hiring certain players at certain times.

Some astonishing comments on here about Abbott's performances last year. The man was consistently class; superb touch and vision which could have bagged us a dozen goals more at least if he had better players around him, and the fact that he seemed willing to play while practically on one leg says a lot for his attitude.

If he is going to go then I concur that £75k seems a reasonable fee given age and injury history, but you do have to think that it puts an awful lot of pressure on the young lads at the club if Feeney is our only first choice striker. Dickov's recent record doesn't inspire confidence, so you would hope that we would be in the market - only thing is though that centre-half is potentially even more urgently requiring attention.

QUOTE (biggie21 @ Jul 30 2010, 12:37 PM)

abbott reportedly missed training today as well

QUOTE (singe @ Jul 30 2010, 13:27 PM)

Royle Army's potential biggest scoop, and where is he?

Ah, but is that from the horses mouth, so to speak? :wink:

Abbott sale is probably a good deal because i dont think he will fit into PD style of play.

Obviously a big emphasis on defending from the front and that is probably Abbotts biggest weakness.

He would struggle to last 45 min playing the way PD wants him too !!

Thanks for your goals last season Pawel because they certainly kept us up.

What a joke.

He's our best striker, he's one of the most technically gifted strikers in the division, his hold up play would compliment a goal scoring striker perfectly and he's capable of chipping in with a second striker amount of goal (12-16).

I'll be gutted if this happens, Feeney's not been here for 5 minutes and he's already injured, we've got a promising player in Eaves who's likely to be sold. Future Stalybridge Celtic hall of famers Ryan Brooke and Lewis Alessandra, some amateur player from Ireland, which bascially equates to kick about on a park with some mates level of football, and a over the hill Paul Dickov.

Stuff you Dickov, Abbott should be getting another 2 year deal, not forced out of the club.

Pawel Abbott Oldham's No 9.

We never retain our top goalscorers (Beckett, Porter, Davies, Hughes and now Abbott) no wonder we don't make any bloody progress.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Abbott:

Pro:

- Good hold up play

- Top scorer last year

- Technically very gifted

Con:

- Injury prone

- Slow

- Perceived to be lazy

- Expensive?

He was the best of a very bad bunch last season but 13 goals is hardly ripping up trees. What worries me is the amount of games we didn't score at all when he didn't play. That said hopefully there will be a different system this season.

QUOTE (biggie21 @ Jul 30 2010, 12:37 PM)

abbott reportedly missed training today as well

QUOTE (singe @ Jul 30 2010, 13:27 PM)

Royle Army's potential biggest scoop, and where is he?

Ah, but is that from the horses mouth, so to speak? :wink:

Maybe RA is on the case and will report back later!!

:detectivegm0:

He's never gonna be 100% match fit coz he's always recovering from some sort of injury, If we're gonna be playing at a higher tempo this season then he wont fit in.

If he does go though, we need a replacement. If Eaves goes too it leaves us with Brooke, Feeney, Alice, Kelly and Dickov - not enough firepower IMO.

What a joke.

He's our best striker, he's one of the most technically gifted strikers in the division, his hold up play would compliment a goal scoring striker perfectly and he's capable of chipping in with a second striker amount of goal (12-16).

I'll be gutted if this happens, Feeney's not been here for 5 minutes and he's already injured, we've got a promising player in Eaves who's likely to be sold. Future Stalybridge Celtic hall of famers Ryan Brooke and Lewis Alessandra, some amateur player from Ireland, which bascially equates to kick about on a park with some mates level of football, and a over the hill Paul Dickov.

Stuff you Dickov, Abbott should be getting another 2 year deal, not forced out of the club.

We never retain our top goalscorers (Beckett, Porter, Davies, Hughes and now Abbott) no wonder we don't make any bloody progress.

How to give a new manager backing -

condemned before the season starts.

Whatever happens next season i am sure the football MUST be more entertaining to watch and we will finsh higher in the league.

If not then were all doomed !!!!!!! :huh:

Edited by losesome

I'm distraught. I haven't been as gutted to see a player go since....ever. I mean when Wellens left recently I was annoyed we;d lost our best midfielder but Abbott top lad as well as our second best player. Dickov you old bastard, stay retired, manage us if you have to, but I would; rather have Pawel Abbott on the pitch than you everytime. He's a good striker, you were an average striker when you were prime, now you wouldn't get in Oldham Town's side.

If we have to sell him he's worth 200k if Calvin Zola was.

I'm distraught. I haven't been as gutted to see a player go since....ever. I mean when Wellens left recently I was annoyed we;d lost our best midfielder but Abbott top lad as well as our second best player. Dickov you old bastard, stay retired, manage us if you have to, but I would; rather have Pawel Abbott on the pitch than you everytime. He's a good striker, you were an average striker when you were prime, now you wouldn't get in Oldham Town's side.

I may be getting to old for this message board lark because I can't tell if you're fishing or not.

BUT; if he’s not in PD’s plans, PD doesn’t rate / like him or it has come from above PD that Pawel’s wages are needed to be freed up – then it makes sense for him to move on. I’d be spitting feathers if he goes to nothing; but if a decent fee * is received then that at least softens the blow of losing our best striker somewhat.

Thats exactly the point, if he is not in PD's plans, we could use the wage elsewhere.

And I would think that Abbott will be one of the better earners.

What a joke.

Shove your dummy back in your mouth.

Dickov has openly said it will take a big amount to sell him, and Abbott going may allow us to keep Eaves.

If he doesnt fit in PD's style then its PD's choice to let him go, he shouldnt be kept because of what you think.

Brooke and Alessandra hall of famers for SC? Doubt it, they have quality in them they just need to be developed in the right way.

Swindon signed an amateur last season, maybe they shouldn't of got him? Oh no sorry he got them 20 goals in his first season. Rubbish because he was a amateur. Abbott never really set the world alight here did he? And out them players you named ( Beckett Porter Hughes etc..) Abbott got the least amount of goals out of them.

Dickov average striker in his prime? If Dickov was only 'average' then that must Abbott rubbish since Dickov has proved himself in the Prem.

Abbott was out of breath 10-20 mins into games last season with DP's slow tactics. He'll be done after 5 minutes from Dickov's style.

But i agree with your last point. If zola went for £200k Abbott should be at least the same

If a club puts in 500k, Eaves is gone. Then what? Our two target men have gone. Feeney is injured. That leaves us with

Kelly, Brooke (ooh, yes please!), Alessandra, Smalley and Dickov.

Relegation beckons. Abbott is the only consistency we have upfront.

We're such a shyte club. If Abbott goes I hope when we play Chalrton he tears us a new arsehole and rubs it in Dickhead's face.

You don't just sell your best striker, needlessly for 75k. What a load of crap. If he's good enough for Charlton he's good enough for us. This club deserves shít. Around this level you usually end up with big dopey target men (Akinfenwa, Akinbiyi, Zola, Savage, Showunmi), he actually got one with technical ability. The ability to take the ball down, a player with a bit of finesse, perfect foil for a goalscorer. And we let him swan off. We deserve shyte amateur players.

Stuff this club. We are a joke. The sooner we move to Failsworth and wither and die the better.

Edited by PlayItLivo

If a club puts in 500k, Eaves is gone. Then what? Our two target men have gone. Feeney is injured. That leaves us with

We're such a shyte club. If Abbott goes I hope when we play Chalrton he tears us a new arsehole and rubs it in Dickhead's face.

You don't just sell your best striker, needlessly for 75k. What a load of crap. If he's good enough for Charlton he's good enough for us. This club deserves shít. Around this level you usually end up with big dopey target men (Akinfenwa, Akinbiyi, Zola, Savage, Showunmi), he actually got one with technical ability. The ability to take the ball down, a player with a bit of finesse, perfect foil for a goalscorer. And we let him swan off. We deserve shyte amateur players.

Stuff this club. We are a joke. The sooner we move to Failsworth and wither and die the better.

So a manager is not allowed to shape his own team as he sees fit then is he?

Don't get me wrong, withoug Abbotts goals last season we would have been relegated. But no player in that squad is untouchable. Dickov has the right to shape the team as he sees fit, and if that doesnt include abbott, then so be it. This is a decision that he will be judged on, and if in May 2011 we have yet again been struggling for goals all season and Abbott has hit 16 for Charlton, then you can say you were right.

You hope we get beat by a playter that might be going becasue or rumours on the internet.

You hope we go under.

Because of the sale of a very under performing player with a dodgy injury record.

You are making some big assumptions.

Abbott is actually going.

No one else will be signed

Get a grip.

School holiday time, folks.