Favourite Latics Matches

Moving on from the Goosebumps Sheff Weds game thread, what three latics games in the correct order are the best/favourite games you have witnessed Latics being involved in:

Mine are

1/ Oldham vs Sheff Weds - we won the league, the emotional scenes will never be forgotten to any Latics fan.

2/ Oldham vs Forest - Although we were beaten in the final, just to walk down Wembley Way with thousands and thousands of Latics fans is a great memory. I remember stopping at the service station on the way to London and it had been totally taken over by Latics, i still have a t-shirt with Andy Ritchie "he's got no hair but we dont care" from the final.

3/ Oldham vs Southampton - Nearly as good as the other two, the great escape was completed with a 4-3 win despite the effort of the magician :ranting: Matt Le Tissier who tried his best to get us relegated with a superb hat-trick.

Moving on from the Goosebumps Sheff Weds game thread, what three latics games in the correct order are the best/favourite games you have witnessed Latics being involved in:

Mine are

1/ Oldham vs Sheff Weds - we won the league, the emotional scenes will never be forgotten to any Latics fan.

2/ Oldham vs Forest - Although we were beaten in the final, just to walk down Wembley Way with thousands and thousands of Latics fans is a great memory. I remember stopping at the service station on the way to London and it had been totally taken over by Latics, i still have a t-shirt with Andy Ritchie "he's got no hair but we dont care" from the final.

3/ Oldham vs Southampton - Nearly as good as the other two, the great escape was completed with a 4-3 win despite the effort of the magician :ranting: Matt Le Tissier who tried his best to get us relegated with a superb hat-trick.

Can't disagree with those....

One of my favourite in recent years was when we beat the then League Leaders, QPR, 2-1 at home just after Dowie left. One of the greatest cult heroes we've had in recent times got on the score sheet........................

Ohh Johnny Eyre, Johnny Johnny Johnny Eyre...

One of my favourite in recent years was when we beat the then League Leaders, QPR, 2-1 at home just after Dowie left. One of the greatest cult heroes we've had in recent times got on the score sheet........................

ERNIE!

there are a few other games which didnt quite make it into my top 3, Man.Utd Fa cup semis, Southampton Away in the cup with the last gasp win, Everton Away in the Fa Cup, Arsenal at home when we beat them 3-1 on the famous plastic and who can forget the demolition job on West Ham in the semi first leg.

In recent times the beating we gave to Forest in the league at BP wasnt to bad.

Games which stand out for me:

1. Man United at Wembley. I was only a kid and it meant the world to me. I cried all the way home.

2. Everton away in the FA Cup. An epic day out and an amazing result. Shame my hayfever tried to kill me on the way home.

3. Forest in the League at BP when we put five past them. Not only was it a great game but a good friend of mine was sat next to me thoughout and is a massive Forest fan, which made it so much sweeter.

Games which stand out for me:

1. Man United at Wembley. I was only a kid and it meant the world to me. I cried all the way home.

2. Everton away in the FA Cup. An epic day out and an amazing result. Shame my hayfever tried to kill me on the way home.

3. Forest in the League at BP when we put five past them. Not only was it a great game but a good friend of mine was sat next to me thoughout and is a massive Forest fan, which made it so much sweeter.

How the hell did you suffer from Hayfever in January?

in recent years...

3-0 at Hudds, 5-0 v Forest, 1-0 at Everton, the Leeds game a few days before that

makes you realise that when it was good under Shez it was really, really good :grin:

best ever - goes without saying

one I always remember as a kid that never gets mentioned was a Cup game against Notts County, think it was in 1991. the so far, and thereafter, dissappointing David Currie came on as a sub on a misty night to single handedly win the game in extra time.

favs (there are a few!) - sheff wed, southampton, city at home

everton, united home 1-0 (adams), leeds away 3-1, forest away 2-0, qpr away 2-1 win under dowie, crewe away over christmas 2-1 win, city away 2-1 and ... Last saturday a win and won £100 on it!!

and city at home 2-1 win and 1-0

Edited by pukka

Not really, John Eyre gave us 4 years fantastic service. In the words of Dowie, always a "7 or 8 out of 10".

Ernie gave us 18 months of (mostly) mediocre performances, although it must be said his effort could not be faulted.

personally i though thay where both :censored:e!

both lower league players although eyre did improve as time went on

both very hard working players though

Also Roger's hat trick away at Maine Road, 1988

Been thinking about this as this season is my quarter-century as a Latics fan and although it's not always been pretty, In 25 years I have seen one promotion, two relegations, one cup-final, 2 FA Cup Semi-Finals and three Play Off campaigns. Two stands knocked down, two refurbished, 11 managers, 6 chairmen and three incarnations of our mascot! So rather than posting my favourite games, (of which most will tally with everyone else), I'd rather post my own personal highlights from each of the previous 24 seasons...

86-87 - v Birmingham City Home (April '87) D2-2 An unbelievably windy day, a defiant performance from Birmingham goalkeeper Paul Tomlinson - a penalty that took an age to be stay still on the spot before being despatched by Tony Henry and a last-minute wind-fuelled own goal from Andy Linighan denying us two points.

87-88 - v Everton (LC4) (November '87) L1-2 Latics went to the home of the League Champions, and despite struggling for goals all season and with injuries, not to mention the hangover from the previous season's heartbreak - they had the audacity to take the lead through a Denis Irwin blockbuster. Two late goals, including a winner from future Latics winger Neil Adams meant Latics were downed but not disheartened.

(1) 88-89 - v Everton Home (LC3R) (November '88) L0-2 A terribly wet evening at Boundary Park saw me clinging for dear life on the Chaddy End fence, despite battering Everton two late goals from Tony Cottee denied Latics. Cottee even found time to miss a late penalty.

(2) 88-89 - Watford Home (February '89) W3-1 Latics had gone 3 months without a win, stretching back to the bonfire night win over Walsall. Despite new signings Andy Holden and the two loanees Neil Adams and Jon Hallworth, hopes were not high against the newly relegated Hornets. Two goals in a minute from Andy Ritchie put Latics in the box-seat, before a late free-kick from Denis Irwin sealed a wecome win.

89-90 - Everton (FAC5) February 1990 D2-2 Two nil down at half-time and it could have quite conceivably been double that. Latics came out in the second half and just past the hour were level. Both sides could have won it late on, the atmosphere was tremendous and me and our kid were on MAtch of the Day again clinging to the Chaddy End fence!

90-91 - Watford W4-1, Brighton W6-1, Wolves W4-1 and Plymouth W5-3 All at Home Nov-Dec '90 - These four matches ran concurrently and highlighted why watching Latics was such a pleasure in the late 80s and early 90s. Goals a plenty, a few conceded and in fact we were behind in three of the games. 19 goals for and 6 against. Ritchie 4, Redfearn 4, Henry 2, Marshall 2, Adams 1, Barrett 2, Palmer 4 scored the 19 goals and is indicative of how we spread the goals throughout the team. Highlights were Andy Ritchie's back-heel v Watford, Redferan chipping a very young David James in the same game, Redfearn's chip and Ritchie's curler v Brighton, Ritchie's rocket v Wolves and a real topsy turvy battle with Plymouth where nemesis Keith Edwards on loan with the Pilgrims scored his customary goal for his new club. Kenny Brown scored an absolute belter that night for Plymouth too.

91-92 - Man City Away W2-1 1-0 down to an early David White goal, two injuries in City's defence saw Latics run riot in the second-half with Graeme Sharp's first two league goals for his new club. Latics fans were ecstatic in the Platt Lane end, congaing well before the final whistle to celebrate Latics first away win back in the top-flight.

92-93 - Everton Away D2-2 Feb '93 A memorable afternoon started sombrely for the fans in attendance with minutes silence for murdered two year old James Bulger. Latics conceded a nothing penalty, before Stuart Barlow out jumped a woefully out of form Steve Redmond to put the hosts 2-0 up. Latics fans were singing "you couldn't score in a brothel", well they did thanks to last gasp goals from Neil Adams, bagging a brace in the final three minutes against his former club. One an equally nothing penalty to rival that despatched by the Toffees Peter Beardsley earlier that afternoon and the second a rasping near-post volley thanks to Ian Marshall's flick-on to send the visiting fans delirious. My old fella was sat there sulking even after Adams reduced the deficit with his penalty but to this day I have never seen him move as quick to celebrate a goal when Adams nicked the equaliser! Funnier still was the 'Scored twice in a brothel..' chants as we exited the Bullens Stand at Goodison!

93-94 - Bolton Away W1-0 (FAC 6) March '94 As I was only 17 at the time I wasn't a season ticket holder, I had been working for less than a year and was on peanuts. I hadn't a prayer of getting a ticket and couldn't get through to the Bolton ticket office. However as a regular lunch-time visitor to rummage through Jim Kirton's programme shop and often stopping for a chat, Jim sorted me out a ticket, better still a customer at work sorted me a ticket for my dad and my cousin got me one for my mate, so we'd be at the big game after-all! Bolton had the better of the first-half, before Latics came more into it in the second period. Stalemate ensued until Beckford's late winner sent us mental! I had recently purchased the green and navy away shirt with Beckford 17 on the back, big mistake as coming out of the ground I was chased all the way up Manchester Road to the roundabout! Nowadays I wouldn't be as swift and probably would have had to endure a good ol' kicking!

Part II to follow...

Edited by oafcprozac

The Royle wonder years are full of options and there are some obvious ones mentioned on here.

Wembley - great day, but ultimatlely the ending takes the edge off it.

Ipswich - amazing day, but promotion always seemed to be on so lacked the surprise factor

United semis - wonderful games but ultimately ended in dissappointment.

Recent cup games (City, Everton, West Ham, Derby) - great days, but one offs and quickly followed by failure.

But none of these are the perfect event for me. The following games change order depending on mood and depth of memory:

Man Utd home 9 3 93 - no chance, going down, big local team... Floated home that night and we eventuLly stayed up

Wednesday - nothing more to say other than it was like Roy of the Rovers

Southampton - though to be honest it was the last 3 games altogether. Improbable in the extreme and when coasts Le Tiss made it interesting

West Ham semi first leg - 14 years old, a major (then more than now) semi-final and a chance to see your team at Wembley for the first time. And that was when far less games were played there, so getting there to see your team was special. Imagine the nerves and tension before the game? And then you destroy them - OK it's 2 legs but not even we could throw this away and you just knew, just knew we were there.

everton away fa cup 1-0 . what an amazing day

nottingham forest away 2-0. few year back as lee says 300 of us outsung 17000 or so forest fans. only ball ache that day was getting to the bookies and it being closed so couldnt put my bet on - oldham 2-0 porter first goal at 275-1 not happy

leeds away 3-1 few days before the everton game

Bit of a leftfield one, but when we won 2-1 at Swindon under Brian Talbot, which pretty much guaranteed our survival after the summer when Chris Moore nearly broke us. Paul Murray and Jermaine Johnson scored.

300 Latics fans sung "Oh when the blues" for the whole of the second half without pausing for breath.......

How the hell did you suffer from Hayfever in January?

Yeah i thought that. Are you sure it wasn't some kind of reaction to the fumes from the chippy fire?

but yeah Everton away was probably the best match i've been at. Along with winning 2-0 at Leeds the season before last, and of course beating Ronnie Moore's Tranmere to go top of the league in 2007.

I am tempted to say the 3 final games of the Great Escape. I was at all three, and cried when we beat Southampton. I wasn't premenstrual then :wink:.

Unfortunately, no tv cameras caught my glee after the Villa game :grin:.

I know you were - I've seen the youtube clip of you on the coach back from Villa!