Hayemaker Vs Fraudley

As much as MMA (well UFC - Strikeforce, DREAM and the like are nowhere near UFC in terms of popularity) is the "sexy" contact sport of the moment, a decent, top quality boxing title fight will still outstrip UFC for PPV buys.

That here lies the problem Rummy. Apart from a hopeful Pacquaio V Mayweather bout in 2011 (If it ever happens), there isn't many "Top Quality Boxing Matches" out there. Especially in the HW division.

The main reason in which the MMA organisations are attracting more interest due to exciting fights, i think, is because noone in that 'sport' gives a toss about their perfect zero record to the point where they pick their opponenets. MMA fighters will generally fight anyone, even it is a fight that could rid them of their zero. Boxers seem to cherish the zero stat.

Thats my opinion anyway.

That's a good point. The zero loss has a stigma attached to it in boxing. I think that in MMA the fighters, fight the respect of the man or the reputuation of the man, rather than the record (unless of course you're Paul Daley) - plus the motto of MMA is pretty much "Leave it all in the ring", and many do exactly that for fear of being cut from the rosters.

Another good point you made was the PPV fights, I suppose UFC get regular buys apart from when it spikes for the big cards (Carwin - Lesnar recently), whereas boxing really doesn't have regular bi-monthly or even monthly big PPV's like UFC has. Although sometimes I think Joe Silva sometimes struggles to pick bouts for the UFC with some divisions, as the cards are too frequent. Can't have it all ways up.

Apologies for mixing up MMA and UFC, I've tried to get into UFC but it isn't for me. Perhaps I've not given it enough of a go but there is just something I find unsatisfying about it, each to their own

I've got espn and it seems there's a UFC 637 or something every week. One the one hand it is only a small step to SummerSlam, Wrestlemania, Royal Rumble et al, on the other, the fans know when the next event is and can set their pvrs..etc..

A big proper championship boxing match will draw the paying punters in for tickets and ppv but as has already been said, these are few and far between these days. I like the kid but no way should Amir Khan be the main event on a PPV yet.

The first heavyeweight to be crowned champion since Lennox Lewis? I think the titles have switched hands a lot since Lennox retired, unless it has escaped my knowledge and he's the current undisputed HW champion?

grin.gif laugh.gif

I mean the heavyweight lineage. A guy who established as the man to beat at heavyweight. Lewis only had the WBC belt when he retires but he was the lineal champ having beaten the last lineal champ, Shannon Briggs, who beat Foreman, who beat Moorer, who beat Holyfield and it goes all the way back to 1892. Lewis retired with the lineage so the top two ranked heavyweights are suppose to fight for the vacant lineal championship, the only problem is, the top two haven't fought since Lewis retired. Wladamir has had plentty of chances whilst his brother was retired but he always fought lesser fighters. So Haye has to beat Wlad or Vitali to break up the top two and then fight the other brother for a lineal champion to re-establish.

As much as MMA (well UFC - Strikeforce, DREAM and the like are nowhere near UFC in terms of popularity) is the "sexy" contact sport of the moment, a decent, top quality boxing title fight will still outstrip UFC for PPV buys.

Especially when UFC puts on circus events like one of their top fighters, Randy Kouture v a boxer who's prime was 15 years ago who is now 80 pounds heavier than he weighed when he was a credible boxer who has never practised MMA before, James Toney.

why is haye gettin grief? he doesnt even want this fight and the brothers are scared, they wont fight him, they lie.

The Klitschko's are not scared of Haye

Haye's píseed about far too much, he's ducked both Wlad and Vitali. Haye got offered a deal, a 50/50 split for all the money in the UK and all the other countries broadcasting it, apart from Germany, where a portion of the money Wlad would keep to himself but Haye would still get a 50/50 split of everything else. Haye turned that down because he wanted a fair split of everything. The thing is, Wlad is the favourite, he has the most belt, he's the best heavyweight in the division and he's beaten far tougher opposition at heavyweight than Haye has, the deal Haye would have got would have been more than generous and he turned it down.

I think that the Grand Prix style Prizefighter Boxing and the Super Six Classic events are the best thing to happen to boxing in a long while.

Yeah, but even with the Super Six you've had 3 people drop out now and a round of matches has been lost. I like the idea, but the politics which riddle boxing make them very hard to complete without problems such as injuries, postponements, disagreements in negotiations.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Especially when UFC puts on circus events like one of their top fighters, Randy Kouture v a boxer who's prime was 15 years ago who is now 80 pounds heavier than he weighed when he was a credible boxer who has never practised MMA before, James Toney.

Toney brought the circus. It was a freak show, and I'd rather have MMA without James Toney jabbering on - it was embarrassing. I mean, credit to him but he was never going to win.

Toney wanted to do it though, he wanted the fight - calling out Lesnar, Liddell, Couture, and Kimbo - he might have had a chance with Kimbo Slice to be fair, anyway - he called them all out - he did about, ooo I don't know 5 months submission grappling training and expected to go in the ring with Couture? Ain't gonna happen. It was a non-event, he got choked out in about 3 mins, and was made to look like a floundering drunk. $500k better off mind, so he's not as thick as he sounds.

Toney later asked Couture to return the fixture under Queensbury rules - Couture said no chance, and I don't blame him.

When this was mentioned months ago, by Harrison, I said that he'd beat Haye. Pretty sure I watched Harrisons last fight and he had the balls to knock the fella out having fought 90% of the fight with one arm.

I think Haye is going to regret taking this fight. Harrison to floor him in one of the 1st 3 then finish him off. £10 of my money will be going on round 8 or 9.

Edited by ritchie82

I think that the Grand Prix style Prizefighter Boxing and the Super Six Classic events are the best thing to happen to boxing in a long while.

They were supposed to be the best thing to happen to boxing but so far have turned out pretty poor.

They were supposed to be the best thing to happen to boxing but so far have turned out pretty poor.

If remember rightly one of the more recent ones had a reserve win it because someone wasn't fit enough to box in a later round got replaced. I like the premise of the competition though and its the sort of thing which will give guys who are journeymen a decent pay day but its on a level much reduced from the world level (apart from the thing with Froch in it but no-one has bought that for some inexplicable reason).

PPV Boxing is a yank thing, which has spread around the world, unless the brothers fight each other (which still won't spark that much interest in any country outside germany/russia) or Haye gets one (add Britain in too) it doesn't matter. To get a big money PPV fight one of the boxers has to be an American (the continent).

A derth in good Yank boxing talent has allowed other fight sports to flourish. Its a bit chicken and egg but when Tyson, Holyfield were in their prime very few people had heard of MMA/UFC etc.

Amir Khan has also signed to fight and defend his belt against Marcos Maidana on 11th December, likely in Las Vegas and on Sky Box Office for £15 although it's a credible fight to put on Sky Box Office unlike some of his other fights. Although I disagree with the concept of Sky Box Office in the first place. If you're a Sky Sports subscriber you should get all sports included in your monthly bill. : /

A very tough for for Amir. Maidana will be his biggest test with 27 KOs from 30 fights. That said, Maidana is quite overrated because of his power and Khan if disciplined can easily outbox and even KO Maidana late on. But with the question marks over Khan's chin Maidana is a very risky opponent.

Edited by PlayItLivo

When this was mentioned months ago, by Harrison, I said that he'd beat Haye. Pretty sure I watched Harrisons last fight and he had the balls to knock the fella out having fought 90% of the fight with one arm.

I think Haye is going to regret taking this fight. Harrison to floor him in one of the 1st 3 then finish him off. £10 of my money will be going on round 8 or 9.

Can you really see Fraudley one his feet for 8 rounds against someone who can actually box?

Local lad, Ronnie Heffron, is on SKY's Magnificent Seven under-card on Saturday. But looks like the coverage starts just after his fight. Some good fights on that show...shame it's on Box Office. Refuse to give SKY any more of my hard-earned. Anyone know a purveyor of reliable chipped satellite boxes ?!!

Edited by Yard Dog

Local lad, Ronnie Heffron, is on SKY's Magnificent Seven under-card on Saturday. But looks like the coverage starts just after his fight. Some good fights on that show...shame it's on Box Office. Refuse to give SKY any more of my hard-earned. Anyone know a purveyor of reliable chipped satellite boxes ?!!

Meh, you know it when you sign on. It's not exactly wool over the eyes stuff.

Watched some myself, including Audley's hilarious loss to a bumfighter. Others I deem not good enough. You make your choices.

I wish we could pick and choose prices for all things like this. My price would plummet as Premiership football would do one and cricket would be the only thing I bought fron Sky (maybe Rugby league). The rest I would get from mlb.com/NFL Gameday/ESPN.

I liked those, perhaps it is the way the sport should go? As fans it is frustrating waiting for decent fights to come about so it was good knowing there were some decent "fixtures"

Prizefighter, definately. It's added the Grand Prix style of tournaments to the sport which sees (in this discipline anyway) a resolution to the event on the same evening, with a trophy which isn't a major belt title. I'm a great fan of the DREAM/PRIDE GP events, which are similar in design - I was pleasantly surprised when it was used for boxing.

Super Six has a problem though in my opinion. The talk of having six quality SMW's box it out for a unified title had delivered in the early bouts, however the problem with having fighters dropping out through injury causes a bit of a headache when reserve fighters are drafted in - or, alternatively - byes are offered. I'm not sure what is happening at the moment in S6, but isn't the Abrahams/Froch fight postponed and another fighter has dropped out? I think it's left the last series of group games all but ruined, it might end up with a farce of a finale for a massive unified title. DREAM and PRIDE GP's offered a different dvisional title belt for the GP winner rather than that divisions world title. This way a reserve winner couldn't potentially receive the "real" belt for watching the other brackets unfold from the seats, and end up fighting 10 minutes in the final.

S6 was ambitious, but it's not worked out as well as it could have.

Meh, you know it when you sign on. It's not exactly wool over the eyes stuff.

Watched some myself, including Audley's hilarious loss to a bumfighter. Others I deem not good enough. You make your choices.

I wish we could pick and choose prices for all things like this. My price would plummet as Premiership football would do one and cricket would be the only thing I bought fron Sky (maybe Rugby league). The rest I would get from mlb.com/NFL Gameday/ESPN.

I see what you're saying, but I don't fully agree. When you sign up to SKY you know the big fights will be PPV, so agree with you there. But nowadays it seems like more and more of it is PPV - there's no way a few year ago that a show like the Maginificent Seven would've been PPV.

One day everything will be PPV...even your Corrie and Eastenders...they'll charge 1p a min for your :censored:e and then stuff like major sporting events will be 0898 levels!

Amir Khan has also signed to fight and defend his belt against Marcos Maidana on 11th December, likely in Las Vegas and on Sky Box Office for £15 although it's a credible fight to put on Sky Box Office unlike some of his other fights. Although I disagree with the concept of Sky Box Office in the first place. If you're a Sky Sports subscriber you should get all sports included in your monthly bill. : /

A very tough for for Amir. Maidana will be his biggest test with 27 KOs from 30 fights. That said, Maidana is quite overrated because of his power and Khan if disciplined can easily outbox and even KO Maidana late on. But with the question marks over Khan's chin Maidana is a very risky opponent.

Since Amir started working with Freddy, disciplined is the one word I would use to describe him.

I'm yet to be convinced that he has the punch power to knock good fighters out. Handspeed is there and he has bulked up but I think he will out-point most fighters rather than knock out.

As for his chin, a good punch right on the button will floor anyone, Lewis was put down, Ali was put down.. list goes on.

Prizefighter, definately. It's added the Grand Prix style of tournaments to the sport which sees (in this discipline anyway) a resolution to the event on the same evening, with a trophy which isn't a major belt title. I'm a great fan of the DREAM/PRIDE GP events, which are similar in design - I was pleasantly surprised when it was used for boxing.

Super Six has a problem though in my opinion. The talk of having six quality SMW's box it out for a unified title had delivered in the early bouts, however the problem with having fighters dropping out through injury causes a bit of a headache when reserve fighters are drafted in - or, alternatively - byes are offered. I'm not sure what is happening at the moment in S6, but isn't the Abrahams/Froch fight postponed and another fighter has dropped out? I think it's left the last series of group games all but ruined, it might end up with a farce of a finale for a massive unified title. DREAM and PRIDE GP's offered a different dvisional title belt for the GP winner rather than that divisions world title. This way a reserve winner couldn't potentially receive the "real" belt for watching the other brackets unfold from the seats, and end up fighting 10 minutes in the final.

S6 was ambitious, but it's not worked out as well as it could have.

Nah Prizefighter is bobbins like X-Factor for boxing. Or boxing for people who don't like boxing.

Super Six was a great idea but everyone seems to be pulling out. The format avoided to politics of boxing i.e. i want 60-40. I think a draw system as to home/away would be a good idea with the winner of the draw choosing where the fight is to stop all the home ref whinging that goes on.