Neal Eardley

i never rated neal he hasnt played must games for them.

28 times last year ..... Blackpool should ask for some money back. :blink:

From little Oldham Athletic to the Premiership ... he's must be rubbish, but at least he can take consolation in now playing home games in a four sided ground!!

My impression is that Holloway rates him highly, but aside from the injury he needs to learn that Holloway expects certain things from his players, in particular a certain standard of behaviour off the pitch - especially when you're supposed to be in recuperation.

That's not to say he's going to be shut out, far from it. Holloway knows how to handle youngsters and make sure they learn their lessons.

I reckon we'll see Neal in a Blackpool shirt more than a few times this season. And I hope it doesn't turn out to be his only season in the Prem.

What Sheridan failed to do with Eardley is what probably cost him his job: he let things just unfold and didn't try and stop them.

For example, Eardley developed the whack down the flank trick. He did it time and time again, and he lost most fans doing it. The entire side developed this.

I expect Holloway will iron that out of him.

Always rated Eardley and felt that he could potentially play in the Premiership, the stick he got while he was here was a farce at times. People seemed to forget that he was only in his late teens/ early twenties was not the full article while he was here. Was gutted when he went to Blackpool as I thought that it wasn't much of a step up but a year a long time in football.

Always rated Eardley and felt that he could potentially play in the Premiership, the stick he got while he was here was a farce at times. People seemed to forget that he was only in his late teens/ early twenties was not the full article while he was here. Was gutted when he went to Blackpool as I thought that it wasn't much of a step up but a year a long time in football.

i know he was young, but after 3+ years in the 1st team playing god knows how many games, what frustated me was the none improvement on his distribution at all, constantly hoofing it down the line instead of looking for a pass when under no pressure and when delivering a cross, simply whacking it in instead of taking a few seconds to look up and find a team mate to play it to or towards.

That was a minor point though, for me his attitude stunk and still stinks by the sounds of it at blackpool and his off the pitch 'im injured' behaviour.

Stockport away in Shez's last year, gave up tackling and running back letting them score their 3rd and tranmere at home in that season, again gave up chasing back and laughed at the latics fans in the RRE. Clearly thought hed made it playing for wales.....

Good riddance to the arrogant git in my opinion.

Give me Kieran Lee any day of the week, oozes quality and class and can also defend which Eardley struggled with positioning wise.

i know he was young, but after 3+ years in the 1st team playing god knows how many games, what frustated me was the none improvement on his distribution at all, constantly hoofing it down the line instead of looking for a pass when under no pressure and when delivering a cross, simply whacking it in instead of taking a few seconds to look up and find a team mate to play it to or towards.

That was a minor point though, for me his attitude stunk and still stinks by the sounds of it at blackpool and his off the pitch 'im injured' behaviour.

Stockport away in Shez's last year, gave up tackling and running back letting them score their 3rd and tranmere at home in that season, again gave up chasing back and laughed at the latics fans in the RRE. Clearly thought hed made it playing for wales.....

Good riddance to the arrogant git in my opinion.

Give me Kieran Lee any day of the week, oozes quality and class and can also defend which Eardley struggled with positioning wise.

Opinions opinions – different opinions eh?

Personally I think your posts a crock of sh!&e :wink: – Eardley IMO is a class act, but hey ho – people see the game differently don’t they?

Oh, and whilst this isn’t a knock at Kieron Lee; he’s a new RB at a L1 club learning his trade – Eardley is an International FB playing in the Prem; for 2 players of a similar age; that’s a massive gulf in class & ability

Edited by slystallone

Opinions opinions – different opinions eh?

Personally I think your posts a crock of sh!&e – Eardley IMO is a class act, but hey ho – people see the game differently don’t they?

Oh, and whilst this isn’t a knock at Kieron Lee; he’s a new RB at a L1 club learning his trade – Eardley is an International FB playing in the Prem; for 2 players of a similar age; that’s a massive gulf in class & ability

To be fair, its harder to get into the English national team than to get into the Welsh national team.

Also Lee rejected QPR to come to us.

I posted this quite a while back on this subject;

How many times does this need saying before people understand how football works. The Eardley out brigade know less about football than my mum. Eardley PREFERS to play short passes where possible, when he first broke into the team, we had players like Wellens who came looking for the ball and we had men up front who weren't afraid to show for the ball and ask for it into feet. The key component though as I say was Wellens because he moves and asks for the ball. Eardley, could give it him and look for a return and even Captain Slow was more of an assett and made life much easier for Eardley.

Now what has he got to aim for? Until recently a disinterested Lee Hughes, lacking in pace and looking to get in behind the defence, not really going to happen. A string of fairly useless has beens brought in on loan who hardly look interested and youngsters like LA, who although pretty talented, aren't the finished article. It is however important to note that Eardley's best performances have largely come when LA is on the pitch, why? It's because he wants the ball to feet where possible and he looks for it. Throughout the rest of the team who else actually looks like they want the ball? Taylor, marked by 2 sometimes 3 men, can you think of anyone else? When there is a bit of movement, Eardley is superb because he has the ability to play a 'pass and move' style game, that's probably why his best games have come fopr Wales this season when the game is much shorter and suited to him. When there is nothing but a percentage ball to hit over and over again, is it possible for him to look anything other than average? especially when you factor in our lack of pace up front and unwillingness to pressure the defence. How has DJ done since he came back from Wolves? Good the first time, but forget a half decent performance against Leeds, I can hardly think of any game worth shouting about. So why is this? Again it comes down to lack of movement ahead of him and unfortunately the fall from grace of Lee Hughes. DJ has been giving the ball away just as much if not more than Eardley, yet it's Eardley who gets the flack. Early in the season when the players were playing with a bit more finesse and everyone wanted the ball, DJ stood out as a great prospect, that's because he plays a similar game to Eardley, he wants to play it short and look for a return and combine with the winger.

Eardley wasn't fantastic at the start of the season, but he was steady and having a lethargic Andy Liddell ahead of you doesn't do you any favours. A couple of years back it was a decent combination, but for the most part having Liddell as your only outlet except playing percentages isn't much to work with. Eardley will play higher than L1 in his career, 'there's no doubt about that', he CLEARLY has the ability. Despite putting in fairly reasonable performaces he has been made this seasons scapegoat because people don't understand the game. Watch how many times he creates some time for himself by beating his man with his almost trademark cut inside only to look up and see nothing ahead of him but static men in blue holding hands with their markers, criminal it is! That's why he sometimes gets caught in posession or is forced to give it away.

Back to the P'boro game, superb ball for the goal, a couple of other decent crosses as well. The second goal for them, if anyone's fault, was surely Supple's. He failed to shout for it earlier in the half when Hazell, stood right in front of him headed out for a corner when Supple could easily have shouted for an easy catch. The same happened again (I didn't hear a shout from the front of the RRE anyway, correct me if i'm wrong though) and Eardley went to routinely head back to his keeper who given the lack of communication he expected to be on his line still.

You also mention Kieran Lee (who i've rated and said should be in the team since the first time I saw him play, it was just obvious) with regards to Eardley. But considering the above point, do you not think KL is beneffiting from playing in a team that want the ball and offer themselves to the way that he wants to play? I see their styles as very similar in how they pass the ball into feet and look to move off the man in posession (something that impressed me straight away about KL and his ability to find space). Do you not think Eardley in the current team would shine as well? I'm not trying to take anything away from Lee of course here, i've probably been his biggest supporter whilst he's been at the club, I just think you're doing a huge diservice to Eardley.

Does nobody else feel Eardleys best games were when he played centre midfield , especially the day he single handedly ripped Crewe apart? I was always peeved that Sheridan never used him their the next season after that performance

I am, and always was, a massive Eardley fan. But I'm sure if Keiran Lee was Welsh, he would also be an international.

I am, and always was, a massive Eardley fan. But I'm sure if Keiran Lee was Welsh, he would also be an international.

Fair call.

The "improving player" is always a joy to watch.

Eardley wasn't going to improve if he stayed in a Latics team managed by Sheridan or Penney.

Does nobody else feel Eardleys best games were when he played centre midfield , especially the day he single handedly ripped Crewe apart? I was always peeved that Sheridan never used him their the next season after that performance

Yep I agree with this. I saw him play about 4 games in centre mid and to me they were his best performances for the club. he never had great positional sence which is why he got cought out a few times at right back but he couldn't half tackle. Also if you gave him time with the ball at his feet which he got quite a lot of when at full back, he would constanly try and hit as far as he could and it usually ended up in the main stand or lookers whereas when he was in midfield he tended to seem calmer and was suprisingly very accurate with his passing.